Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

Bazzas right boot

Said it before and I'll say it again - this summer is massive for everyone involved in the football department.

Recruitment has to be spot on. I can see what Cathro is trying to do and how he wants us to play, but we really need the correct personel for it to work.

As much as I'm far from happy with how things are going just now, I am going to remain patient for now and give him the time to try and turn things around.

This is were I'm at.

However a few wins this season to give us hope would be welcome and we must have a strong start next season.

4th wouldn't be a terrible season, 5th is poor, 6th is a shocker, this would invite pressure early next season.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFS Fergie was a proven manager prior to Man Utd.

Cathro has a squad that would get a game with any bottom 6 club. He is a shambles, there is nothing there.

We give him next season, we will regret it big time.

Spot on.

John Findlay

And I say people who tolerate failure don't deserve success.. how long you giving him out of interest.. 9 months? 12? 36?

Bill Shankly never won anything at Liverpool between 1967-1972. Would you have sacked him in 67,68,69,70,71 or 72?.

Afterall the man was obviously a failure.

FFS Fergie was a proven manager prior to Man Utd.

Cathro has a squad that would get a game with any bottom 6 club. He is a shambles, there is nothing there.

We give him next season, we will regret it big time.

Agreed - a rookie deserves a longer settling in period than an experienced manager - the point stands however

This is were I'm at.

However a few wins this season to give us hope would be welcome and we must have a strong start next season.

4th wouldn't be a terrible season, 5th is poor, 6th is a shocker, this would invite pressure early next season.

As fourth would get us into Europe, barring an absolute disaster if Hibs won it, i'd say it would be as acceptable as last season, given where we were and where we are now.

Maroon Sailor

I want to see if he can instill his ideas and methods in to the players over the close season. Fresh start, blank canvas etc .... and see how it pans out.

Bazzas right boot

Many wanted Hartley.

He's experienced, Hearts connections. Yet he's the only worse manager than Cathro ATM.

Had 3 year to build a team, and is currently making Cathro look like simone or klopp.

Shit happens.

Poor form happens.

The changes that most wanted, haven't worked, especially player wise.

Thankfully we can fix it.

Any manager can go through bad form

Christ, never mind Hartley look at wegner...

How bad do Hearts have to get before people on here waken up. In the real world at work, in my Hearts club, my family & friends have i met anyone who thinks Cathro and Levein shouldn't be sacked.

Probably because most of the people who want him to stay are either trolling, or Hibs fans. Anyone who enjoys watching Hearts play this way and most of the time lose without having more than 2 shots on target can only fall into those 2 categories.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Many wanted Hartley.

He's experienced, Hearts connections. Yet he's the only worse manager than Cathro ATM.

Had 3 year to build a team, and is currently making Cathro look like simone or klopp.

Shit happens.

Poor form happens.

The changes that most wanted, haven't worked, especially player wise.

Thankfully we can fix it.

Any manager can go through bad form

Christ, never mind Hartley look at wegner...

Neither you nor me would make Cathro look anything like a successful manager. Don't even get me started on the references to Sir Alex.

Bazzas right boot

As fourth would get us into Europe, barring an absolute disaster if Hibs won it, i'd say it would be as acceptable as last season, given where we were and where we are now.

Disaster you say, depends? if it's rangers in the final...

I jest, off course. I agree. But we'll do well to end up 5th just now.

Not great, but for some reason I'm really optimistic about next year.

Tommy Brown

This is were I'm at.

Top 6 isn't possible with Cathro in charge, he doesn't have the know how.

I don't think he would have the nerve to avoid relegation, I have absolutely no belief in him.

Bazzas right boot

Neither you nor me would make Cathro look anything like a successful manager. Don't even get me started on the references to Sir Alex.

The point is that to change things it can take time.

And No matter what your level, shit form can happen to anyone, new managers, experienced managers, successful managers.

Did you want Hartley as manager?

Bazzas right boot

Hartley is ATM.

Top 6 isn't possible with Cathro in charge, he doesn't have the know how.

I don't think he would have the nerve to avoid relegation, I have absolutely no belief in him.

