Manchester Arena

Shanks said no

queensferryjambo

Horrible news. 

I have 2 young daughters and take them to concerts so can totally understand what the spread of age group of this type of concert is like. I can't imagine being in that situation especially with that many kids being around.

I have been to the Manchester Arena a couple of times and wouldn't fancy getting out in a hurry as it has a lot of steep stairs going to the higher levels.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is heartbreaking.

I can't even begin to imagine what this poor woman is going through, not knowing if her daughter is alive or dead.

Was about in tears listening to this poor woman on the radio earlier.  Hope she finds her & gets her home, I doubt she will unfortunately.  Even if she does its 22 other families going through exactly the same.  Horrific.

chester copperpot

Heard the poor woman earlier. You just cannot imagine what she must be going through at this time.

She's just been on to confirm her daughter's pal is in hospital and quite severely hurt.

Doesn't look good for Olivia but here's hoping I am wrong.

That poor woman must be distraught.

Shocking news.

Cowards will strike at any soft target.

Impossible to defend against attacks like this against large gatherings of people in a public space.

Was about in tears listening to this poor woman on the radio earlier. Hope she finds her & gets her home, I doubt she will unfortunately. Even if she does its 22 other families going through exactly the same. Horrific.

That's the thing isn't it? I obviously hope Olivia is alive and well,but if she is then it's just some other poor soul who's probably lost a child.

Cruyff Turn

This is horrible reading.

What kind of utterly sick and depraved individual walks into a crowd of mostly innocent children with their parents and detonates themselves.

****ing prick.

My thoughts are with the friends and family members affected by this tragedy.

I couldn't possibly comprehend how those people are feeling.

Utter scum.

My thoughts are with everyone affected.

Absolutely horrific.

These events are supposed to be safe zones from this shit. All nations and religions come together under one roof and are one people having a good time.

Jambo-Jimbo

Agreed

Maybe Trump is right - stop letting them in until we sort it out!!

You can be incredibly naive at times.

It's probably as high as 95%+ of attacks carried out in the UK are carried out by UK citizens or people who have been living here for many many years.

Just how are you going to stop them coming in, when they live here already.

Prince Buaben

I heard a powerful account this morning on Five Live from a lady who picking up her kids from the Manchester Arena.

Sounded harrowing 

Jambo-Jimbo

He's not naive. He knows exactly why he posted that comment.

Yeh, you could be right.

Thing is, there will be some in this country justifying it and celebrating it bringing up stuff that's happened in other countries we as a majority have control of let alone wee lassies going to a pop concert. Utterly raged beyond belief at this.

Ibrahim Tall

You can be incredibly naive at times.

It's probably as high as 95%+ of attacks carried out in the UK are carried out by UK citizens or people who have been living here for many many years.

Just how are you going to stop them coming in, when they live here already.

To be honest you could counter that argument, while the attacker themselves may have been born here in a lot of cases their parents weren't. If restrictions on immigration were in place at that point etc then the chain could have been broken before it even started. Obviously this wouldn't prevent 'now' in the majority of cases but it could have an effect 20 years from now. The same goes for the preachers etc who set these people on the path to radicalisation but don't 'do' enough to get convicted themselves.

Not saying it's an argument I agree with but i can understand why some people think it.

He's not naive. He knows exactly why he posted that comment.

Its a perfectly reasonable and common sense stance as supported by 60% of Euro population. Does continued level of Islamic immigration to Europe decrease or increase the problem of assimilating the ones already here? I would genuinely love to hear an argument in the positive rather than in the negative 'not compromising our values' vein.

glynnlondon

Deport them and their families to their country of origin if they're no uk born.

If they are uk born intern the ****ers Guantanamo bay style , no release.

Why are we letting them in if they've been off getting trained up in some desert shithole.

They are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.

Sod the human rights act and European courts they can do one.

Fact is as good a job as our security services are doing the fact that they are overstretched says that there are more of these scum ***** about than we think.

By the end of today it'll be lone wolf - metal health issues blah blah blah.

#Pray for Manchester , have a march , light a candle , and see you next time , rinse and repeat.

Feckin bollocks.

