Paterson at Cardiff ( merged )

kila

I think once Callum is up to speed, Andy Robertson will only play for Scotland if we play a back three with Tierney as a left sided centre half. If we play 442 then Tierney is the left back.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think once Callum is up to speed, Andy Robertson will only play for Scotland if we play a back three with Tierney as a left sided centre half. If we play 442 then Tierney is the left back.

Andy Robertson over Tierney for me with Paterson on the right when he's fit.

Robertson currently plays at a much higher level with much better players than Tierney. And Tierney hasn't looked convincing on the right.

Andy Robertson over Tierney for me with Paterson on the right when he's fit.

Robertson currently plays at a much higher level with much better players than Tierney. And Tierney hasn't looked convincing on the right.

This for me. Tierney is a talent but he's overegged given the standard of opposition he faces. Robertson is a much better player imo.

If Paterson fulfills his potential and progresses down south I can see him, Robertson and Tierney all being mainstays of the Scotland team for the next decade. All of them are good enough footballers to play further forward than at full back if necessary.

Anyone dismissing Tierney because he plays for a dominate Celtic in a poor league are clearly not paying attention. He's one of the most outstanding young Scots to come through in eons and in my opinion he'll be playing for a top 6 English club within the next 12 months. His transfer fee will smash the record for a Scottish player.

Edited by Hendricks

If Paterson fulfills his potential and progresses down south I can see him, Robertson and Tierney all being mainstays of the Scotland team for the next decade. All of them are good enough footballers to play further forward than at full back if necessary.

Anyone dismissing Tierney because he plays for a dominate Celtic in a poor league are clearly not paying attention. He's one of the most outstanding young Scots to come through in eons and in my opinion he'll be playing for a top 6 English club within the next 12 months. His transfer fee will smash the record for a Scottish player.

I'm not dismissing him just reckon Robertson is a better player and has shown it at a high level whereas Tierney has excelled against cannon fodder.

If Tierney starts 30+ games in a season for a top 6 EPL side in his career I'll be utterly amazed.

You may well be right.

But I feel Robertson doesn't get the praise he deserves due to the fact he didn't play first team for Rangers or Celtic.

joondalupjambo

With Kingsley we have three quality left backs.

Dare I say you can add in Lee Wallace to that list as well. Solid player who can play international level.

Start Robertson LM and Tierney LB, they can interchange with one another so we get the best of both worlds.

Disagree. Tierney never hits the byline on the right, was constantly cutting inside and struggles to show attackers away from goal. This was against Lithuania; against a decent side he'd be shredded.

We are unlucky to have two good players in the same position, shoehorning them into other positions isn't the answer.

I think Robertson can and has played further forward on the left, so possible Tierney at left back and Robertson and left mid might allow Paterson to get a run at right back. He's certainly good enough to be a regular international, I'm just not sure he's found his best position or where exactly he fits into the current crop.

Guest Paul Allen

He's certainly good enough to be a regular international, I'm just not sure he's found his best position or where exactly he fits into the current crop.

He fits in at right-back mate.

i wish jj was my dad

Disagree. Tierney never hits the byline on the right, was constantly cutting inside and struggles to show attackers away from goal. This was against Lithuania; against a decent side he'd be shredded.

We are unlucky to have two good players in the same position, shoehorning them into other positions isn't the answer.

I'd be inclined to play Tierney at left back and Robertson in front of him.  Tierney is a better defender but Robertson is cracking going forward.  If Callum gets back to where he was he is our best option at right back

I'd have Paterson and Tierney at full back. Push Robertson up into the left wing. Allowing one of our creative wide players to pull inside and give space for Robertson to whip in balls for someone uptop. Don't have much confidence in Robertson defensively but really rate him as an attacking option

You may well be right.

But I feel Robertson doesn't get the praise he deserves due to the fact he didn't play first team for Rangers or Celtic.

Exactly this. Tierney came up through the Celtic system and was steeped in what it means to play for a big club. He is obviously a great player who will go far if he continues the way he's going but Robertson is the finished article already for me. That said, for once Tierney is an OF player who might actually live up to the hype. I doubt they'll get the ridiculous money being bandied about though, anymore than they'll get 20m for Dembele.

Robertson started at the bottom and has worked his way up very quickly to one of the best clubs in the world and full international level, and he's made the step up look effortless each time. MoM on his Liverpool debut for example.

Edited by socrates82

I'd be inclined to play Tierney at left back and Robertson in front of him. Tierney is a better defender but Robertson is cracking going forward. If Callum gets back to where he was he is our best option at right back

That sounds terrific to be fair.

