Favourite Beer

jimmyjambo

Lager - Huge amount, but if I were to pick two or three, I'd go for Tsingtao (Chinese), Bucanero Fuerte (Cuban) & Kalnapilis Grand (Lithuania), those 3 stand out for me, but there are dozens of other very fine lagers.

Beer - Again too many to make a choice from, but I do particularly like: Maverick (Fyne Ales), Wild Hop IPA (Harviestoun), Fraoch (Williams), Nimbus (Orkney Brewery), & Jacobite Ale (Traquair) that's just the Scottish beers.

Stout/Porter - Irish mostly, but there are one or two others worth a mention; Dragon Stout (Jamaica), Einstock Toasted Porter (Iceland), Antwerpen Stout (Guinness).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

We had a chocolate ale in the Stockbridge Tap last January. Wife loved it but not for me.

There was a brewery in Leeds, can't remember the name, did a lovley Chocolate Stout.

Can you still get "Gillespies" stout up there? Loved it, like "Murphy's" but with a sweeter almost caramel hint to it.

Lucky man!

I used to go to Dorset for 2-3 long weekends a year, golfing and chilling, and stayed not far from Blandford. I remember taking a newcomer to a Badger pub for his first taste of Tanglefoot - it was like an angel had pissed on his tonsils.

Since then, I've always been a big fan of Badger beers. Not too keen on the Blandford Fly but Fursty Ferret, hopping Hare and Golden Champion top the list.

Always keen on a bit of Golden Glory, too. :oohmatron:

One of the many reasons I love living in Dorset! Looks like a beaut of a Bank Holiday weekend too, a good excuse for some refreshment....

Craig Gordons Gloves

Noticed a few shouts for Deuchars IPA, definitely my pint of choice when back in the pub in Scotland.

I've found my beer drinking habits to change depending on the season, in the summer i've been drinking mostly Pilsner type beers and then in the winter it's more IPA.

Really enjoy a cold bottle of Karlovac if i can get it or a beer called Totally Naked thats only sold in Wisconsin.

Mine was always Marstons Pedigree. That's when I still loved in Edinburgh. Nobody sells a decent pint of ale in Lewis, just stick to cider now.

As someone else said though, whenever I'm in the city, I always make sure get a pint of deuchars.

Auld Reekin'

Mine was always Marstons Pedigree. That's when I still loved in Edinburgh. Nobody sells a decent pint of ale in Lewis, just stick to cider now.

As someone else said though, whenever I'm in the city, I always make sure get a pint of deuchars.

Another excellent beer.    :2thumbsup:

scott herbertson

Belhaven, though it's not a patch on the 1982-87 Diggers 80/-

That was the business

I like a good porter (spent a lot of time down south)

For those who like their beer dark and strong I would recommend Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout

It has the added advantage at the offie that you can sneak three or four bottles through and it seems like you are having a quiet night but it's in 550 mil bottles so you get a bit extra..

Auld Reekin'

That was the business

For those who like their beer dark and strong I would recommend Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout

It has the added advantage at the offie that you can sneak three or four bottles through and it seems like you are having a quiet night but it's in 550 mil bottles so you get a bit extra..

And oatmeal, of course, is very good for you...    :wings:

Williams' Caesar Augustus. Just enough hoppiness and very sessionable.

Or Leffe Blonde/Brune if I'm having a quiet couple of beers.

Drinking a leffe bruin right now, beautiful stuff. Favourite lager has always been red stripe.

Do The Dance

Paolozzi lager is very nice. Brewed at the Edinburgh beer factory at Bankhead industrial estate.

Caesar Augustus and Joker IPA from William Bros.

For an easy drinking session drink, Innis & Gunn lager. It's not great, but it's a decent lager for going out on the peeve.

Governor Tarkin

Getting wired in about the Caesar as we speak.

Will be Guinness through in the 'Well tomorrow, then whatever over priced pish they have in the Liquid Rooms on Sunday night.

That was the business

When I'm in Durham, the pub of choice is The Swan and 3 Cygnets, they sell Samuel Smith stout, lovely and only ?2.20 a pint Edited by jimmyjambo

I've found my beer drinking habits to change depending on the season, in the summer i've been drinking mostly Pilsner type beers and then in the winter it's more IPA.

Was just going to mention this point. Circumstances can sway which beer is most preferred.

First pint (and several subsequent ones) on a night out - Belhaven Best.

First tin on a Jarl squad morning - Belhaven Best.

Just been cutting the grass / running concrete on a warm afternoon - something bottled and lagery from the fridge.

scott herbertson

When I'm in Durham, the pub of choice is The Swan and 3 Cygnets, they sell Samuel Smith stout, lovely and only ?2.20 a pint

Didn't realise it was available on draught

Feel a random trip to Durham coming on.....

