• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• the general

1 minute ago, Les Izemore said:

Worse still, I currently live in Coburg Street about a 1 minute walk from said boozer. 

Colour me stupid. ?

:facepalm:

:wink:

J.T.F.Robertson
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 14:14, The White Cockade said:

anybody name the pubs on Cockburn Street?

What is/was the one next to the Malt Shovel?

Going waaay back, was it not something like the Copper Pot?

Whatever the name, it was jammed with underagers back then. They had a turntable and we would often take albums in with us.

The White Cockade
43 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Going waaay back, was it not something like the Copper Pot?

Whatever the name, it was jammed with underagers back then. They had a turntable and we would often take albums in with us.

Yeah Copper Pot sounds familiar

and the wall outside was covered in copper discs like pots I think

don't know if it still is?

J.T.F.Robertson
12 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Yeah Copper Pot sounds familiar

and the wall outside was covered in copper discs like pots I think

don't know if it still is?

I'm quite often over that way when I'm back as my sister works close by and I'll meet her at the Malt Shovel. If my guess is right, I think the Copper Pot was just a few doors farther down from there, but it was so long ago I cannie mind if it had that paraphernalia on the outside.

Doctor FinnBarr
22 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

I was at the game in Prague and bought this badge.

Still have it somewhere I think.

I bought a Dukla towel at the game for about 50p I think, still have it.

Say What Again

The Black Swan became EH1 and is now the Albannach Bar.

I saw Lulu in there once when it was EH1, complete with American accent the lot.

Say What Again

Just saw this on Facebook and thought it might be worth posting here.

Unfortunately no idea which particular pub it's from.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 10.09.05.png

The Real Maroonblood
22 hours ago, Say What Again said:

Just saw this on Facebook and thought it might be worth posting here.

Unfortunately no idea which particular pub it's from.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 10.09.05.png

Using an inflation calculator a 10p pint would be the equivalent of about £1.48 a pint to today.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure the last time I looked at this thread someone was trying to remember the name of a diner/pub in Hanover St. 

(Posts no longer seem to be here?) 

Anyway could it have been Dix-Neuf next to O'Neills (Beau Brummel in my day)?

Came across a photo of the "Dix-Neuf" pub on Facebook when I was trying to remember the name of another pub on Hanover St and it seemed to fit the description with black and white tiles.

Pub I was looking for was one the ex wife worked in briefly many moons ago and I knew it was down near Princes St. Turned out it was "The Three Tuns".

I really should have remembered that as it's now a very apt description of my ex wife.

The White Cockade

Where was the Bandwagon again?

Memory going but spent many a Friday night there

10 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Where was the Bandwagon again?

Memory going but spent many a Friday night there

Frederick Street if memory  serves me right on the way down to Queen Street.

Or was it Hanover Street?

1 hour ago, stuart500 said:

I'm sure the last time I looked at this thread someone was trying to remember the name of a diner/pub in Hanover St. 

Came across a photo of the "Dix-Neuf" pub on Facebook when I was trying to remember the name of another pub on Hanover St and it seemed to fit the description with black and white tiles.

Pub I was looking for was one the ex wife worked in briefly many moons ago and I knew it was down near Princes St. Turned out it was "The Three Tuns".

I really should have remembered that as it's now a very apt description of my ex wife.

Morgan was the felly looking for this I think.

1 hour ago, stuart500 said:

Thanks for recalling this but sorry, not the name we’re looking for. Much appreciated however :thumb: 

44 minutes ago, graygo said:

Frederick Street if memory  serves me right on the way down to Queen Street.

Or was it Hanover Street?

Frederick. I’m pretty sure of that.

44 minutes ago, graygo said:

Morgan was the felly looking for this I think.

And I still am! 

Many thanks graygo for remembering. 

Ah well. Hope it comes back to you.

Threads about old pubs are favourites of my mine as I drank in so many (maybe all) of them. Used to be a Friday lunchtime regular in Leeries when working in St Andrew Sq. 3 pints and a plate of stovies in an hour. Stuffed and not much work done in the afternoon. Happy days.

10 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Ah well. Hope it comes back to you.

Threads about old pubs are favourites of my mine as I drank in so many (maybe all) of them. Used to be a Friday lunchtime regular in Leeries when working in St Andrew Sq. 3 pints and a plate of stovies in an hour. Stuffed and not much work done in the afternoon. Happy days.

