The neverending saga of Jamie Walker / no deal, he stays at Hearts (updated)

kila

The price we value him at will dictate whether he is sold or not

Precisely.

When your selling something you want to sell, you put a price on it. That's perfectly fair. If it doesn't sell you either have to re-evaluate your price or you keep it if its worth keeping.

We've obviously decided he is worth keeping. I imagine that means we think he will play a decent part for the next year. If we don't think that's happening, we've been utterly foolish. I don't believe for a minute we've decided to keep him and sit him in the stand.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but that's nonsense. Our 'assets' are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. What we think they are worth is irrelevant.

This is partly true but JW and his agent engineered a situation whereby they restricted the "market" for Jamie Walker to one club. Thus they took competition as regards market value out of the equation. Therefore JW didn't really have a market value. He had a value that was dictated by the single club that he was prepared to move to.

His value then becomes a two layered process. The club value him at ?1m but Sevco are only prepared to pay ?500k. At this point the club has to ask itself, do we get more value out of JW staying at Hearts for a season than selling him to a rival club at half of what we think a fair value in a competitive market would be.

It is not therefore irrelevant what Hearts think a player is worth as, as an asset, part of a player's value is what he brings to the team.

On form, JW could be win a cup final and/or get us one or two places higher up the league - there is value in that.

they didn't offer 50k, Jamie is in the last year of his contract if he goes he goes for nothing and to me that doesn't make sense, I don't want him to go to Rangers I would rather he moves down south he is to good for Rangers IMO

Have the red cross been in to see him?

Pray for Jamie.

#freewalker

This is partly true but JW and his agent engineered a situation whereby they restricted the "market" for Jamie Walker to one club. Thus they took competition as regards market value out of the equation. Therefore JW didn't really have a market value. He had a value that was dictated by the single club that he was prepared to move to.

His value then becomes a two layered process. The club value him at ?1m but Sevco are only prepared to pay ?500k. At this point the club has to ask itself, do we get more value out of JW staying at Hearts for a season than selling him to a rival club at half of what we think a fair value in a competitive market would be.

It is not therefore irrelevant what Hearts think a player is worth as, as an asset, part of a player's value is what he brings to the team.

On form, JW could be win a cup final and/or get us one or two places higher up the league - there is value in that.

I think we can all pretty much agree that Walkers agent is an erse and Jamie isn't the brightest lad so had to trust him.

oh my god are you serious with that quote ''us supporters are basically paying him a wage'' Every player in the UK HATES THIS STUPID QUOTE.You don't pay a players wage at all

Your a bit touchy on this thread you seem to take everything personal. Player perhaps?

Sorry I'll put it a different way so you understand. Hearts pay his wages and most of Hearts money is generated by supporters. Hope it clears that up.

Why not just let him get on with his football and see how it goes.

He is our player and if he plays the way he can he will be a huge asset to the team.

If he doesn't Levein will simply not play him.

Bored rigid with all the sevco chat now, season has started lets get behind all players that step onto the pitch in a maroon jersey including Jamie Walker.

maroonnicky63

Your a bit touchy on this thread you seem to take everything personal. Player perhaps?

Sorry I'll put it a different way so you understand. Hearts pay his wages and most of Hearts money is generated by supporters. Hope it clears that up.

Well it's no secret I am an ex player so don't get your point but still a hearts supporter and season ticket holder for many years but you explained it better that time

Well it's no secret I am an ex player so don't get your point but still a hearts supporter and season ticket holder for many years but you explained it better that time

Ive never really noticed that you are an ex player but let's hope that JW knuckles down and get on with what he does best as someone else pointed out on another thread there's an ex player, Internationalist who once famously called some players wage thiefs.

And he happens to be Hearts manager.

Who are you?

maroonnicky63

Ooh, Ooh,

Ooh, Ooh,

I really wanna know...

Ooh, Ooh,

Ooh, Ooh,

I really wanna know...

be careful mate that could be taken the wrong way all that ooh oohing

maroonnicky63

Mr Des Lynam. I was fairly popular on the TV in the 80's and 90's.

You go......

You go......

You go......

ahh good old Des

maroonnicky63

How you doing flipper?

oh you know ducking and diving , have you had the rat under your nose trimmed you can't see your lips move now ?

The Treasurer

You only have to consider one thing.

Is this player worth keeping at ?3/4k per week, or is he a busted flush who will be disruptive at worst and a waste of a wage at best and we'll get him off the wage bill and get a fee. If Sevco offered even ?50k and we seriously thought that Walker would be sitting in the stand all season on ?3/4k a week, FINANCIAL good sense dictates we should have taken it.

