• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• maroonlegions

• Cade

• Mikey1874

Watching the news now. Absolutely terrifying sight, as you say never seen anything like it.

How can an entire block go up like that?

been here before

Seeing it on the news this morning and its some sight. I wouldnt be surprised if it crumbles to the ground.

The way the whole this is alight you have to wonder about some dodgy material being used in its construction.

Seeing it on the news this morning and its some sight. I wouldnt be surprised if it crumbles to the ground.

The way the whole this is alight you have to wonder about some dodgy material being used in its construction.

Seemingly it just had ?10m worth of upgrades done to it

Ibrahim Tall

Holy shit, like something from a disaster movie.

From the sound of it it's related to some sort of plastic cladding that the exterior of the building was recently refurbed with.

Heard about this on the radio on my way in to work, just saw the pictures just now.

Horrendous, utterly horrendous :(

Heard about it on the radio when I woke up and I'm sure they said anyone above 3rd floor would struggle to get out.

Looked up BBC News website and could only watch a few seconds of the video they had up.

Horrifying.

It was called in just before 1am, so most of the residents were probably asleep whilst it engulfed the building. Probably woke up just before it was too late. Horrible.

Ibrahim Tall

It was called in just before 1am, so most of the residents were probably asleep whilst it engulfed the building. Probably woke up just before it was too late. Horrible.

Apparently a pretty large North African/Nigerian community live in the area so a lot were actually awake due to Ramadan pretty luckily.

Man thats horrific.

Hope everyone got out. Miracle if there are no fatalities by the looks of it.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Eye witness says woman jumped from the eighth floor to escape flames. By the sounds of things there's going to a number of fatalities. Tragic stuff.

Looks awful. Those poor people who are high up...doesn't bear thinking about. Already speculation that it has risen on the outside of the building through the cladding which has only just been done. Surely regulations now would dictate that these materials should be fire resistant these days though.

Numerous people confirmed dead by the LFB commissioner.

I wonder how many other buildings have been upgraded in this way if it transpires the fire was exacerbated by construction materials.

Edited by Dannie Boy

Салатные палочки

Unbelievable. Horrific. Can't even imagine what it must have been like being trapped in that.

Dont want to speculate but the contractor who did the upgrade must be shitting themselves. If that was the fuel for this then the material is clearly very unsuitable.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

John Findlay

Not being flippant but those of us of a certain vintaGE right away thought, tower inferno. I hope casualties/fatalities are minimum.

Saw on the news this morning. If I was in that building I'd probably jump too, absolutely terrified of the idea that I'm stuck in a burning building never mind a high rise like that.

Absolutely horrific. I'd hate to live somewhere higher than the longest fireman's ladder.

God knows how many people will have died in this. Appalling scenes.

Do t think they will ever know actually how many died.

The Internet

Seen a couple of blog posts from months ago about the landlords. Basically saying it would take something like this for their ineptitude to be exposed.

Grim as ****.

Probably my worst nightmare, being trapped in a burning building.

This, that is unreal footage. :(

The Real Maroonblood

Not being flippant but those of us of a certain vintaGE right away thought, tower inferno. I hope casualties/fatalities are minimum.

That film was due to be screened on TCM this Friday.

Obviously it won't be on now.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Say What Again

Absolutely horrific thinking of the folk trapped in that block. Even more so on the higher floors :(

I'm heading to London on Friday for the weekend and the flat we've rented is on the main street this tower block sits off. Only a 7 min walk away according to Google Maps.

I'm assuming I'll probably need to look for somewhere else.

Not that for one single second is that my primary concern here, before any keyboard crusader starts.  :blah:

Jambo-Jimbo

Do t think they will ever know actually how many died.

Tenants records for the folks who will be unaccounted for, they would I'd imagine give the authorities a rough number of how many people who potentially could have been unable to get out and have sadly perished.

It's the sheer speed that the fire spread according to witnesses that would have given many on the higher floors little chance to escape.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Салатные палочки

Wow.  That is pretty compelling reading.  

"The Grenfell Action Group predict that it won?t be long before the words of this blog come back to haunt the KCTMO management and we will do everything in our power to ensure that those in authority know how long and how appallingly our landlord has ignored their responsibility to ensure the heath and safety of their tenants and leaseholders. They can?t say that they haven?t been warned!"

"The Grenfell Action Group predict that it won?t be long before the words of this blog come back to haunt the KCTMO management and we will do everything in our power to ensure that those in authority know how long and how appallingly our landlord has ignored their responsibility to ensure the heath and safety of their tenants and leaseholders. They can?t say that they haven?t been warned!"

Dodgy

Bindy Badgy

Victoria Derbyshire now interviewing a bunch of traumatised residents on the BBC News channel. A load of speculation as to the causes and so on thrown in for good measure. Not really sure what that accomplishes.

Edited by Stokesy

Not for one second am I going to suggest there has been any sort of foul play by anyone connected with that group - but given the conent published on their blog, I'd imagine there will be some questions asked for sure.

My daughter went to do a GCSE this morning knowing that kids in her school year are missing. I hope all are safe but it doesn't look good.

Horrific. I woke up to see the news alert on my phone from the BBC but I didn't expect it to be quite so extreme.

I've got an afternoon of fire safety training today, I suspect a few people will be paying more attention than they usually do.

I P Knightley

Absolutely horrific thinking of the folk trapped in that block. Even more so on the higher floors :(

I'm heading to London on Friday for the weekend and the flat we've rented is on the main street this tower block sits off. Only a 7 min walk away according to Google Maps.

I'm assuming I'll probably need to look for somewhere else.

Not that for one single second is that my primary concern here, before any keyboard crusader starts.  :blah:

It'll only be a small number of streets affected for the rest of the week. I'm guessing Ladbroke Grove being about 7 minutes from the fire - got friends there with kids at my kids' school. Once the Westway is reopened, their lives will be back to normal. Had to walk a bit this morning instead of taking a bus was the extent of their hassle this morning.

That post from the action group reads as being very aggressive. It reflects a huge amount of frustration, voiced by people with little political nous. 

Unconfirmed reports that a faulty fridge on 4th floor may have started the fire...

Edit - this was reported on BBC News so not some random social media site.  Although where the BBC got the info....

Edited by DETTY29

I'm sure I heard Sky News say that firemen were now up to the 20th floor.  Brave, brave men.

been here before

Not for one second am I going to suggest there has been any sort of foul play by anyone connected with that group - but given the conent published on their blog, I'd imagine there will be some questions asked for sure.

First thing that went through my mind.

Bit of an extreme way to make a point though.

Residents have been making a series of health and safety complaints for over three years.

Escapees saying that the fire alarms didn't go off (there's thousands of them in the building)

Prosecutions are a certainty after this.

Say What Again

I'm guessing Ladbroke Grove being about 7 minutes from the fire - got friends there with kids at my kids' school. Once the Westway is reopened, their lives will be back to normal. Had to walk a bit this morning instead of taking a bus was the extent of their hassle this morning.

You guessed correctly. 

Thanks for the info. I thought with the possibility of the block coming down, there may have been a need to remove people from surrounding areas (based on a guy at work telling me that when they demolished a block of flats when he was in Dundee, everyone in the surrounding neighbourhood had to be evacuated). 

The owner of the property has actually contacted us since my original post to let us know that everything will go ahead as planned and he'll meet us outside the property on Friday.