Ebay

belly

Recently purchased an item from Ebay, got it for a good price.

Included in the post was pick up welcome, but seller also included postage fees.

Item hasn't arrived and seller not answering any communication. I think the seller is unhappy at the price the item went for, but there was no reserve.

Have lodged an action with Ebay.

Has anyone successfully lodge an action and got the item delivered or did you get refunded your money?

Alwayssunnyingorgie

I had someone log an appeal against me, I posted the item and had proof but they said it never arrived, I ended up having to refund the guy and I think he got the item aswell.

AlimOzturk

I lodged a complaint after not receiving an item.

Turns out there was a screw up at the post office and the item was finally delivered.

Got in touch with the seller and got his money to him, including the postage fee.

Felt bad for lodging the complaint.

No real protection for sellers EBay. The buyer holds all the cards hence i would not sell on EBay. Certainly nothing of value

I had someone log an appeal against me, I posted the item and had proof but they said it never arrived, I ended up having to refund the guy and I think he got the item aswell.

It's pretty shit but proof of posting is not proof of delivery. (as you know)

You'll definitely get your money back but might not get the item.

If I'm selling on there I tend to send signed for so they can't pretend it's not been received. I've only had one bad experience.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

I never knew this until I had the complaint, I don't sell now because I'm not wanting ripped off

luckyBatistuta

You'll definitely get your money back but might not get the item.

If I'm selling on there I tend to send signed for so they can't pretend it's not been received. I've only had one bad experience.

I paid ?25 for a 5ft inflatable Spiderman for the kiddies taxi outing. After paying for the item, I received nothing. I sent the seller a message and received nothing back. I then took out a dispute against the seller through eBay and also done a bit of research and found out the guy had previously done this same thing under different accounts. In the end, I didn't receive a penny of my money back. That was a few years back now and I've had a few other problems with sellers and had refunds, so I don't know if they've changed things since then. I always use Paypal when paying for an item.

Sold a few things and most of them were fine, shafted once or twice with postage (my own fault underestimated the cost) and had one query that the item was more scratched than described (I didn't think so but my Mrs agreed so I offered a part refund and gratefully the buyer was happy)

Until my dreaded iPhone 4

Advertised as it was, (had a tiny wee crack and a couple of buttons were a bit stiff)

'Sold' it 4 times and each time there was an immediate message 'my kid was logged in, or I didn't mean to bid, the usual crap, but I was naive and cancelled the first few but they clearly didn't read about the damages

3rd guy kept me waiting 3 weeks so I opened the file and got it noted. Eventually got a message saying he didn't want it as he got an iPhone 6 for free and didn't want to buy something he didn't want (went both barrels on the guy for wasting my time)

After the 4th time I was getting irritated and about to give up when I sold it AND got payment.

Quickly followed by a message saying it was their kid who logged in.

Called bullshit, posted it with tracking and got the confirmation

Never heard again, but gave up selling after that and only buy now

I paid ?25 for a 5ft inflatable Spiderman for the kiddies taxi outing. After paying for the item, I received nothing. I sent the seller a message and received nothing back. I then took out a dispute against the seller through eBay and also done a bit of research and found out the guy had previously done this same thing under different accounts. In the end, I didn't receive a penny of my money back. That was a few years back now and I've had a few other problems with sellers and had refunds, so I don't know if they've changed things since then. I always use Paypal when paying for an item.

I always use PayPal and twice had to open a dispute and twice got my money back.

There's an eBay money back guarantee, not sure if that's a new thing or not. You should definitely have got you money back.

luckyBatistuta

I always use PayPal and twice had to open a dispute and twice got my money back.

There's an eBay money back guarantee, not sure if that's a new thing or not. You should definitely have got you money back.

It was a long time ago, so maybe they didn't have the Paypal option then, or I just didn't use it. eBay didn't want anything to do with a refund at the time, even though the guy was obviously at it and I got bumped.

Try selling a Rolex on ebay. Only then will you understand what hassle is. It's like opening a Pandora's box of arseholery.

luckyBatistuta

I sold one of my taxis on eBay and got loads of bids and with seconds to go, a guy in Ireland won it. My initial reaction was 'oh no, this is going to be a hassle' and lo and behold, he didn't pay and wouldn't answer anything I sent. I ended up offering it to the person who was the 2nd highest offer, but they didn't respond. I ended up relisting it, but never got any bids and think it was because folk must have been worried that there was something wrong with it. eBay was always my first port of call, when I was after something that I didn't want to pay a lot of money for. That's all changed now, as I now get these things from Amazon, plus I pretty much get it next day with them.

Jambo-Jimbo

Try selling a Rolex on ebay. Only then will you understand what hassle is. It's like opening a Pandora's box of arseholery.

That would be fun.  :uhoh2:

Heard some horror stories over the years, smart phones seem to be a favourite con, not by the seller but the buyer.

One case I heard about was someone sold a perfectly good iPhone in really good nick with lots a accessories, anyway they sold it for ?200, got paid and sent the phone, happy days.

