Spartans & Edinburgh City

Escobar PHM

Escobar PHM

Sort of following on from last season, Spartans and Edinburgh City are now ground sharing for the next 3 years at Ainslie Park, whilst Meadowbank is re-modelled.

For those who haven't been, Ainslie Park is a nice wee ground with a 500 seat stand, easily accessible and, especially if you live on that side of town, there will be a lot of cheap but decent quality football this season. ITS ALSO GOT A CAFE/BAR OVERLOOKING THE PITCH !!!

I don't know much about Edinburgh City but Spartans are a great wee community club and they'll do a ?35 season ticket for anyone who already has a season ticket for an SPFL club. Parking is free and plentiful in the leisure centre nearby and on street in the local area. Plenty choice of buses stop nearby also

If you've got a spare day this season, give one of the clubs your support by popping along for a game at some stage.

Disclaimer. I don't work for either club but live locally and its a place worthy of mention and support.

NOTE ; Spartans are hosting a 4 team mini tournament this weekend with Hearts and Hibs sending young teams.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Chester™

ITS ALSO GOT A CAFE/BAR OVERLOOKING THE PITCH !!!

Which under SPFL rules, you're not allowed to be in, or view from, during the match.

As an aside, Meadowbank still hasnt been signed off by the council.

Edited by Chester?

John Findlay

They are building new turnstyles as I type to conform with league rules.

As my laddie plays for Spartans 2008 academy intake he is given well he was last season a kids ST for free. I am only a 15mins walk from Ainslie Park.

Spartans have a great set up and do absolutely loads for the local community.

Escobar PHM

Which under SPFL rules, you're not allowed to be in, or view from, during the match.

As an aside, Meadowbank still hasnt been signed off by the council.

This would apply to Edinburgh City only obviously.

Not sure how they will get round it.(comply I mean obviously)I think its a simple case of closing the blinds to make sure the pitch isn't visible. (Fecking crazy outdated legislation if you ask me but we all know who is to blame for it still being there)

Edited by Escobar PHM

Prince Buaben

Not sure how they will get round it.(comply I mean obviously)

A big curtain and lock the balcony so you cant see the pitch from inside. 

John Findlay

A big curtain and lock the balcony so you cant see the pitch from inside.

Yip. I think they have blinds that can be lowered. Not allowed on the balcony with alcohol. That balcony rule also applies for Spartan games too.

Chester™

Not sure how they will get round it.(comply I mean obviously)I think its a simple case of closing the blinds to make sure the pitch isn't visible. (Fecking crazy outdated legislation if you ask me but we all know who is to blame for it still being there)

The last Spartans game I was at, they applied the rule then too.

As mentioned, I believe its a blind and officials chasing you out.

Prince Buaben

Actually it should apply to Spartans too as the they are in the lowland league. Part of the league system.

Escobar PHM

Actually it should apply to Spartans too as the they are in the lowland league. Part of the league system.

Applies to the Highland league. Not the Lowland league as far as I can see.

Escobar PHM

The last Spartans game I was at, they applied the rule then too.

As mentioned, I believe its a blind and officials chasing you out.

Ive only ever been for friendlies and bounce games so far, and the bar was open and unrestricted (you could see the pitch from it.In fact I had a bottle of beer on the balcony overlooking the pitch.)

Chester™

Ive only ever been for friendlies and bounce games so far, and the bar was open and unrestricted (you could see the pitch from it.In fact I had a bottle of beer on the balcony overlooking the pitch.)

I believe for league and cup matches. I was told, on no uncertain terms by a Spartans official, about not being able to stay or drink on the balcony during the game.

Whether he was being overly cautious is another matter though.

Edited by Chester?

Fxxx the SPFL

Yep same for me when the laddie played with Gala Fairydean against Spartans you could have a beer and watch the game. Nice wee ground and only ten minutes from my mansion in Trinity.

:smugger:

Escobar PHM

I believe for league and cup matches. I was told, on no uncertain terms by a Spartans official, about not being able to stay or drink on the balcony during the game.