Of course you are speaking hypothetically about ?50k and it appears we were offered 10 times that.If he's an empty jersey now we should have taken it irrespective what we thought he was worth, because what we think he is worth is actually meaningless and clearly wrong if no-ones paying it

No offense, but you and others that are saying "anything is better than nothing" are totally missing the point.

If we gave in this time and accepted an offer way below our valuation, regardless of whether the player doesn't perform and then leaves at the end of his contract, it would mean in the future no-one would take us seriously as a selling club. They would just make a token offer, knowing that we we'd bend over and accept whatever crumbs they chuck at us.

If this means we've missed out on a few quid this time(don't forget they were offering it in instalments) then so be it.

No offense, but you and others that are saying "anything is better than nothing" are totally missing the point.

If we gave in this time and accepted an offer way below our valuation, regardless of whether the player doesn't perform and then leaves at the end of his contract, it would mean in the future no-one would take us seriously as a selling club. They would just make a token offer, knowing that we we'd bend over and accept whatever crumbs they chuck at us.

If this means we've missed out on a few quid this time(don't forget they were offering it in instalments) then so be it.

Its ridiculous folk aren't getting this. Short termism at its worst.

Have the red cross been in to see him?

Pray for Jamie.

#freewalker

Hearts are holding him against his will, holding him hostage,etc... Well in that case maybe our plan is for him to get Stockholm syndrome and reidentify himself as a Jambo

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sorry but thats shite. We seriously overvalued Walker at ?1million when he had a year left on his deal and at the same time we wanted to sell an unhappy player.

Each set if circumstances is different. If we've a player who is happy with us on a long deal and we get interest in him, what we did with Walker is a completely different case and would have no impact.

We were and still are in a weak position with Walker. On players where we are in a stronger position we've the right to expect the fee to be closer to a players worth.

This is a player with one year to go. An uncapped player with a history of injury and inconsistent form. ?500k was a decent offer and we should have taken it.

Im not sure how you know it was instalments but its hardly uncommon is it?

seriously ? '' yes'' Family member no , if I was I would come no where near a place like this where some fans just slate for the sake of it. Jamie may not have been playing at his best but there maybe other reason behind it that we don't know about. I said at the time it was madness to keep him against his will we should have took the money and moved on 500k or more for a club like Hearts who need the money was bonkers

They never offered ?500k up front, and if they did I imagine we would have taken it. We've been burned by Rangers before on deferred payment, no sense in offering them extended credit now.

Sorry but that's nonsense. Our 'assets' are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. What we think they are worth is irrelevant.

Incorrect. Walker has multiple values to the team. He could be sold for cash to Rangers, yes. He also can be sent onto the pitch to play football, something that if we sell him we can't do, and for the value Rangers offered we couldn't come close to replacing his productivity. Selling him at too low a price also decreases the value of future sales for us, which is value lost if we had taken their offer. Finally, although he wouldn't see much of the pitch, selling him to Rangers would inevitably strengthen them as a team, increasing the likelihood that they finish ahead of us, which has a value too.

Hearts played this exactly correctly IMO.

It's no secret that you SAY you are an ex player.

I don't believe the rest of your post either.

The way Levein was talking it sounds like he thought Rangers would come back in with a higher bid just before the window closed. A gamble that has back fired on the club.

Whatever you think, the fact that he is still at the club clearly confirms he was over valued as quite simply no one has bought him.

It is not a little hypocritical when I believe the club allegedly offered Motherwell ?50k for Cadden who on current form is a better player.

The way Levein was talking it sounds like he thought Rangers would come back in with a higher bid just before the window closed. A gamble that has back fired on the club.

Whatever you think, the fact that he is still at the club clearly confirms he was over valued as quite simply no one has bought him.

It is not a little hypocritical when I believe the club allegedly offered Motherwell ?50k for Cadden who on current form is a better player.

Not sure how you get that

Levein's comments suggest Rangers promised to Jamie they would sign him or at least that they rated him highly

They offered peanuts compared to what they spent elsewhere suggesting they didn't rate him highly compared say to Dorrans.

The way Levein was talking it sounds like he thought Rangers would come back in with a higher bid just before the window closed. A gamble that has back fired on the club.

It is not a little hypocritical when I believe the club allegedly offered Motherwell ?50k for Cadden who on current form is a better player.

Upside down thinking IMO.

Walker was clearly told by Rangers they would pay the asking price for him, then tried to low-ball the club with almost all the money in deferred payments.

I think we opened with a bid for Cadden which Motherwell knocked back. I firmly believe we had a verbal agreement with Well that if Rangers met the price for Walker that we'd turn a fair amount of the money around for Cadden. No sense in spending money we never got for a player we won't need because Walker stayed.

Agreed. Simplistic to say Walker is only worth what Rangers are prepared to pay. Things have a value to their owner for their utility and replacement cost and as you say a fit and on form Walker may be worth a lot to us.

