Favourite Beer

jimmyjambo

jambogaz1968
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Probably the Carling rotting the pipes, just imagine what it does to your guts. :laugh:

:laugh:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

10 hours ago, the general said:

Shandwicks has pints of Carling or Coors for £1.50

:mellow:

They should be paying me £1.50 to drink that shit.

Carling tastes like is something you get from a cat with a urine infection. 

11 hours ago, the general said:

Shandwicks has pints of Carling or Coors for £1.50

:mellow:

Major pub chain

New manager in tow..

good luck to him...

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

They should be paying me £1.50 to drink that shit.

Carling tastes like is something you get from a cat with a urine infection. 

Sister used to live in England in the 80's and carling black label was  amazin when she brought it back up the road.

These days its awful,flavoured water at best.

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Recently sampled these beers and loved them all.5b4eed175bc64_EstrellaGalicia.thumb.jpg.616b6793aa73b7f4d4087bc41d01aea8.jpg

Alhambra 1925.jpg

Alhambra Especial.jpg

The 1906 Black Coupage was ok, they also do a lager called 1906 Reserva Especial which was quite nice.

If you ever get the chance I can recommend the Alhambra Mezquita & Alhambra Negra both of whom I thought were pretty good.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tonights taster

It's a no from me. Just not my thing.  I love mango and I love beer but not together.

Probably quite refreshing for those who are into that sort of thing though.

20180730_194137.jpg

Come to the conclusion that I like all beers, big, small, shite, great, fancy, council :lol:

Going to try and stay off it for a while, until I get away to Kraków on the 28th. Then all bets are off! 

:yas:

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

:sweeet: delightful

I really like the Badger Brewery's ales.  And they give me a break from drinking gin.

Maybe not my favourite... but in top 5 is Tsingtao. Just back from a week in Aviemore, shop had bottles of it for 79p.

Result.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, mrcrisps said:

Maybe not my favourite... but in top 5 is Tsingtao. Just back from a week in Aviemore, shop had bottles of it for 79p.

Result.

Agreed, of all the Chinese beers Tsingtao has to be the best, I think it might be the rice in the brewing which gives it it's distinctive flavour.

There used to be a decent American beer which was brewed with rice, Rolling Rock was it's name IIRC, don't see it much nowadays and I've not had it in years.

On 25/06/2018 at 00:07, TheBigO said:

Innis n Gunn Morgan??? You’re both above and below that pisswater mate!

Pisswater? The lager maybe, but the original is great! Shame they changed their branding though, the old one was much better

Mac_fae_Gillie

Thx to the long hot summer I have officially become a cider drinker.. Arghh by eck Arghh

Thatchers Haze been fav. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pupsy The Great.

image.png.30cb3d45922f16070ac94e8ae61cbaaa.png

It's a stout from Lithuania, it's really quite sweet but it's quite nice.

Pupsy was a simple horse. He worked the land and enjoyed chewing hay in the sunshine. One morning in 1999, a sinkhole opened up and swallowed Pupsy. Why is life so unfair? By drinking this beer, we remember a fine animal whose life was cut short too soon.

Psychedelicropcircle

Had a quick look through the thread surprised paolozzi isn’t mentioned although a lager rather quite nice. made in sighthill

9 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Had a quick look through the thread surprised paolozzi isn’t mentioned although a lager rather quite nice. made in sighthill

Had it at the Ivy on the Bridge, alright, nothing special tbh.

Budgie's Boyfriend
18 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Overpriced piss

heartsfc_fan
18 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

I had this for the first time on Saturday night in the Doric pub (next to Waverley).

Surprisingly nice as my mate I was with who lives in London said he had a pint or it down there and it was rotten.

Each to their own I guess ? would definitely have another pint of it.

On 01/08/2018 at 23:41, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Agreed, of all the Chinese beers Tsingtao has to be the best, I think it might be the rice in the brewing which gives it it's distinctive flavour.

There used to be a decent American beer which was brewed with rice, Rolling Rock was it's name IIRC, don't see it much nowadays and I've not had it in years.

