The neverending saga of Jamie Walker / no deal, he stays at Hearts (updated)

kila

Jamie knew rangers wanted him and I assume what they could offer before any bid was made. That's tapping up. The press is part of their MO.

As we don't generally pay for players or go after highly sought after players why would we need to tap up?

By that definition we probably tapped up Cadden then ?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly do not get this attitude of, "So what if Rangers tapped him up? We have done it in the past (although I cant actually name anyone."

Yes, it DOES matter and action should be taken against them. It wont be, though, as it never is.

We and other clubs don't tap up because we don't need to. We can't afford to pay the huge wages rangers use as a carrot and they go after players they know are worth a lot more than they want to offer, and they go after players they know will attract other buyers.

I can't think of a single signing we've made who has forced an exit from their club to join us rather than us just going in with an offer through the right channels.

The fact is

By that definition we probably tapped up Cadden then ?

Making a bid is not tapping up. Just read up on the tapping up by liverpool for the dutch former celtic defender. Thats what rangers have done with walker.

Correct. You're getting there. Just stretch a wee bit further.

Are you being deliberately stupid? Cadden did not know of our interest until the bid was made.

Are you being deliberately stupid? Cadden did not know of our interest until the bid was made.

You know that ?

You don't think we spoke to his agent, as we would be perfectly entitled to do, to get an indicator of interest ?

You know that ?

You don't think we spoke to his agent, as we would be perfectly entitled to do, and see if it was worth our while ?

That would be tapping up, so no. Unless you have evidence? Personally i don't see stories about cadden being unsettled or desperate to move to hearts and other clubs have been bidding for him too.

That's the difference. No idea why you can't see it. Closet bluenose perhaps? You wouldn't be the first on this forum.

That would be tapping up, so no. Unless you have evidence? Personally i don't see stories about cadden being unsettled or desperate to move to hearts and other clubs have been bidding for him too.

That's the difference. No idea why you can't see it. Closet bluenose perhaps? You wouldn't be the first on this forum.

Evidence of tapping up ? You first.

Your saying its 'tapping up' to have a conversation with a players agent now ?

You do realise thats the whole reson d'?tre for agents aye ?

Are you one of those fellers that still reads the papers and takes on every word  as gospel. 

Has Walker even commented one single word publicly about this whole issue?

Evidence of tapping up ? You first.

Are you one of those fellers that still reads the papers and takes on every word as gospel.

Just give it up man. The evidence is the whole situation, which mirrors the Dutch laddie at southampton although he eventially did hand in a transfer request i think.

Seriously why would any "PHM" go to such lengths to insist their own club is in the wrong without any evidence and when everyone and their dug knows how rangers go about signing scottish players.

And rangers new dif does have prior: http://www.andymuirhead.co.uk/incoming-rangers-director-football-quit-man-city-premier-league-probe/

Absolutely hilarious people are greeting about 'tapping up'. Its been going on for eons and will continue to do so and every club, certainly at SPL level is at it. Coaches have relationships with players from different clubs, players have relationships with former team mates at different clubs, agents have relationships with clubs, coaches and players etc etc etc. Everyone is at it constantly and if you don't believe that you are completely naive. Thankfully Craig Levein will definitely be tapping future players up if he remains in the role long enough, he knows how the game is played. 

Who cares if Rangers tapped him up, its all part of that game. Its a combination of Rangers not really rating him, his own sheer stupidity at the way he handled this and the fact he has a bawbag of an agent that it resulted in there being no satisfactory deal concluded. As I've said many times if Jamie Walker is as good as the Huns are looking to sign the we should be actively encouraging them as if we are run properly we should be able to compete with them on the field for the foreseeable. 

I expect Craig will be more forthright.

Challenging wrong doing when he sees it.

We're not even playing Rangers this weekend - that's still to come.

Nothing compared to what O'Halloran and Wright said about Rangers this week. But a few bad results adds to pressure there.

Just give it up man. The evidence is the whole situation, which mirrors the Dutch laddie at southampton although he eventially did hand in a transfer request i think.

Seriously why would any "PHM" go to such lengths to insist their own club is in the wrong without any evidence and when everyone and their dug knows how rangers go about signing scottish players.

And rangers new dif does have prior: http://www.andymuirhead.co.uk/incoming-rangers-director-football-quit-man-city-premier-league-probe/

Christ mate. Every club does it. Our agent speaks to the players agent before there is any official contact between clubs. You clearly haven't got a clue how the modern transfer system works in the background, and the function of the agents, so lets just leave it there.

Where in this did I say our club was wrong ? I said under your definition that we tapped Cadden. I don't think we did anything wrong and we didn't break any rules but your definition covers what we actually did.If you seriously believe we didn't have a conversation with his agent before we made a bid, your deluded.

Rangers are the second biggest club in the country, paying the second biggest wages and way in excess of what we can pay. Players at most other clubs want to go there and will go there given a sniff of a chance of doing so. Simple economics you'll have to learn to live with and get on with I'm afraid

Walker will be signing for them in January, I dont really see why this is still of a concern. People are actually making him out to be bigger than the club. Get someone in his position who is in it for the long run and get on with it.

maroonnicky63

Who did we tap up? If we did it, we would get hammered.

Rangers should be absolutely hammered for this.

Oh come on are you serious , it has gone on for ever for gods sake, players talk to players then a player approaches a manager and lets then know that they would be delight to join the club, Agents speak to Agents ect come on bowmans_boot I normally like your comments but this is so bonkers that you don't know this goes on because it has been for years even when I played and that was a long time ago believe me. Let me tell you the governing bodies know it goes on as well but the turn a blind eye.

Oh come on are you serious , it has gone on for ever for gods sake, players talk to players then a player approaches a manager and lets then know that they would be delight to join the club, Agents speak to Agents ect come on bowmans_boot I normally like your comments but this is so bonkers that you don't know this goes on because it has been for years even when I played and that was a long time ago believe me. Let me tell you the governing bodies know it goes on as well but the turn a blind eye.

I know it happens but when it is as clear, blatant and damaging (to both the club and player) as this, they should be hammered. 

maroonnicky63

Why are you so keen for Walker to leave Hearts? Are you actually a Hearts supporter?

Geoff, let me say something to you I want Walker to stay as I did Nicholson and McGee because there is still so much to come from those players once they reach there full potential but I am in the corner that if a player wants to go you are better of with out them as no player is bigger than the club.

I have supported Hearts for a long long time I love the club and I know I have a go at the booers on here and support the players rather than slate them and IMO we are by far the most loyal supporters in Scottish football and I am so proud as to were Hearts are today when you consider we were on our knees and it was the fans who brought us back up made us breath again. I will never join in slating any player no matter how poor they play especially the young ones because I truly believe that no professional player worth there salt would go out and not try. Hope that answers your question. cheers

maroonnicky63

Go on then name the player we've blatantly tapped up then? Walker just in my opinion should never play for our club again unless he signs a new deal.

oh come on do me a favour and grow up , Walker will play his heart out if he is picked for Hearts

Christ mate. Every club does it. Our agent speaks to the players agent before there is any official contact between clubs. You clearly haven't got a clue how the modern transfer system works in the background, and the function of the agents, so lets just leave it there.

Where in this did I say our club was wrong ? I said under your definition that we tapped Cadden. I don't think we did anything wrong and we didn't break any rules but your definition covers what we actually did.If you seriously believe we didn't have a conversation with his agent before we made a bid, your deluded.

Rangers are the second biggest club in the country, paying the second biggest wages and way in excess of what we can pay. Players at most other clubs want to go there and will go there given a sniff of a chance of doing so. Simple economics you'll have to learn to live with and get on with I'm afraid

There is zero comparison between the walker situation and our bids for cadden. Cadden may not even have wanted to join us. You only get to talk to the player after a bid is accepted.

Rangers knew walker wanted to come and he knew they wanted him which is why they underbid.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10920238/how-prevalent-is-tapping-up-in-football-transfers-today

Feel free to post an example of a player moving to Hearts that went the way the walker and rangers thing has played out. And you could substitute a host of other players for Walker.

oh come on do me a favour and grow up , Walker will play his heart out if he is picked for Hearts

We all know agents are employed by players to get the best deal for them and that will undoubtedly mean speaking to other clubs, but as someone already said the blatant manner this was done was out of order with no regard for a club he supposedly has an affinity for.

As for your comment regarding playing his heart out if picked your clearly a friend or family member as he's not played his heart out for a very long time.

Don't see the point in giving a player game time that has no commitment past January to our club.

And Grow up ???? Seriously

Should he not have been playing his heart out for the last eight months as well ?

BTW what team did you play for ?

Is that how you became a football agent ?

Not all that 'closet', either.  There's an awfy lot of anti-Hearts types on what's supposed to be a Hearts forum.

You have a lot more confidence in that than I.

Sevco lied and misled Jamie. No surprise in that at all. They, Rangers, both versions, are despicable welts.