Totally agree with you on this Hendricks.  He's a superb player and destined for the top.

Totally agree with you on this Hendricks.  He's a superb player and destined for the top.

Surprised Liverpool didnt sign him in the summer. They went for Robertson instead. 

Surprised Liverpool didnt sign him in the summer. They went for Robertson instead.

Think when Tierney goes he'll go for double what Robertson went for. I've heard that Tierney is hardcore Celtic though so won't be easy to convince to leave.

Think when Tierney goes he'll go for double what Robertson went for. I've heard that Tierney is hardcore Celtic though so won't be easy to convince to leave.

Which means we'll never really know just how good he is if he plays against conor sammons and simon murrays for most of his career.

Which means we'll never really know just how good he is if he plays against conor sammons and simon murrays for most of his career.

True I would hope that's not the case though and he shows some ambition.  The gulf in money should surely be enough and I think he is good enough for a top 5 team in England so he won't miss out on Champions League football.  There's really no other reason to stay at Celtic.

I have said it before but I think Tierney can play for any club he wants to, unfortunately he does already.

I wasn't knocking Andy Robertson earlier, he is a terrific player, but Tierney, imho, is better. Good news for Scotland in a difficult area of the team, although I think the last game all the defence were left footed, including Craig Gordon. 

Edited by PsychocAndy

Guest Paul Allen

I'm amazed so many on here seem sure that Tierney will become a better player than Robertson.

Robertson was brilliant on his Liverpool debut against Crystal Palace, arguably MOTM for Scotland against Lithuania, and first class again last night against Leicester. Tierney has potential, but Robertson is bona fide Premier League quality.

I'm amazed so many on here seem sure that Tierney will become a better player than Robertson.

Robertson was brilliant on his Liverpool debut against Crystal Palace, arguably MOTM for Scotland against Lithuania, and first class again last night against Leicester. Tierney has potential, but Robertson is bona fide Premier League quality.

The thing that might block Tierney from progressing to a big EPL club is clubs want FBs and wing backs who are good attackers these days. That's why Kyle Walker went for 50m.

Tierney's an excellent defender at this level but he's not good enough going forward for me. Robertson and Paterson fit the mold of the modern full back/wing back better IMO.

That's not to say Tierney won't develop but I doubt he'll get much better if he stays at Celtic. Of course he'll be hyped up because he's at Celtic but If Paterson had done for them what he did for us he'd have been hyped up more as well.

Edited by socrates82

The thing that might block Tierney from progressing to a big EPL club is clubs want FBs and wing backs who are good attackers these days. That's why Kyle Walker went for 50m.

Tierney's an excellent defender at this level but he's not good enough going forward for me. Robertson and Paterson fit the mold of the modern full back/wing back better for me.

That's not to say Tierney won't develop but I doubt he'll get much better if he stays at Celtic.

I'd disagree with that, I think what makes Tierney an excellent player is as well as his ability to defend, he knows when to attack, and his passing and crossing in the final third tend to be great and he makes all the supporting runs you would expect of a 'modern day full-back'. At RB for Scotland, you can tell he holds back from attacking because it isn't his natural side but he still defends well. I'd say compared to players in the EPL, he is most similar to Ben Davies, who is proving to be an outstanding player for Spurs even though he offers a different type of attacking to Danny Rose.

I'd disagree with that, I think what makes Tierney an excellent player is as well as his ability to defend, he knows when to attack, and his passing and crossing in the final third tend to be great and he makes all the supporting runs you would expect of a 'modern day full-back'. At RB for Scotland, you can tell he holds back from attacking because it isn't his natural side but he still defends well. I'd say compared to players in the EPL, he is most similar to Ben Davies, who is proving to be an outstanding player for Spurs even though he offers a different type of attacking to Danny Rose.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of Tierney but I just don't see him as an attacking FB or WB, whereas Robertson is very good at that. I agree about his Scotland performances which is why Patterson should slot back in there when fit. Robertson could play ahead of Tierney in a more defensive set-up but if we're looking to take the game to the opposition I'd play Robertson over Tierney and put a more natural attacker ahead of him.

Tierney is the genuine article.

He'll be the record Scottish transfer in next 24 months. The fee payable will be a monster - north of ?25M in all likelihood

Captain Canada

Tierney is a top quality player already and will go on to great things I reckon.

The gap is only going to get wider when they sell him and Dembele to name just two. That's probably over ?50m in cash coming their way when they do move on.