Weak as piss. 2%.

9 hours ago, Darren said:

Weak as piss. 2%.

I assume you are meaning the Rolling Rock, it used to be around 4.6% but they lowered it down to something stupid like the 2% you mention, not sure when it changed, possibly when the original brewer Latrobe was bought over by Anheuser-Busch in 2006 and production was switched from Latrobe to Missouri, the taste changed as well, which sadly happens all too frequently when a small brewery is taken over by one the big boys, as they all too often ruin what used to be a good beer. 

1 hour ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Rolling Rock :jj_facepalm:

Reminds me of another pish lager that seemed to die of death.  Grolsch.  Hopefully Carlsberg next.

• 1 month later...

OMG just had a bottle of this stuff.

image.png.c65afdf1135262dcb54806c01ca630aa.png

Brewed it myself and just tried a bottle which was 5 weeks old, stunning simply stunning, the flavours are brilliant, long lasting head right down to the last drop and at over 8% it's got a fair kick to it.

If it's that good after 5 weeks I wonder what it'll be like after 5 months, that is if the limited number of bottles I have last that long. :toasting:

Didn't use any brew enhancer, brewing sugar or spraymalt, just genuine Dark Belgian Candy Sugar, which is what the Belgians use and they seem to have perfected the brewing of beer pretty well so far.

Got a 10 week old Flemish Brown Ale to try later tonight, looking forward to that. :)

On 18/07/2018 at 08:44, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The 1906 Black Coupage was ok, they also do a lager called 1906 Reserva Especial which was quite nice.

If you ever get the chance I can recommend the Alhambra Mezquita & Alhambra Negra both of whom I thought were pretty good.  

Alhambra 1925.. Nectar. 

In general these are my tops:

Fyne ales highlander

St bernardus abbot 12

Williams bro double joker ipa

Sierra neveda torpedo ipa

Stewarts copper cascade

Flying dog doggie style 

But without a doubt. Scandal that is was lost... Mcewans 80/- hand pulled - proper recipe... 

The recipe was changed from the diggers famous pint to take advantage of the duty laws. I was born in 87 so missed it all. When Caledonian took over they brewed it to original recipe without fanfare. Mathesons at westend was one that took it on... Best pint ever. 1st drank within 5min without trying - seriously that nice. Enjoyed it for 6 months with my dad declaring it was as good as the diggers one from 90s.. Naturally calendonian stopped cask sales to concentrate on cally 80 after a few months. 

• 1 month later...

Just had a bottle of this, very similar to a Belgian Abbey beer, really quite nice, very drinkable.

Not cheap though, £4 a bottle at Villeneuve Wines in Peebles, but Traquair is my local brewery after all, so why not.

If you ever get the chance to visit the brewery do so, they still brew all the beer in large oak tuns in the ancient brewhouse.

image.thumb.jpeg.e4c2bd9e625c6eaccb7916632d596266.jpeg

1 hour ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Beers with a very high alcohol % taste like cheap wine to me , I'm out , mind you, Alba(7.5) by Williams Bros is very nice.

https://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beer/alba

Indeed some can taste horrible, whilst many are very nice.

Not had the Alba in a long time, in fact last time I had it, it was made by Heather Ale Ltd, Glasgow, so that was quite a few years ago.

If you like the Alba then I'm sure you'll like another of Williams Brothers beers: 

NOLLAIG, it's a Christmas Spruce beer (so it should be out now) it's 7% and like Alba has a unique taste, but a very nice taste at that.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 01:08, hearts151 said:

Alhambra 1925.. Nectar. 

In general these are my tops:

Fyne ales highlander

St bernardus abbot 12

Williams bro double joker ipa

Sierra neveda torpedo ipa

Stewarts copper cascade

Flying dog doggie style 

But without a doubt. Scandal that is was lost... Mcewans 80/- hand pulled - proper recipe... 

