More Tory lies

aussieh

Victorian

There's two things preventing a full Labour revival.     Too many people easily fooled into disliking Corbyn as a person / leader.    The sort of voter who votes purely on image / perception.     Remnants of 'New Labour' hovering in the background,  biding their time until the next opportunity to snake back in.

Depends what people want.    A party to vote for who says whatever needs said in order to win votes.    Or a party who forms policies from the bottom up and presents them to be voted for or rejected.     Do people want political principles or do they want image and spin?

• Replies 26.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

deesidejambo
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There's two things preventing a full Labour revival.     Too many people easily fooled into disliking Corbyn as a person / leader.    The sort of voter who votes purely on image / perception.     Remnants of 'New Labour' hovering in the background,  biding their time until the next opportunity to snake back in.

Depends what people want.    A party to vote for who says whatever needs said in order to win votes.    Or a party who forms policies from the bottom up and presents them to be voted for or rejected.     Do people want political principles or do they want image and spin?

Image certainly.    For example it was concluded that Macron got a portion of the female vote in France because he was viewed as handsome and sophisticated.     Nothing at all to do with his policies.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, deesidejambo said:

Agreed.   This is paradoxically a good result for Corbyn as he can analyse the results and put in place rectifications for the next GE.

For a start bin Abbott.    He relies too much on her as his attack dog.  He needs his shadow cabinet to step up also.  Many of them are imo invisible 

He needs rid of more than just Abbot. I don’t know if you seen her interview with Piers Morgan the other day? Unbelievable how slow and measured she answered yet spoke complete and utter drivel and refused to answer the question, incredibly she hasn’t been removed from her post. McDonnell must go too he’s an IRA sympathising scumbag and these are two reasons why I couldn’t bring myself to vote for Labour, I suspect I’d be in plenty company.

Corbyn, with decent people around him would walk it. 

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

He needs rid of more than just Abbot. I don’t know if you seen her interview with Piers Morgan the other day? Unbelievable how slow and measured she answered yet spoke complete and utter drivel and refused to answer the question, incredibly she hasn’t been removed from her post. McDonnell must go too he’s an IRA sympathising scumbag and these are two reasons why I couldn’t bring myself to vote for Labour, I suspect I’d be in plenty company.

Corbyn, with decent people around him would walk it. 

He needs rid of himself too.  He's nothing more than a populist protest leader and I don't think he's anywhere near up to the responsibility that comes with being in office.  Replace him with Kier Starmer ,Chukka Umuna, Dan Jarvis or similar and I and many other long term Labour voters will return to the fold. Until then it's ABT (anyone but Tory) or spoiling my ballot paper.

I'm with Rab87.  The current state of British Politics is bloody depressing. The calibre of Politician is very weak all across the board.  Way, way too many career politicians who've never had a meaningful job in the real World, outside politics. Not healthy at all.

Edited by SwindonJambo

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

He needs rid of himself too.  He's nothing more than a populist protest leader and I don't think he's anywhere near up to the responsibility that comes with being in office.  Replace him with Kier Starmer ,Chukka Umuna, Dan Jarvis or similar and I and many other long term Labour voters will return to the fold. Until then it's ABT (anyone but Tory) or spoiling my ballot paper.

I'm with Rab87.  The current state of British Politics is bloody depressing. The calibre of Politician is very weak all across the board.  Way, way too many career politicians who've never had a meaningful job in the real World, outside politics. Not healthy at all.

Not gonna disagree with you tbh mate. 

I hate the lot of them. 

SwindonJambo
22 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not gonna disagree with you tbh mate. 

I hate the lot of them. 

Me too :(  I liken today's electoral choices as being akin to being forced to choose between drinking my own urine or eating my own faeces...

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Me too :(  I liken today's electoral choices as being akin to being forced to choose between drinking my own urine or eating my own faeces...

:shockio:

:lol: 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

What a pish,  shite choice:D.

When faced with a sitting government that has proven to be incompetent, ignorant and totally unable to function, I'd rather take a chance on the alternative, even if they are shaky.

SpruceBringsteen

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-44005594

DcXzcXQW4AAdPqH.jpg

It's good that we can ignore this, the countless other incidents of racism, Windrush, Grenfell, tens of thousands of dead benefit claimants, the "hilarity" of the Brexit negotiations and the unrelentingly constant lies, because they didn't have a cup of tea with some Irish boy or want independence. Really good. 

Edited by SpruceBringsteen

shaun.lawson
15 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-44005594

DcXzcXQW4AAdPqH.jpg

It's good that we can ignore this, the countless other incidents of racism, Windrush, Grenfell, tens of thousands of dead benefit claimants, the "hilarity" of the Brexit negotiations and the unrelentingly constant lies, because they didn't have a cup of tea with some Irish boy or want independence. Really good. 

