Favourite Beer

jimmyjambo

All roads lead to Gorgie

I should also add that my local off-licence used to sell Schiehallion and Bitter & Twisted, and I partook of both from time to time.  But they sold to new management, and the Harviestoun beers are no longer stocked.

P.S. whenever I'm having the Harviestoun beers, or the Caesar Augustus, or the Joker IPA, I blame br***kg.  :laugh:

It was Harviestoun that first got me into more hoppy beers. Before that it was lagers and heavy but now they mostly taste bland to me. There is so much choice now and finding space to stock everything must be difficult but it is a shame when long established beers like the Harviestoun brands are no longer stocked.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

I'd love to taste that again.

It was 'mothers milk', the Doo'cot down in Muirhouse was the only other place you could get it, beautiful stuff.

I'd love to taste that again.

Yep, me too. That's when it was at it's best.

We were in the Diggers in May this year for the first time in donkeys.

The 80 bob was appaling.

Morrisons selling Tiger Beer (330ml) boxes of 12 for ?6, maximum 3 per customer. Back of the net....

In Scotland as well?  Usually we're exempt from these kind of deals.

I'll be heading up there tomorrow then :yas:

It was 'mothers milk', the Doo'cot down in Muirhouse was the only other place you could get it, beautiful stuff.

Mathers at the West End always had a pint of 80 as good as Diggers, and of course Sandy Bells.

Auld Reekin'

Yep, me too. That's when it was at it's best.

We were in the Diggers in May this year for the first time in donkeys.

The 80 bob was appaling.

Well, it's Stewart's 80 which is - after all - pretty shite. These days, you're much better looking for the best beer, or the type you're most likely to prefer, they have in their range rather than just asking for 80 shilling. A good alternative if you don't fancy any of the cask ales is the Caledonian Three Hop lager - a tasty, tangy, German-style beer.

If what you're saying, though, is that - given their proud history - they should have a better beer to stand-in for the old "Digger's Heavy", I agree entirely...

Doctor FinnBarr

Quite happy to drink Carling in any UK pub unless they sell Wheat beer, Erdinger whilst not the best is about the easiest to find nowadays, even Stratties sell it. Prefer Franzizkaner or even Hoe but the best I've ever tasted was Hamster beer (Koranwolf) from Holland. Tesco Bathgate had it for a wee while and I bought 3 bottles every week for 4 weeks then it vanished which makes me think they shipped in a crate of 12 and it was only me buying it

Hugh Phamism

1. Porterhouse Oyster Stout

2. Porterhouse Plain

3. Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Honourable shout out for Guinness, Paulozzi and McEwan's Export (it's an age thing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hugh Phamism

Any of he Okney Ales but especially  Raven Ale and Red Macgregor. On a Saturday night depending on my mood its either Heverlee or Belhaven Best. my favourite though is Estrella Damm. Dont know many bars where I  can get it on draught though.

Edited by Corstojohn

Fruitmachine76

Recently had Sharps' Wolf Rock red IPA, tremendous. Big shout out to Stewart's Cascadian East, and innis and gunns sessionable IPA.

Also, BrewDog's Albino Squid Assassin, which they don't seem to be doing anymore, was fantastic.

Any Beavertown beer I've had has been pretty good, exception being their peach ice tea IPA, which was rank.

Auld Reekin'

Quite happy to drink Carling in any UK pub unless they sell Wheat beer, Erdinger whilst not the best is about the easiest to find nowadays, even Stratties sell it. Prefer Franzizkaner or even Hoe but the best I've ever tasted was Hamster beer (Koranwolf) from Holland. Tesco Bathgate had it for a wee while and I bought 3 bottles every week for 4 weeks then it vanished which makes me think they shipped in a crate of 12 and it was only me buying it

Great label!

2476380584_6bb45f6c3a.jpg

:lol:

jambogaz1968

Elvis Juice by Brewdog is a favourite of mine at the moment , also love Radical Road by Stewart Brewing , never buy any English beer as I think Scottish beer is better and I like to buy local . 

Governor Tarkin

For lager beer I like to go Asian.

TsingTao or Asahi are my go to choices.

Underrated IMO.

Tennents is fine.

I'm not a big fan, find it too gassy, but if you like Tennents, and you're ever in the vicinity of the Drygate Brewery in Glasgow, they have a pub that sells a great variety of beers, including an unpasteurised version of Tennents lager.  It has the same flavour, but drinks like a real ale, way less gassy than the normal stuff.  I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Little Creatures Pale Ale or Feral Hop Hog.

For lager beer I like to go Asian.

TsingTao or Asahi are my go to choices.

I work in Asia a lot and always go for the local beer in the country/city I am in.  Some of the Korean and Japanese lagers are great.

I have started drinking some other lagers instead of Tsingtao in China now.  A few of them are quite nice (can't remember their names at the moment).

Tiger Beer remains my favourite though.

Montgomery Brewster

Punk IPA, Joker IPA, Duechars, Old Speckled Hen, McEwans Export. The Stewart's Brewery and Williams Bros stuff is also nice. Then lagers, a good cold pint of Tennents, San Miguel, Peroni, Stella and Hinekken.

Can't beat a red death. Really wish they would bring it back on draft.

Elvis Juice by Brewdog is a favourite of mine at the moment , also love Radical Road by Stewart Brewing , never buy any English beer as I think Scottish beer is better and I like to buy local .

