***Potential signings/Transfer rumours Thread***

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

When Berra plants him 2ft under after an aerial challenge, then I guess we'll see. :whistling:

He must be nearly 2ft under when he lands, let alone Berra planting him

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?321531-Berra

Albanian Hibs 11:06 AM 09-05-2017 

Barry Anderson on Twitter saying Hertz may be interested. I wouldnt want him - our current defenders are much better. How old is he anyway?

KingDomofFife84 11:09 AM 09-05-2017 

He wouldn't come to Hibs to sit on the bench

Hibstrooper 12:18 PM 09-05-2017 

A poor man's Paul Hanlon

May2116 01:26 PM 09-05-2017 

Paul Hanlon is a million miles the better of the two. Berra also couldn't lace Daz's boots in the defending stakes. Jase will rip him a new one 3 times next season.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Barry Anderson on Twitter saying Hertz may be interested. I wouldnt want him - our current defenders are much better. How old is he anyway?

A poor man's Paul Hanlon

Paul Hanlon is a million miles the better of the two. Berra also couldn't lace Daz's boots in the defending stakes. Jase will rip him a new one 3 times next season.

Poor mans Paul Hanlon :)

Couldn't lace Daz's boots :)

Jase :lol:

Albanian Hibs :cornette:

Hibs fans :gok:

Poor mans Paul Hanlon :)

Couldn't lace Daz's boots :)

Jase :lol:

Albanian Hibs :cornette:

Hibs fans :gok:

That's just some choice cuts from page 1.

Absolutely incredible levels of delusion matched only by those select few on here who believe it and are worried about them.

That's just some choice cuts from page 1.

Absolutely incredible levels of delusion matched only by those select few on here who believe it and are worried about them.

Worried about Hibs :lol:

More worried about the shaving nick on my shin than about the vermin this season.

In terms of midfielders I hope folks don't lose the plot when it happens but I'm convinced we haven't seen the last of the 3-4-3.

When Smith-Brown and Hughes are healthy that leaves us needing two central mids. (Assuming Walker moves up top into a #10 role.)  Right now that's Djoum and Cowie as first choice with Grzelak, Buaben, and Callachan as backup. (I do my best to pretend that Nowak doesn't exist.) I hope Callachan pushes Cowie.

Yep.... My point here is that Ian black is probably a better option than we have at present.. Which probabky says more about our midfield than anything else..

I don't expect us to start sign ian black.. Nor do I think he'd be a big enough step up.. But I don't understand why people are laughing at the suggestion or just saying he's not good enough.. Those type of remarks suggest he's well below our present level.. Which he is not..

Ugly American tried to answer me earlier.. But instead proved me right.. The player he listed are either not better than black, do not play in the same position as black or in the case of Cowie are right at the end of their career.. (I'm not convinced he's desire either)

Hes currently good enough for a place in our squad no doubt about it..

Do you disagree that Buaben was far and away the better player when they played head to head in the Championship?

If not, do you think that Buaben's game has declined more than Black's? On what basis?

Everybody seems happy with Michael Smith's contribution thus far, myself included, I think Smith-Brown will offer even more going forward, we just need to make sure we commit people into attacking areas because both these guys will create.  I have a feeling that when Smith-Brown is fit, he will be the missing piece of the jigsaw.

We_are_the_Hearts

Do you disagree that Buaben was far and away the better player when they played head to head in the Championship?

If not, do you think that Buaben's game has declined more than Black's? On what basis?

They only played head to head in 1 game that season......................the first 49 minutes of the opening game. When Black went off injured it was still 0-0. Buaben was injured for the 2nd game then Black was on the bench the last 2 games

In terms of midfielders I hope folks don't lose the plot when it happens but I'm convinced we haven't seen the last of the 3-4-3.

When Smith-Brown and Hughes are healthy that leaves us needing two central mids. (Assuming Walker moves up top into a #10 role.) Right now that's Djoum and Cowie as first choice with Grzelak, Buaben, and Callachan as backup. (I do my best to pretend that Nowak doesn't exist.) I hope Callachan pushes Cowie.

I've no issues and with 343... Our problems under Cathro were due to lack of tempo rather than formation.

I like Prince but he has been awful for us at CM in the premiership. To be fair to him he looked ok at CB in a few games. Just seems to be unable to do any of the simple stuff well - this goes back to the championship season. Hopefully Levein can get him back to his best.

Hypthetically, would take Black right now. That says more about how bad our CMs have been, as I haven't seen Black play for years. Also, he was by no means 'terrible/awful' for us. He was hot and cold under Jefferies before becoming one of the key players under Sergio. 

A poor man's Paul Hanlon

:fth:  :olly:

They only played head to head in 1 game that season......................the first 49 minutes of the opening game. When Black went off injured it was still 0-0. Buaben was injured for the 2nd game then Black was on the bench the last 2 games

Buaben may not have played in the 2-0 Hearts win at Tynie in November that year, but Black certainly did.

That was the game Smith of rangers was sent off early on. The way I remember that game was rangers bossed things for pretty much all the first half, even after they lost Smith. It was only in the 2nd half that we came into the game more, playing against 10 men. We scored our goals, but even then they had some of the play and had good chances to equalise.