Haha, was thinking the same. I must be really boring, as it's only Peroni, Grolsch, Stella, Heineken, in that order and that's it.

I love a good pint of Heineken, tbh.

Favourite probably modelo though. Superb stuff.

Edited by Irufushi

Enjoying Brewgooder just now. Tempest Long White Cloud a go to, as is Alechemy eh54.

Tempest Bomber is wonderful but they just stopped making it!

heartsfc_fan

Punk IPA, Joker IPA, Duechars, Old Speckled Hen, McEwans Export. The Stewart's Brewery and Williams Bros stuff is also nice. Then lagers, a good cold pint of Tennents, San Miguel, Peroni, Stella and Hinekken.

When I'm in Durham, the pub of choice is The Swan and 3 Cygnets, they sell Samuel Smith stout, lovely and only ?2.20 a pint

The Swan and 3 cygnets, The Fighting cocks and the Merket make Durham a place worth visiting.

We used to stay at Lumley Castle in Chester-le-Street and go into Durham for beer and food.

Days.

Samuel Camazzola

I love a good pint of Heineken, tbh.

Favourite probably modelo though. Superb stuff.

Irufushi kens!

The Modelo's look classy in their wee bottles too.

The Swan and 3 cygnets, The Fighting cocks and the Merket make Durham a place worth visiting.

We used to stay at Lumley Castle in Chester-le-Street and go into Durham for beer and food.

Days.

Some great boozers in Durham, my laddies at uni there so been down a few times, usually stay at the Radisson Blu, fairly central.Great for a weekend away.

Sipping beer - Marmalade on Rye from Tempest with Alligator Man a close second and also from Tempest.

Session beer - a decent IPA or Guinness. Belhaven Black another good stout, but only from a pub where it's popular.

Some great boozers in Durham, my laddies at uni there so been down a few times, usually stay at the Radisson Blu, fairly central.Great for a weekend away.

Lucky guy Jimmy.

You ever drunk in Chester-Le-Street itself?

I asked for a pint of Belhaven Best a couple of months ago.

Never again. Second worst pint of watery piss I've ever drank.

If I'm not positive I ask for the old speckled hen now. Always there and never wrong.

I asked for a pint of Belhaven Best a couple of months ago.

Never again. Second worst pint of watery piss I've ever drank.

If I'm not positive I ask for the old speckled hen now. Always there and never wrong.

Caley Best much better imo

Caley 80 or Deuchars were my pints of choice for years (in that order).  Nowadays I like a lot of the Williams Brothers stuff (Joker IPA and Fraoch probably my faves).  Also Brew Dog (esp Punk IPA and Elvis Juice) and Drygate - their Seven Peaks IPA is excellent, and Disco Forklift Truck (seriously!) is a mango infused IPA which is very easy drinking.

Lager wise, I prefer German, and also Paolozzi - a Munich-style beer brewed in Edinburgh.  

Innis & Gunn original or rum finish, Leffe blonde/Bruin in the house.

Like Innis and Gunn larger for easy drinking in the pub.

And special mention for Blue Moon, the oranges just send you loopy !!

But TBH most lager and beer is fine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't enjoy my experience of the bishops finger either.

(All yours Jonno)

But I really enjoyed Wells Waggle Dance honey beer.

Ciechan Miodowe

I would be lying if I said I haven't been on holiday to Poland, just to drink it.

...a bit disco

Beer wise it's McEwans Scotch, Flowers Original,or my real favourite, Orkney Raven Ale.

Like a wide variety of lagers. Sapporo the number one choice.

The occasional Guiness doesn't go amiss either.

When not at home I'll drink a few of the beers mentioned here: Caesar Augustus, Joker IPA, Deuchars IPA, Landlord, Punk IPA (or Dead Pony Club for a more humane alcohol level).

At home, it's mostly pale ales and IPAs for me, and these two from Rathmullan, County Donegal are top of my list:

IMG_7144EDIT.jpg?resize=667%2C1000

When occasionally I'm in a lager mood I'll drink O'Hara's Helles, Crean's or Whitewater Belfast Lager.

As it happens I don't drink Guinness, but notwithstanding that my advice is that unless you are on this island (or one of its offshore islands) you shouldn't. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Quite like Joker IPA.  Schiehallion not too bad.  Caesar Augustus also proving popular.

I would second your choices there. I also like Stewart Brewings Radical Road which is similar to Schiehallion. 

I would second your choices there. I also like Stewart Brewings Radical Road which is similar to Schiehallion. 

I should also add that my local off-licence used to sell Schiehallion and Bitter & Twisted, and I partook of both from time to time.  But they sold to new management, and the Harviestoun beers are no longer stocked.

P.S. whenever I'm having the Harviestoun beers, or the Caesar Augustus, or the Joker IPA, I blame br***kg.  :laugh: