General Election

Don Dan

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vote in the House tomorrow. Labour and SNP in disarray?  The last thing they wanted.

Rudolf's Mate

Looks like a very clever move by conservatives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bindy Badgy

2 thirds majority required in the vote. Will Labour and the SNP vote for it?

I'd be surprised if the SNP did. Hard to see how they could do better than they did last time.

A lot of the talk of another Indy ref may work against them as a lot of people may want to see the dust settle after Brexit before being asked to vote on this issue again.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

Obviously brexit talks aren't going our way and she wants nothing to do with it now :lol:

2 thirds majority required in the vote. Will Labour and the SNP vote for it?

Jeremy Corbyn already said he supported early election.

Teresa May will already have a commitment from Labour before announcing this today.

Overall its probably better to have stability going through Brexit and aftermath. Election in 2020 might be just as leaving.

Still opportunistic.

I 100% see the reasoning behind this and welcome anything that will reduce the number of seats for the Scottish Nuisance Party in Westminster but I really am getting sick of voting.

Vote in the House tomorrow. Labour and SNP in disarray?  The last thing they wanted.

Labour perhaps, the SNP?  Wouldn't say they are in dissaray.

Teresa May will already have a commitment from Labour before announcing this today.

Interesting. I listened to Corbyn this morning on ITV and he never gave anything away or alluded to that this was in the pipeline other than making a policy announcement. 

Labour perhaps, the SNP?  Wouldn't say they are in dissaray.

Opinion is against the SNP at the moment and this move will give May breathing space if needed before telling the SNP and Sturgeon what she officially thinks of or their request for a referendum. 

I'd be surprised if the SNP did. Hard to see how they could do better than they did last time.

A lot of the talk of another Indy ref may work against them as a lot of people may want to see the dust settle after Brexit before being asked to vote on this issue again.

They can hardly vote against it having shouted from the rooftops for weeks that May is an unelected prime minister. They will be looking for and hoping for a landslide SNP vote in Scotland to put the Indy pressure on

He'll drag Labour into it. Jim Callaghan once mocked the SNP as turkey's voting for Christmas in 1979. Corbyn will be doing the same here.

If the LibDems can capitalise on this they might be the next opposition.

They can hardly vote against it having shouted from the rooftops for weeks that May is an unelected prime minister

Good point

She's challenged the other parties, put up or shut up. She's also asking the people to back her as she moves forward with the Brexit negotiations. Brexit will happen however there are many views on what type even within the Conservative party. She needs unity in the Party this may give her it. 

maroonlegions

Looks like a very clever move by conservatives!

Very sneaky and cowardly i would think.

May doing  a "cut and run"  before  the economy is fecked when Bretix kicks in. lol; 

Rudolf's Mate

Very sneaky and cowardly i would think.

May doing a "cut and run" before the economy is fecked when Bretix kicks in. lol;

Win win. They strengthen their position or the unlikely occurs and they don't have to deal with Brexit.

Looks like they'll strengthen though.

maroonlegions

Another five years of these crooks and liars looks on the cards then , meanwhile the Scottish people will again reject May and her criminals, the thing is though will that rejection take on a serge towards Independence if Labour fail to offer any alternative.

SwindonJambo

Can't see anything but a win for the Conservatives

Nor me. Labour will get their biggest thrashing in living memory and could win as few as 150 seats. May will have a stranglehold majority and be able to vote through whatever she wants. Corbyn will finally go, Labour will abandon their failed lurch to the left and go back nearer the Centre again. Has to happen or else the Tories will keep winning, unchallenged.

Nor me. Labour will get their biggest thrashing in living memory and could win as few as 150 seats. May will have a stranglehold majority and be able to vote through whatever she wants. Corbyn will finally go, Labour will abandon their failed lurch to the left and go further to the right than they already are. Has to happen or else the Tories will keep winning, unchallenged.

Fixed

Adam Murray

What will the SNP campaign on, to stay in Europe, Independence obvioulsy, or a campaign to hold an Indy2 anyway, or what?

What will the SNP campaign on, to stay in Europe, Independence obvioulsy, or a campaign to hold an Indy2 anyway, or what?