Nothing much has changed. They still use the media to do all their tapping up for them. Quick call to their wee lap dug Keith Jackson and it's all over the paper.

Walker said agent can speak to whoever he wants about his clients and it's not tapping up. When a player is offered a new contract and he asks his agent if there's interested clubs with better offers how do you think they get the information?

That is tapping up! He is employed by the player.

Not all that 'closet', either.  There's an awfy lot of anti-Hearts types on what's supposed to be a Hearts forum.

It does feel like an anti-Hearts forum a lot of the time. You'd expect to have to defend your club on other teams' forums, but not your own

maroonnicky63

Should he not have been playing his heart out for the last eight months as well ?

BTW what team did you play for ?

Is that how you became a football agent ?

eight months ???????? what have you be watching , football agent , ok then

maroonnicky63

We all know agents are employed by players to get the best deal for them and that will undoubtedly mean speaking to other clubs, but as someone already said the blatant manner this was done was out of order with no regard for a club he supposedly has an affinity for.

As for your comment regarding playing his heart out if picked your clearly a friend or family member as he's not played his heart out for a very long time.

Don't see the point in giving a player game time that has no commitment past January to our club.

And Grow up ???? Seriously

seriously ? '' yes'' Family member no , if I was I would come no where near a place like this where some fans just slate for the sake of it. Jamie may not have been playing at his best but there maybe other reason behind it that we don't know about. I said at the time it was madness to keep him against his will we should have took the money and moved on 500k or more for a club like Hearts who need the money was bonkers

seriously ? '' yes'' Family member no , if I was I would come no where near a place like this where some fans just slate for the sake of it. Jamie may not have been playing at his best but there maybe other reason behind it that we don't know about. I said at the time it was madness to keep him against his will we should have took the money and moved on 500k or more for a club like Hearts who need the money was bonkers

Against his will :rofl:

On 3/4k a week :rofl:

I'm willing to be a hostage Hearts

kingantti1874

Not madness.. Now our players, Rangers and every other club trying to buy our players will know that when we quote a price.. We mean it.. Pay up or **** off..

Long term.. It's the correct call..

Against his will? He's a player contracted to Hearts until the end of this season. A contract he signed and is getting paid good money to perform and act properly for. He needs to get his head round the fact that he's been shafted by Sevco who obviously don't rate him as highly as Hearts do. He and his agent backed him I into this corner. I hope he wakens up and smells the coffee. He needs to start performing at the level we know he can while he is on our books and picking up a wage here. What he does after his contract finishes quite frankly does not interest me one bit now. That's entirely up to him.

Not slating JW for the sake of it, just think we should not play a player who has no interest in playing for our club as us supporters are basically paying him a wage. I'm also glad Hearts didn't just fold to Rangers and hand them a player we've developed into a good player for less than market value. But when he eventually gets away from being kept against his will you can toddle off over to Bears Den and see how they react if he doesn't come up to scratch.

Not slating JW for the sake of it, just think we should not play a player who has no interest in playing for our club as us supporters are basically paying him a wage. I'm also glad Hearts didn't just fold to Rangers and hand them a player we've developed into a good player for less than market value. But when he eventually gets away from being kept against his will you can toddle off over to Bears Den and see how they react if he doesn't come up to scratch.

So, not only are you happy for us to pass up on a fee for him (this player who doesnt want to be here but has publicly said no such thing) in fact you think its a great show of strength which will stand us in good stead for many years to come, you want him to sit in the stand for 3/4k a week for a year (another ?170k or so wasted). Bit of a pricey way to prove a point isn't it ?

You want to keep this very good player but you don't want him to play. All due respect but that's utter stupidity and luckily Craig Levein doesn't have that level of stupidity and will be desperate for Walker to play and make an impact.

Anyway its a moot point, Jamie Walker, our best player last season by a distance, will be playing this year and very probably he'll be our best player this year, despite those who want him severely punished for what amounts to little more than him looking after his future career, as have many previous very good Hearts players.

So, not only are you happy for us to pass up on a fee for him (this player who doesnt want to be here but has publicly said no such thing) in fact you think its a great show of strength which will stand us in good stead for many years to come, you want him to sit in the stand for 3/4k a week for a year (another ?170k or so wasted). Bit of a pricey way to prove a point isn't it ?

You want to keep this very good player but you don't want him to play. All due respect but that's utter stupidity and luckily Craig Levein doesn't have that level of stupidity and will be desperate for Walker to play and make an impact.

Anyway its a moot point, Jamie Walker, our best player last season by a distance, will be playing this year and very probably he'll be our best player this year, despite those who want him severely punished for what amounts to little more than him looking after his future career, as have many previous very good Hearts players.

