• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

54 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I like the Jarl, at least the bottle version, cask might be slightly different though.

Bottle version is  nice.

Mini cask is a lot   smoother,less carbonated.

3 minutes ago, Tott said:

Bottle version is  nice.

Mini cask is a lot   smoother,less carbonated.

Might need to get a cask once I am finished the bottles I have

This is a cracking beer from Boundary brewery in Belfast, it’s a cooperative brewery, owned and run, by its members, this beer, Eschatology 9.5% , salted caramel stout, strong flavour of coffee, fantastic 

3602B05B-5875-4819-BCE1-D627850A40E1.jpeg

On 02/11/2020 at 21:13, Ritchez said:

Had this from Tempest / Põhjala yesterday. Lovely stuff at 13.2%.

A modern take on a traditional Scottish 160/- Shilling Ale, brewed with wildflower honey and aged in a blend of Glen Garioch and Auchentoshan whisky.

dacbad707bc34421f8b158b9ba0418dd72409e1c.jpg

Tried this last night, didn’t enjoy it, was so looking forward to it, I think it may have been the honey taste, I won’t be buying it again

37 minutes ago, Tott said:

https://www.fyneales.com/mini-cask-club/

Decent price ,cancel when you want.

More suited to the blonde ale/ipa drinker tbf.

Yeah, when they were on offer I got two cases of the bottles from them. I really want them to make more of the Ragnarok, that was a citrus blonde that was 7.4% and was lovely

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Yeah, when they were on offer I got two cases of the bottles from them. I really want them to make more of the Ragnarok, that was a citrus blonde that was 7.4% and was lovely

Havent tried  Ragnarok,sure i's good though,havent had a bad beer  from fyne ales yet.

9 hours ago, Ritchez said:

Picked up this Barrel Aged Double Mochaccino Stout from Pilot. Lovely stuff.

thumbnail_Image.jpg

Going to have to try these, had the mochaccino stout before which was nice.

+1 For the Fyne ales mini cask club, trying to keep these breweries going during these challenging times, I upped my order this month😀. Also Got a couple of Jaipur mini casks being delivered tomorrow. 

Find the fridge too cold and usually keep them outside.

Had a great afternoon in the pohjala brewery tap the day after the infonet game, good to see them doing well in the UK now.

Edited by NavaarHearts
Error

Tenaciousdandy

I always like trying different unusual beers when aldi or similar shops get them in, I did have a subscription to beers 24 for a few months but was to pricey for what you get tbh 

My go to beer if going to the pub used to be mcewans 70 or 80 shilling, now its Belhaven best or Guinness 

5 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

I always like trying different unusual beers when aldi or similar shops get them in, I did have a subscription to beers 24 for a few months but was to pricey for what you get tbh 

My go to beer if going to the pub used to be mcewans 70 or 80 shilling, now its Belhaven best or Guinness 

Try Beers of Europe or Beerwulf, hundreds & hundreds of different beers from all over the World, bottles/cans from a couple of quid upwards.

Tenaciousdandy
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Try Beers of Europe or Beerwulf, hundreds & hundreds of different beers from all over the World, bottles/cans from a couple of quid upwards.

Cheers, will give it a look 

I got an email from Beerwulf this morning, saying that from the 1 January 2021 they will no longer be selling single bottles/cans, meaning that you will be unable to make up your own case anymore.  All the beer will now be in pre-packed case selections made up by Beerwulf.

I think the Sub Kegs are unaffected by this new move.

Really enjoyed this Kesennuma Stout from Tempest. Brewed in collaboration with Roto Brewery from Yokohama... Oyster sauce, clove, cardamom, and whisky barrel.

EmaZ323W8AAsY1T.jpg

Edited by Ritchez

3 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Not read through the whole thread, but has anyone tried Dark arts surreal stout as it’s available for perfect draught machine?

I've had it in can form.

"Pretty bog standard stout" was my verdict of it, although the draught might be completely different from the cans, also it might have depended how I felt on the day I tried it, we've all done it, liked a beer one day and the next day go mmmmm & vice versa.

19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've had it in can form.

"Pretty bog standard stout" was my verdict of it, although the draught might be completely different from the cans, also it might have depended how I felt on the day I tried it, we've all done it, liked a beer one day and the next day go mmmmm & vice versa.

Cheers 👍was going to order it for perfect draft machine but now out of stock. First stout beer to arrive on the machine so will probably give it a go when available. In the meantime I’ll hunt down a can of it. 

