The neverending saga of Jamie Walker / no deal, he stays at Hearts (updated)

kila

Walker appears to be working his ticket, but on the flip side have we picked up players from other sides in a similar way?

I suppose my point is that in modern football it's swings and roundabouts.

In respect of Walker though, we are hardly knocking back offers with a shitty stick!

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't mind him going tbh although I personally do rate him as a player and yes if there's a job for more money then I would leave my job, but 1 his attitude since this came about has been very unprofessional and childish, secondly as a fellow hearts fan I thought we should have had more respect from him i.e. Not trying in games etc.

Also is selling to rangers goes back into old ways where they take the piss and think they can take what ever they like.tell them to get to and sell him else where

Rocky jamboa

It's not the end of the world if we lose walker for nothing next season. Look how many players we have signed for free - berra, sow, djoum, lafferty etc. We got ?1m for sow, which cancels out any loss we make on walker.

If we lose one for nothing, we'll still have won more than we've lost, and we send out a message to players and other clubs that we wont be mucked about.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

It's also sad that some people think you can just say "got to do what's best for family eh" and it absolves you of any responsibility for any sort of shady conduct. Like some sort of one size fits all get out of jail free card type thing.

He's playing for one of the country's biggest clubs. He's paid well, they even offered to pay him more. He's been nurtured and developed from a kid with talent into a first team regular and someone with a chance of playing for his country at some point. Kids get his name on their shirts. They queue to speak to him. Supporters sing his name. Just grow up, get a backbone, stop letting your agent agitate via the media and erode any goodwill you built up, and do the right bloody thing, Jamie. You're hardly being sent down the salt mines every day ffs.

a player who has more than earned his money here

a player who has a potential recurring injury which could limit his career and also shorten it

but he's expected to not try and cash in (before it might be too late in his case) because a few folk sang his name and some kids got his name on their shirt

:lol:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

******* wee rat.

all his past efforts and goals forgotten about over a short period when the club has been in turmoil

I can see why he'd find it so difficult to leave

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

We need players in ASAP. If selling Walker to Rangers funds that then so be it, as unpalatable as that may be. Not strengthening the team right now would be a disaster.

agreed

due to our recent ****-ups we're not in a position to hardball rangers when it's also potentially harming us

get something spend it wisely and it will become more palatable

Son Of Anarchy

all his past efforts and goals forgotten about over a short period when the club has been in turmoil

Tough. Fickle fans and all that. Ive backed him until recently. Now, **** him.

We should take anything now, he's worth nothing to us for the rest of the season in his present state.

Principle at stake here.

Bazzas right boot

Your recurring "fill the corners in" banter is honking! Give it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honking is a bit strong.

If we are getting an imaginary development fee, it's only right it's spent on inaginery things.

i wish jj was my dad

a player who has a potential recurring injury which could limit his career and also shorten it

but he's expected to not try and cash in (before it might be too late in his case) because a few folk sang his name and some kids got his name on their shirt

I don't mind the laddie making a few bob for himself but I do mind him not bothering his arse while taking a wage from the club. He's shown little if any appetite to earn his corn since he took the huns apart.

I've never viewed a player so differently as Jamie in my life.  I genuinely believed him to be on of our own and would have wished him all the best like CP if he had earned  a lucrative move.  Now I'd gladly see him carrying hampers for the rest of the season.  Still time to turn it around.  Stevo and Webster both redeemed themselves by getting the heid doon and arse up.  I'd like to think Jamie would have the minerals to do the same but I'm no seeing any signs.

i wish jj was my dad

The club is not in turmoil. Stop making things up.

It's not the end of the world if we lose walker for nothing next season. Look how many players we have signed for free - berra, sow, djoum, lafferty etc. We got ?1m for sow, which cancels out any loss we make on walker.

If we lose one for nothing, we'll still have won more than we've lost, and we send out a message to players and other clubs that we wont be mucked about.

It's not so much about money for me, just selling a player who I know has quality and will no doubt turn it on against us is a negative from me.