Totally agree. I'd be a wreck having him in charge in a game that had any meaning especially in that scenario. I'm sick of him and sick of watching his football philosophy. It's all a crock. Any Hearts fan that has belief in him can only be enjoying what's served up. Never thought I'd say it but I'm genuinely thinking of paying at the gate on the back of Budges statement. There will be no problem getting into a game given the extra capacity. I would add that my FOH subs will always continue

Those that reference Alex Ferguson are off their heads. He was proven and also took over one of the biggest clubs in world football in a league that didn't have the likes of Ross County or Hamilton in it ffs. It's a pathetic comparison. Absolutely pathetic

Bazzas right boot

The thing is we aren't politicians with different agendas.

We all want the best for Hearts.

It's clear Cathro is staying through this summer.

You don't? have to agree with this. Fair enough.

However, giving the fact he's staying, ask yourself, is continuously moaning about it on here or at the match doing or going to do anything about it?

Maybe you are right, Cathro won't take us forward, However ATM he's staying, as a support we should get behind him and the team.

Bazzas right boot

Those that reference Alex Ferguson are off their heads. He was proven and also took over one of the biggest clubs in world football in a league that didn't have the likes of Ross County or Hamilton in it ffs. It's a pathetic comparison. Absolutely pathetic

It's all relative. The point is he got time after a poor start.

But you knew that.

It's all relative. The point is he got time after a poor start.

But you knew that.

He had a proven record so there was hope to an extent that it would come right. Jesus are you seriously comparing the 2 situations

There is literally no point in these polls on here because most people on this forum are totally clueless and will want any manager to stay because they're that stupid, the fact we've been terrible since he came in, we're showing relegation form and are absolutely horrible to watch doesn't come into it.

Bazzas right boot

He had a proven record so there was hope to an extent that it would come right. Jesus are you seriously comparing the 2 situations

Think folk are comparing the time given.

After a poor start man utd fans wanted him sacked.

The board persisted.

Again, i think you knew that tho.

Bazzas right boot

There is literally no point in these polls on here because most people on this forum are totally clueless and will want any manager to stay because they're that stupid, the fact we've been terrible since he came in, we're showing relegation form and are absolutely horrible to watch doesn't come into it.

Tbf,allot of the people wanting Cathro out are the ones that also wanted Robbie out and celebrated the many changes.

Think you got your "stupid" wires crossed.

Be cool, be patient. You'd think some would have learned after a year of hounding Robbie, but no, rinse and repeat.

Bill Shankly never won anything at Liverpool between 1967-1972. Would you have sacked him in 67,68,69,70,71 or 72?.

Afterall the man was obviously a failure.

Wakey Wakey. Most Hearts managers haven't won anythng in fact most managers in Scotland haven't won anything but even if they haven't none of them are as bad as Cathro.

As for Shanks at Liverpool they were fabulous during that spell to watch. Can you tell me anything good you've seen from Cathro or the way our team play. Do you agree that since he took over when only Celtic were better than us since then we would be 11th in the league with only Inverness worse than Hearts.

Now not many Head Coaches / Managers could be that bad could they. Aye let's give him more time then we could maybe give Austin a wee shot then Daly then maybe draw a name out of the FOH list of members.

I'm losing faith in the current setup, but I want to see what he does in the summer recruitment and pre-season.

None of the players have complained about the setup though, and when Kitchen was asked about the notes passing by BT post match, he sounded surprised by the question and responded in a way that seemed it was no big deal to the players.

He's on thin ice, as is Levein, and if the start to next season is not any better, then they will need to go.

The thing about polls like this is there are often grey areas. For instance while I would shed no tears if Cathro went, I would be ok with him remaining on the backroom staff supporting and learning from a more experienced manager.

Reading the comments there doesn't appear to be much steadfast support for him. While many think he deserves a summer, everyone accepts he's made a bad start and some think poor results can't be tolerated beyond the year end. Grey areas that mean the comments are more enlightening than the poll result.

Think folk are comparing the time given.

After a poor start man utd fans wanted him sacked.

The board persisted.