Vocation make some fantastic beers, this one from tonight is a chocolate and morello cherry imperial stout 11%, like a Black Forest gateau, a wee bit sweet but still lovely

the other from last night is a chocolate coffee and hazelnut imperial stout 12.4% which I prefer, superb 

FADE0371-BBDB-4BCE-AE20-8A8E90EE505A.jpeg

A2142536-3790-4396-B164-999E0E493BFE.jpeg

14 hours ago, jimmyjambo said:

Vocation make some fantastic beers, this one from tonight is a chocolate and morello cherry imperial stout 11%, like a Black Forest gateau, a wee bit sweet but still lovely

the other from last night is a chocolate coffee and hazelnut imperial stout 12.4% which I prefer, superb 

FADE0371-BBDB-4BCE-AE20-8A8E90EE505A.jpeg

A2142536-3790-4396-B164-999E0E493BFE.jpeg

And so they should be nice at £5, £6, £7 per can or bottle.

Only on very rare occasions would I pay that sort of money for 1 can/bottle of beer.

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Only on very rare occasions would I pay that sort of money for 1 can/bottle of beer.

I’m a great believer in   “you get what you pay for”

I normally restrict myself to 1 expensive beer on a Saturday and occasionally 1 on a Friday also, not just because of the cost, but also the strength.

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I never do or would; apart from anything else, if I'm drinking beer I like to have a few (2 or 3 at least) and therefore I've no interest in drinking anything at that strength or price. That's not to say I'm happy swilling down industrial fizz, but would always go for more of a "session-beer". I've made an exception when visiting Belgium mind you: usually have a Trappist ale as a nightcap, to round the evening off!   

1 hour ago, jimmyjambo said:

I’m a great believer in   “you get what you pay for”

I normally restrict myself to 1 expensive beer on a Saturday and occasionally 1 on a Friday also, not just because of the cost, but also the strength.

There is that, but even expensive beer can be rank sometimes.

21 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I never do or would; apart from anything else, if I'm drinking beer I like to have a few (2 or 3 at least) and therefore I've no interest in drinking anything at that strength or price. That's not to say I'm happy swilling down industrial fizz, but would always go for more of a "session-beer". I've made an exception when visiting Belgium mind you: usually have a Trappist ale as a nightcap, to round the evening off!   

Yes, I'll not happily drink the mass produced commercial stuff either, unless of course it's all there is.

Trappist & Abbey beers are my preferred tipple and there are some really good Belgian Abbey beers at 7%, 8%, 9%, 10% and are only a 2 or 3 quid a bottle, there is even a very good English Trappist (Tynt Meadow) beer at around about £2.60 a bottle.

Of course there are some which are much more expensive and on the rare occasions when I will pay for an expensive beer, it has to be something special, a one off, such as for example, Samichlaus Beer, which is only ever brewed on one day of the year on the 6 December, and is usually around 14%.   It's now brewed in Austria which I haven't had, the few I had were when it was brewed in Switzerland.

On 25/11/2020 at 20:14, heartsfc_fan said:

Not had this in a while

Z.jpg

I worked in Wallsend in the rig-building yards back in 1988 and we used to go to the pub across the road from the office every day at lunch (Albion Bar, I think) and have at least 2 bottles of The Dog' and usually 3+ on a Friday. Imagine trying to get away with that in todays workplace. 😃🍺

Edited by Hugh Phamism

21 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes, I'll not happily drink the mass produced commercial stuff either, unless of course it's all there is.

Trappist & Abbey beers are my preferred tipple and there are some really good Belgian Abbey beers at 7%, 8%, 9%, 10% and are only a 2 or 3 quid a bottle, there is even a very good English Trappist (Tynt Meadow) beer at around about £2.60 a bottle.

Of course there are some which are much more expensive and on the rare occasions when I will pay for an expensive beer, it has to be something special, a one off, such as for example, Samichlaus Beer, which is only ever brewed on one day of the year on the 6 December, and is usually around 14%.   It's now brewed in Austria which I haven't had, the few I had were when it was brewed in Switzerland.

Good point!   :icon14:

If you like a beer with a bit of spice about it, I can recommend a bottle of the following, which I had last night.

Badger Brewery - Blandford Fly (used to be called Blandford Flyer, when I first tried it years ago), it has a nice spicy ginger flavour, not overly strong but more than enough to make it noticeable.

image.jpeg.189383e7ed6b1c60b8ee3f665845a80c.jpeg

I got it from Sainsbury's (Straiton), but it is widely available in most supermarkets, cost around £1.50+ per bottle.