I agree. If he can convince Levein he's committed for a season I'd rather keep him than take 500 grand or whatever in instalments which is what it sounds like they are offering. Him going would strengthen Rangers and weaken us considerably at a time when we can't afford that.

Fozzyonthefence

**** Sevco and **** Jamie Walker. The club needs to take a stand here. If they sell for less than ?1m now it makes them look weak.

SSN reporting Sevco yet to make a new bid and wont match asking price so not sure why they're even reporting non news. I reckon they'll come in with a reduced offer maybe up front this time or just wait til January to sign on pre contract (or is it only non Scottish teams that can do that?).

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

The club is not in turmoil. Stop making things up.

I stand corrected I meant the first team

Sell him for 600k to rangers now and we lose a player that can't be bothered playing for us and he plays against us 3 times (assuming he gets his game for rangers)

Sell him to rangers next year for ?0 and keep a player that's not going to try a leg for us for a year.

Tough choice.

Fill in one corner.

When we get a development fee for prince we can fill in Another.

Good plan. Budge and Levein development fees should cover the last 2.

Sell him for 600k to rangers now and we lose a player that can't be bothered playing for us and he plays against us 3 times (assuming he gets his game for rangers)

Sell him to rangers next year for ?0 and keep a player that's not going to try a leg for us for a year.

Tough choice.

It's no surprise some of our fans are happy to strengthen Rangers!

If this is turmoil what the hell was the 10 years between 2004 and 2014 or so! Or half of the 80s!

Bazzas right boot

Tbf, anything around ?600k and we should sell.

We should really be asking for o'halloran and maybe ?200-?400k. He hasn't got a future there and gives u what we're missing plus some cash.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I don't mind the laddie making a few bob for himself but I do mind him not bothering his arse while taking a wage from the club. He's shown little if any appetite to earn his corn since he took the huns apart.

I've never viewed a player so differently as Jamie in my life.  I genuinely believed him to be on of our own and would have wished him all the best like CP if he had earned  a lucrative move.  Now I'd gladly see him carrying hampers for the rest of the season.  Still time to turn it around.  Stevo and Webster both redeemed themselves by getting the heid doon and arse up.  I'd like to think Jamie would have the minerals to do the same but I'm no seeing any signs.

you believe he's not been trying - no doubt plenty others agree

the first team has been in turmoil hardly anyone has performed consistently over the period yet the experts who probably only see him at tynecastle can judge that he's not trying

heavily criticised for his ****-up on Saturday no much praise for his run and shot probably for those who saw the highlights

he hasn't played well he hasn't been the guy to drag others through it but just saying he hasn't been trying or words to that effect is in fact making things up

I don't think it will strengthen rangers, so yea I would be happy to see him go.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

If this is turmoil what the hell was the 10 years between 2004 and 2014 or so! Or half of the 80s!

turmoil too? (although wasnt 1982 onwards pretty good in that decade with some obvious major disappointments obviously?)

how would you describe cathros reign on the first team? obviously not quite turmoil by the sounds of it

a shambles maybe?

a justified high-risk potentially high-return appointment which failed spectacularly?

Why can't he cash in when the time is either mutually acceptable or when he reaches the end of his contract? As it should be, or as it's supposed to be anyway.

He's shirking his end of the deal. It's a two way thing.

i wish jj was my dad

We've picked up 4 points from 4 away fixtures at places we generally get our arse felt, including trips to both sets of bigots, with an interim coach in the dugout.  We've definitely experienced a helluva lot worse than that in my time and the not so distant past. 

Look at the bigger picture though.  Yes, Cathro was a disaster but one I and most people on here thought was worth the risk.  But he's gone now and we've taken our time to decide what to do nest.  After our first choice decided to join an EPL club we've assessed our options and appointed an experienced ex international coach as manager who has a more than decent track record at the club from his previous stint.  As safe a pair of hands as we could get I'd wager.  We've signed a current Scottish international and the country's best centre half as our captain.   Personally, I think he is arguably the best signing we've made in the last ten years.  We've also signed two current NI internationalists at the peak of their career and one of them could probably earn 3 or 4 x what we are paying given his pedigree.  No matter how much the haters tell me otherwise, I don't feel any turmoil. I'm actually right up for it.  Whether Jamie is or not is down to him  If he's not, he can clean the toilets for all I care.