A week later the buyer opened a case saying that the screen was scratched as was the case and wanted their money back, so they sent it back to the seller and the seller had to refund the ?200.

Only problem was it was a different iPhone (same model) the buyer sent back and didn't return the charger and all the other bits and bobs.

eBay didn't want to know, so the result was the seller had lost a perfectly good phone and now had a dud which was worthless and the buyer got a good phone for free.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have had a couple of problems on Ebay, once the wrong item arrived but I sorted that with the seller without Ebay arbitration. I did have to repackage the thing which was a bit of a hassle but the seller paid postage which was fine. Another time I waited ages for something and had to have Ebay follow it up. The seller said he did not get a confirmation email from paypal so did not post the item which was nonsense and they were obviously at it as they didn't get the price they wanted.

That would be fun. :uhoh2:

Heard some horror stories over the years, smart phones seem to be a favourite con, not by the seller but the buyer.

One case I heard about was someone sold a perfectly good iPhone in really good nick with lots a accessories, anyway they sold it for ?200, got paid and sent the phone, happy days.

A week later the buyer opened a case saying that the screen was scratched as was the case and wanted their money back, so they sent it back to the seller and the seller had to refund the ?200.

Only problem was it was a different iPhone (same model) the buyer sent back and didn't return the charger and all the other bits and bobs.

eBay didn't want to know, so the result was the seller had lost a perfectly good phone and now had a dud which was worthless and the buyer got a good phone for free.

A lot of sellers of high marque watches go to the extent of security marking their watches, including the movements. It's been known for buyers to swap out the movements in watches as a scam.

I've had a guy try to scam me after selling a Breitling over two years after the sale. I've also had shady looking export agents buying items only available to UK buyers for the purpose of sending on abroad to their clients. If you read up about them you realise the delivery risk falls on them but the foreign buyer can still open a case against the UK seller based on condition / working order, etc. Just another risk of being scammed.

All roads lead to Gorgie

A lot of sellers of high marque watches go to the extent of security marking their watches, including the movements. It's been known for buyers to swap out the movements in watches as a scam.

I've had a guy try to scam me after selling a Breitling over two years after the sale. I've also had shady looking export agents buying items only available to UK buyers for the purpose of sending on abroad to their clients. If you read up about them you realise the delivery risk falls on them but the foreign buyer can still open a case against the UK seller based on condition / working order, etc. Just another risk of being scammed.

I did buy a watch from a UK based seller but his message after purchase was the watch was coming from eastern Europe and to be patient when it came to delivery time. I did smell a rat but the watch arrived quickly. However, it was a hotchpot of different parts as the face was vintage and the back modern. I didn't pay a huge amount for it and it works OK but it was not fully as described and what I thought was a British based seller seemed to be agent instead.

Jambo-Jimbo

I buy and sell a lot of things on eBay have done so for many years now and 99% of folks are honest but there's always some who are out to rip you off, one way or another.

Fortunately I haven't had many complaints, cases against me, item's going missing in the post etc, but I have had some, what really annoys me though is that many of the public seem to think that you as a seller still have control over the item after you've posted it, indeed eBay thinks this as well because of this stupid statement 'We guarantee you get your item or you get your money back', that is just a green light for scams.

Only ever have had 1 negative (off now) but a guy bought something from me, I gave him the tracking number etc and it went missing in the post, Royal Mail lost it, recorded delivery and they lost it, anyway he kicks up feck about it blaming me when he could clearly see that it was indeed posted etc etc etc, anyway I refunded his money straight away and he still left negative feedback 'Item not Received', but he failed to mention that I'd had refunded his money and that Royal Mail had lost the item. Some folks just can't wait to leave negative feedback it seems.  Anyway got my money back from Royal Mail eventually, but that wasn't the point, I was left with a negative for something which I had no control over. 

AlimOzturk

That would be fun. :uhoh2:

I would have travelled to the pricks door in all honesty.

my mrs account for ppal got frozen shes had to send in id for some weird reason its been working fine for like 4 months they are saying they will respond within 24 hrs

I was left a negative as the buyer said part of a pen was faulty, I sent another part along with a paid for "To Signed for" SAE for buyer to return, supposed faulty part and never heard from them again, or received part.

I sold a phone once.

Shorly after the auction ended, I got an email from the 'buyer' asking me to send the phone to her boyfriend in Nigeria, and she would give me ?50 more.

I then got an email from PayPal confirming the payment, which was ?50 more. It asked me to provide a delivery reference, so they could release the funds.

I forwarded it to PayPal. They, as expected, said it was not from them.

Fortunately I never sent the phone, so sold it to the second bidder, and I was still happy with what I got.

• 3 years later...
Салатные палочки

Anyone know how to deal with this one.  

