' British ' World Cup bid ?

CJGJ

A British bid for the 2030 World Cup would be "strongly supported" and the tournament should not be sold to the country "who wants to pay the most", says Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

This week, Vivo became the third Chinese company to sponsor Fifa, with a suggestion China could bid for 2030.

But, with the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, that would go against the governing body's continental rotation policy.

Ceferin says rules "cannot change just because we have some big sponsors".

Speaking to BBC Sport in Cardiff before the Champions League final, he added: "It's simply time for us [Europe] to host the World Cup in 2030.

"I cannot say which country will place a bid from Europe, but we cannot just sell the World Cup to the ones who want to pay the most."

Asked about China's commercial grip on Fifa, Ceferin told BBC Sport: "I didn't want to speak just about China, but the most important thing is that the World Cup should go to the country that has the best bid."

Russia will host the next World Cup in 2018, making a European bid for the 2030 tournament viable.

Ceferin says an English or pan-British bid would be welcomed.

"It just has to be a decision not just of the FA, probably also the government and others too. But they deserve to have a World Cup in the near future," the head of European football's governing body said.

"They are capable of organising the World Cup, of that I'm sure. If they decide to go, we will strongly support them."

England does have a chance

But only if FIFA decides it wants it from top down

Previously English journalists have said no chance as they hate England.

Rick James

A British World Cup would be good, but surely they couldn't let 3-4 countries proceed straight to the tournament.

I say 3, because I don't really think NI could hold a World Cup fixture. RoI definitely could but that'd be off the cards.

Scotland could have 3-4 venues quite easily, Wales only one and the rest English.

I think a joint Scottish and English World Cup would probably work best.

vegas-voss

A British World Cup would be good, but surely they couldn't let 3-4 countries proceed straight to the tournament.

I say 3, because I don't really think NI could hold a World Cup fixture. RoI definitely could but that'd be off the cards.

Scotland could have 3-4 venues quite easily, Wales only one and the rest English.

I think any joint bid Scotland would get two Murrayfield and Hampden.Wales one the rest English.Semi final at Murrayfield(I think FIFA like it better) and Cardiff and final at Wembley.

hmfc_liam06

I think any joint bid Scotland would get two Murrayfield and Hampden.Wales one the rest English.Semi final at Murrayfield(I think FIFA like it better) and Cardiff and final at Wembley.

This makes the most sense.

Nelly Terraces

Sounds about right.

Same with France,  Holland and Belgium.  :unsure:

Rick James

Same with France, Holland and Belgium. :unsure:

What I meant was if it was a 'British' World Cup, RoI wouldn't have an interest in hosting games.

A scotland/england joint bid, Murrayfield, Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park, england providing the remaining 8(i think) venues.

It would be great, probably the only way we would experience a world cup with Scotland in it now.

With the increased number of countries attending future world cups, it makes sense to include all the British isles... With 3 grounds in Scotland, 2 In Ireland and of course Cardiff, all at over 50,000.....would give England the lions share....

Encouraging, seeing how well N Ireland and wales done last year...

What I meant was if it was a 'British' World Cup, RoI wouldn't have an interest in hosting games.

They are not part of the U.K., so tough, unless it was a U.K. and Ireland bid.

I was just messing mate but they would have as much right to be part of hosting a "British" world cup as those other countries.

There is no British in football. Oh aye UEFA and FIFA would love it as it would mean the end of Scotland Wales Northern Ireland & England. Oh yes England would love an all UK team that would have 10 English players plus 1 Welsh.

There is no British in football. Oh aye UEFA and FIFA would love it as it would mean the end of Scotland Wales Northern Ireland & England. Oh yes England would love an all UK team that would have 10 English players plus 1 Welsh.

I think when they say British, then mean a joint bid from nations in the U.K.

A scotland/england joint bid, Murrayfield, Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park, england providing the remaining 8(i think) venues.

It would be great, probably the only way we would experience a world cup with Scotland in it now.

Tynecastle could also hold some smaller games, as could Easter Road.

LarrysRightFoot

Aye cause they have forced Japan and Soith Korea to be one team.

There's an advantage in detoxifying the views around England.

A second World Cup in England makes a lot of sense. But perhaps unfairly FIFA and England have had a difficult relationship. Partly due to English based journalists exposing wrongdoing but also criticising eg Qatar.

It might help FIFA sell what would be a fantastic tournament that would have a lot of support and could be relied upon to be successful.