Athleticism yes. His attitude could get him to one of the top 4 in England, the most enthusiastic player I've ever seen live

Not quite....... 00d4a0e3836e60b4227d5368df0892f6.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

INCREDIBLE player. I absolutely loved CC.

I seen Robertson, Levein, Mclaren, McCann, Colquhoun, Skacel, Hartley, Pressley, Fysass, some absolutely amazing players for Hearts but Colin Cameron is the finest player I ever seen in maroon. He gave absolutely everything in every single game

I seen Robertson, Levein, Mclaren, McCann, Colquhoun, Skacel, Hartley, Pressley, Fysass, some absolutely amazing players for Hearts but Colin Cameron is the finest player I ever seen in maroon. He gave absolutely everything in every single game

Colin Cameron is an absolute legend but I rate Robbo, Levein, McCann, Colquhoun, Skacel & Pressley higher than him (of the guys you listed). But that takes nothing whatsoever away from CC.

rudi must stay

Not quite....... 00d4a0e3836e60b4227d5368df0892f6.jpg

Tierney's workrate beats Cameron's, although I would say he's the best creative midfielder I've seen in a Hearts shirt, that's including Hartley Edited by rudi must stay

Colin Cameron is an absolute legend but I rate Robbo, Levein, McCann, Colquhoun, Skacel & Pressley higher than him (of the guys you listed). But that takes nothing whatsoever away from CC.

It is all about opinions, all those guys I absolutely loved and idolised but the sheer effort, workrate and creativity Cameron brought were only overshadowed by the fact that he left absolutely everything on the pitch every single game

It is all about opinions, all those guys I absolutely loved and idolised but the sheer effort, workrate and creativity Cameron brought were only overshadowed by the fact that he left absolutely everything on the pitch every single game

Cameron is the player I remember being most gutted about losing, including when Robbo, Gordon, Rudi and Hartley left. He was at the centre of everything good we did on the park while he played for us. I thought he was irreplaceable at the time and we kind of never did replace him. Only Hartley came close for me but he was a different kind of player.

Edit: To keep on topic, thinking about it Paterson is probably close to Cameron as someone I thought would be impossible to replace.

Edited by socrates82

Yep, like I said, he is a legend and I am eternally grateful to him. Great, great player.

Edit: To keep on topic, thinking about it Paterson is probably close to Cameron as someone I thought would be impossible to replace.

This is a very good post. Their fight, passion and work rate are very similar and extremely rare qualities to find.

Tierney is the genuine article.

He'll be the record Scottish transfer in next 24 months. The fee payable will be a monster - north of ?25M in all likelihood

l tend to agree with this...Scotland seem to have a few good lads capable of EPL play.....

But not nearly enough, should have 3 or 4 each year...

Remember as primary school kid, because of perini football albums all the Scots in the top league down south...

Regarding Cameron, I've made my feelings about the guy known many a time on here but I'll say it again anyway. The guy is an absolute legend.

Put it this way. If I came home and found him in bed with the missus, I'd quietly shut the door, leave a snout and a cup of tea for when he's finished, and frame the bedsheets like some kind of perverse Turin Shroud.

I've been following this thread to see how Paterson is doing, however the last few days it seems to have turned into a love fest over Tierney, WTF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

Paterson has great attributes and if use correctly can really o er power teams down thier left side and actually become a goal threat.

However, imo he's technically limited and won't reach the very top, but he will make a great living out of football and a similar 6 months- year like He had for us could easily see him move for a hefty fee, ?10m is nothing to a lowered epl or even top championship club.

Can't see him at a top ten epl side, but anything below is a go-er.

Hate to say it, even a move to Celtic is a possibility in the future.

Cardiff- Swansea/ west brom type team- Celtic later on.

Paterson has great attributes and if use correctly can really o er power teams down thier left side and actually become a goal threat.

However, imo he's technically limited and won't reach the very top, but he will make a great living out of football and a similar 6 months- year like He had for us could easily see him move for a hefty fee, ?10m is nothing to a lowered epl or even top championship club.

Can't see him at a top ten epl side, but anything below is a go-er.

Hate to say it, even a move to Celtic is a possibility in the future.

Cardiff- Swansea/ west brom type team- Celtic later on.

Again with the technically limited. He scored a very high number of very technical - i.e. incredibly well struck - goals or headers for us. As a defender his technical ability is fine. If Alan Hutton can have a decent career at the highest level in England Calum can. If he had more technical ability - I assume you mean ball control, passing, dribbling - he'd be a winger or striker.