Old Edinburgh pubs

JWL

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

The Scotsman Bar at the top, beside the old arcade is the only one I can name in Cockburn Street  apart from the Malt Shovel in which I worked many moons ago. The MS was owned by a chap that used to run the Cafe Royal.

My friends dad used to have Malt Shovel, Drew Nicol's years ago

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• the general

the general
16 hours ago, Morgan said:

I was just about to post similar.

On thinking about it, I think you are actually correct. 

I also couldn't remember the name of the street it was on. Spittal Street! so thanks for that too.

I'd also forgot it became Footlights! :facepalm:

Just one of these days...

just ANOTHER one of those days lol kidding

3 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

My friends dad used to have Malt Shovel, Drew Nicol's years ago

Aye, Drew Nicol!

His wife was Mary iirc?

1 hour ago, the general said:

just ANOTHER one of those days lol kidding

:robbo: Unfortunately though, it’s true what you say!

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Aye, Drew Nicol!

His wife was Mary iirc?

Yup, that's them. Lovely people. He has a hard time with MS. 

2 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

Yup, that's them. Lovely people. He has a hard time with MS. 

Sorry to hear that. Haven’t seen either of them in many years.

the general

went for a wee stroll yesterday and it was sad seeing robbos,chesser inn,Dell Inn and cross keys all boarded up

but Village,longstone inn and Longstone Hearts still seem to be surviving

Say What Again
On 3/19/2018 at 17:02, Morgan said:

No bother.

I'm absolutely sure I'm right about Bread Street. There was a bar after Tipplers, just round the corner to the left heading towards Castle Terrace (opposite the Blue Blazer) but I can't recall its name. Beside a wee shop that used to sell some football memorabilia.

Going off topic from the old pubs for a second, that was Fitba' Crazy.

I remember my auntie talking me there as a kid, around 11 years old, to take my pick (within budget) of whatever I wanted. I opted for B&W glossy photographs of the entire '56 cup winning team.

No idea how long it's been closed now, but that would have been about 1985.

Edited by Say What Again

Les Izemore
On 19 March 2018 at 20:14, The White Cockade said:

anybody name the pubs on Cockburn Street?

What is/was the one next to the Malt Shovel?

Jim's Inn was on the left hand side as you went down CS, right next to the vennel. It had 2 levels and a side door for the upstairs. 

1 hour ago, Les Izemore said:

Jim's Inn was on the left hand side as you went down CS, right next to the vennel. It had 2 levels and a side door for the upstairs. 

God, I’d forgotten all about Jim’s Inn!

Les Izemore
43 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Spent many a night there. Bottles of Nookie Broon in the bar, doobies of Leb in the vennel, poppers in the bogs, then the last 14 bus home. I was 16. ?

1 minute ago, Les Izemore said:

Spent many a night there. Bottles of Nookie Broon in the bar, doobies of Leb in the vennel, poppers in the bogs, then the last 14 bus home. I was 16. ?

:clyay: Good nights then?

2 hours ago, Say What Again said:

I remember my auntie talking me there as a kid, around 11 years old, to take my pick (within budget) of whatever I wanted. I opted for B&W glossy photographs of the entire '56 cup winning team.

That was the very place!

In 1986, after Hearts had played Dukla Prague I was in there and he was selling a Dukla pin badge. He told me (Mr Gullible) that the badge had belonged to the Prague manager. Being a big collector of badges I paid a fiver for it :facepalm:  

The badge was like this,.  I still have it with all my Hearts stuff.

2D085B5A-035D-475A-8A4C-E640B601F5D9.gif

Les Izemore
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:clyay: Good nights then?

Great nights until I missed my stop one night and woke up in the middle of Muirhouse roundabout covered in spew. That took some explaining. 

2 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

Great nights until I missed my stop one night and woke up in the middle of Muirhouse roundabout covered in spew. That took some explaining. 

FFS :lol:

8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That was the very place!

