How to survive retirement?

davemclaren

Grandkid on the way, guitar, gym, walking, holidays should getme started.

Grandkid on the way!! that's your retirement sorted then, it was for me, grandkids, drums and Hearts.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Looking to retire in 4-5 years and pass my business on to my employees who can buy it off me.

Started doing a fairly obscure/niche Masters this year as a long term plan of what do when I retire.

Should more than get you started, sounds perfect, always remember that you with the help of your family earned it, and your only duty now is to enjoy it, and my wish is that you do to the fullest.

Congratulations Dave.

I meant to say that my wife and myself plan to learn the guitar so any tips for acoustic guitars would be smashing.

None of yer electric stuff for us oldies....

:note::note2:

hendrixthejambo

:10200:

Should more than get you started, sounds perfect, always remember that you with the help of your family earned it, and your only duty now is to enjoy it, and my wish is that you do to the fullest.

Cheers Bob.

Dagger Is Back

Sounds perfect to me. Perfect balance, family, fitness, travel and hobbies.

You have no worries about being bored Dave

Enjoy

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. I'll report back after a few months to let you know how I'm getting on. :)

Make sure you do Dave.

:thumb:

scott herbertson

Enjoy yourself Dave - I am just over two years into my retirement and enjoyed every minute of it, apart from the odd Hearts result.

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. I'll report back after a few months to let you know how I'm getting on. :)

You probably won't Dave....You'll be too busy.

• 1 year later...
On 25/06/2017 at 21:18, davemclaren said:

Ok, thought I would seek the views of the Shed on this.

I've counted up my pennies and decided to stop work from the end of September. My Mrs retired a year ago and has been pressurising me to do it so I've finally succumbed. I've told her it's for a six month trial, which a bit of a joke, but I do reserve the right to find another job ( not full time or in the he same line I am in at present ) if it doesn't work out for me. :)

Any tips on survival?

So, Nearly two years on since I retired and I’ve survived. 

I don’t miss work at all and I finally deleted my LinkedIn account a month or ago to finally kill of the prospect of any return.

We ( well Mrs McL with assistance from me) look after our 22 month old grandson two days a week which is great fun but exhausting. 

I spend more time playing my guitars and have got into watching tv series ( mainly on netflix ) watching two or 3 episodes at a time ( late at night ) which I didn’t do before. 

We go about twice as many holidays a year than we used to which is great, but expensive. I still do spin classes but have pit a big if weight on over the two years which might well be linked to the holidays!!

i don’t feel like I have a lot more spare time but that’s probably down to not having to rush things anymore.

Overall, I can recommend not working. 😎

25 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t miss work at all and I finally deleted my LinkedIn account a month or ago to finally kill of the prospect of any return.

We ( well Mrs McL with assistance from me) look after our 22 month old grandson two days a week which is great fun but exhausting. 

I spend more time playing my guitars and have got into watching tv series ( mainly on netflix ) watching two or 3 episodes at a time ( late at night ) which I didn’t do before. 

We go about twice as many holidays a year than we used to which is great, but expensive. I still do spin classes but have pit a big if weight on over the two years which might well be linked to the holidays!!

i don’t feel like I have a lot more spare time but that’s probably down to not having to rush things anymore.

Glad it’s all worked out well for you, Dave.  Long may it continue.

24 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I'll second that in its entirety, it will be twenty eight years for me, and never missed work at all. Many trips by plane, many by car throughout the United States and Canada, and latterly short three day drives to Vegas. Enjoyed grandchildren as kids, and now for one reason and another just enjoying a quiet life at home.  Some of lifes decisions made one wonder if they were the right thing, but they were, this two near three decades has proven it.

9 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I'll second that in its entirety, it will be twenty eight years for me, and never missed work at all. Many trips by plane, many by car throughout the United States and Canada, and latterly short three day drives to Vegas. Enjoyed grandchildren as kids, and now for one reason and another just enjoying a quiet life at home.  Some of lifes decisions made one wonder if they were the right thing, but they were, this two near three decades has proven it.