Staggering. Still, yet more evidence of the "compassionate, centrist, not at all right wing" Tories Lord BJ was on about, don't you think? :rolleyes: 

That said, as a Labour supporter, I'm cheerfully unconcerned about the local election results, which went more or less as I imagined they would. British politics is split down the middle into two almost identically sized tribes. There'll be very little movement between or away from either until after Brexit. We're essentially locked in a holding pattern until then. 

SpruceBringsteen

Even if we ignore everything I said, it doesn't even make sense given the Tories are in charge of the benefits system.

England is under the governance of genuine ****ing halfwits.

Space Mackerel
9 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

I'd say significant but you can google it yourself. In case you are genuinely challenged start with Tower Hamlets election fraud.

Do I need to mention Ruth Davidson and mentioning postal votes? Does that count? 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14464140.Riddle_deepens_over_Ruth_Davidson_and_allegations_of_referendum_election_fraud/

That sort of election fraud? Involving the polis? 

shaun.lawson
14 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

LOL jimmies still rustled I see.

Anyway why don’t you tell us about why you were a  ‘mummy’ May supporter? Wasn’t that long ago you were bestowing the virtues of the Tory’s on another website was it?!?!

**** me you even bought into strong and stable.?

1. No and 2. No, but nice to see you apparently frequent that other website too. :P 

I simply preferred May to Leadsom. That's it. Leadsom represented a UKIP/tax haven takeover of British politics. May represented a kind of right wing version of Milibandism. Which she's since not gone on to practice at all - other than for about 24 hours during the election campaign, with the proposal for those who can afford it to pay for their own care. Cue instant, laughable U-turn.

I have never extolled the virtues of the Tories in ma puff, and I never will either. At every election I've ever voted in, I've voted for the anti-Tory option. You, meanwhile, describe a country in which a candidate for the governing party compares Muslims with dogs, and an MP uses the 'n' word, and both are allowed to remain, as "more compassionate than it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago", "centrist" and "not more right wing than under Thatcher". 

:rolleyes4: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

Space Mackerel
6 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I dont, in Scotland we have a 3rd way. 

Its actually really qquite bizarre that after all these years of democracy, that it still boils down to the big 2 parties. Almost like it’s been manufactured by the people who own the newspapers and media. You know, the folks with all the money. 

deesidejambo
1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Its actually really qquite bizarre that after all these years of democracy, that it still boils down to the big 2 parties. Almost like it’s been manufactured by the people who own the newspapers and media. You know, the folks with all the money. 

You can always vote LibDem and get PR going.

shaun.lawson
7 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

shaun.lawson
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You think because a mp used the n word, that reflects a whole country compassion levels? That’s a bit stupid of you.

Do you even think that is indicator of the position of a political party? Conflating issues again aren’t you!

What's really really stupid is thinking that when a governing party does that - when it fails to expel a candidate or an MP for vile racism - it isn't setting an example of what it stands for. It is. And it's not expelled them because it needs the racist vote: which it courts regularly.

And no, you don't know "fine well what I've written". You're awfully good at just making shit up though: you'd fit in really well with the Tories. :thumbsup:

Here's yet another example of that "compassion", "centrism" and "not very right wing"ism in action. Marvellous.

DcI6lwGWsAAyNsx.jpg

DcHINaTWkAA9Na8.jpg

Edited by shaun.lawson

Space Mackerel
50 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

You can always vote LibDem and get PR going.

If only

D01DE02C-1F62-4E1E-AA1A-3E10F5B8710A.jpeg

Space Mackerel
52 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Thanks for that, I’m a massive George Carlin fan ?

deesidejambo
8 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

If only

D01DE02C-1F62-4E1E-AA1A-3E10F5B8710A.jpeg

All great journeys begin with a single step.

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

All great journeys begin with a single step.

Step was taken 11 years ago plus 1 day. 

13 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Do I need to mention Ruth Davidson and mentioning postal votes? Does that count? 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14464140.Riddle_deepens_over_Ruth_Davidson_and_allegations_of_referendum_election_fraud/

That sort of election fraud? Involving the polis? 

No, I mean the ones that happened without doubt. There my have been 3 :laugh: in the referendum but I doubt that swung it.

Roxy Hearts
13 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Thanks for that, I’m a massive George Carlin fan ?