Again, i think you knew that tho.

Your sarcastic 'you knew that' comments are immature.

So by your comparisons then I cannot wait to win the Champions League in 10 years time with Cathro and a sack load of titles. Happy times ahead thank god. Is that right ? Nope

But then you know that

Times change. You'd probably wait until we were in the Championship before we had a poll.

Are you thick or illiterate?

I've already indicated what I think is reasonable and it is long before the Championship.

Please also read my last post or get someone to read it to you.

Bazzas right boot

Your sarcastic 'you knew that' comments are immature.

So by your comparisons then I cannot wait to win the Champions League in 10 years time with Cathro and a sack load of titles. Happy times ahead thank god. Is that right ? Nope

But then you know that

In terms of success, it's all relative.

Don't think we'll win the UCL.

But relative success to what you compare for Hearts might be cup finals and winning cups regularly while competing at the top end of the table.

Maybe you never knew that.Maybe I assume too much of some posters on here.

But they do say you learn something every day.

Hopefully I've enlightened you tonight.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

With Cathro staying for a long long time to come I'm kinda looking forward to the seethe when he does get it right.

Every draw or even a narrow win is going to be met with some sort of froth. Just so that roaster can say "I was right".

Tragic. This season is playing out as a training exercise. Pretty shite I would absolutely agree but I am very confident that recruitment is up several notches this time

anyone thinking he will come good must surely be basing it on blind faith.

I was very enthusiastic about the appointment but theres been zero evidence of any progress, thats the most worrying part.

More time could be the making of him or it could be extremely detrimental to the club and set us back considerably.

I'd rather give Cathro time than get someone like Tommy Wright in, have a bland third placed finish and slightly improved records away from home.

Wright has long said he would strive to play better football at a bigger club with a bigger budget.

I think his record over 6 years with 6 top 6 finishes and a Scottish Cup at a traditional yo-yo team says he could do more of a job for us than Cathro can.

Even Hartley in the past 5 years shoukd be looked at. 2 Alloa promotions. 1 Dundee promotion and I think 1 top 6 finish. Again a better track record with 2 considerably worse clubs than ours.

Cathro is a rookie. He may well come good but I can't see it for us at this time. We are insipid and there's no escaping our form of late.

TheMightyShed

Business takes risk that doesn't pay off (of that there is no doubt).

Preseason is a very important time and so will the next transfer window....

IF a "long-term" view is taken on Cathro in my opinion that would be like standing at the roulette table and putting it all on red or black.

Hiring Cathro had everyone rolling their eyes [emoji102] and I suspect that Craig Levein felt more comfortable with Cathro just like he felt more comfortable with Robbie over Gary Locke.

Should Cathro be allowed to "learn" at the club's detriment? Just so Levein feels he is in control? Should Ann Budge allow this to continue just because she's close with Levein?

No.

Cathro is a coach, not a manager and there is a plethora of good experienced football managers that could really take Hearts to higher echelons instead of implosion.

I hope that at the end of the season a new manager comes on board and HMFC is put before any egos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...a bit disco

Oh well.

Maybe the next poll on this very same subject will give them the result they want.

Or the one after that, or the one after that, or the one after that, ad nauseam.

HeartOfWestLothian

I voted go but if he can snatch fourth place I would give him the start of next season to see what he can do.

Maybe another more experienced coach for his backroom staff would be good for him to add in the summer as well. Someone with experience of our league and in an ideal world the club.

In terms of success, it's all relative.

Don't think we'll win the UCL.

But relative success to what you compare for Hearts might be cup finals and winning cups regularly while competing at the top end of the table.

Maybe you never knew that.Maybe I assume too much of some posters on here.

But they do say you learn something every day.

Hopefully I've enlightened you tonight.

And we will see how winning things go with him in charge. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see it.

However you are correct in your comment that I've learned something and yes you have certainly enlightened me. Thanks

Lincon Premier

From watching the game on TV and listening to the comments it appears Cathro has the players changing position to out fox the defence as they don't know who the designated strikers is. However the evidence on show last night means that OUR players don't know who to pass the ball to, and when they expect a player to make a run he doesn't. This is not how to win games. Passing the ball back and forth in our own half will never win games. We laughed at Hibs for 20 passes then humping it forward and that appears how Cathro wants us to play.