I recently sold an item on ebay (signed 2007/08 home shirt).  £20 was the winning bid but I didn't receive payment for the item and despite two payment reminders and a direct message, I still didn't hear back from them or receive payment.  i have relisted the item but I can't seem to cancel the original order to avoid paying fees at the end of the month as I still have the shirt. Totally at a loss as to what to do.  

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I recently sold an item on ebay (signed 2007/08 home shirt).  £20 was the winning bid but I didn't receive payment for the item and despite two payment reminders and a direct message, I still didn't hear back from them or receive payment.  i have relisted the item but I can't seem to cancel the original order to avoid paying fees at the end of the month as I still have the shirt. Totally at a loss as to what to do.  

You should have opened an 'unpaid item' case against the winning bidder, then if they still didn't pay after at least 4 days after you've opened the case, you can then close the case and will receive a full refund of your fees or won't be charged them.

What I would do, is cancel the listing you have out now and then open up an 'unpaid item' case against the orginal bidder, that's probably the only way you'll get your fees back.  Then once that's all done, relist your item.

Салатные палочки
53 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You should have opened an 'unpaid item' case against the winning bidder, then if they still didn't pay after at least 4 days after you've opened the case, you can then close the case and will receive a full refund of your fees or won't be charged them.

What I would do, is cancel the listing you have out now and then open up an 'unpaid item' case against the orginal bidder, that's probably the only way you'll get your fees back.  Then once that's all done, relist your item.

Ah nice one. I cancelled the order, just used the "cancelled by buyer" option and they sent an email saying I'll be credited for the fees so sorted. Thanks 👍

51 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Ah nice one. I cancelled the order, just used the "cancelled by buyer" option and they sent an email saying I'll be credited for the fees so sorted. Thanks 👍

Result 👍

Had mixed dealings/experiences with ebay.. 

Sold and bought a few books in my early days using it, stopped that when I got robbed for £1.77. I'd sent the book, they rcvd it but didn't pay. 

Put my bike helmet (Dennis the Menace HJC, quality item, cost me £180 new.). Still boxed. I forgot to add a reserve and it went for £30. Emailed buyer said it was my mistake but it wouldn't be getting sent. He raised a complaint, like I'm gonna take a slap on the wrist from some faceless admin of ebay and thrn send it for £30! 😂😂 Told that to f off heard nothing else. 

Jan this year my account was hacked and some chunt bought a hideous pair of air Jordans for £189 of my credit card money. 

Ebay and cc company were excellent. Refunded within 4 days and account closed no bother. 

I won't bother with ebay again. 

Governor Tarkin
On 07/06/2017 at 08:23, Victorian said:

I worked with a guy who buys and sells rolexes on ebay. He's had all kinds of hassle. Was ready to travel the the Netherlands to sort some arsehole out at one point. 

Not insignificant sums of cash.

14 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Cancel item as said that happened to me with an item got it sorted fine then after a month decided to relist item sold this time but PayPal held payment due irregularities in process but I’d still to post the item which I wasn’t keen on but did got payed but couple weeks later.

On 06/06/2017 at 20:54, graygo said:

The seller can then claim against the carrier.

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

The seller can then claim against the carrier.

My post was 2 months ago, I think I was trying to have a thinly veiled dig at the SPFL over the "sent" Dundee vote.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

My post was 2 months ago, I think I was trying to have a thinly veiled dig at the SPFL over the "sent" Dundee vote.

Haha sorry bud. I'm half asleep at work with a smashed phone 😂

rudi must stay

Ebay has turned into a bad community since Lockdown. Before it was great, certainly in Britain. I've noticed a difference and now it's gone pretty much 50/50 good and bad. Hopefully it goes back to how it was. Worst of all barely any sales at the moment 

Sold my laddies Oculus Go for £95 the other day. Ended up paying about £10 in postage just to make sure there were no feck ups....insured and all that malarkey. 

Bought Modern Warfare a while back. No communication from seller at all....clearly a scammer in the end. EBay refunded me within 7 days ....although I always choose pay after delivery on PayPal so don't know if the funds actually ever left my account. 

This is the best method I reckon. Bought my laddie what I thought was an Infinity Gauntlet few years back....expecting the Legendary series type toy (or a decent copy) only to receive an Infinity Gauntlet rubber glove with poorly stuck on gems. Again....did pay after delivery so even though they claimed there was a misunderstanding and real toy would be sent soon i just cancelled....no money out of pocket.....and kept the rubber Gauntlet as wasn'tasked to return it....which incidentally my son loved playing with.

There's definitely a buy cheap buy twice about it with some products. I try not buy anything from folk who don't have a good sellers number history....more than 500 seems fair. Both my problems were with sub 100 sellers.

• 1 month later...

After weeks of harassing the seller with messages I finally got a refund for a window sign I was ment to get before the 15th of july. Kind of puts me off ordering from there again.

8 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

0-ACCAA93-46-E7-47-FB-A488-6-EFD660-B281
amazon delivery driver hiding a delivery so nobody will see it......good work...👌

Lucky you, they usually hide mines on my front door step🙄