Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

31 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Good job we’ve got that shite oil industry to help Britain out in brexit talks??

7FCE6411-E907-4FDF-916B-2CA572EFC8E7.jpeg

This keeps cropping up particularly around the SNP yet there is no evidence that it will raise any significant extra income for the government.

- The cost of exploration is expensive

- The cost of extraction is more expensive than in places like the gulf

- Price of oil doesn't seem to be staying high for any particular length of time

What you will actually see with any of this is that the profits declared will be after the deductions for exploration and extraction costs and perhaps some other accountancy tricks leaving little for the tax man.

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, frankblack said:

This keeps cropping up particularly around the SNP yet there is no evidence that it will raise any significant extra income for the government.

- Price of oil doesn't seem to be staying high for any particular length of time

What you will actually see with any of this is that the profits declared will be after the deductions for exploration and extraction costs and perhaps some other accountancy tricks leaving little for the tax man.

Yawn! 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Brent is worth more than WTI.

Also when you pay your costs / staff in £’s and sell your product in $’s, it helps that the pound is weak.

Coupled with the crash and subsequent reduction in lifting cost’s ( as little as $3 dollars on one BP asset) you would be mad to think the North sea is finished.

As technology improves, it becomes more viable / cheaper to get it out the ground (I’m willing to bet selling the forties field is up there with some of the biggest blunders in business).

Of course there’s west of Shetland and the heavy oil fields that were previously “unviable” and I think it’s a valid point.

Delusional?  You are the one that thinks we are about the become independent!

giphy.gif

We? No, us. Not you, campbell! 

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Anyway the main achievement is there will now need to be a referendum on any final settlement before Independence. So 2 more needed. 

I don't remember a 2nd vote on the no vote. EU guarantee and home rule. Do you? 

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't remember a 2nd vote on the no vote. EU guarantee and home rule. Do you? 

I remember the 2014 vote was to settle the question for a generation typically 20 years 

19 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sorry but I must disagree with you on this, if Juncker & Tusk had listened to Cameron instead of laughing at him when he warned them that the UK was ready to leave the EU if the EU didn't show the people of the UK some flexibility when Cameron tried to negioatate some concessions from the EU in January 2016 then we wouldn't be here now.  This info came from a very close aid to Juncker about 6 months after the UK voted to leave, the EU never in a month of Sunday's thought the UK would leave.

The rest of your post I agree with, there are too many people on both the remain & leave camps who are putting their own personal ambitions & wealth before the best interests of the Country.

Very good reply JJ. I remember that meeting.  Juncker is an arrogant self serving tosser and he and Cameron never got on.  When Cameron came home with nothing, he made himself a lame duck and I knew the remain campaign was in big trouble.  My point on Cameron goes back to his allowing of the referendum in the 1st place, assuming he'd win and shut up the Leavers in his own party, which as a political gamble, backfired horribly.

Edited by SwindonJambo

22 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Brent is worth more than WTI.

Also when you pay your costs / staff in £’s and sell your product in $’s, it helps that the pound is weak.

Should we get a Brexit resolution one way or another the pound will recover.

Coupled with the crash and subsequent reduction in lifting cost’s ( as little as $3 dollars on one BP asset) you would be mad to think the North sea is finished.

I didn't say it was finished, just not the golden goose that the nationalists think will be the backbone for an independent Scotland.

As technology improves, it becomes more viable / cheaper to get it out the ground (I’m willing to bet selling the forties field is up there with some of the biggest blunders in business).

Of course there’s west of Shetland and the heavy oil fields that were previously “unviable” and I think it’s a valid point.

New technology usually doesn't enter the market cheap, and lets see how cost effective it is to extract from these previously unviable areas.  At the end of the day, if it is cheaper to extract the oil elsewhere then the big companies will take that option.

30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I remember the 2014 vote was to settle the question for a generation typically 20 years 

Guarantee of EU membership, that lasted long. Time to ask again. 

The Tories are paying the price of choosing to keep a puppet leader instead of leadership.     Too many diametrically opposed,   overly auto-empowered characters all fighting to impose their own preferred Brexit vision in a binary choice of their strategy to the last detail or no deal at all.     One eye on celebrating victory in the great Tory Party philosophical battle.    The other eye on the top job.

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

Which asset is that?

43 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Very good reply JJ. I remember that meeting.  Juncker is an arrogant self serving tosser and he and Cameron never got on.  When Cameron came home with nothing, he made himself a lame duck and I knew the remain campaign was in big trouble.  My point on Cameron goes back to his allowing of the referendum in the 1st place, assuming he'd win and shut up the Leavers in his own party, which as a political gamble, backfired horribly.

I think you are quite correct that the reason why Cameron put holding a referendum in the Tory manifesto in the first place was to shut up the eurosceptic faction of the Tory party, he probably never thought he'd ever have to hold a referendum as he'd be able to get some concessions from the EU that he'd be able to sell to the British people.

Then Juncker, Tusk el al decided to feck Cameron about, the rest as they say is history.

28 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Vote of no confidence in the  PM looking a real possibility now.

I'd agree, I think she is toast.

The question now is who takes over from her?

That's the thing.

Nobody in the Tory party wants the top job, no matter what their constant bleating on seems to suggest.

They know damn fine that Brexit is going to be a complete disaster and none of them want to be the head honcho when it all goes tits up.

Just now, Cade said:

That's the thing.

Nobody in the Tory party wants the top job, no matter what their constant bleating on seems to suggest.

They know damn fine that Brexit is going to be a complete disaster and none of them want to be the head honcho when it all goes tits up.