Stuart?

See when you drank in Leeries?  Was it Robert Reilly and Sheila and old Jessie behind the bar?

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Stuart?

See when you drank in Leeries?  Was it Robert Reilly and Sheila and old Jessie behind the bar?

Sorry Morgan. Can't actually remember. There was an old guy who made the stovies though, possibly 'Bert'. That might be the Robert you refer to.

When he left we started going up to Drew Nicolls pub the Malt Shovel.

2 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Sorry Morgan. Can't actually remember. There was an old guy who made the stovies though, possibly 'Bert'. That might be the Robert you refer to.

When he left we started going up to Drew Nicolls pub the Malt Shovel.

Cockburn Street?

I knew Drew and his good lady Mary for many years. Sadly, Drew is now not himself due to illness :sad: 

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Cockburn Street?

I knew Drew and his good lady Mary for many years. Sadly, Drew is now not himself due to illness :sad: 

Sorry to hear that. He was a really good guy and loved the fact he introduced new ales into his pubs. Made a change from the numerous keg beer pubs at the time.

11 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Sorry to hear that. He was a really good guy and loved the fact he introduced new ales into his pubs. Made a change from the numerous keg beer pubs at the time.

Any of you head down to Drew's when he had The Chain Pier?

14 hours ago, stuart500 said:

He was indeed a good lad. I first knew Drew when he was at the Cafe Royal then the Malt Shovel.He took the best barman from the CR with him when he went to the MS!

3 hours ago, JWL said:

Not a pub I’ve ever been in JWL.

11 hours ago, JWL said:

Yep. Enjoyed a beer or two down there. :thumb:

Didn't look out the window though as made me feel seasick! 

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

He was indeed a good lad. I first knew Drew when he was at the Cafe Royal then the Malt Shovel.He took the best barman from the CR with him when he went to the MS!

Seem to remember service was always good in there with people at the bar being served in the correct order. Always the sign of a good barman. 

25 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Seem to remember service was always good in there with people at the bar being served in the correct order. Always the sign of a good barman. 

Correct Stuart. :thumb:

Did you frequent the Cafe Royal much?  I used to work there a long time ago.

Montgomery Brewster
On 09/06/2018 at 22:12, Morgan said:

Thanks for recalling this but sorry, not the name we’re looking for. Much appreciated however :thumb: 

Frederick. I’m pretty sure of that.

And I still am! 

Many thanks graygo for remembering. 

There was a pub just past the beau Brummell , same side. At the junction of the traffIc lights , queen street / Hanover street junction . Entrance was on queen street down a flight of stairs. Was white on the outside and had black And white tiles. Did nachos and stuff like that.

racking my brains as to what it was called early/ mid 90’s. 

This the elusive boozer ?

1 minute ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

There was a pub just past the beau Brummell , same side. At the junction of the traffIc lights , queen street / Hanover street junction . Entrance was on queen street down a flight of stairs. Was white on the outside and had black And white tiles. Did nachos and stuff like that.

Sorry Montgomery, the place wasn’t down any stairs, it was on street level. Wasnae so much nachos either but more like ribs etc.

They used to hand out ‘buy one meal, get the second free’ vouchers around the offices in the West End that were only valid on a Thursday night.

Thank you so much for trying to help, one day this will come to an end!  Cheers mate.

Morgan

7 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Meant to say, the location you have stated is absolutely correct.  Just not the right place name,  thanks again.

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Correct Stuart. :thumb:

Did you frequent the Cafe Royal much?  I used to work there a long time ago.

Yes many times. Upstairs and downstairs. Cafe Royal definitely my type of pub. Real character. 

To be fair, when I worked in St Andrews Sq I was in most of the pubs in that area fairly often. Did like the Guildford too although maybe that's sacrilege to Cafe Royal man like yourself!! 

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, stuart500 said:

This.

Unfortunately that is a rare occurrence these days.

Ron Burgundy

Went for a walk up the Southside early Friday evening. The place is an absolute shithole. More junkies and tramps than Leith and Lochend combined. I honestly was shocked.

And there was a guy with a ferret on a lead outside a boozer opposite the old Odeon.

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Meant to say, the location you have stated is absolutely correct.  Just not the right place name,  thanks again.

No problem. I spent many years drinking in that part of the city.

so can you confirm where about you think it is ? Also when are you next back in Edinburgh ? Worth checking it out again ?