That's brilliant, reminds me of how some of electorate get there info here especially Unionist parties. 

deesidejambo
14 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

DcYOO_nX0AIsNjg.jpg

Shaun I thought you of all people would be careful when quoting unsubstantiated figures from a pressure group.   I bet the real number is well below what you quote.

I take it you are against having to provide ID and are happy to live with electoral fraud.

Not me - i don’t see it as a lot to ask for people to identify themselves prior to voting and you know that it’s common practice across the world.

shaun.lawson
5 hours ago, deesidejambo said:

Shaun I thought you of all people would be careful when quoting unsubstantiated figures from a pressure group.   I bet the real number is well below what you quote.

I take it you are against having to provide ID and are happy to live with electoral fraud.

Not me - i don’t see it as a lot to ask for people to identify themselves prior to voting and you know that it’s common practice across the world.

Can you explain to me how, for example, homeless people will be able to identity themselves?

deesidejambo
19 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Can you explain to me how, for example, homeless people will be able to identity themselves?

You  may be aware that in NI and in many countries it is already the law.  In fact U.K. is becoming a global exception in that we do not need national ID cards.

People who have no driving licence or passport can get an electoral ID card.    

But for those, I suspect yourself, who are claiming that this is a way for Tories to lower the Labour vote, you are incorrect.  The people who are most likely to have no driving licence or passport are the elderly, and guess what party the elderly are most likely to vote for - The Tories.

But now your turn - explain of the 4000 people how many returned later when they were told to provide ID.   As this is a trial many people will have simply been unaware of the need and hence had to come back later with driving licence or passport as opposed to being homeless.

But I suspect you will just believe the pressure groups numbers anyway. 

shaun.lawson
Just now, deesidejambo said:

You  may be aware that in NI and in many countries it is already the law.  In fact U.K. is becoming a global exception in that we do not need national ID cards.

People who have no driving licence or passport can get an electoral ID card.    

But for those, I suspect yourself, who are claiming that this is a way for Tories to lower the Labour vote, you are incorrect.  The people who are most likely to have no driving licence or passport are the elderly, and guess what party the elderly are most likely to vote for - The Tories.

But now your turn - explain of the 4000 people how many returned later when they were told to provide ID.   As this is a trial many people will have simply been unaware of the need and hence had to come back later with driving licence or passport as opposed to being homeless.

But I suspect you will just believe the pressure groups numbers anyway. 

Sorry. You haven't explained to me how homeless people can identify themselves. How do you suppose they can get an electoral ID card without being able to provide proof of residence? In other words, the very group of people worst affected by this government will be denied the right to vote. And Britain, incidentally, has far, far more people unable to provide proof of address than you'd realise.

Other countries have ID cards, deeside. We don't. 

argyjambo
36 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Pretty sure you need to have an address to get on any UK voters roll, so unless there are specific facilities enabling the homeless to vote,  your question is rendered meaningless.

deesidejambo
3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Sorry. You haven't explained to me how homeless people can identify themselves. How do you suppose they can get an electoral ID card without being able to provide proof of residence? In other words, the very group of people worst affected by this government will be denied the right to vote. And Britain, incidentally, has far, far more people unable to provide proof of address than you'd realise.

Other countries have ID cards, deeside. We don't. 

They are able to apply and give the address of a homeless shelter or any other address which is what they use for their other postal needs such as social security and their bank details.

You are naive if you think they don’t have these options.

And I know other countries use national IDs.     I posted that.   I assume you don’t support that either.   I do though.     And it’s nothing to do with “being a Tory”.

shaun.lawson
Just now, deesidejambo said:

They are able to apply and give the address of a homeless shelter or any other address which is what they use for their other postal needs such as social security and their bank details.

You are naive if you think they don’t have these options.

And I know other countries use national IDs.     I posted that.   I assume you don’t support that either.   I do though.     And it’s nothing to do with “being a Tory”.

Wrong. I do. If we had ID cards, Brexit would never have happened, and the government wouldn't be detaining and deporting people with the right to live in the UK. 

deesidejambo
Just now, shaun.lawson said:

Wrong. I do. If we had ID cards, Brexit would never have happened, and the government wouldn't be detaining and deporting people with the right to live in the UK. 

True, except nobody has been deported.    Detention though - have any Windrush people been in detention centres?    

shaun.lawson
3 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

True, except nobody has been deported.    Detention though - have any Windrush people been in detention centres?    

Yes, and it's been reported all over the media. For months. 

deesidejambo

Yes, and it's been reported all over the media. For months. 

Ok Shaun- do you accept that anyone can get an election card, as they do in NI?

And do you accept, Shaun, that no Windrush person has been deported.