Watt-Zeefuik

I get people who point out that many successful coaches started off slowly.  For those who follow the NFL, Bill Belichick, architect of the Patriots dynasty, had one winning season in five when he coached the Cleveland Browns before they fired him.

But at some point you have to see some flicker of ability to respond to adversity.  It just seems like Cathro is desperate and trying anything right now.

Wright has long said he would strive to play better football at a bigger club with a bigger budget.

I think his record over 6 years with 6 top 6 finishes and a Scottish Cup at a traditional yo-yo team says he could do more of a job for us than Cathro can.

Exactly!

Those who dismiss the possibility that a Tommy Wright like figure would not adapt his approach and the way his team setup and played if moving from a St Johnstone to a Hearts are beyond stupid. He is achieving what he is at a tiny football club in comparison to Hearts. His methodology in terms of how he motivates and builds a side may not change but there is every reason to believe with better players given a vastly increased budget he would get the same effort levels and consistency out of his squad but demand more attractive football. With the increase in quality and playing in front of much bigger home crowds etc then he may well thrive. He is just an example of what might happen with a hungry coach who is excelling but reached a ceiling at a small club. Jim Jefferies had Falkirk batting above their average time and again, he came to Hearts and kept much of his footballing ethos but was able to build a superb Hearts side with the opportunities, budget and facilities available to him in comparison to at Brockville. Dismissing someone like Wright who is doing a fantastic job at St Johnstone makes no sense whatsoever given what we are witnessing in our own dugout and on the pitch.

Bazzas right boot

Exactly!

Those who dismiss the possibility that a Tommy Wright like figure would not adapt his approach and the way his team setup and played if moving from a St Johnstone to a Hearts are beyond stupid. He is achieving what he is at a tiny football club in comparison to Hearts. His methodology in terms of how he motivates and builds a side may not change but there is every reason to believe with better players given a vastly increased budget he would get the same effort levels and consistency out of his squad but demand more attractive football. With the increase in quality and playing in front of much bigger home crowds etc then he may well thrive. He is just an example of what might happen with a hungry coach who is excelling but reached a ceiling at a small club. Jim Jefferies had Falkirk batting above their average time and again, he came to Hearts and kept much of his footballing ethos but was able to build a superb Hearts side with the opportunities, budget and facilities available to him in comparison to at Brockville. Dismissing someone like Wright who is doing a fantastic job at St Johnstone makes no sense whatsoever given what we are witnessing in our own dugout and on the pitch.

I agree, but tbh to write a new, young coach off after 3 months and one limited) transfer window also makes no sense.

If you are using a reasonable, logical approach to discuss Wright, then follow the same approach with Cathro.

John Findlay

Wakey Wakey. Most Hearts managers haven't won anythng in fact most managers in Scotland haven't won anything but even if they haven't none of them are as bad as Cathro.

As for Shanks at Liverpool they were fabulous during that spell to watch. Can you tell me anything good you've seen from Cathro or the way our team play. Do you agree that since he took over when only Celtic were better than us since then we would be 11th in the league with only Inverness worse than Hearts.

Now not many Head Coaches / Managers could be that bad could they. Aye let's give him more time then we could maybe give Austin a wee shot then Daly then maybe draw a name out of the FOH list of members.

Apart from Celtic. Which other team in the league has put more than 3 goals past Sevco?

I don't believe in sacking any football manager after six months.

I will put my money where my mouth is. I will bet you ?100 that Hearts with Cathro in charge next season will come nowhere near getting relegated. Are you up for it?

Tommy Brown

John,

I'm the same age as you and have endured the horrible 70,s and early 80's, dreadful stuff.

We have suffered the heartache of '86 and believing that it would never happen for us.

Romanov arrives and puts a team on the park that not been seen since the 50's, then takes it away from us two months later. One thing that did, was show what a support we have. We have now won two more cups and want more and will fill the stadium for.

