Olympics 2024 and 2028

Mikey1874

Paris in 2024

Los Angeles in 2028

Not been following this but its been confirmed by Los Angeles following these cities being designated the two years earlier in year. Just had to agree which did which. Los Angeles has announced 2028.

Paris will be 100 years since it hosted Games the one that was the setting for Chariots of Fire.

Tokyo is next 2020.

• 1 year later...
luckyBatistuta
59 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Why not? Involves a fair amount of physical skill, balance and agility. Certainly more entertaining to watch than squash, weightlifting etc.

You ever played squash Ray, very tactical sport, I’d love watching it. Should we include all the other forms of dancing if they include breakdancing...ballet,tap, ballroom,etc... all very technical in their own right.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

44 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You ever played squash Ray, very tactical sport, I’d love watching it. Should we include all the other forms of dancing if they include breakdancing...ballet,tap, ballroom,etc... all very technical in their own right.

Nah, badminton is my racket sport of choice.

Re: dancing. They already have figure-skating and gymnastics floor routines which aren't that far removed, so sure, why not.

Edited by Ray Gin

38 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Get this in...

ps. I'd love kerbie :D

Not sure pheckingbottom will be chuffed at his training regime being leaked. 

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Look forward to see how they implement Surfing and Climbing.

Bound to be really difficult..... the surfboard is going to keep slipping off the rockface ?

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Nah, badminton is my racket sport of choice.

Re: dancing. They already have figure-skating and gymnastics floor routines which aren't that far removed, so sure, why not.

A lot more to figure skating, but I’ll agree with you on some of the gymnastics. Those women that jump around with a ribbon, what the  heck is that all about.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, jamboy1982 said:

Gold medal for playing shapes 

Ooo, I’m getting in some training for that.

What about the ‘Olympic pitch and toss champion’

10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If the 2032 games come to Edinburgh, I think 'pitchie' and 'kerbie' need to be considered. Gold medals in waiting for Team GB. 

We’ll have a Scottish team by then. Kerbie a stick on Gold though. 

29 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

We’ll have a Scottish team by then. Kerbie a stick on Gold though. 

You played kerbie because there was nothing else to do. Now kids spend all their in the house playing xbox. African countries will nail this. 

luckyBatistuta
54 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What about marbles ?

Steelies and Chinkies

‘I don’t think eating is ever going to become an Olympic sport, but we would win.

15 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Squash unsuccessful, but now considering breakdancing, surely not.

I liked playing squash, but I preferred waa-sie.

18 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If the 2032 games come to Edinburgh, I think 'pitchie' and 'kerbie' need to be considered. Gold medals in waiting for Team GB. 

Nah, team SCO will pip them for gold.

Edited by Sarah O

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

You played kerbie because there was nothing else to do. Now kids spend all their in the house playing xbox. African countries will nail this. 

Damn it. Yer right! 

• 1 month later...
ArcticJambo

Saw a comment on some forum following the Kazakstan debacle about 'If dealing with the messages at the Aldi check-out were an Olympic sport'.  :lol:

Edited by ArcticJambo

7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes it seems

Why not?!? Anything is better than Shooting, Archery, Speedwalking, and that god awful Synchronised swimming. Get Darts, Pool, Snooker and Dominoes in anaw.

Edited by ri Alban

99% of events are children's gala. It has the feel of watching the three legged race or egg and spoon race. I think I feel like this as I hate 99% of sport but I would rather watch Eastenders and that is saying something.

Get these performance arts to feck. As someone said above, if you need judges, then it's not a sport.

How about Olympic-level Chap Door Run? I know a few contenders from my childhood!

10 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Get these performance arts to feck. As someone said above, if you need judges, then it's not a sport.

How about Olympic-level Chap Door Run? I know a few contenders from my childhood!

That was always my opinion but then someone mentioned boxing requiring judges. As much as I'm no boxing fan, I'd agree it's a sport. 

Edited by Normthebarman

11 hours ago, redjambo said:

Olympic sex would be a great idea. The one who comes first loses.

Too easy. Just give me ten pints then I'll be at it all night!

On 28/03/2019 at 07:39, Craig_ said:

Boxing would have been dumped long ago.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Olympics should be amateurs only. Andy Murray or Tiger Woods winning gold is a joke.

Why? It's an elite athlete competition.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

For amateurs

What do you define as amateurs. Do they need to have a second job?

Most elite athletes nowadays live through grants and sponsorship. What's the difference between that and being a professional? Effectively nothing - they're paid to pursue their career in sport.

Have a read of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_sports

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What do you define as amateurs. Do they need to have a second job?

Most elite athletes nowadays live through grants and sponsorship. What's the difference between that and being a professional? Effectively nothing - they're paid to pursue their career in sport.

Have a read of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_sports

Unpaid, like most Olympic athletes. Only recently have track and field elites like Usain have been professionals. Yes , they have been almost professional, by sponsorship. But do you think people like AJ should be allowed to fight in the Olympics, after turning pro? I couldn't watch a single game of Olympic football, because I think the WC is their Olympics, Wimbledon is their Olympics, and The Open is theirs.  Just how I view it red. Still love it.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Unpaid, like most Olympic athletes. Only recently have track and field elites like Usain have been professionals. Yes , they have been almost professional, by sponsorship. But do you think people like AJ should be allowed to fight in the Olympics, after turning pro? I couldn't watch a single game of Olympic football, because I think the WC is their Olympics, Wimbledon is their Olympics, and The Open is theirs.  Just how I view it red. Still love it.

I disagree with you on the amateur side of things. It was in the 1990s that the Olympic movement eventually started dropping the "amateur" requirement. However I agree that sports for whom their highest-level competition is more important than the Olympics shouldn't be in the Olympics. How do you gauge that though? I agree with you about football - what a farce it is that the Olympics is for under 23s. Just a marketing gimmick. As are golf and tennis. And yet sports like squash aren't in the Olympics.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I disagree with you on the amateur side of things. It was in the 1990s that the Olympic movement eventually started dropping the "amateur" requirement. However I agree that sports for whom their highest-level competition is more important than the Olympics shouldn't be in the Olympics. How do you gauge that though? I agree with you about football - what a farce it is that the Olympics is for under 23s. Just a marketing gimmick. As are golf and tennis. And yet sports like squash aren't in the Olympics.

I love squash, it should be an Olympic sport. The subcontinent would run amok/amuck tho.

Samuel Camazzola
22 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The Olympics should be amateurs only. Andy Murray or Tiger Woods winning gold is a joke.

Eldrick didn't win the gold. It was Justin Rose. ? ? 

On 29/03/2019 at 12:40, ri Alban said:

23 hours ago, Smithee said:

Why? It's an elite athlete competition.

Amateur high level sport doesn't exist any more.