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Went for a walk up the Southside early Friday evening. The place is an absolute shithole. More junkies and tramps than Leith and Lochend combined. I honestly was shocked.

And there was a guy with a ferret on a lead outside a boozer opposite the old Odeon.

You sure it wasn't a rat? 

Ron Burgundy
6 minutes ago, Herbert said:

You sure it wasn't a rat? 

Nah I've kept rats as pets and had mates that have kept ferrets. It was a ferret.

5 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Yes many times. Upstairs and downstairs. Cafe Royal definitely my type of pub. Real character. 

To be fair, when I worked in St Andrews Sq I was in most of the pubs in that area fairly often. Did like the Guildford too although maybe that's sacrilege to Cafe Royal man like yourself!! 

Not at all Stuart, we loved the Guildford too and even used the Penny Black of a lunchtime (or tea-break!) :lol: 

Cafe Royal bistro bar upstairs was pretty good too.

4 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

No problem. I spent many years drinking in that part of the city.

so can you confirm where about you think it is ? Also when are you next back in Edinburgh ? Worth checking it out again ?

We return to Edinburgh four or five times a year (been back twice this year already) and have had a wee wander about where we thought it was but still can’t get the bloody name!

As far as we can remember it was either Hanover or Frederick Street on the block between Princes Street and George Street. It just may have been between George and Queen Street but don’t think so really.

They used to hand out leaflets around the offices in the West End where we both worked and it gave you a ‘buy one meal get a second free’ type offer. This offer was only for use on a Thursday night. The place had an angled entrance door and was furnished in black and white with floor tiling of a similar appearance. 

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

We return to Edinburgh four or five times a year (been back twice this year already) and have had a wee wander about where we thought it was but still can’t get the bloody name!

As far as we can remember it was either Hanover or Frederick Street on the block between Princes Street and George Street. It just may have been between George and Queen Street but don’t think so really.

They used to hand out leaflets around the offices in the West End where we both worked and it gave you a ‘buy one meal get a second free’ type offer. This offer was only for use on a Thursday night. The place had an angled entrance door and was furnished in black and white with floor tiling of a similar appearance. 

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

The angled entrance door sounds familiar.

15 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The old stakis steak house. Turned into the penguin cafe? 

No.

Other side of the road. On the right heading up from Princes Street.

Sorry - keep trying! :2thumbsup:  We’ll get there eventually...

Montgomery Brewster
13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

No.

Other side of the road. On the right heading up from Princes Street.

Sorry - keep trying! :2thumbsup:  We’ll get there eventually...

Would it be were bella Italia is now in Hanover street. On the right hand side just up from princes street ?

Would it be were bella Italia is now in Hanover street. On the right hand side just up from princes street ?

Is that near the top just before George Street and where Lakeland is?

Maybe the premises used to be a womens clothes shop called Bus Stop many moons ago?

This is looking/sounding promising.

Montgomery Brewster
21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Is that near the top just before George Street and where Lakeland is?

Maybe the premises used to be a womens clothes shop called Bus Stop many moons ago?

This is looking/sounding promising.

Alas not. 

Bella italia is on the section before Rose st.

the only eateries / pubs after Rose street on the right I can remember are Milnes and the Mexican place down the stairs (not at ground level )

which makes me me think it’s Frederick street your after ?

Alas not. 

the only eateries / pubs after Rose street on the right I can remember are Milnes and the Mexican place down the stairs (not at ground level )

Ah right!

The downstairs Mexican Place was called Tex Mex I seem to recall? Used to be called the Cairngorm ages ago.

So, it’s looking like Frederick Street? :interehjrling:

This is driving us nuts!!

4 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Alas not. 

So you’re saying Bella Italia is just before Santander? I think I can picture it now.

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

So you’re saying Bella Italia is just before Santander? I think I can picture it now.

Aye

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Ah right!

The downstairs Mexican Place was called Tex Mex I seem to recall? Used to be called the Cairngorm ages ago.

So, it’s looking like Frederick Street? :interehjrling:

This is driving us nuts!!

Aye tex mex 

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Not at all Stuart, we loved the Guildford too and even used the Penny Black of a lunchtime (or tea-break!) :lol: 

Cafe Royal bistro bar upstairs was pretty good too.

I remember people who went for "breakfast" in the Penny Black before coming to work.

Not me I hasten to add!