The rest of the SPL Vs Old Firm?

Fourcandles

It seems to me as though the OF struggle to beat other SPL teams this yr.

In recent weeks Rangers struggled to a 1-0 over Gretna and an 89th min single goal win at ICT, also Sellick just managed to beat Killie by 1-0 (an OG at that) and these are the bottom 2 sides in the SPL.

A few years ago the OF would beat most of the mid-table sides by 3,4 or 5 goals and the bottom teams would almost always get a right good pumping.

Have they, the OF, come down a level or has everyone else gone up a level?

On the basis of European measurement Sellick under O?Neil never got to the last 16 of the CL, yet the current Sellick have done it twice, which would give some credence to the argument that the rest of the SPL have gone up a level rather than the OF come down a level ? ????

:compute:

loveofthegame

In recent weeks Rangers struggled to a 1-0 over Gretna and an 89th min single goal win at ICT, also Sellick just managed to beat Killie by 1-0 (an OG at that) and these are the bottom 2 sides in the SPL.

A few years ago the OF would beat most of the mid-table sides by 3,4 or 5 goals and the bottom teams would almost always get a right good pumping.

On the basis of European measurement Sellick under O?Neil never got to the last 16 of the CL, yet the current Sellick have done it twice, which would give some credence to the argument that the rest of the SPL have gone up a level rather than the OF come down a level ? ????

Celtic and Rangers are as poor as they've been in a long long time. My belief is that the whole league is of a lower standard than usual.

The past 3 seasons(from Burley to this one inclusive) have been A MASSIVE oppertunity for any side with a bit of backing. These past 3 seasons were our chance.

We've ****ed up and missed the boat. Who knows when the next chance will come around....

IMO the SPL is just as bad as it has ever been. I think the reality is that the OF have come down a level.

IMO the SPL is just as bad as it has ever been. I think the reality is that the OF have come down a level.

I feel that too, as i said the only wierd thing is that the OF both tried for 10 or more years to get through the CL group stages (say 20 attempts between them both) then Rangers manage it first then Sellick do it twice, i.e 3 yrs in a row between them - after 20 or whatever attempts leading up to that.

Dunno - Maybe the answer is nothing do with SPL standards rather the rest of Europe has come down a level.

:ninja:

As long as the huns dont struggle to beat the Hobos in the next round.

Europe as a whole's poorer imo.

All the recent "tycoons" buying in has spread the talent out that much that even the worst OF team's in years aren't that bad by European standards anymore.

They are not spending as much on players these days, and I think team realiase if you attack the OF, they are not superman and can be beat, as there defence is not the best in the world, and the OF have not learnt with teams attacking them or at least being more postive.

Archived