Whether he was being overly cautious is another matter though.

Yes that makes perfect sense for league games (designated events under the legislation which does now appear to apply to the Lowland league)

letsalldothebeattie

Anyone know if Edinburgh City are doing the half price entry to games for ST holders of Hearts/Hibs? like they did last season

Escobar PHM

Anyone know if Edinburgh City are doing the half price entry to games for ST holders of Hearts/Hibs? like they did last season

Dunno as their website has only come back up this morning and it doesn't mention it

?160 is on the steep side for a second club ST so I imagine they are working out some kind of deal similar to Spartans

queensferryjambo

Spartans are a great wee community club 

I thought Spartans had gone away from being an independent community club and were now a youth feeder club for Hibs. Didn't they do some deal with Hibs? Apologies if what I am saying is wrong.

The people who I know whose kids done well at Spartans all automatically went to train with Hibs. 

Son Of Anarchy

I thought Spartans had gone away from being an independent community club and were now a youth feeder club for Hibs. Didn't they do some deal with Hibs? Apologies if what I am saying is wrong.

The people who I know whose kids done well at Spartans all automatically went to train with Hibs.

No they dumped hibs.

Hungry hippo

That deal was terminated although I wouldn't have described it as a proper feeder club arrangement anyway.

Son Of Anarchy

That deal was terminated although I wouldn't have described it as a proper feeder club arrangement anyway.

Yeh, it wasn't but it was "one way" hence Spartans dumped them.

queensferryjambo

No they dumped hibs.

Good if that is the case.

Son Of Anarchy

Good if that is the case.

Certainly is mate. Spartans said not long into the partnership they weren't getting any benefits from it whereas hibs got everything so it was terminated quickly, rightly so too.

Edited by Son Of Anarchy

Chester™

?160 is on the steep side for a second club ST so I imagine they are working out some kind of deal similar to Spartans

A ST saves you over ?60 if you pay at the gate (and went to all the games).

Its the cheapest ST in British League football (unless someone is doing a cheaper one this season from last).

There is hope that the half price deal will happen again. AFAIK, City had to get SPFL approval to do it. Its pretty much out their hands, as are the walk up prices, which are set at a minimum.

I went to a few Edinburgh City games last season using my season ticket for a discount.

Enjoyable enough, last season did however have the novelty factor which might be gone this time round.

• 1 year later...
been here before
14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Sorry for the bump. Is the season ticket discount still going? Gonna head down on Saturday

Yep.

Its only 12 quid to get in though so I usually leave the ST and just give them the extra dough 

Edited by been here before

On 04/07/2017 at 18:06, Daveandal said:

I went to a few Edinburgh City games last season using my season ticket for a discount.

Enjoyable enough, last season did however have the novelty factor which might be gone this time round.

It's not gone pal , they are flying just now.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone thinking of heading along on Saturday? £6 with a season ticket and they're top of the league.

With no premiership games on, surely they'll put a few hundred on to their crowd.

11 minutes ago, pablo said:

Is anyone thinking of heading along on Saturday? £6 with a season ticket and they're top of the league.

With no premiership games on, surely they'll put a few hundred on to their crowd.

Yeah. I've wanted to get along a few times with no luck but it's all fallen into place for this one. A poor Stirling side as well so it should be a good one for any home support 

City are a decent team to watch. Play some good football. Guys like Conrad Balatoni and Craig Thomson have added good experience and composure. 

Worth a visit. 

31 minutes ago, pablo said:

Would love if we did. Previous evidence suggests otherwise due to snobbery over 'that type of football'.

29 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Think I'll take this in just along the road for me 

Love what Spartans do 

Near Rosewell then. ;)

8 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Would love if we did. Previous evidence suggests otherwise due to snobbery over 'that type of football'.

Suppose the difference this time is your current form?  Leading the league and having some high profile players hasn't gone unnoticed. 