Shaun you get criticised for hyperbole, with respect the above explains why.  Make your case but watch for overdoing it or you may end up like Izzard. 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, deesidejambo said:

And I don’t get the bit about ID Cards stopping Brexit.    What’s that mean?

Most other EU members don't practice freedom of movement in the way we have. In most other EU member states, people have to register after 90 days, and life there is close to impossible without an ID card: which entitles people to work, open a bank account, healthcare etc etc. 

The UK, by contrast, has had next to no idea about who's left and who's entered, who's legal, and who's illegal... all because it doesn't have ID cards. It's precisely that which is going to result in the shambles to end all shambles with 3m EU residents over the next couple of years.  

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, deesidejambo said:

And do you accept, Shaun, that no Windrush person has been deported.

No, I don't. That's based on what the Immigration Minister herself told us; on the Home Secretary being forced to resign after lying to Parliament about it; on the arbitrary targets and incentives for people at the Home Office meeting those targets... and the small matter of the government refusing to release all documentation relating to Windrush. Which would only be the case if it had plenty to hide.

Your continuing faith in the authorities is very touching. But woefully, almost stupefyingly naive at times.

deesidejambo

No, I don't. That's based on what the Immigration Minister herself told us; on the Home Secretary being forced to resign after lying to Parliament about it; on the arbitrary targets and incentives for people at the Home Office meeting those targets... and the small matter of the government refusing to release all documentation relating to Windrush. Which would only be the case if it had plenty to hide.

Your continuing faith in the authorities is very touching. But woefully, almost stupefyingly naive at times.

Wrong again.    Rudd gave evidence on 25th April which stated no deportations as of that time.   You are quoting a prior comment made on 16th April which was subsequently corrected.

Its you Shaun.  Who believes what you want to believe.

Hyperbole Shaun

deesidejambo

And btw you criticise me for using official statements when you do the same yourself with the one from the Immigration Minister,  which was subsequently corrected.

shaun.lawson
7 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

Wrong again.    Rudd gave evidence on 25th April which stated no deportations as of that time.   You are quoting a prior comment made on 16th April which was subsequently corrected.

Its you Shaun.  Who believes what you want to believe.

Hyperbole Shaun

I thought your response when I explained the Inquiries Cover-Up Bill was very instructive. "Well that's clearly ridiculous" (or words to that effect) - and nothing further. No deep thinking, no asking yourself how the UK establishment can behave in such a way... nothing. 

I wonder what you thought about Hillsborough before the truth was finally revealed 23 years later? Or what you think about Orgreave? Or what you think about the UN condemning Britain's treatment of the disabled? Or what you think about the UK, through its overseas jurisdictions, being the world's biggest culprit in tax avoidance? Or if you're even aware of the numbers who've died because of austerity and benefit sanctions?

The UK is a country which exists for the benefit of the richest. The only things that matter in such a place are money and property. It is increasingly hostile, at times despicably so, to anyone who lacks either of those things; it puts every hurdle conceivable in place for the poor, the disabled, the infirm, the unemployed, or foreign residents who don't have shitloads of cash to splash.

UK citizens who marry non-EU citizens cannot even live with their spouse in the UK unless they themselves earn over an absurd income threshold - and in future, that'll be extended to all non-UK citizens too. And for others, the threshold is even worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/12/eu-workers-deported-earning-less-35000-employees-americans-australians

You might be oblivious to the kind of country Britain's become, deeside. Some of us aren't. Some of us are absolutely disgusted.

deesidejambo
48 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I thought your response when I explained the Inquiries Cover-Up Bill was very instructive. "Well that's clearly ridiculous" (or words to that effect) - and nothing further. No deep thinking, no asking yourself how the UK establishment can behave in such a way... nothing. 

I wonder what you thought about Hillsborough before the truth was finally revealed 23 years later? Or what you think about Orgreave? Or what you think about the UN condemning Britain's treatment of the disabled? Or what you think about the UK, through its overseas jurisdictions, being the world's biggest culprit in tax avoidance? Or if you're even aware of the numbers who've died because of austerity and benefit sanctions?

The UK is a country which exists for the benefit of the richest. The only things that matter in such a place are money and property. It is increasingly hostile, at times despicably so, to anyone who lacks either of those things; it puts every hurdle conceivable in place for the poor, the disabled, the infirm, the unemployed, or foreign residents who don't have shitloads of cash to splash.

UK citizens who marry non-EU citizens cannot even live with their spouse in the UK unless they themselves earn over an absurd income threshold - and in future, that'll be extended to all non-UK citizens too. And for others, the threshold is even worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/12/eu-workers-deported-earning-less-35000-employees-americans-australians

You might be oblivious to the kind of country Britain's become, deeside. Some of us aren't. Some of us are absolutely disgusted.