Deport them and their families to their country of origin if they're no uk born.

Why are we letting them in if they've been off getting trained up in some desert shithole.

Fact is as good a job as our security services are doing the fact that they are overstretched says that there are more of these scum ***** about than we think.

#Pray for Manchester , have a march , light a candle , and see you next time , rinse and repeat.

Feckin bollocks.

Very sadly I agree with this.

Riddley Walker

Let's ban the Irish coming in as well in case the IRA start doing their stuff again.

Jambo-Jimbo

What I can't get my head around is that whoever carried this out obviously put some planning and research into it.

They must have known what time the concert finished at and they must also have known that they could gain access to that area unchecked, they will have probably carried out one or two dummy runs prior to last night, how else would they know they could gain access unchecked. they would have been surrounded by kids when they detonated their device and would have known that just prior to the detonation, yet still did it.

Kids FFS, what sort of warped individual can do this, nothing absolutly nothing can justify what has just happened.

Ryan Jarman

Feckin bollocks.

Please define who 'them' are. 

Armageddon

Heard a woman on the radio who's daughter is missing, heart breaking.  Hopefully all these people are just in hospital and ok.

Is this the first suicide bomber on the UK?  Terrifying stuff, I always hate the line of "They were known to the authorities" if I look at something inappropriate online then I'm dealt with, anybody suspected of being involved in, or showing activity relating to terror should be dealt with.

Heard a woman on the radio who's daughter is missing, heart breaking. Hopefully all these people are just in hospital and ok.

Is this the first suicide bomber on the UK? Terrifying stuff, I always hate the line of "They were known to the authorities" if I look at something inappropriate online then I'm dealt with, anybody suspected of being involved in, or showing activity relating to terror should be dealt with.

There was the London terror attacks in 2005 that killed 52 (not including the perpetrators).

glynnlondon

Well those who our security services define as a threat.

doctor jambo

I was supposed to be there last night with my daughter (9) .

I refused to take her as I didn't think grande was appropriate,

I feel genuinely shaken.

But can people stop with the whole anti-Muslim diatribe here, its pretty shameful that people would use the deaths of children to push their agenda.

Just can it for a few days

hughesie27

More pictures being shown on Sky News of missing teens.

Chloe and Liam 15 and 17.

Riddley Walker

Useful comment, not

The irony.

My comment was as useful as the ones it was aimed at.

Elias Henry Furst

Awful.

Heartbreaking.

I can't begin to imagine what those poor people are going through.

Let's ban the Irish coming in as well in case the IRA start doing their stuff again.

Fortunately the worst thing Irish Catholics (whom I come from) brought over were the doctrines of crippling guilt. I'd also add they came from a v similar culture. If Catholicism had the doctrines of warring martyrdom and desire for catholic empire then you can guarantee UK would not look like it is today and the IRA wouldn't have just been a specific political, sectarian group.

Utterly sickening.

Unsure what can be done to stop determined suicide bombers intent on murder in the name of some warped ideology.

Jambo-Jimbo

Feckin bollocks.

Sadly some have managed to get back into the UK via illegal means but the vast majority have walked back in through the front door.

As was discussed on another thread recently, it takes around about 20 people to carry out 24/7 surveillance of a suspect and the head of MI5 recently said that they only have the resources to monitor a maximum of 50 people at any one time.

There is an estimated 800 UK citizens who have left to join IS or to provide support for them, around about 200 have been killed that leaves about 600, many of whom are already back in the UK.

Only a small amount can be watched at any one time, but one thing should be apparent and that is the terrorists are adapting and amending their tactics in line with improved Police tactics, gone are the days of big large cells, now it's just one or two individuals or even just a lone wolf and that makes it much harder to combat against.

Sooperstar

Heard a woman on the radio who's daughter is missing, heart breaking. Hopefully all these people are just in hospital and ok.

Is this the first suicide bomber on the UK? Terrifying stuff, I always hate the line of "They were known to the authorities" if I look at something inappropriate online then I'm dealt with, anybody suspected of being involved in, or showing activity relating to terror should be dealt with.

The 2005 London bombings were suicide bombers.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Harrowing stuff. Condolences to the victims and their families.