We are losing the impetus now. We are going to see a drop in ST sales as punters will revert to walk up and pay.

We ain't going to fill the stadium with this joker in charge.

If we were replicating the steady progress of Aberdeen, we would selling out the new capacity without sacrificing the Roseburn. But we are witnessing a complete shambles. An embarrassing, clueless mess. The guy does not have it.

I said earlier, every player at his disposal would get a game for any bottom 6 SPL club (even ****ing Sowah).

The players aren't the problem.

I will take your bet and gladly sacrifice the cash to be proven wrong. I don't think I will lose any money with Cathro in charge.

It's interesting that the posts on this thread are overwhelmingly negative, but the poll is supportive, by quite a margin.

It's interesting that the posts on this thread are overwhelmingly negative, but the poll is supportive, by quite a margin.

The posts aren't as negative as the 'football' we play though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You must be the most amazing wonderful chap ever if you've haven't made mistakes in your chosen career.

CL seems to be a hobby horse of yours - try and dismount for a few months. Repetition does not enhance your opinion.

There are many threads to the running of the club and while CL oversees it he must delegate and trust. One could blame your compatriot John Murray who may not be scouting the right players, McPhee who supposedly analyses teams before we play them, the physio who may not have the players as fit as they should be or the owner who supposedly sanctions all hiring/firing.

:laugh:

Through all that invective, I'm glad you agree with me that Levein has made mistakes. The biggest one being Cathro.

Yes I was at Easter road, yes I left fuming but I'm an adult and in the cold light of day can take a step back and see the bigger picture. We need to add steel , we need to add leaders but I would prefer we continued down the road of trying something different rather than wetting myself at the first sign of issues

"An adult" - aye very good.

"FIRST sign of issues"???? Major issues were apparent almost from day one!

Small sample result but fair enough if slightly surprising. I can get that some are worried that he may actually be really good and we miss out. We all think that to an extent. I personally worry about stalling the upward trend with a new stand to fill. Better results post split would repair some of the damage and whatever way we voted we are all surely hoping for an upturn.

Bazzas right boot

John,

I'm the same age as you and have endured the horrible 70,s and early 80's, dreadful stuff.

We have suffered the heartache of '86 and believing that it would never happen for us.

Romanov arrives and puts a team on the park that not been seen since the 50's, then takes it away from us two months later. One thing that did, was show what a support we have. We have now won two more cups and want more and will fill the stadium for.

We are losing the impetus now. We are going to see a drop in ST sales as punters will revert to walk up and pay.

We ain't going to fill the stadium with this joker in charge.

If we were replicating the steady progress of Aberdeen, we would selling out the new capacity without sacrificing the Roseburn. But we are witnessing a complete shambles. An embarrassing, clueless mess. The guy does not have it.

I said earlier, every player at his disposal would get a game for any bottom 6 SPL club (even ******* Sowah).

The players aren't the problem.

I will take your bet and gladly sacrifice the cash to be proven wrong. I don't think I will lose any money with Cathro in charge.

Aberdeen is an interesting comparison.

In one way they are our benchmark.

In another they are a reminder that not trying anything different will reap, well average rewards.

You could argue Thier return has been poor o ER the past 5 years and that difficult times are approaching for them.

Thier crowd sizes also go against the point you are trying to prove.

Cathro might not be the answer, however to try do something positive we are trying something different.

Things need to improve, i agree but Cathro should get time.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Small sample result but fair enough if slightly surprising. I can get that some are worried that he may actually be really good and we miss out. We all think that to an extent. I personally worry about stalling the upward trend with a new stand to fill. Better results post split would repair some of the damage and whatever way we voted we are all surely hoping for an upturn.

I also think the Budge statement has shored up Cathro and Levein. That's fine. I accept they'll be here next season but we shouldn't need emergency surgery in January 2018 for it to be successful.

Bazzas right boot

I also think the Budge statement has shored up Cathro and Levein. That's fine. I accept they'll be here next season but we shouldn't need emergency surgery in January 2018 for it to be successful.

I agree, this summer, recruitment must be much improved.

Archived