'ART' .. for want of a better word..no wonder many shake their heads

CJGJ

Pretentious claptrap from those involved

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40041603

An empty gallery has been unveiled as the latest work by an artist who "cancelled" her exhibition at one of Glasgow's leading venues.

Marlie Mul asked for no exhibition to be held in the Gallery of Modern Art.

All that will be visible in the gallery are billboards advertising that the exhibition has been cancelled.

People are being invited to "visit and interact with the space" - and suggest alternative uses for the gallery during the five months set aside for the show.

Gallery 1 at Goma will lie empty from Friday until the end of October.

Visitors will instead be greeted by 21 billboards advertising the cancellation of the exhibition by the Dutch artist.

'Amazing opportunity'

Goma said Mul's "conceptual gesture" was to act as an "implicit critique of what is displayed within museums and galleries".

It said that by removing traditional content and opening the space for public use, Mul was "augmenting the institution to question the relevance of an art exhibition in 2017".

Goma curator Will Cooper said the cancellation was an "amazing opportunity".

He said: "By removing what would traditionally be considered an art object we are instead presenting the gallery as an empty space, giving us a moment to question the value in turning over exhibition after exhibition after exhibition."

Carpet bowls

He added: "We're excited by the different types of activities that might be on offer during this cancelled show.

"So far, it's looking like we'll have some life drawing classes, yoga sessions, artist film screenings and I even think my daughter's got Bounce and Rhyme scheduled in.

"We might even get a carpet bowls session on the go."

GlasgoJambo

Pretentious claptrap from those involved

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40041603

An empty gallery has been unveiled as the latest work by an artist who "cancelled" her exhibition at one of Glasgow's leading venues.

Marlie Mul asked for no exhibition to be held in the Gallery of Modern Art.

All that will be visible in the gallery are billboards advertising that the exhibition has been cancelled.

People are being invited to "visit and interact with the space" - and suggest alternative uses for the gallery during the five months set aside for the show.

Gallery 1 at Goma will lie empty from Friday until the end of October.

Visitors will instead be greeted by 21 billboards advertising the cancellation of the exhibition by the Dutch artist. 'Amazing opportunity'

Goma said Mul's "conceptual gesture" was to act as an "implicit critique of what is displayed within museums and galleries".

It said that by removing traditional content and opening the space for public use, Mul was "augmenting the institution to question the relevance of an art exhibition in 2017".

He said: "By removing what would traditionally be considered an art object we are instead presenting the gallery as an empty space, giving us a moment to question the value in turning over exhibition after exhibition after exhibition." Carpet bowls

He added: "We're excited by the different types of activities that might be on offer during this cancelled show.

"So far, it's looking like we'll have some life drawing classes, yoga sessions, artist film screenings and I even think my daughter's got Bounce and Rhyme scheduled in.

"We might even get a carpet bowls session on the go."

It's the pervading nihilism of western culture.

As an aside, with a 15 month old son, I raise the ire of my girlfriend by continually referring to bounce and rhyme as bump and grind.

You have to ask why "austerity" hasn't knocked this sheeite on the head but vital services have been cut.

That and athletics,don't get me started.

Nookie Bear

I think he meant to say it was a "fecking farce"

And: "By removing what would traditionally be considered an art object we are instead presenting the gallery as an empty space, giving us a moment to question the value in turning over exhibition after exhibition after exhibition." Er...it's your job, mate.

Nookie Bear

You have to ask why "austerity" hasn't knocked this sheeite on the head but vital services have been cut.

That and athletics,don't get me started.

I read recently that the Football Association receives between ?30-?40million per annum in government funding.

That, is an absolute disgrace.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I think he meant to say it was a "fecking farce"

And: "By removing what would traditionally be considered an art object we are instead presenting the gallery as an empty space, giving us a moment to question the value in turning over exhibition after exhibition after exhibition." Er...it's your job, mate.

People in art talk some bollocks.

The Emperors New Clothes, if pretentious wankers want to pay to go and look at an empty building, crack on erse holes.

So the artist has pulled out and the gallery is to use the space for other events, such as yoga classes.  I'm not sure what the issue is here?

Art can and does take many shapes and forms and is important to the development of human civilisation.  It can simply please, or it can try to change the world or people's opinions.

Interestingly when dictatorships start it is the artists and intelligensia that they target first.

Archived