Agree completely. Season starts tomorrow for certain people including Walker and Levein. They all have to earn their wages and try to turn things around working together.

So, not only are you happy for us to pass up on a fee for him (this player who doesnt want to be here but has publicly said no such thing)

I was responding to a poster who stated he is being kept against his will.

in fact you think its a great show of strength which will stand us in good stead for many years to come, you want him to sit in the stand for 3/4k a week for a year (another ?170k or so wasted). Bit of a pricey way to prove a point isn't it ?

You must be happy selling our players to a rival club for well under the market value on the never never, my opinion differs from yourself.

You want to keep this very good player but you don't want him to play.

I said we developed him into a good ( not very good) player.

All due respect but that's utter stupidity and luckily Craig Levein doesn't have that level of stupidity and will be desperate for Walker to play and make an impact.

Everybody has their own opinions but unlike yourself I've no interest in watching a player who seemed to go missing for a large part of last season after he renaged on the contract Hearts offered him, ( the same applies to Djoum) . I would be delighted to see Walker sign an extension with a release clause, knuckle down and get back to playing like we all know he can. Then if a club offer the market value for him I'd wish him all the best.

The club is bigger than any player and hope that if he does play he performs.

Never want to see the wee rat in a Hearts jersey again.

He's well and truly nailed his colours to the mask.

Would much rather see a youngster given a chance now.

He will need to give 100% every game for Hearts,or he will be sitting it out.We want players who are hungry for success.

I am sure Levein, will not tolerate anything less.

Mask?

The Treasurer

So if sevco had offered only ?50k would it still be "madness to keep him against his will"

Sevco wanted to buy, they were quoted a fair price, for whatever reason they chose not to meet that price.

So if sevco had offered only ?50k would it still be "madness to keep him against his will"

Sevco wanted to buy, they were quoted a fair price, for whatever reason they chose not to meet that price.

Indeed.

We are a selling club and always will be.

But, If we start selling our assets below what we currently value them at.  We will always be seen as a soft touch.  

Fast forward 2 years.  Let's say Brandon or Cochrane come on tons, and are looking like great players.  They only have one year left on their contracts and are getting interest from other teams.  We say 2m if you want to buy them.   Why would anyone take our statement seriously?

Now everyone knows if we say X amount, we mean X amount, or very close to it.

Basic business dealings ffs.

Let's see you go into Richer Sounds and try and get a ?1500 TV for ?100.  They would quite rightly tell you to **** off.

maroonnicky63

they didn't offer 50k, Jamie is in the last year of his contract if he goes he goes for nothing and to me that doesn't make sense, I don't want him to go to Rangers I would rather he moves down south he is to good for Rangers IMO

You only have to consider one thing.

Is this player worth keeping at ?3/4k per week, or is he a busted flush who will be disruptive at worst and a waste of a wage at best and we'll get him off the wage bill and get a fee. If Sevco offered even ?50k and we seriously thought that Walker would be sitting in the stand all season on ?3/4k a week, FINANCIAL good sense dictates we should have taken it.

Of course you are speaking hypothetically about ?50k and it appears we were offered 10 times that.If he's an empty jersey now we should have taken it irrespective what we thought he was worth, because what we think he is worth is actually meaningless and clearly wrong if no-ones paying it

Indeed.

We are a selling club and always will be.

But, If we start selling our assets below what we currently value them at.  We will always be seen as a soft touch.  

Sorry but that's nonsense. Our 'assets' are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. What we think they are worth is irrelevant.

maroonnicky63

You are like so many on here. If Jamie turns it around you will be on here saying how wonderful he is .He has been badly advised thats all he will come good

maroonnicky63

Sorry but that's nonsense. Our 'assets' are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. What we think they are worth is irrelevant.

woe never thought I would agree with you but spot on

woe never thought I would agree with you but spot on

Oh great. Ive been waiting months for you to agree with me :rolleyes5: That's that box finally ticked. Just Everest and the 3some with Kylie to go

kingantti1874

The price we value him at will dictate whether he is sold or not. We obviously determined that the bid was below what he can offer to us this season.. For example if we thought he could help us achieve a higher league position or a cup run then this has monetary value..

There is also a principle which needs set.. In that we will hopefully not have to deal with ridiculous bids in future..

maroonnicky63

oh my god are you serious with that quote ''us supporters are basically paying him a wage'' Every player in the UK HATES THIS STUPID QUOTE.You don't pay a players wage at all

• davemclaren locked this topic

Archived