I therefore disagree (with ugly American) that the Hearts midfield had the upper hand against rangers all season. We got the key results, the first two games, which was so important. Black was part of their midfield and was effective, don't know what he is like now

Bazzas right boot

Berra is our best player

Not in midfield he isn't, the conversation was about midfield.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Ian Black :lol:

I would go as far as saying he is currently no better than any of the current central midfielders at the club, and I discount Nowak and probably Grzelak from that list because I see them as being cover in midfield only.

Had a great spell under Sergio but average the rest of the time. I have memories of him selling the jerseys and picking up an early red card at home to Kilmarnock during his spell (apologies if I'm mistaken) and I think he'd be the target of opposition players to try and get a reaction.

Not for me.

kingantti1874

Buaben isn't a defensive midfielder.. I liked him in the championship but not sure he offers much now.

Buaben may not have played in the 2-0 Hearts win at Tynie in November that year, but Black certainly did.

That was the game Smith of rangers was sent off early on. The way I remember that game was rangers bossed things for pretty much all the first half, even after they lost Smith. It was only in the 2nd half that we came into the game more, playing against 10 men. We scored our goals, but even then they had some of the play and had good chances to equalise.

I therefore disagree (with ugly American) that the Hearts midfield had the upper hand against rangers all season. We got the key results, the first two games, which was so important. Black was part of their midfield and was effective, don't know what he is like now

I'm finding this really interesting. Folks have a very different memory of that season than I do.

Buaben and Gomis, and later Buaben and Pallardo, were the absolute core of Robbie's team. Yes, Sow was the match breaker and Paterson was a difference maker on the field, but our offense always ran through the midfield, and it was always Buaben playing just a little in front of his partner. We dominated that season because we owned the midfield -- there was nothing Rangers or Hibs or QotS or Falkirk could do about it.

Black had some decent performances but even before his ban he couldn't hold down a spot in a dysfunctional Rangers squad. He was clearly out of shape (tea and biscuits at the half and all that) and tried a leg only when he felt like it, but he was overrun in midfield not just against us but regularly against the other three decent teams.

The next season, Buaben was a critical role player. Gomis and Pallardo were quickly found out in the top tier, which drove us to sign Djoum and eventually Kitchen.  Our best form that first season back, though, was when Robbie played only one winger (usually Nicholson -- Walker was hurt by then) and played Buaben as a false wing on the right side of a 4-4-2. Buaben ranged out to the side of the box to make plays but in the middle of the park generally hugged back and kept the midfield from being overrun, making space for Paterson to bomb forward.

Yes, I'm fully tired of seeing him do anything but spot duty as his tendency to get caught on the ball has only gotten worse as his pace has abandoned him (as it does to everyone eventually).  But given Blackie's age and the way he was playing at Rangers, I find it difficult to believe that he's somehow kept himself in top shape and is now a clear upgrade on Buaben or Grzelak.

I'm finding this really interesting. Folks have a very different memory of that season than I do.

Buaben and Gomis, and later Buaben and Pallardo, were the absolute core of Robbie's team. Yes, Sow was the match breaker and Paterson was a difference maker on the field, but our offense always ran through the midfield, and it was always Buaben playing just a little in front of his partner. We dominated that season because we owned the midfield -- there was nothing Rangers or Hibs or QotS or Falkirk could do about it.

Black had some decent performances but even before his ban he couldn't hold down a spot in a dysfunctional Rangers squad. He was clearly out of shape (tea and biscuits at the half and all that) and tried a leg only when he felt like it, but he was overrun in midfield not just against us but regularly against the other three decent teams.

The next season, Buaben was a critical role player. Gomis and Pallardo were quickly found out in the top tier, which drove us to sign Djoum and eventually Kitchen.  Our best form that first season back, though, was when Robbie played only one winger (usually Nicholson -- Walker was hurt by then) and played Buaben as a false wing on the right side of a 4-4-2. Buaben ranged out to the side of the box to make plays but in the middle of the park generally hugged back and kept the midfield from being overrun, making space for Paterson to bomb forward.

Yes, I'm fully tired of seeing him do anything but spot duty as his tendency to get caught on the ball has only gotten worse as his pace has abandoned him (as it does to everyone eventually).  But given Blackie's age and the way he was playing at Rangers, I find it difficult to believe that he's somehow kept himself in top shape and is now a clear upgrade on Buaben or Grzelak.

Up until the Ozturk game Gomis was the a stand out in every game. After that he shone  less frequently as the opposition just didn't let him have time on the ball.

this thread is horrendous reading of late. comparing if buaben and black had better games. let that sink in for a minute and realise how bad we are in midfield. its a major Ozzie tha ts no been addressed. stop gaps have come in who are bang average players that could walk into a championship side. its the engine room and we have a renault kangoo in there. i am away to kill myself

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Some folk had mentioned Aidy White before?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/door-opens-for-free-agents-as-transfer-window-closes-1-8740933

Says he won't be fit again til December but it he's being kept informed of club's interested in him.

Hope we go no where near him, the last thing we need is a injury prone player

Archived