Anyway, comparing this to last 45 years or so you really think we are in turmoil?

We've picked up 4 points from 4 away fixtures at places we generally get our arse felt, including trips to both sets of bigots, with an interim coach in the dugout.  We've definitely experienced a helluva lot worse than that in my time and the not so distant past. 

Look at the bigger picture though.  Yes, Cathro was a disaster but one I and most people on here thought was worth the risk.  But he's gone now and we've taken our time to decide what to do nest.  After our first choice decided to join an EPL club we've assessed our options and appointed an experienced ex international coach as manager who has a more than decent track record at the club from his previous stint.  As safe a pair of hands as we could get I'd wager.  We've signed a current Scottish international and the country's best centre half as our captain.   Personally, I think he is arguably the best signing we've made in the last ten years.  We've also signed two current NI internationalists at the peak of their career and one of them could probably earn 3 or 4 x what we are paying given his pedigree.  No matter how much the haters tell me otherwise, I don't feel any turmoil. I'm actually right up for it.  Whether Jamie is or not is down to him  If he's not, he can clean the toilets for all I care.

Anyway, comparing this to last 45 years or so you really think we are in turmoil?

On ra munney!!!

Tough choice.

According to the press, half of that ?600k is in add-ons!

Stuff it!

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Why can't he cash in when the time is either mutually acceptable or when he reaches the end of his contract? As it should be, or as it's supposed to be anyway.

He's shirking his end of the deal. It's a two way thing.

maybe as it should be

in reality plenty folk (maybe even you) would weigh up the benefit to themselves and their family against what they would prefer to do in a perfect world

as shown above by one of the self-confessed "fickle fans" when push comes to shove idolise or criticise a player might be a big deal to the fan but to the player it's no more than a nice to have or occupational hazard in the bigger scheme of things like providing for themselves and their family

Hearts First

How very original. Yaaaaaawwwnnnn.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I'm assuming you are connected to the club as you appear to be stating as a fact that our first choice has joined an epl club? I certainly haven't seen it confirmed anywhere

Jon daly has done well and deserves praise - were you at the games tho? it's difficult not to be happy with the point at rangers but they really were dire

anyway the main period being referred to was from the Rangers 4-1 game . most of that was under cathros reign and in your words was a disaster - so you're judging a player very strongly on a period you have just described as a disaster. that kind of has some flaws in it

for me

I thought Cathro was worth the risk - it didn't pay off

I'm happy with levein as manager

I'm happy with most of the recent signings - hopefully get 2-3 more (funded by Jamie's transfer fee if need be)

I was stood corrected and revised the statement to the first team was in turmoil for the bulk of period in question - you described the same period as a disaster

If they don't up their bid massively then keep him. I think he's mainly suffered from the team being terrible rather than lack of effort. Saturday he was a mixed bag but still probably our most dangerous player. Made a mistake at the goal obviously.

If we do keep him then I don't think at all he'd just down tools. Who would be interested in signing him if he did given his poor end to last season. We'd lose money probably but we can't sign a player of his ability for 300k.

It's whether we strengthen Rangers now for something we can put to use or strengthen them in 11 months time for nothing and lose x thousand paying him for next 11 months to either train with the 20s or get splinters in his arse from sitting on the bench.

There should only be one choice in the matter

I genuinely don't think JW will do much for Rangers- he doesn't have the mentality.

Not a sour grapes comment - just not seen a strength of mentality from him in 4 years.

Flickers of skill, the occasional game where he is a match winner, but other than that no game in game out influence.

"Strengthen Rangers". The guys barely kicked a ball in 2017, has suspect injury issues and has shown zero respect for Hearts or the club. Rangers will quickly discover he's like a wee laddie in any big match and certainly a complete ghost v Celtic. He won't close the gap one iota on Celtic and will quickly be a squad player for the Hun.