The recipe was changed from the diggers famous pint to take advantage of the duty laws. I was born in 87 so missed it all. When Caledonian took over they brewed it to original recipe without fanfare. Mathesons at westend was one that took it on... Best pint ever. 1st drank within 5min without trying - seriously that nice. Enjoyed it for 6 months with my dad declaring it was as good as the diggers one from 90s.. Naturally calendonian stopped cask sales to concentrate on cally 80 after a few months. 

I remember back in the day when the Caley Brewery had their Beer Festivals up at Slateford and one year they produced a replica Edinburgh beer from the 1950/60s' Campbell, Hope and King (long lost brewery circa 1970)and  If my memory still records correctly it was about 5.5 - 6.0% and possibly the best pint I have tasted in my puff and I have had a few it my time, going back to the original Edinburgh Beer Festivals of about the late '70's when in order not to have any beer to take back to the brewery they would give it away from about 10pm on the Saturday night.

In my opinion the propensity of the use of American style hops is detrimental to the flavour of beers and in general I will run a mile away from a beer that has a taste description that includes the words citrus, Grapefruit or any damn fruit, I mean really..............could any of the old breweries in town use that description about their beers.

I'm probably just an old fart waxing lyrical about the Good Old Days...........

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, JamboJay said:

I remember back in the day when the Caley Brewery had their Beer Festivals up at Slateford and one year they produced a replica Edinburgh beer from the 1950/60s' Campbell, Hope and King (long lost brewery circa 1970)and  If my memory still records correctly it was about 5.5 - 6.0% and possibly the best pint I have tasted in my puff and I have had a few it my time, going back to the original Edinburgh Beer Festivals of about the late '70's when in order not to have any beer to take back to the brewery they would give it away from about 10pm on the Saturday night.

In my opinion the propensity of the use of American style hops is detrimental to the flavour of beers and in general I will run a mile away from a beer that has a taste description that includes the words citrus, Grapefruit or any damn fruit, I mean really..............could any of the old breweries in town use that description about their beers.

I'm probably just an old fart waxing lyrical about the Good Old Days...........

Good post.

I remember Campbell,Hope and King.

As you say it was a cracking ale.

Budgie's Boyfriend
7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed some can taste horrible, whilst many are very nice.

Not had the Alba in a long time, in fact last time I had it, it was made by Heather Ale Ltd, Glasgow, so that was quite a few years ago.

If you like the Alba then I'm sure you'll like another of Williams Brothers beers: 

NOLLAIG, it's a Christmas Spruce beer (so it should be out now) it's 7% and like Alba has a unique taste, but a very nice taste at that.

I love Nollaig :)

56 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Had one of these bad boys the other day. Would recommend ?

Image result for toasted marshmallow porter

Haven’t tried that but this one is a beauty. 

image_e4a179c4-facd-4e1b-a7ce-a08f83bb3f

Edited by Zico

15 minutes ago, Zico said:

Haven’t tried that but this one is a beauty. 

image_e4a179c4-facd-4e1b-a7ce-a08f83bb3f

Yep. Faith is very good. Went to a beer festival at their brewery this year. Twas excellent.

My son gave me a bottle of this recently but I haven't tried it yet 9%ABV 0 made for export only - described as Hoppy Ale with a warm Malty, Caramel & Roasted Finish

T's Scotch Ale.jpeg

I developing a real taste for a dark beer. Stouts and porters. Had a Murphy's last night. Very smooth. My daughter's been raving about Kilkenny, which she had in Canada. Can't seem to get it here.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

My son gave me a bottle of this recently but I haven't tried it yet 9%ABV 0 made for export only - described as Hoppy Ale with a warm Malty, Caramel & Roasted Finish

T's Scotch Ale.jpeg

Good luck with Tennents

25 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I developing a real taste for a dark beer. Stouts and porters. Had a Murphy's last night. Very smooth. My daughter's been raving about Kilkenny, which she had in Canada. Can't seem to get it here.

Just had a wee look and your right, can't see it anywhere, used to get it in Tesco, Asda etc, but not now it seems.