Anti-Brexit but also demand a second referendum. Scottish Tories to fall in and say they will oppose this. Vote split between those two.

Ian Murray to potentially hold in.

LibDems could pick up a few other seats. Edinburgh West for example. Maybe North East Fife.

maroonlegions

The poor and the disabled and those with mental disabilities must be shiting it.

Yet more attacks on welfare and the NHS , yet more tax breaks for the well off and round and round it goes.

NHS privatisation coming to a town near you.  

18010201_1299611280124949_41837490840383

The SNP will campaign on the Indy 2 platform - they never stopped after the last Independence Referendum.

UDI on the way. PM May thank you.

59 seat whitewash.

Adam Murray

Anti-Brexit but also demand a second referendum. Scottish Tories to fall in and say they will oppose this. Vote split between those two.

LibDems could pick up a few other seats. Edinburgh West for example. Maybe North East Fife.

Wii anything other than 56 SNP MP's being returned be seen as Scotland rejecting the SNP?  :toff:

Puts Labour in a tight spot.

They could throw the Fixed Term Act back in the Tory's faces which buys some time to sort themselves out before the next general election scheduled in 2020.

Then the rabid media paint them as blocking an election but then if the calling of a snap election is not to be opposed, what was the point of the Fixed Term Act in the first place?

They could also just go with it and face a complete spanking because their one and only policy so far under Corbyn is free school dinners.

Then the rabid media paints them as being compliant,weak and useless in opposition.

More interesting would be the results in Scotland.

Would the SNP keep all 56 seats? Could they get even more? Does wee Shouty Ruthie think she can take more than one this time around?

Another crushing landslide for the SNP would validate their Indy2 call.

Losing anything more than a dozen seats would put a dent in this.

Space Mackerel

I 100% see the reasoning behind this and welcome anything that will reduce the number of seats for the Scottish Nuisance Party in Westminster but I really am getting sick of voting.

Do yourself a favour and ignore it all then?

SNP in disarray?

:gok:

Tories and SNP sharing the Scottish vote?

:cornette:

Some folk here have to go and have a lie down

HaymarketJambo

I

I have got to agree with you on most of that.

Ian Murray might be back in due to the Tories and Lib Dems switching thier vote to Labour? Not sure on North East Fife they have a really good SNP MP there.

Edinburgh West could be the same as Edinburgh South, Tories - Labour and Lib Dems joining forces again, a bit like " Better Together"?   

I think the SNP will do well and they might pick up Mundell's seat and hold on to most their seats?     

The Tories will no doubt increase their majority and May will claim that she has the "will of the people", however actual votes and regional variations will prove otherwise.

deesidejambo

UDI on the way. PM May thank you.

59 seat whitewash.

They have little choice but to go for UDI. Otherwise shut their pie holes.

Adam Murray

The Tories will no doubt increase their majority and May will claim that she has the "will of the people", however actual votes and regional variations will prove otherwise.

Maybe she'll just change to "will of the Parliament" then Boris  :toff:

scott herbertson

SNP will be delighted - if they win most seats in Scotland (with the Tories winning a mandate for their manifesto with 'most seats in Britain') with a referendum included in their manifesto how could parliament deny them?

May has consistently said she wouldn't do this  - she will be seen as 'playing games' and creating unnecessary instability in that they have a solid majority and we are supposed to have five year fixed parliaments to avoid exactly this sort of destabilising opportunism

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/18/theresa-may-backtracks-on-vow-she-would-not-call-early-general-election-6581170/

deesidejambo

Sound familiar?

SNP will be delighted - if they win most seats in Scotland (with the Tories winning a mandate for their manifesto with 'most seats in Britain') with a referendum included in their manifesto how could parliament deny them?

May has consistently said she wouldn't do this  - she will be seen as 'playing games' and creating unnecessary instability in that they have a solid majority and we are supposed to have five year fixed parliaments to avoid exactly this sort of destabilising opportunism

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/18/theresa-may-backtracks-on-vow-she-would-not-call-early-general-election-6581170/

Good points, well made.

Archived