Sorry but thats shite. We seriously overvalued Walker at ?1million when he had a year left on his deal and at the same time we wanted to sell an unhappy player.

Each set if circumstances is different. If we've a player who is happy with us on a long deal and we get interest in him, what we did with Walker is a completely different case and would have no impact.

We were and still are in a weak position with Walker. On players where we are in a stronger position we've the right to expect the fee to be closer to a players worth.

This is a player with one year to go. An uncapped player with a history of injury and inconsistent form. ?500k was a decent offer and we should have taken it.

We didn't overvalue him if it would cost us at least a million to replace him withsomeone of similar standard. It's Rangers who clearly undervalued him as they wanted him abd failed to get him.

The way Levein was talking it sounds like he thought Rangers would come back in with a higher bid just before the window closed. A gamble that has back fired on the club.

It is not a little hypocritical when I believe the club allegedly offered Motherwell ?50k for Cadden who on current form is a better player.

We offered 300 grand. Too much IMO.

maroonnicky63

It's no secret that you SAY you are an ex player.

I don't believe the rest of your post either.

oh my god you are the very last person I would worry about,I could not give a coos tit what you think mr negative , closet hibs fan you are

We didn't overvalue him if it would cost us at least a million to replace him withsomeone of similar standard. It's Rangers who clearly undervalued him as they wanted him abd failed to get him.

Your having a mare now mate. Just stop.

Walker was clearly told by Rangers they would pay the asking price for him, then tried to low-ball the club with almost all the money in deferred payments.

I think we opened with a bid for Cadden which Motherwell knocked back. I firmly believe we had a verbal agreement with Well that if Rangers met the price for Walker that we'd turn a fair amount of the money around for Cadden. No sense in spending money we never got for a player we won't need because Walker stayed.

Tonights fantastic story - Tommorows FACT.

oh my god you are the very last person I would worry about,I could not give a coos tit what you think mr negative , closet hibs fan you are

What team did you play for and when ?

Anyone could say they are a former player.

You are a wum .

Fxxx the SPFL

What team did you play for and when ?

Anyone could say they are a former player.

You are a wum .

John Colqhoun born 1963

i wish jj was my dad

Against his will :rofl:

On 3/4k a week :rofl:

I'm willing to be a hostage Hearts

Great post. 

Poor Jamie will be heading to the food bank shortly at this rate. 

i wish jj was my dad

Well that's nonsense.  How much would Rangers want for their top scorer and player of the year in the last year of his contract?

Fair enough that Jamie's form has been less than consistent (on fire then no trying a leg) but I doubt any hun would expect anybody on their team sheet to be worth less than a million.  

Clearly, Pedro doesn't think he merits a place on their team sheet. 

Well that's nonsense.  How much would Rangers want for their top scorer and player of the year in the last year of his contract?

I imagine they'd sell him for what another club was prepared to pay, or they'd keep him for the last year and get another good year out of him before Bosman kicks in depending on what they thought was in their best interests

Is this even difficult to understand ?

MacDonald Jardine

They never offered ?500k up front, and if they did I imagine we would have taken it. We've been burned by Rangers before on deferred payment, no sense in offering them extended credit now.

Incorrect. Walker has multiple values to the team. He could be sold for cash to Rangers, yes. He also can be sent onto the pitch to play football, something that if we sell him we can't do, and for the value Rangers offered we couldn't come close to replacing his productivity. Selling him at too low a price also decreases the value of future sales for us, which is value lost if we had taken their offer. Finally, although he wouldn't see much of the pitch, selling him to Rangers would inevitably strengthen them as a team, increasing the likelihood that they finish ahead of us, which has a value too.

Hearts played this exactly correctly IMO.

Have we been "burned" before?

My understanding is the new Rangers had to pay off the football debts.

We are still a football club.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MacDonald Jardine

Almost all of that is pure speculation on your part.

i wish jj was my dad

I imagine they'd sell him for what another club was prepared to pay, or they'd keep him for the last year and get another good year out of him before Bosman kicks in.

Is this even difficult to understand ?

If you are looking at it from the club's point of view Hearts think a switched on Walker is worth ?1m and won't be dicked around by a shower of charlatans who want to rip the piss out of us. That's what I understand 

They also expect Walker to behave like a professional and give 100%.  That's the risky part

MacDonald Jardine

It depends what We're replacing of course.

The JW of the last few months won't be difficult to replace.

MacDonald Jardine

If you are looking at it from the club's point of view Hearts think a switched on Walker is worth ?1m and won't be dicked around by a shower of charlatans who want to rip the piss out of us. That's what I understand

They also expect Walker to behave like a professional and give 100%. That's the risky part

I think we're playing it right but also think JW will be a waste of a jersey this year.

That says more about him though.

• davemclaren locked this topic

Archived