Belhaven's twisted grapefruit is very similar and cheaper. Their twisted thistle isn't a bad punk alternative either.

Doctor FinnBarr

Great label!

2476380584_6bb45f6c3a.jpg

:lol:

The Korenwolf is actually a real hamster that lives wild in the mountains (small hills really) around Maastrict, they've spent millions trying to save it to no avail

Edited by bikerjambo

Oh for a pint of McEwan's heavy from the 70s. The Diggers and the Doo'cot were the preferred places to enjoy it. Stewart's Digger's 80/- is crap and nothing like the original.

The only pint I have tasted that beat McEwan's heavy was Younger's 90/- Ale. It was hard to find but the pub next to the Mitre (it was called David Murray's at the time) had it and it was superb. Only other place I found it was the Phoenix hotel in Oakley!

Younger's No3 Ale was excellent too.

A pint of draught Bass is also very good.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

Montgomery Brewster

Oh for a pint of McEwan's heavy from the 70s. The Diggers and the Doo'cot were the preferred places to enjoy it. Stewart's Digger's 80/- is crap and nothing like the original.

The only pint I have tasted that beat McEwan's heavy was Younger's 90/- Ale. It was hard to find but the pub next to the Mitre (it was called David Murray's at the time) had it and it was superb. Only other place I found it was the Phoenix hotel in Oakley!

Younger's No3 Ale was excellent too.

A pint of draught Bass is also very good.

Doctors used to sell number 3. Great pint

jambogaz1968

Belhaven's twisted grapefruit is very similar and cheaper. Their twisted thistle isn't a bad punk alternative either.

Elvis Juice ?1.50 in Asda , pretty sure Twisted Grapefruit was a wee bit dearer at ?1.75 

Elvis Juice ?1.50 in Asda , pretty sure Twisted Grapefruit was a wee bit dearer at ?1.75

Fair play, stick with Elvis then. ?7 for pack of 4 cans here (I get that's 1.75) or ?2 a bottle.

Won't be called that for much longer

Why not?

Ignore this, I didn't think anything had come of it.

Edited by IronJambo

Well, it's Stewart's 80 which is - after all - pretty shite. These days, you're much better looking for the best beer, or the type you're most likely to prefer, they have in their range rather than just asking for 80 shilling. A good alternative if you don't fancy any of the cask ales is the Caledonian Three Hop lager - a tasty, tangy, German-style beer.

If what you're saying, though, is that - given their proud history - they should have a better beer to stand-in for the old "Digger's Heavy", I agree entirely...

I'm sure that when I asked for a pint and a half of eighty I was asked if I wanted Stewart's or Diggers?

I chose Diggers and it was like gnats pee.

Auld Reekin'

I'm sure that when I asked for a pint and a half of eighty I was asked if I wanted Stewart's or Diggers?

I chose Diggers and it was like gnats pee.

Ah, right - I thought the Stewart's was the current "Diggers' 80"... Moved away from Edinburgh, so haven't been in for a good few months, but there is usually a decent range of alternative beers on offer, rather than hoping that their current 80-bob is going to be anything like it used to be.

scott herbertson

02d2d7773fe8665cae09cfd7deca66dd.jpg

so good I named my daughter after it

well not really, it was the mountain, but serendipitous for them to make a lager named after her ....

Ah, right - I thought the Stewart's was the current "Diggers' 80"... Moved away from Edinburgh, so haven't been in for a good few months, but there is usually a decent range of alternative beers on offer, rather than hoping that their current 80-bob is going to be anything like it used to be.

:2thumbsup:

Anyway, after that disaster of a pint we went to the place that used to be known as 'Vietnam' just along the road.

It was really nice and completely different from the old days.

Think it's on Murdoch Terrace?

:2thumbsup:

Anyway, after that disaster of a pint we went to the place that used to be known as 'Vietnam' just along the road.

It was really nice and completely different from the old days.

Think it's on Murdoch Terrace?

The Fountain, decent boozer with a good range of beers on offer, sometimes pop in after the game

Dagger Is Back

The seasonal Sam Adams are usually great

Spot on. I had an Octoberfest when in NY, 2/3 years back. Bloody wonderful.

Could get it here but it was ?10.99 for 6 bottles!

The Fountain, decent boozer with a good range of beers on offer, sometimes pop in after the game

You can tell it's changed days when someone refers to The Fountain as a decent boozer.

Not all that long ago, it was the sort of place that had ketamine behind the bar instead of crisps and nuts :lol:

Fair play, stick with Elvis then. ?7 for pack of 4 cans here (I get that's 1.75) or ?2 a bottle.

Just seen that Aldi are selling the Belhaven cans for ?1.25 

You can tell it's changed days when someone refers to The Fountain as a decent boozer.

Not all that long ago, it was the sort of place that had ketamine behind the bar instead of crisps and nuts :lol:

That's the place :)

Leave the Vietnam alone !!!

I always have a Schiehallion in the fridge at home and will have that with a meal at the weekends.

Love a Tsingtao, Brooklyn as well and all the Czech pilsners.

If I'm on a sesh I do tend to go for Tennents just because I can drink it all night without going mad drunk.

Last time I stayed on a craft beer for a big night it was Brooklyn, which I later found out was a good bit stronger.

The hangover is just not worth it!