The one get out clause would be that they inherited it all from May.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Please please please be Jacob Rees Mogg or Boris. Bye Britain, I'd like to say it was good, but feck you! 

:laugh:

...a bit disco
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The biggest disaster in all of this is JRM's tailor.     WTAF with the double breasted jacket two sizes too large?

3900873067_99377c3d9c_b.jpg

Collective agreement in cabinet.

List of resignations plz.    None?     You better all vote with the government then or you're an absolute disgrace.

Brighton Jambo

Good speech, puts the ball firmly in opposition camp.  It is clearly a compromise agreement but the key point is that it is a very soft exit to protect national interest.  Remain is not in the national interest as it creates constitutional crisis while no deal is absolutely clearly not in the national interest.  

Should we get a Brexit resolution one way or another the pound will recover.

But it if we have a Scottish pound it would be valueless according to some of the unionist. That’s good news for the oil company’s as the costs would be in a weak currency!

I didn't say it was finished, just not the golden goose that the nationalists think will be the backbone for an independent Scotland.

The crash was used as a stick by unionist to beat independence with so can’t see why the opposite shouldn’t be applied! Scotland is the Energy capital of Europe (not just oil) and would be silly not to base at least part of the economy on that.

New technology usually doesn't enter the market cheap, and lets see how cost effective it is to extract from these previously unviable areas.  At the end of the day, if it is cheaper to extract the oil elsewhere then the big companies will take that option.

New technologies are already being used and have made fields viable already ( see mariner project) 

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Good speech, puts the ball firmly in opposition camp.  It is clearly a compromise agreement but the key point is that it is a very soft exit to protect national interest.  Remain is not in the national interest as it creates constitutional crisis while no deal is absolutely clearly not in the national interest.  

Actually yes it was a good presentation by her.    You can polish a turd after all.

Captain Sausage
16 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Andrew

Not sure what your source is but I’d confidently refute that one.

Lift prices will be at least 3x that. 

Edited by Captain Sausage

11 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

But it if we have a Scottish pound it would be valueless according to some of the unionist. That’s good news for the oil company’s as the costs would be in a weak currency!

Wouldn't it be the Euro if Scotland was independent?

The valueless of a Scottish pound would cause more significant problems elsewhere if it were chosen and was junk.

The crash was used as a stick by unionist to beat independence with so can’t see why the opposite shouldn’t be applied! Scotland is the Energy capital of Europe (not just oil) and would be silly not to base at least part of the economy on that.

I think you are making stuff up now unless you are talking about renewable energy.  The Scottish government will need to spend big on Nuclear to fill gaps in supply.

New technologies are already being used and have made fields viable already ( see mariner project) 

What effect is that having on tax take for the treasury?

Love her or hate her, May has played a blinder here by now conceding that there is a possible 3rd option (no Brexit).  Alleviating the potential losses of the ultra Brexiteers by getting the Remainers back on side.  She knows Labour have feck all to offer in this.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Guarantee of EU membership, that lasted long. Time to ask again. 

Well thanks to all the SNP supporters including MSPs who voted for Brexit.

You'll need to wait at least 3 years probably double that until the terms of Leave is settled. Meantime the SNP government can either focus on the day job or lose even more credibility. Will be a different scenario. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Well thanks to all the SNP supporters including MSPs who voted for Brexit.

You'll need to wait at least 3 years probably double that until the terms of Leave is settled. Meantime the SNP government can either focus on the day job or lose even more credibility. Will be a different scenario. 

And you think that the Tory Party and it's government has been concentrating on it's day job?     How much of the day job will be getting done by various departmental heads for the next month?

SNP day job my arse.

15 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Not sure what your source is but I’d confidently refute that one.

Lift prices will be at least 3x that. 

Production Super. According to the OCS.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Moggy's written to all Tory MP's with 4 reasons why they should vote it down.

:rofl:

Bullshit bluffs being called all round.    Mundell's imminent resignation remains pending.    Let's see them ERG letters to the party chairman then.    No post today,   aye?     Maybe tomorrow.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

There is zero chance of this passing Parliament. Zero chance. Even by the standards of UK politics, Theresa May is a rare animal - someone with absolutely no acceptance of what’s going on around her. She’s wasting time on something which she should know is dead in the water.

I can’t understand why she didn’t bail out ages ago. She’s clinging to a job which humiliates her every day. Honestly a proper weirdo.

8 minutes ago, Barack said:

Draft agreement been published. It's 585 pages.

If anyone wants to read it, and summarise it...?

Or, wait until news outlets do it for us...

I wouldn’t trust them, to a man/woman they all push their own agendas. I’ve had a quick scan and to be honest to understand it you’d need to familiarise yourself with other documents re the EU membership. 

20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Wouldn't it be the Euro if Scotland was independent?

If the people vote for it. I certainly wouldn’t. I voted leave and I voted for independence. Still to hear a convincing argument why someone would vote for 1 union and not the other.

The valueless of a Scottish pound would cause more significant problems elsewhere if it were chosen and was junk.

Agree! That comment was more tongue in cheek 

I think you are making stuff up now unless you are talking about renewable energy.  The Scottish government will need to spend big on Nuclear to fill gaps in supply.

Dont know which part you are referring to? Are you arguing against Scotland being the energy capital of Europe? 

What effect is that having on tax take for the treasury?

Not sure. But would assume it’s a huge boost to the Norwegian treasury.

My first uneducated reading is as a withdrawal agreement it should pass. However to many people with various agendas may make it difficult. 

Captain Sausage
1 minute ago, jambo89 said:

Offshore construction supervisor. 

No disrespect but I doubt the PS or a contractor would have that detail. Lowest figure I’ve heard is $8, but it’s twisting stats to get to that. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )