Neilson's time at MKD is over (updated)

dazajmbo

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

There's no denying our performances in big games were Cathro like.. His last game against Rangers apart.. Abject

Here we go.   This is the bit where people come along and cherry pick 'the big games' to try to paint the picture to suit the agenda.

What about the big games we won versus Aberdeen?    

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• socrates82

• Mars plastic

• Bazzas right boot

• Hendricks

way out west jambo

Only a matter of time, I called this bang on when he left, I stated that he’d be lucky to last 2 seasons at MK dons. Still people on here blaming Levein as the reason Neilson didn’t work out, DELUDED! It’s not Leveins fault that Neilson was and will always be a mediocre manager who sh1t’s himself in the big games.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Robbie probably left too soon and a certain over cautious approach to away games had already taken root well before he took the road south. He will probably have to rebuild his career at a lower league club in Scotland now as his stock is low but I wish him well.

I'll just re-emphasise my original point.    It's only a very small number of certain big games that mattered to people and put Neilson beyond the point of no return with them.     Just be honest about it and other people would have much more respect for your position regarding Neilson.    

All roads lead to Gorgie
11 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Agree with this. We were a fantastic team in the championship attacking all the time. If it ain’t broke don’t try and fix it yet Robbie thought he had to tear most of the team apart to go up a level when we didn’t. The first season back up was satisfactory I would say in terms of league position but the performances were starting to dip and we seen that the season he left we were back to being very inconsistent and horrific away from home. 

Wish him all the best for the future 

He over estimated the strength of the premiership, maybe on the back of a heavy defeat to celtic in a cup game in the championship year and tore up a good settled team that would have finished high enough imho!

lost in space
45 minutes ago, U.S Maroon said:

Yep same dire football as Levein serves up.

There is no doubt that CL has served up some dire football.  I did not want Levein to return as coach - however he has sorted out the defence and seems to know what areas of the team needs work.  Neilson did not seem to learn from his mistakes.  Unfortunately for him - I doubt that Crawford is a great assistant.

Stephen Muddie
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'll just re-emphasise my original point.    It's only a very small number of certain big games that mattered to people and put Neilson beyond the point of no return with them.     Just be honest about it and other people would have much more respect for your position regarding Neilson.    

I admit that I was quite rightfully calling for him to resign after the European debacle. A critic before that, that's what ended me though.

29 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Sums it up very well. I've honestly not followed how Robbie had done while at MK Dons, I'm one of those sorts who when someone leaves Tynecastle I then just move on to who replaces them, whether it be the manager or a player. I still regret that he didn't simply take what we had in the Championship and look to maintain the playing style but endeavour to take it to the next level. Unfortunately the players brought in and style of football adopted didn't work in the top division and I still feel when he did decide to go he had taken us as far as he could.

Still a lot of people saying things like "didn't work" after Championship when we were 3rd in Premiership then left us next season in similar position.

If it's all about results. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Bazzas right boot

Be interesting to see if mk Dons improve now or get worse.

When he left us, some celebrated, look what happened next.

Be up managing the next Sacking here.

So Make Some Noise..

Always thought the Robbie out mob were a bit harsh on him up here, although do concede some of the football was eye bleeding. He stripped away our natural width and to this day we've yet to recover from it. Bizarre that he's only lasted 13 months though, when he arrived at MK Dons him and the owner spoke about their long term  plans and how Robbie would be given time. Shows just how fickle the game has got! 

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

There's no denying our performances in big games were Cathro like.. His last game against Rangers apart.. Abject

Unbeaten v Aberdeen and put them out the cup.

Won the big games that mattered early on.

Euro result was poor, but not even the worse Scottish results in the past two years. Hearts unfortunately are not a European power.

His constant changing and tinkering were annoying, especially when we were winning . Sometimes changes for changes sake it would appear.

Edited by BigDave'sHeed

So Make Some Noise..
2 minutes ago, kila said:

What about the sports scientist? He was quite highly rated?

They tend to stay at clubs post managerial exits as they don't strictly form part of the 'coaching' team. Given that RN won't likely get a job at the same level or above, I'd imagine J Hill will stay put and try and carve out his own successes. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Shame for him, he’s a top

bloke! He’s still young and I’ve no doubt he’ll go on to be a top manager in the game, using this as a learning experience.

Failing in England doesn't necessarily stop a coach's career. Plenty move on and do well if they are rated including Brendan Rodgers, Martinez. 

12 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Oh dear. Too big a job too soon for Robbie?

He left a bigger job to go to MK Dons.

11 minutes ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

Always thought the Robbie out mob were a bit harsh on him up here, although do concede some of the football was eye bleeding. He stripped away our natural width and to this day we've yet to recover from it. Bizarre that he's only lasted 13 months though, when he arrived at MK Dons him and the owner spoke about their long term  plans and how Robbie would be given time. Shows just how fickle the game has got! 

He's done a terrible job and left them in the relegation zone. His sacking is overdue rather than bizarre.

Bungalow Bill
14 minutes ago, kila said:

What about the sports scientist? He was quite highly rated?

Wouldn’t take him back. He left us for MK bloody Dons. 

28 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Won the big games that mattered early on.