In 1986, after Hearts had played Dukla Prague I was in there and he was selling a Dukla pin badge. He told me (Mr Gullible) that the badge had belonged to the Prague manager. Being a big collector of badges I paid a fiver for it :facepalm:  

The badge was like this,.  I still have it with all my Hearts stuff.

2D085B5A-035D-475A-8A4C-E640B601F5D9.gif

Just dug out the badge itself.

A fiver :vrface: In 1986 :vrface: For a second hand badge :vrface: 

He saw me coming!

335A7A27-EE77-4E88-B6A3-923D4DAC6BFB.jpeg

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

AKA the arcade bar. 

ETA: was in there before a chubby brown gig, early 90s. Had the half day off from the council, emptied the puggy in the lounge (upstairs). Took well over £150 out of it. 

Unfortunately, it was in the days of tokens being paid instead of cash. And they had to call a guy in from Glasgow to make up the £50 in tokens shortfall. All you could do with the tokens was put back in the puggy or buy bevvy. I was bladdered buy the time chubby came on stage at the festival theatre. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

AKA the arcade bar. 

ETA: was in there before a chubby brown gig, early 90s. Had the half day off from the council, emptied the puggy in the lounge (upstairs). Took well over £150 out of it. 

Unfortunately, it was in the days of tokens being paid instead of cash. And they had to call a guy in from Glasgow to make up the £50 in tokens shortfall. All you could do with the tokens was put back in the puggy or buy bevvy. I was bladdered buy the time chubby came on stage at the festival theatre. 

I remember the tokens Joey.

Were they not printed with the words ‘Bell fruit’ on them?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I remember the tokens Joey.

Were they not printed with the words ‘Bell fruit’ on them?

Yes, something like that. They should pay out FOBT winnings in tokens might deter hardened gamblers. 

The White Cockade

what was the pub next to the Malt Shovel back in the 80's?

worked for the Council in Warriston Close and we went down to these pubs every Friday at 4!

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

He saw me coming!

I was at the game in Prague and bought this badge.

Still have it somewhere I think.

1 hour ago, The White Cockade said:

worked for the Council in Warriston Close and we went down to these pubs every Friday at 4!

Can’t remember the pub name but recall a wee ‘greasy spoon’ called something like the ‘Pop-in’ next to the Malt Shovel.

scott herbertson

Used to drink every Friday lunchtime in the Cockburn Street pubs back in 1976 and 1977 when I worked from the Festival ticket office. Extended lunchtime, 4 pints in 1 hour and a bit and a snooze when we got back to work.

remember the Malt Shovel but not the names of the others. The wee one across the road which people are saying was Jim’s Inn drank until 3am on the first night when festival pubs were able to serve on after closing time if they also served meals. Paid about £2 for a rock hard mince pie (think there was a mock bar fight.with them at some point in the evening) which entitled us to stay FOREVER 

1330EFE0-3C55-4816-A323-75977F9C2FB5.jpeg

Had a chat to one of the workmen that is stripping out the old Robertson's / Green Tree, there is a change of use and it is being turned into a retail outlet - so another boozer in Gorgie bites the dust.

crunchy frog
4 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Wig and Pen

Harry Potter
19 hours ago, the general said:

went for a wee stroll yesterday and it was sad seeing robbos,chesser inn,Dell Inn and cross keys all boarded up

but Village,longstone inn and Longstone Hearts still seem to be surviving

My uncle used to love the cross keys , longstone hearts, used to love an away game on that bus, late 70s

early 80s.

Say What Again
19 hours ago, Morgan said:

He saw me coming!

:lol: I think so

12 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

I was at the game in Prague and bought this badge.

Still have it somewhere I think.

Yeah but did yours belong to the Dukla Prague manager? :P

the general
22 hours ago, Say What Again said:

funnily enough met the owner a couple of weeks back at the Hearts v Partick resrve game

good lad ... he was in the pub game for a while then a social worker,now retired 

the general
19 hours ago, Morgan said:

He saw me coming!

those badges were lethal

i am sure we bought them for him .. we used to source most of his away programs,badges etc

the general
9 hours ago, ginga said:

Had a chat to one of the workmen that is stripping out the old Robertson's / Green Tree, there is a change of use and it is being turned into a retail outlet - so another boozer in Gorgie bites the dust.

there is another thread on this so i can reveal its going to be a scotmid funeral place

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, the general said:

there is another thread on this so i can reveal its going to be a scotmid funeral place

Another retail outlet.