👍👍

I've counted up my pennies and decided to stop work from the end of September. My Mrs retired a year ago and has been pressurising me to do it so I've finally succumbed. I've told her it's for a six month trial, which a bit of a joke, but I do reserve the right to find another job ( not full time or in the he same line I am in at present ) if it doesn't work out for me. :)

Any tips on survival?

Grandkids!! You'll wish you never stopped ....😂😂 me and the mrs are knackered ,great fun but hard feckin work...😂😂

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You still work; you just don't get paid for it anymore.

I retired a while ago and certainly don't miss the daily commute, although I miss the interaction with my work colleagues a bit.

Biggest drawback to retirement, imo?  The cocktail hour starts much earlier in the day. Gotta watch that.

38 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I retired a while ago and certainly don't miss the daily commute, although I miss the interaction with my work colleagues a bit.

Biggest drawback to retirement, imo?  The cocktail hour starts much earlier in the day. Gotta watch that.

I certainly don’t miss the corporate bullshit I used to hear and have to spout. Cocktail hour...now you’re talking. 

41 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I certainly don’t miss the corporate bullshit I used to hear and have to spout. Cocktail hour...now you’re talking. 

Pair of bloody alkies you two sound.

Get some water down you for goodness sake.  :rolleyes:

::troll::

I would suggest the greatest attribute to retiring is to have a plan of what you want to do, where you want to do it, and a close study of your finances to ensure you can implement and have success in the plan. You have to be wanting to retire, and if done right it is wonderful.

Just with this thread recalled it is sixty seven years ago tomorrow that I entered the hallowed gates of the Guards Depot, Caterham Surrey, this hell on earth did though in fact  create the man I came to be. It taught me many important factors in life. The most important the Regimental Motto. Touch Me Not With Impunity.

Edited by bobsharp

8 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Golf all day every day. If i make that far thats my plan. I might actually be good at it by then, just an other 40+ years to go.

Thats exactly what I did , moved house built a new one in a small town, 3000 people, lovely course, new house two minute walk from the course, spring in late February, and golf at least once every month of the year. Social life through the golf excellent, and tourist visitors  supplied lots of new faces to join us at golf. The only problem I had was around the middle of  August wishing it would rain so I could have a day off.

15 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Golf all day every day. If i make that far thats my plan. I might actually be good at it by then, just an other 40+ years to go.

You’ll be fine.

I stopped working at the age of 43 and just ‘went away’.  Wotked out brilliant.

So far :lol:

Good luck to you.

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

You’ll be fine.

I stopped working at the age of 43 and just ‘went away’.  Wotked out brilliant.

So far :lol:

Good luck to you.

Aye, I’d like to know how you wangled that one. 😎

Any tips on survival?

I stopped full time work at forty. Kept thinking I had to find "the next thing to do", but frankly I don't, and twenty years later I'm a comfortable and hapy lazy b@stard. Some people like it some don't. All the best.....!!

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

This is kind of where I am just now. I/doctor decided I needed a career break, a few months ago. I keep telling myself I need to do something else. Though I don’t think it’s cause I want to, but more about setting an example to my kids about work ethic etc. 

If honest with myself,  I am thinking my career break might just be an early retirement. 

I love having time to myself and feel so much happier not working and not always feeling I’m in a race all the time and having to deal with ****ing idiots. I enjoy being able to spend time with the family without feeling stressed out my box doing something that had become deeply unsatisfying. My kids and wife are much happier as I’m a much nicer person to live with. 

I have remembered/learned how deeply satisfying the little thing are like spending time helping your kids with homework. 

I was in a constant rage as was just on edge all the time. I never realised what a ***** I had become. 

The one piece advice I would give people about work is do something you love; no good comes from doing something you hate. 

👍