''Winningest"

Bridge of Djoum

Bridge of Djoum

I hear this word a lot over here, relating to the ''winningest'' coach of all time etc.

It just does not feel right at all. I liken it to ''mostest''. Sounds wrong.

Governor Tarkin

Get Susie Dent on the case.

I agree though, It just sounds wrong.

Tommy Brown

"over here", as in kickback land??

Winningest, i have not seen. But i just joined when Cathro arrived.

Uselessest , i see a lot though, seems correct.

Ye that word is indefensible :(

Indefensible is, of course, the opposite and nothing wrong with that. Nothing technically wrong with "defensible" either, but it's use is pretty archaic, and stems from the American use of "defense" as a verb in a sporting context. We already have "defend" (and "defendable") which works perfectly well in that context.

Indefensible is, of course, the opposite and nothing wrong with that. Nothing technically wrong with "defensible" either, but it's use is pretty archaic, and stems from the American use of "defense" as a verb in a sporting context. We already have "defend" (and "defendable") which works perfectly well in that context.

Was just jerking around pard'ner ;)

I do love language though. Nothing wrong with new words or archaic versions in my opinion. I completely understand words grating on folk, personly it would be things like 'lit', 'bae', 'lol'. Even these horrors have a way of becoming accepted into the lexicon.

Was just jerking around pard'ner ;)

I do love language though. Nothing wrong with new words or archaic versions in my opinion. I completely understand words grating on folk, personly it would be things like 'lit', 'bae', 'lol'. Even these horrors have a way of becoming accepted into the lexicon.

Indeed. Many days spent watching American TV sports coverage resulted in words like this really getting on my ****ing tits.

Archived