21 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

westindies_bg3_resized_1600-h.jpg

Yeh, Guinness have a few of these, that were resurrected from an old recipe book.

I think the other ones are Dublin Porter, Milk Stout & by far the best imo Antwerpen Stout (which I haven't seen for a while ☹️)

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, Guinness have a few of these, that were resurrected from an old recipe book.

I think the other ones are Dublin Porter, Milk Stout & by far the best imo Antwerpen Stout (which I haven't seen for a while ☹️)

It's absolutely beautiful Jimbo, Mrs Dawnrazor got it for a venison stew tomorrow so she wasn't best pleased when she came down from the bath and I'm quaffing it!!!! I honestly prefer the porter to the Guiness Stout.

I've got two Mccewans Champion to go👍

16 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's absolutely beautiful Jimbo, Mrs Dawnrazor got it for a venison stew tomorrow so she wasn't best pleased when she came down from the bath and I'm quaffing it!!!! I honestly prefer the porter to the Guiness Stout.

I've got two Mccewans Champion to go👍

Just finishing off a bottle of St. Austell Tribute, think I'll have a Stewart Brewery Hollyrood next.

Been going back through many of the beers I've not had in ages, rather than new ones, tbh there are way too many of these tropical IPA, peach & mango IPA etc etc on the market just now, not for me I'm afraid, one of the reasons I'm buying old favourites just now.

A wee heads-up for any fellow German beer fans:

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/octoberfest-at-home?p=1&nlp=&CID=UK&uu=a61a4985-36fe-4518-b47e-935d2885cb19&tx=0&utm_source=targeted_deal&utm_medium=email&sid=df7733af-679f-4586-b401-1ceaa27b2e96_0_20201216&t_division=edinburgh&date=20201612&sender=rm&s=body&c=image&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=octoberfest-at-home

Sounds like a decent deal to me and I was very tempted but reckoned that the beer probably wouldn't have a long shelf-life and so decided that drinking 30 pints on my own over the festive period probably wasn't the best plan ever.

I got an early Christmas pressie from the wife, a Jock in the Box from Broughton Brewery, on an Old Jock just now, she ordered it last week and as soon as I'd open the first bottle she got an email saying they were offering a 10% discount from today😆 Mrs DR was not happy and apparently that's not a reason to order another box😳😢😢

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I got an early Christmas pressie from the wife, a Jock in the Box from Broughton Brewery, on an Old Jock just now, she ordered it last week and as soon as I'd open the first bottle she got an email saying they were offering a 10% discount from today😆 Mrs DR was not happy and apparently that's not a reason to order another box😳😢😢

Women don't understand simple economics...   :whistling:

8 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Women don't understand simple economics...   :whistling:

Ordinarily my wife is 9ct Gold but she's ****ed up with this one.

*edit*

And apparently my argument of "we can't afford not to buy another box" "doesn't make any bloody sence"

Women......ppfftt!!

*edit again*

I also pointed out that just now you get a frew bottle opener, and it's a bloody great opener, a metal credid card sized embossed with thier insignia, but no.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Dagger Is Back

Was given this as a present. 3.2% 

This is an online review

McEwan's Levy is an extremely drinkable Scottish beer that balances roast flavour notes and a residual sweetness, with roasted coffee and hazelnut aromas

For me, it was like drinking coloured water. Very underwhelmed. 

41830A4C-7767-4CAB-998F-66F3909795F6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Was given this as a present. 3.2% 

This is an online review

McEwan's Levy is an extremely drinkable Scottish beer that balances roast flavour notes and a residual sweetness, with roasted coffee and hazelnut aromas

For me, it was like drinking coloured water. Very underwhelmed. 

41830A4C-7767-4CAB-998F-66F3909795F6.jpeg

Didn't know McEwan's did Kosher beer...   :whistling:

22 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Cant beat the red death 😁

One of the most drinkable beers imo.

Very hard to stop drinking the stuff. Top tier beverage. 

On 11/12/2020 at 19:54, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just finishing off a bottle of St. Austell Tribute, think I'll have a Stewart Brewery Hollyrood next.

Been going back through many of the beers I've not had in ages, rather than new ones, tbh there are way too many of these tropical IPA, peach & mango IPA etc etc on the market just now, not for me I'm afraid, one of the reasons I'm buying old favourites just now.

I’m really enjoying St Giles from Stewart brewery, it’s my go to beer just now.