Oh well that’s a pity for you.   I like living here.    Perfection?   No.     But happy?  Yes.

Thunderstruck
1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

Pretty sure you need to have an address to get on any UK voters roll, so unless there are specific facilities enabling the homeless to vote,  your question is rendered meaningless.

You can register if you are homeless, of no fixed abode or even if you live on a gin palace in a marina. 

https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/can-i-vote/with-no-fixed-address

shaun.lawson
20 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

You can register if you are homeless, of no fixed abode or even if you live on a gin palace in a marina. 

https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/can-i-vote/with-no-fixed-address

And if someone doesn't have a passport and/or doesn't have/can't remember their NI number?

Thunderstruck
18 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

And if someone doesn't have a passport and/or doesn't have/can't remember their NI number?

Then they complete the form accordingly and the ERO will make an adjudication based on whatever information is available. 

If they can’t fill in the form, they can get assistance at the office of the ERO, the local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or other organisations offering assistance. 

If you need to know if there are any, pop into a local library and look at the end of each register where you will find “Other Electors”.  

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Then they complete the form accordingly and the ERO will make an adjudication based on whatever information is available. 

If they can’t fill in the form, they can get assistance at the office of the ERO, the local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or other organisations offering assistance. 

If you need to know if there are any, pop into a local library and look at the end of each register where you will find “Other Electors”.  

And all this to combat a 'problem' which is almost infitesimally small - and in which the majority of cases involve not voters, but candidates.

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06255/SN06255.pdf

We have rather less data on how common postal vote fraud is. And the government is doing rather less about postal voting. Quelle surprise. 

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, deesidejambo said:

Oh well that’s a pity for you.   I like living here.    Perfection?   No.     But happy?  Yes.

Good for you. :thumbsup:

Here's a bit of personal experience I have of the Home Office. I taught a foundation degree English course to students from the subcontinent in 2011. Naturally, at its conclusion, some of them wanted to go on to university, so needed to apply to have their student visas extended.

As part of their application, they were required to enclose their passports. The Home Office then held these, and them in limbo, for over a year.

Imagine being a poor student from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. Imagine barely being able to make ends meet in a ridiculously expensive country, dealing with exploitative landlords and living in appalling accommodation. Then imagine being sans passport for over a year, work being illegal, and you being unable to continue your academic progress until the Home Office approve your application.

Even so much as phoning them up and asking what was going on risked prejudicing their chances. The Home Office provided no updates and spoke to them (and me, on their behalf) angrily if any of us did call. That was in 2011/12. It's got far, far worse since. 

Labour consider national ID cards. Press goes mental about state surveillance, 1984, communist party membership cards and the nanny state. Right wingers appalled.

Tories consider ID requirements at polling stations. Press supports this as a way to stop fraud and demand national ID cards. Right wingers delighted.

Funny old game

Edited by Cade

deesidejambo
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Labour consider national ID cards. Press goes mental about state surveillance, 1984, communist party membership cards and the nanny state. Right wingers appalled.

Tories consider ID requirements at polling stations. Press supports this as a way to stop fraud and demand national ID cards. Right wingers delighted.

Funny old game

What’s your personal view in national ID Cards?  

Should we we have them?

Thunderstruck
3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

And all this to combat a 'problem' which is almost infitesimally small - and in which the majority of cases involve not voters, but candidates.

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06255/SN06255.pdf

We have rather less data on how common postal vote fraud is. And the government is doing rather less about postal voting. Quelle surprise. 

I suggest that, with cross party consensus, it is more “Parliament” than “Government” with the Electoral Commission in the background. 

You also seem seem to be considering two quite distinct processes - registration and election management.

The former is a constant, rolling process with the aim of compiling and maintaining accurate and complete registers (electors and absent voters). 

The latter is an occasional event - usually annual - where the registers are put to use. 

In registration, there is little scope for misdeed beyond falsely registering or failing to accurately register (for example, missing a member of a household to reduce Council Tax liability via Single Person Discount). 

IER was a sledgehammer to crack a nut but it has introduced on-line registration and, for nearly everyone, a simple process. It is certainly popular with younger voters. 

In the elections process, there is always the possibility of personation - a rarity and often attempted by the hard of thinking. 

Postal Vote fraud is more than a risk, it is a reality. “Farming” of postal votes has resulted in prosecutions and more should be done in terms of an absolute ban on the handling by party workers of postal vote applications and ballot papers. 

The problem is that absent voting has seen an increase in voter engagement and no party wants to disturb that. There may be better alternatives such as early voting.