"Strengthen Rangers". The guys barely kicked a ball in 2017, has suspect injury issues and has shown zero respect for Hearts or the club. Rangers will quickly discover he's like a wee laddie in any big match and certainly a complete ghost v Celtic. He won't close the gap one iota on Celtic and will quickly be a squad player for the Hun.

Correct

Squad as in bench / in the stands player

i wish jj was my dad

I'm assuming you are connected to the club as you appear to be stating as a fact that our first choice has joined an epl club? I certainly haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.  No i'm not.  I can't claim it as fact but   it's not a huge leap.  I'm happy for you to treat it as speculation if that would make you feel better.

Jon daly has done well and deserves praise - were you at the games tho? it's difficult not to be happy with the point at rangers but they really were dire  Wasn't at either OF games and I know Rangers are dire. It boils my pish that we aren't wiping the floor with them but I'm not going to have a go at Daly for that.

anyway the main period being referred to was from the Rangers 4-1 game . most of that was under cathros reign and in your words was a disaster - so you're judging a player very strongly on a period you have just described as a disaster. that kind of has some flaws in it.  He'sarguably the best signing we've made in the last ten years I agree Cathro was a disaster and as much as I desperately wanted him to succeed I had a horrible feeling at Starks Park and it never quite went away.  On balance I think the club was right to give him time but hindsight will probably prove otherwise.  I really wanted to break the mould but my instinct is to be pragmatic and maybe that;s what we need right now.  On Jamie, I don;t have much sympathy.  As much as I never got above amateur I worked with coaches who were out of their depth and some I couldn't stand but I never gave less than 100%. I don't believe Jamie can honestly say the same.  I also coached and I'm sure some of the guys I coached felt I was crap but I still felt entitled to expect 100% 

for me

I thought Cathro was worth the risk - it didn't pay off  Agree

I'm happy with levein as manager. Agree

I'm happy with most of the recent signings - hopefully get 2-3 more (funded by Jamie's transfer fee if need be) Would suit me fine but I'd rather take the hit than let the huns think they can get our players on the cheap if all they had to do is turn an immature laddie's heid. 

I was stood corrected and revised the statement to the first team was in turmoil for the bulk of period in question - you described the same period as a disaster .   No I didn't.  I felt that this era doesn;t in any way compare with turmoil we've experienced in the last 45 years.   Hagart, Paton. Ormond, Tony Ford, players about to go on strike at Cappiellow, Kenny Waugh, unable to get out of Div 1, yo yo years, crawford boyd, alfie Conn, peter marinello, chucking a 2-1 lead away to lose 5-2  at home to  Dumbarton,  5-2 , losing to Forfar at home in the big cup, being unable to pay Dundee Utd, Andy Watson, player revolt under Jordan, 6-0 at Brockville, two seasons where relegation was avoided on don last day, McLean, another player revolt, captain smacking centre half in friendly, Robinson v JJ, SMG, ?20m+debt, selling players like Naysmith, Niemi and Cameron for a fraction of their value, Murrayfield, Cala holmes, best chance of winning the league in 40 odd years getting blown, coaches not picking the team, vlad flu, Rix, Malofeev, Riccarton 3, Shaggy, Nade the only striker, Witeveen, Obua, Kurskis, Barassa, Kucharski, players not being paid, McGlynn, players not being paid again, fire sale, Lockie, losing to St Liedown, ICT at Fester, admin, points deduction

I've commented on your various points but how does that look for real turmoil over the last 45 years, bud?  Just off the top of my head with no silly smiley either.

Clark Griswold

Glad this will be sorted tomorrow - either we keep him until at least Jan or he's punted. This has been done to death!

