In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs- "Everything is going down the pan"

Big G

Over here anyway boys, The Economy is going downhill rapido and it won't be long till it hits over there, We got all the Politicians running round like chickens trying to think of a way of getting it kick started, house prices are worth crap, Stock values plummeting, not a nice time to be trying to make a living here that's for sure.

Serious question here, Is there a lot of jobs in Edinburgh these days? I might have to go there if things don't get any better, I'm supposed to be flying over in March, My money is gonna be worth nothing too, F&&&G great.....

Serious question here, Is there a lot of jobs in Edinburgh these days? I might have to go there if things don't get any better, I'm supposed to be flying over in March, My money is gonna be worth nothing too, F&&&G great.....

Not really sure Big G. Depends what you are after i suppose.

No doubt we will feel the effects of the US economic downturn too, not that that is any comfort...

Would everyone stop acting like this is all a US problem !!

We have problems far greater over here, IMO. They just haven't reached a head yet.

Far more personal debt. Governments balance sheet in a worse state. Far larger bubble in the housing market. We produce far far less than the US does. Far higher level of taxes.

In a few years the US will be the ones looking over at us and feeling sorry, IMO.

Just had El Presidente on the Telly telling us we can all expect a Tax rebate check late spring early summer, way to go dubya, that sure fixes everything:mad:

I can get a check from the feds for 9k if I reup in the Reserves, Don't wanna have to do that, but the way things are going, I might not have any choice, 9k would pay a lot of things and buy me some breathing space.

Would everyone stop acting like this is all a US problem !!

We have problems far greater over here, IMO. They just haven't reached a head yet.

Far more personal debt. Governments balance sheet in a worse state. Far larger bubble in the housing market. We produce far far less than the US does. Far higher level of taxes.

In a few years the US will be the ones looking over at us and feeling sorry, IMO.

What about those of us with no personal debt? :rolleyes:

What about those of us with no personal debt? :rolleyes:

Well us smart fellows should be just fine. ;)

It's the numpties who have 15k credit card debt and earn 18k per year who will get destroyed. And there are a lot of them about. :eek:

Wondering what the first signs will be that we'll see on our doorstep ?

OK theres the obvious big stuff like recruitment, house prices and so on...

But it's the day to day stuff I'll be looking out for too. If you walk up from Morningside over to Bruntsfield then every second-shop is a poncy wee trinket/gift shop. They're the epitomy of "pointless expenditure", I can't believe so many of them exist. They would be in for a hit.

Not forgetting paying 3 quid or more for a pretentious coffee. Surely punters will put the brakes on that if times get tougher...

But it's the day to day stuff I'll be looking out for too. If you walk up from Morningside over to Bruntsfield then every second-shop is a poncy wee trinket/gift shop. They're the epitomy of "pointless expenditure", I can't believe so many of them exist. They would be in for a hit.

Not forgetting paying 3 quid or more for a pretentious coffee. Surely punters will put the brakes on that if times get tougher...

Given we have morphed into a service industry economy, the whole gig is at risk!

I reckon it is a cunning plan hatched by the health nazis to make sure we spend less on booze and tobacco!

Expect to see a drop in sales from the Home Improvement stores, Are the house prices falling yet? because that's another sign right there.

Telling you guys, you should see round where I live, for sale signs everywhere.

guy on the telly the other day said that in California, from the start of the year to date, there has been over 5000 foreclosures, Can only imagine whats going on in the rest of the country.

Wish I was retired right about now, this is no time to be making a living and trying to save.

Archived