21 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

It was one of the first four pubs to open all day in Edinburgh (legally) in I think 1979. People waited ages to get in. Great boozer

10 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Wig and Pen

That was a punk pub for a while. Spent my 18th in their getting drunk at lunchtime and nearly shat myself on the way home.

Funny enough I had my stag in Tipplers too and my mates let me fall down the stairs as the strippers covered me in baby oil and I was rather slippy. The manager was John Fraser who played for Hibs but apart from that he was a good guy. Anyone remember the pub in Dalry that I think is where Maplins is now? I got hammered in there in 1981 before going to see the Who at the Playhouse

the general
1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

Funny enough I had my stag in Tipplers too and my mates let me fall down the stairs as the strippers covered me in baby oil and I was rather slippy. The manager was John Fraser who played for Hibs but apart from that he was a good guy. Anyone remember the pub in Dalry that I think is where Maplins is now? I got hammered in there in 1981 before going to see the Who at the Playhouse

eric browns

deesidejambo

Trying to contact an old Jambo who drank in the Leamington Hotel.  Ivan Paterson.  If anyone knows how I can contact him please pm me.

6 hours ago, Say What Again said:

:lol: I think so

Yeah but did yours belong to the Dukla Prague manager? :P

:tongue:

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

Can’t remember the pub name but recall a wee ‘greasy spoon’ called something like the ‘Pop-in’ next to the Malt Shovel.

Remembered now, it was called the Toddle Inn.

Cockburn st used to serve up a wee suprise for some drunken customers. Right at the top you used to have the pub called the Black swan who's front door was entered by the High st. Many would enter to be told they weren't getting served by probably the best bar man in Edinburgh at one stage Jimmy lamb only for them to then return by the side door in Cockburn st thinking it was another pub and be sent on there way again ?

5 minutes ago, graham said:

Cockburn st used to serve up a wee suprise for some drunken customers. Right at the top you used to have the pub called the Black swan who's front door was entered by the High st. Many would enter to be told they weren't getting served by probably the best bar man in Edinburgh at one stage Jimmy lamb only for them to then return by the side door in Cockburn st thinking it was another pub and be sent on there way again ?

I chucked out here. Wasnt called the black swan though.  89/90/91. 

Good boozer. 

20 minutes ago, graham said:

The Black Swan was owned by a family called Swanney from Fairmiehead. Think they sold it early 80’s?

Les Izemore

The only Black Swan I remember was at the foot of Coburn Street, now called the Rose Leaf. It was the first non smoking pub in town and the majority of their clientele were working girls and their pimps. 

15 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

The only Black Swan I remember was at the foot of Coburn Street, now called the Rose Leaf. It was the first non smoking pub in town and the majority of their clientele were working girls and their pimps. 

The Black Swan was definitely on the corner at the top of Cockburn Street with entrances both on the High Street an on Cockburn Street itself.

30 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

You're getting Cockburn and Coburg mixed up. 

14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The Black Swan was definitely on the corner at the top of Cockburn Street with entrances both on the High Street an on Cockburn Street itself.

Not contending that. Renamed late in the eighties. Im having a blank but will get back to you. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

The Black Swan was owned by a family called Swanney from Fairmiehead. Think they sold it early 80’s?

Yeah that's right the swanney family had the Black swan but swanney was never the same after a bad car accident.

Les Izemore
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You're getting Cockburn and Coburg mixed up. 

Yep, I am. Defo meant Coburg Street. Ta. 

12 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Not contending that. Renamed late in the eighties. Im having a blank but will get back to you. 

No, I knew you weren't jb :thumb:

My post was quoting Les Izemore, not yourself.

Anyway, it's all sorted now!!