Just now, pablo said:

Suppose the difference this time is your current form?  Leading the league and having some high profile players hasn't gone unnoticed. 

Alas not. 

Even though we've been flying and have the Irn-Bru Cup semi shortly, its still 'I'm not watching that level of football', 'that level is absolute pish', 'why would I want to watch lower league rubbish' etc.

Obviously, the majority havent set foot in a League Two match but that pish is what we're up against.

I went along to their first game in the league, I think it was against Forfar. Was a decent enough day out, reckon a lot of Hearts fans did head along because of the half price offer. 

I’d go down tomorrow, but it’s not the easiest place to get to without the car. 

14 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I think that puts a few off too. Cant wait to get to somewhere more accessible.

20 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Near Rosewell then. ;)

No at Spartans then ?

Just now, kimosavi said:

No at Spartans then ?

Not sure what City have got to do with 'what Spartans do', but I hope you enjoy the League Two leaders tomorrow. ;)

2 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Not sure what City have got to do with 'what Spartans do', but I hope you enjoy the League Two leaders tomorrow. ;)

Dont city use Spartans Ground whilst Meadowbank is being renovated? 

1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

Dont city use Spartans Ground whilst Meadowbank is being renovated? 

They do (though we'll not be returning to Meadowbank).

Still not sure what thats got to do with the work Spartans do though. ;)

Just now, Chester™ said:

They do (though we'll not be returning to Meadowbank).

Still not sure what thats got to do with the work Spartans do though. ;)

I was simply commenting that i love what Spartans are doing with the community projects they run and the numerous kids groups they coach and also letting City use their ground 

Its a fantastic organisation and very well run 

1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

I was simply commenting that i love what Spartans are doing with the community projects they run and the numerous kids groups they coach and also letting City use their ground 

Its a fantastic organisation and very well run 

We're the most unwelcome tenants ever I think. :lol:

Their 'fans' and some of their 'officials' are an 'acquired' taste though.

1 minute ago, Chester™ said:

We're the most unwelcome tenants ever I think. :lol:

Their 'fans' and some of their 'officials' are an 'acquired' taste though.

Aye i heard you lot were a pain in the ass ?

2 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Aye i heard you lot were a pain in the ass ?

Because we're in the league and they're no. :verysmug:

(Which has led them to be very petty over some things... :lol:)

Edited by Chester™

lost in leith
1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I went along to their first game in the league, I think it was against Forfar. Was a decent enough day out, reckon a lot of Hearts fans did head along because of the half price offer. 

Very easy to get a parking space in Morrison's which is a short walk.  I've been a handful of times and parked there.  Unless something has changed there is no time limit in the Morrison's car park.

Disclaimer - Tesco between Leith Walk and Easter Road recently introduced a time limit and have wardens.  Best to check Morrison's set up hasn't changed.  I doubt it will have as the car park is massive but you never know.........

4 minutes ago, lost in leith said:

Very easy to get a parking space in Morrison's which is a short walk.  I've been a handful of times and parked there.  Unless something has changed there is no time limit in the Morrison's car park.

Disclaimer - Tesco between Leith Walk and Easter Road recently introduced a time limit and have wardens.  Best to check Morrison's set up hasn't changed.  I doubt it will have as the car park is massive but you never know.........

Plenty on-street parking even closer.

12 minutes ago, lost in leith said:

I don’t have access to a car tomorrow was my point. I used to play football on the pitches at Ainslie Park every week so know a few of the good places to park. 

A bus from Midlothian to town, then out to Ferry Road isn’t the easiest. 

Hope they win tomorrow. Another Edinburgh side doing well will fill the gap left by Hibernian being perpetually toilet. 

lost in leith
4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I don’t have access to a car tomorrow was my point. I used to play football on the pitches at Ainslie Park every week so know a few of the good places to park. 

Hope they win tomorrow. Another Edinburgh side doing well will fill the gap left by Hibernian being perpetually toilet. 

Sorry, quick reply over lunch and didn't notice the important word "without" - d'oh

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Where in Midlothian?