Euro result was poor, but not even the worse Scottish results in the past two years. Hearts unfortunately are not a European power.

His constant changing and tinkering were annoying, especially when we were winning . Sometimes changes for changes sake it would appear.

I'm a self-confessed Robbie fanboi but he wasn't unbeaten v Aberdeen. Had a relatively great record v them though.

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Simple question. Would you take him back at Hearts? I wouldn't.

Never. I still get nightmares about losing to that Maltese pub side.

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

How is 2nd right up the creek ?(HoustonJambos comment)

Instrumental in two cup wins and our promotion it shouldnt even have to be debated about his status at this club.

He left us right before a transfer window and a raft of big games. Fair enough, he is looking out for number one. Fact is, that caused us to spiral for the remainder of the season (aided and abetted by Cathro). 

Im a fan of Robbie, but it’s undeniable that his actions threw away our season. So, as far as I’m concerned, he can away and fling shite at himself before we consider bringing him back. 

21 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

You should start a poll.

It would be crazy to take him back imo.

better than Cathro, yes

better than Levein, hell no.

45 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Won the big games that mattered.

Unbeaten v Aberdeen really? Must have forgotten about the defeat at Tynie after we came back up and the Jordan McGhee pen game

8 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Watford’s Silva has just joined him on the dole. 

wow, I rate him.

Was always touted as Everton boss.

He will get another big job ok.

RN needs to take stock of where his football philosophies lie.

He started the Championship with great wins rangers/Hibs/Rangers.

He blitzed the rest of the league and nullified the remaining big games.

His turgid style of football has to produce results or he quickly loses support.

Left to his own devices he plays eye bleeding football. It's why many wanted him gone and don't want him back. Compounded by the money-spinner remark on a replay which only happened because his side blew it, then we capitulate down there. He's a bit boring tbh.

Good luck to him

zoltan socrates
5 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Left to his own devices he plays eye bleeding football. It's why many wanted him gone and don't want him back. Compounded by the money-spinner remark on a replay which only happened because his side blew it, then we capitulate down there. He's a bit boring tbh.

Good luck to him

Wasnt so much the moneyspinning comment as the 'we were beat before the game started comment that did it for me

Neilson beat hibs once iirc, that first game at tyncastle, and we were hardly all over them

fth

Brauhauser2012
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Here we go.   This is the bit where people come along and cherry pick 'the big games' to try to paint the picture to suit the agenda.

Lets ignore the trend and instead cherry pick the highlights. Typical. 

9 hours ago, cosanostra said:

It was inevitable unfortunately.

He's a good guy and was the perfect man for his time and place for us in the championship season.

The signings of Sow, Gomis, Buaben, Ozturk and even Keatings and the combination of the young players already at the club proved to be a great combination.

Unfortunately, his signings went downhill after promotion and the quality of football got worse. Some of the away performances he inflicted on us were absolutely brutal. Reading the MK Dons forum, they seem to say the same thing. Terrible signings, awful away and dire football.

Hearts are probably going to be the peak of his career but I was delighted when he left.

Wish him all the best and he'll always be remembered well for the Championship year.

This is where i'm at. I've met Robbie a few times and he's a great lad but too many of his signings let him down when we came up from the Championship.

25 minutes ago, Mollo said:

Neilson must feel raw this morning... Sky just stating Stubbs is interested in the MK job ?

The Hobo cup win was a decent career boost for Stubby, he knows who to thank.

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Wait till FT today Geoff you could get a different answer from some.

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

I agree, but folk have been using the celtic 4-0 game to ‘prove’ similar arguments regarding Levein as well. 

5 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Sums it up very well. I've honestly not followed how Robbie had done while at MK Dons, I'm one of those sorts who when someone leaves Tynecastle I then just move on to who replaces them, whether it be the manager or a player. I still regret that he didn't simply take what we had in the Championship and look to maintain the playing style but endeavour to take it to the next level. Unfortunately the players brought in and style of football adopted didn't work in the top division and I still feel when he did decide to go he had taken us as far as he could.

My memory isn't trustworthy but I feel like he tried the first couple of months, and we had results like I think a 4-3 win over St. Johnstone -- we were scoring goals but giving them up as well.

Style or no though he got points in the league dependably.

portobellojambo1
4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

My memory isn't trustworthy but I feel like he tried the first couple of months, and we had results like I think a 4-3 win over St. Johnstone -- we were scoring goals but giving them up as well.

Style or no though he got points in the league dependably.

That was the first game of the season at Tynecastle, and I was very pleased with the performance. I'd gone along hoping to see if we were ready to compete with the teams in the top division. As you say we did lose three goals in that game but didn't change how we played from the end of the Championship, just concentrated on going forward to score more goals than they did. Next game against Dundee the players had to change it at half time as first half we were horrendous. From those two games there was more than enough evidence produced to show we didn't have to change how we had played in the Championship, but it is all history now and best just being put to bed.

• 2 months later...

Is today the day that MK Dons plummet to the bottom tier.......?

If results hold, they are currently 2-0 down at Southend, Rochdale lead Bristol Rovers 1-0 (needing a win) and Walsall get the point they require (currently 0-0) they will be officially relegated.

Sow's made a right good contribution to the season eh?!!!  :laugh: