World Athletics 2017 London

CJGJ

deesidejambo

:spoton:

I was going to post this in the 'things you've often wondered' thread, an utterly pointless activity. In the same vein as swimming races other than freestyle.

Agreed. You may as well add hopping or sack race into the Olympics. Or welly-throwing

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CJGJ

• neilnunb

• Helzibob

• All roads lead to Gorgie

Walking at 10mph for three and a half hours is a hell of a physical feat but FFS it looks bizarre and is the worst spectator sport I've ever seen.

Seymour M Hersh

Jamaicans now bleating the race was delayed too long which caused Bolt's hammy to cramp up (apparently not a tear).  Nobody else suffered but there you go. It's not sour grapes though. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Walking at 10mph for three and a half hours is a hell of a physical feat but FFS it looks bizarre and is the worst spectator sport I've ever seen.

You wonder what that does to your knees and hips long term with all that jarring. Mind you the man and the women who won the first two races were in their late thirties so maybe it is not as bad as it looks. I always seem to laugh when walking appears on TV for the first time though.

What a woman. Absolutely gorgeous.

A very classy winner too.

???

I haven't seen her BBC interview, but the interview with Iwan Thomas which the crowd heard went something like:

"Dafne, congratulations, a very close and exciting race."

"Well yes, it was a close race, it was the final of the World Championships. And I won."

One suspects a complete absence of humour.

Sometimes she does look great but at other times she can look somewhat mannish. I certainly wouldn't turn her down, but there were any number of better options on show that night. Others have already mentioned Darya Klishina, Nadine Visser and Schippers' direct rival Dina Asher-Smith. I would add Joanna Jozwik, Pamela Dutkiewicz, Alina Talay, and Adelle Tracey, who also works part-time as a professional model.

???

I haven't seen her BBC interview, but the interview with Iwan Thomas which the crowd heard went something like:

"Dafne, congratulations, a very close and exciting race."

"Well yes, it was a close race, it was the final of the World Championships. And I won."

One suspects a complete absence of humour.

Sometimes she does look great but at other times she can look somewhat mannish. I certainly wouldn't turn her down, but there were any number of better options on show that night. Others have already mentioned Darya Klishina, Nadine Visser and Schippers' direct rival Dina Asher-Smith. I would add Joanna Jozwik, Pamela Dutkiewicz, Alina Talay, and Adelle Tracey, who also works part-time as a professional model.

I'll raise you Yulia Levchenko, normally high jumpers are lanky streaks of pish but this lassie is a wee bit special.

RKuxaiA.jpg

XcEwYiz.jpg

ryZfZdT.jpg

I'll raise you Yulia Levchenko, normally high jumpers are lanky streaks of pish but this lassie is a wee bit special.

Yes, no complaints there, although I have to say I also quite liked the one who won.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Misjudgement by Bolt to stick around for these worlds.

Pleased to see Farah knocked off his perch, the smug dick.

I had a go at Farah last night and the rest of my family had a go at me ffs.

Something dodgy with the Salazar carry on.....allegedly.

The Ethiopian and Kenyan girls might be the ones with the questions to answer

chester copperpot

That Semenya is a fecking bloke like.

Got a David Coulthard like jawline.

Edited by chester copperpot

That Semenya is a fecking bloke like.

Got a David Coulthard like jawline.

There were two other blokes in that race.  Least the bronze went to a women.

chester copperpot

There were two other blokes in that race. Least the bronze went to a women.

Haha was thinking the same. The big tall lad in the red vest looked like he owned a wanger likes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Haha was thinking the same. The big tall lad in the red vest looked like he owned a wanger likes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Kenyan had a hairline a 70 year old man would be proud off.  Total farce that and its a shame for actual woman like Sharp having to compete with that.  Really isn't fair.

Edited by Randy Marsh

All roads lead to Gorgie

WTF was with the camerawork there.

BBC shite

Poland are closing was all we heard but the camera was stuck on the finish line. Hard won silver for GB. I find the relays more exciting than the individual races. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Reporting Scotland saying Sharpe and O'Hare finished 8th and 12th. Sounds better than last I suppose.  :sunny: 

Reporting Scotland saying Sharpe and O'Hare finished 8th and 12th. Sounds better than last I suppose. :sunny:

8th and 12th in the world is still frigging impressive.

All roads lead to Gorgie

8th and 12th in the world is still frigging impressive.

I agree but it is just the way they said it.

Watching the walking races earlier and all I could picture the whole time was thisgiphy.gif

Like Jonno after depositing a mammoth 'Sir John'.

Proud as punch.

Just watching the triple jump and it is amazing that 22 years on, Jonathan Edwards record remains intact. Even more remarkable, it is almost 50 years since Bob Beamon had that not to be forgotten world record long jump and only Mike Powell has improved it, Indeed since Jessie Owens world record in 1935 only Ralph Boston, Beamon, Powell and a Soviet Union  athlete have held world records. With better training, methods. stronger and bigger athletes, general improvements in sports science what is the dynamic of those two field events that make it so unique.

There's a high risk of injury in the two events, which means that a lot of athletes don't bother with them. Bolt at his peak would have had a good chance of breaking the long jump world record but it isn't worth the risk of injury. He can make far more money by keeping himself fit so that he can run in the 100m and 200m events.

• 2 years later...
On 13/08/2017 at 20:01, jonnothejambo said:

I had a go at Farah last night and the rest of my family had a go at me ffs.

Something dodgy with the Salazar carry on.....allegedly.*

* Not anymore, 4 year ban. Oh and wee Mo didn't know. :Aye:

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

* Not anymore, 4 year ban. Oh and wee Mo didn't know. :Aye:

Any doubt about anyone representing GB:-

He/She obviously didn't know, not responsible for their coach's misdemeanours.

he/She would never go down that route.

Any doubt about anyone representing Johnny Foreigner:-

Knew all along, dirty cheating bassa, ban them for life and strip all their medals.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Any doubt about anyone representing GB:-

He/She obviously didn't know, not responsible for their coach's misdemeanours.

he/She would never go down that route.

Any doubt about anyone representing Johnny Foreigner:-

Knew all along, dirty cheating bassa, ban them for life and strip all their medals.

As always

I’ve been watching the last few days and the crowds are woeful. People winning events and doing a lap of honour in an empty stadium.  Must put a right dampener on what should be an amazing experience. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2019/09/28/doha-world-championships-descends-carnage-temperatures-soar/

The woman's marathon went poorly at the weekend.

Doesn't bode well for the World Cup. Would doubt the temperatures dip much in the next couple of months.

edit:

Stand corrected, as much as 10deg lower Nov/Dec

https://www.yr.no/place/Qatar/Doha/Doha/statistics.html

Edited by Tommy Brown

24 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2019/09/28/doha-world-championships-descends-carnage-temperatures-soar/

Doesn't bode well for the World Cup. Would doubt the temperatures dip much in the next couple of months.

edit:

I think the temperature inside the stadium is reasonable as it's air conditioned. Outside is another matter.

Edited by Stokesy

44 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

edit:

People saying the locals aren't interested in athletics though there is a bit of an issue with times of athletics not matching their daily routine ie start work very early.

But they are even less interested in football.