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I've commented on your various points but how does that look for real turmoil over the last 45 years, bud?  Just off the top of my head with no silly smiley either.

you did describe the Cathro reign as a disaster - it is written here on the Internet

you pulled me up for my loose language when I referred to the club as in turmoil rather than the first team - I was adult enough to accept this which meant we were therefore referring to the first team which makes a ton of the historical stuff you have written true but irrelevant

you were quick to have a go at me 'for making things up' (subsequently clarified by my tightening up the language used) and then proceeded to make a bunch of stuff up yourself the latest admission being that you're assuming that freedman was lined up rather than he was lined up - not to mention your remote psycho-analysis of Jamie walker during a period which you described as a "disaster" when in reality you have a best-guess about whether he was trying or not - others disagree including me

I've experienced a lot of those historical turmoily periods too - with levein back in the dugout and the apparent healthy condition of the youth set-up and club in general hopefully the difference is that cathros "disaster" can be quickly remedied rather drag on like some of those other dark days you described (some good days in there too)

Glad this will be sorted tomorrow - either we keep him until at least Jan or he's punted. This has been done to death!

Amen brother.

i wish jj was my dad

you did describe the Cathro reign as a disaster - it is written here on the Internet

you pulled me up for my loose language when I referred to the club as in turmoil rather than the first team - I was adult enough to accept this which meant we were therefore referring to the first team which makes a ton of the historical stuff you have written true but irrelevant

you were quick to have a go at me 'for making things up' (subsequently clarified by my tightening up the language used) and then proceeded to make a bunch of stuff up yourself the latest admission being that you're assuming that freedman was lined up rather than he was lined up - not to mention your remote psycho-analysis of Jamie walker during a period which you described as a "disaster" when in reality you have a best-guess about whether he was trying or not - others disagree including me

I've experienced a lot of those historical turmoily periods too - with levein back in the dugout and the apparent healthy condition of the youth set-up and club in general hopefully the difference is that cathros "disaster" can be quickly remedied rather drag on like some of those other dark days you described (some good days in there too)

If you can't see the difference between six/eight months of a wrong appointment which is now as you say being remedied and what were genuinely horrible days when we were in proper turmoil then I don't know what to do to change your mindset. I'm feeling upbeat. If you think we are in turmoil I'll let you try and get over it in your own time.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

If you can't see the difference between six/eight months of a wrong appointment which is now as you say being remedied and what were genuinely horrible days when we were in proper turmoil then I don't know what to do to change your mindset. I'm feeling upbeat. If you think we are in turmoil I'll let you try and get over it in your own time.

you are making things up again

I referred to a past period and also clarified it as being the first team - you agreed using "disaster" to be exact

it really shouldn't be that difficult to have a closer reflection on your own posts - even I managed it :lol:

more cautiously optimistic here

We_are_the_Hearts

Apparently his sister(?) having a right go at hearts fans on twitter!

:wow:

His sister comes across as a right classy charmer!!

His sister comes across as a right classy charmer!!

Not saying she's right, but can't be easy watching folk make some of the comments they have about her family, seen folk say they wish he'd die etc on twitter.  Especially as whether we like it or not there are two sides to every story.  

Will be glad to get some closure on this one way or another today, if he goes hopefully we get decent money, if he stays it's down to Levein and Walker to get him back performing at the levels he's capable of without any distractions.

Nothing has changed from Hearts point of view, it's pretty simple stuff. We have a player that doesn't want to be here and a player we are willing to sell. Unless I have missed some big news at Rangers, nothing has changed with them. I don't see us lowering our valuation, I don't see us accepting low range instalment payments that add up to the figure we want. Hearts have made this very easy for Rangers, they can't afford him but can't be seen to acknowledge this for fear their fans will revolt, we are the people and all that.

This instalments stuff is a nonsense. Does anyone have intimate knowledge of how the average transfer fee is settled? Some appear to wish to have intimate knowledge of the clubs operational cash flow

The reality is that most of not all transfer fees will be paid in installments. Clubs in Scotland in particular simply won't have the Financial wherewithal to settle such transactions in full at the outset.

There is some real puffed out chest pish spouted on here. Whether we like it or not, Hearts are going to have to work with Rangers to get a deal agreed here for a guy desperate to leave this club.

Getting worked up about how the transfer fee is actually physically paid borders on hysteria

• davemclaren locked this topic

Archived