People calling for internment though. :wtfvlad:

hughesie27

Trump chiming in with a strong message that the bomber is a 'loser'.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Trump chiming in with a strong message that the bomber is a 'loser'.

Well, they'll be disappointed when the find the virgins thing was a load of pish, so yes he's right.

William H. Bonney

7/7 bombers were suicide I think

AlimOzturk

Sadly, this will all be forgotten in a week until e next one happens. Rinse and repeat.

Dunno what it takes before as a society we actually do something about this. Western society can not keep being the victims of an ideaology born out of our shores.

I P Knightley

I can't understand the motivation behind such a crime. Is it purely and simply to make people scared? If so, to what end? 

I suspect that there is a small number of inadequates who make themselves feel adequate by being able to manipulate others who are less intelligent than themselves. And what form of manipulation or control could be more complete than talking those simpletons into taking lives - including their own. 

There's no 'war' in which ground is gained, nor is there any financial gain. It is just sick cruelty delivered by inadequate cowards. 

Rick James

Genuinely shocked at what I've read this morning, although like others, maybe I'm not that shocked.

I thought it was all a hoax or misunderstanding last night but to wake up and see 20+ dead, I can't believe it. But, the world is a scary, ****ed up place right now that I don't even know if I'm genuinely shocked.

My wee girl watches Sam & Cat with Ariana Grande in it and is a fan, and I honestly can't imagine how I'd be feeling if she went to that concert last night and I didn't know she was safe.

Sickening.

AlimOzturk

I can't understand the motivation behind such a crime. Is it purely and simply to make people scared? If so, to what end?

I suspect that there is a small number of inadequates who make themselves feel adequate by being able to manipulate others who are less intelligent than themselves. And what form of manipulation or control could be more complete than talking those simpletons into taking lives - including their own.

There's no 'war' in which ground is gained, nor is there any financial gain. It is just sick cruelty delivered by inadequate cowards.

People blame religion but ultimately this is just used a blanket to cover their true murderous minds. The people who coerse other into doing these deeds are nothing more than sick scum who get a kick out of it.

Rick James

Feckin bollocks.

But how do you even start with something like that? Banish only Muslims? Or those from Islamic countries? Send everyone home? Isn't that very unfair on those who work hard and have lives here and contribute to society?

Nobody is saying that at all.

If these ***** are known to police, get them to feck now.  

Rick James

I'll wait before pointing the finger at terrorism but if it is terrorism then surely there's no defending a certain religion now?

I've been to Manchester and saw a fair amount of Muslim taxi drivers, many of which were probably the ones helping clear the area free of charge.

What's your opinion on them?

But how do you even start with something like that? Banish only Muslims? Or those from Islamic countries? Send everyone home? Isn't that very unfair on those who work hard and have lives here and contribute to society?

I read it as if these guys are known to have visited extremist countries and known to police then get them to feck out the country. 

AlimOzturk

Look after your own before looking after others would be the answer to this. Unfortunate but true

fabienleclerq

Not really the same is it.

These people. 

The usual knee jerk response from some people

Perpetuating the cycle of violence and hatred is not going to stop anything

Ideology is only defeated by eduction

Rudolf's Mate

I was supposed to be there last night with my daughter (9) .

I refused to take her as I didn't think grande was appropriate,

I feel genuinely shaken.

My youngest is 9 and wanted to go to the Capital concert at Wembley. I was actually wary of taking my kids into London before last night but more so now.

The Mrs actually said you can't live life like that and whilst I used to think that way now I'm not so sure. I'd have no qualms myself but not with my kids.

doctor jambo

They are just low grade losers with a grudge.

They feel wronged and excluded- in many ways no different to the sandy Hook killer in the US or the dude who shot up the cinema during batman.

They are inadequates

Rick James

Look after your own before looking after others would be the answer to this. Unfortunate but true

In an ideal world, we'd target and banish these ***** but it seems as though they're living among us. British citizens, who's parents and even grandparents have lived most of their lives in this country.

It's sadly a losing battle in many respects. You can try all you want, but it's near impossible to eradicate this.

Archived