Nookie Bear

No chance.

The three Glasgow grounds and Murrayfield at a push are all that would be considered.

hmfc_liam06

Not a chance :lol:

vegas-voss

No chance.

The three Glasgow grounds and Murrayfield at a push are all that would be considered.

I don't think you should have two in the same City either

Not a chance :lol:

I said could, not would.

Well that's my defence.

On reality, I was thinking of a Scotland only bid when posting, which is probably even more ridiculous.

I don't think you should have two in the same City either

i dont know if it is still the same but the rules for bidding used to state no more than two stadia in one city. there was also a maximum number of cities with two stadia as well

i dont know if it is still the same but the rules for bidding used to state no more than two stadia in one city. there was also a maximum number of cities with two stadia as well

Another reason why the Scottish National Stadium should have been relocated from Glasgow.

frankblack

If its a joint bid I would be all for it. Lets face it, we have no chance of qualifying for any tournaments any time soon otherwise.

Cruyff Turn

Trying to include everyone

Group Games (*Some of the old groups being redeveloped)

White Hart Lane, Stamford Bridge (London)

St Mary's (Southampton)

Amex Stadium (Brighton)

Ashton Gate (Bristol)

*Portman Road (Ipswich)

Ricoh Arena (Coventry)

*Molineux (Birmingham)

King Power Stadium (Leicester)

*Britannia Stadium (Stoke)

Pride Park (Derbyshire)

Etihad (Manchester)

*Goodison(Liverpool)

*Hillsborough (Sheffield)

*Elland Road (Leeds)

Riverside (Middlesbrough)

Stadium of Light (Sunderland)

Cardiff City Stadium (Cardiff)

*New Casement Park Redevelopment? (Belfast)

Murrayfield (Edinburgh)

Ibrox (Glasgow)

Groups/Knock Out

Wembley, Emirates (London)

*Villa Park (Birmingham)

Old Trafford (Manchester)

Anfield (Liverpool)

St James Park (Newcastle)

Millennium Stadium (Cardiff)

Celtic Park (Glasgow)

Semi Finals

Wembley (London)

Millennium (Cardiff)

*New 65,000 Hampden Park (Glasgow) :lol:

Final

Wembley (London)

Trying to include everyone

Group Games (*Some of the old groups being redeveloped)

Semi Finals

Wembley (London)

Millennium (Cardiff)

*New 65,000 Hampden Park (Glasgow) :lol:

Final

Wembley (London)

You won't need 4 grounds for the semi finals.

PeterintheRain

Minimum 30,000 capacity for group matches. And 60,000 for semi-finals.   There's only Murrayfield and septic park could stage those games.  

Ibrahim Tall

Wales could have three pretty easily, the Millenium is already there and there are plans in place for Swansea and Cardiff City's ground to increase to 40-50,000 if required in the future.

The Natural Order

Why would England share a tournament? They have more than enough stadiums themselves.

Why would England share a tournament? They have more than enough stadiums themselves.

Yes

But they are toxic for FIFA just now

At best seen as the enemy at worst ignored

Nookie Bear

Surely the government would have to put in some funding and I couldn't see Sturgeon going for that, if it involves partnership with England and a Wembley final.

Surely the government would have to put in some funding and I couldn't see Sturgeon going for that, if it involves partnership with England and a Wembley final.

I try to keep politics and football separate but there would definitely be those using it as an excuse to bang the 'better together' drum

from that reason im out.

Can't see Scotland Wales Northern Ireland all getting byes into the WC Finals. So if 2 countries were to hold the WC who would be left out and who would decide. I'd bet it would be Wales & England that were chosen. Why ? Because it would be a stitch up.

The Natural Order

Yes

But they are toxic for FIFA just now

At best seen as the enemy at worst ignored

OK, I get that point but do people actually think the inclusion of Hampden, Murrayfield and The Principality Stadium would change that?

Can't see Scotland Wales Northern Ireland all getting byes into the WC Finals. So if 2 countries were to hold the WC who would be left out and who would decide. I'd bet it would be Wales & England that were chosen. Why ? Because it would be a stitch up.

Or because they are the better and higher ranked sides?

OK, I get that point but do people actually think the inclusion of Hampden, Murrayfield and The Principality Stadium would change that?

Yes fair point

But it wouldn't be the stadia it's the reputation and good standing of the other home nations

Bridge of Djoum

?

Archived