More Tory lies

aussieh

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I actually am using that term. I think it sums up the extreme unionism that populates this board beautifully. 

One man's uncle tam is another man's swivel eyed loon/zealot/cultist/krankie.

Good effort on the easily offended front though 👍

Not offended .

Just find it ridiculous.

• Replies 27.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
19 minutes ago, Ked said:

Not offended .

Just find it ridiculous.

Which bit?

The fairly purile name calling or the 21st century Scot who still thinks that someone who's only life skill is having been lucky enough to have been born into someone else's money is intellectually superior and therefore should be shown subservience and deference towards?

Take your time. 

WorldChampions1902

The impact of all the lies surrounding the corrupt awarding of PPE contracts to their Tory chums in one graphic.

7B1443DF-EF7A-42DD-A28E-CA696B02B3FA.jpeg

Francis Albert

Some extreme Nationalists seem actually to think the the Scots oppression by the English and English Tories in particular is comparable to the history of oppression of black people and slaves in particular in the USA. So the use by them of the term Uncle Tam is for them appropriate.

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Some extreme Nationalists seem actually to think the the Scots oppression by the English and English Tories in particular is comparable to the history of oppression of black people and slaves in particular in the USA. So the use by them of the term Uncle Tam is for them appropriate.

Have I made it onto your 'extreme nationalist' list?

A red letter day. 

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Which bit?

The fairly purile name calling or the 21st century Scot who still thinks that someone who's only life skill is having been lucky enough to have been born into someone else's money is intellectually superior and therefore should be shown subservience and deference towards?

Take your time. 

The uncle tam bit.

The 21st century scot who you describe I've yet to meet and the self loathing stuff seems primarily to come from Scots who see themselves as victims.

There is a need for Scottish independence but it's not to free ourselves from the English but to free ourselves from blaming them.

So to that extent there is a mindset.

FWIW I really believe that Scotland can never reach its potential as part of the union.

But my reasoning I think comes from a different perspective to yours.

I view the barnett formula as a benefit trap and I believe Scotland as a country is more conservative than we like to think(not tory ).

Wrong thread perhaps for this.

I probably bit at your post a bit hard btw as I was watching the film on tv last night about Dr King .

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Have I made it onto your 'extreme nationalist' list?

A red letter day. 

I don't have a list. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The impact of all the lies surrounding the corrupt awarding of PPE contracts to their Tory chums in one graphic.

7B1443DF-EF7A-42DD-A28E-CA696B02B3FA.jpeg

The theft on a grand scale by the current government is met by a deafening silence from MSM.

Yes there are articles but it runs into billions.

One third of contracts awarded highlighted by anti corruption organisations as dodgy.

Not millions billions.

What a money grab covid was for some eh?

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Ked said:

The uncle tam bit.

The 21st century scot who you describe I've yet to meet and the self loathing stuff seems primarily to come from Scots who see themselves as victims.

There is a need for Scottish independence but it's not to free ourselves from the English but to free ourselves from blaming them.

So to that extent there is a mindset.

FWIW I really believe that Scotland can never reach its potential as part of the union.

But my reasoning I think comes from a different perspective to yours.

I view the barnett formula as a benefit trap and I believe Scotland as a country is more conservative than we like to think(not tory ).

Wrong thread perhaps for this.

I probably bit at your post a bit hard btw as I was watching the film on tv last night about Dr King .

It would appear from that reply that we agree on elements of the logic behind Scotland being independent.

For the record I don't blame the English for Scotland's ills. I blame the Scottish for doing nothing about it for the last 50 years or so. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I actually am using that term. I think it sums up the extreme unionism that populates this board beautifully. 

One man's uncle tam is another man's swivel eyed loon/zealot/cultist/krankie.

Good effort on the easily offended front though 👍

:greatpost:

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

:rofl: 

19 minutes ago, Ked said:

The theft on a grand scale by the current government is met by a deafening silence from MSM.

Yes there are articles but it runs into billions.

One third of contracts awarded highlighted by anti corruption organisations as dodgy.

Not millions billions.

What a money grab covid was for some eh?

Awfully easy to quarterback this after the fact. At the time the national narrative was spare no expense, money is no object, do what it takes.  I know first hand that the price of alcoholic hand gel and masks were increasing from one day to the next, I can only beginning to imagine what this meant for a health service (and government) that had failed to adequately prepare for this predictable eventuality. 

Do you have a link to stand up that 1/3 assertion, can see stuff suggesting there were process issues in up to 20% of cases but in terms of actual corruption I had been of the opinion that it was actually an extremely small proportion. Certainly wants looking at though though. Any thoughts that the MSM will do much heavy lifting on this are risible - folks simply don't want to pay for in depth analysis and investigative journalism any more - much easier to react to headlines and tweets.

Edited by Japan Jambo
correction

WorldChampions1902

All those “high wages and high-tech economy”, resulting from Brexit. Oh wait!! 
Brexit - the gift that just keeps on taking.

C3C60918-E1EF-4995-BECF-ED774B5BAAEC.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Awfully easy to quarterback this after the fact. At the time the national narrative was spare no expense, money is no object, do what it takes.  I know first hand that the price of alcoholic hand gel and masks were increasing from one day to the next, I can only beginning to imagine what this meant for a health service (and government) that had failed to adequately prepare for this predictable eventuality. 

Do you have a link to stand up that 1/3 assertion, can see stuff suggesting there were process issues in up to 20% of cases but in terms of actual corruption I had been of the opinion that it was actually an extremely small proportion. Certainly wants looking at though though. Any thoughts that the MSM will do much heavy lifting on this are risible - folks simply don't want to pay for in depth analysis and investigative journalism any more - much easier to react to headlines and tweets.

https://www.transparency.org.uk/track-and-trace-uk-PPE-procurement-corruption-risk-VIP-lane

18 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Not just the awarding but the awarding to companies with no track record in ppe supplies .

Products that were unusable.

Companies registered off shore.

The bypassing of usual procurement via civil servants to vip lanes.

The refusal by government to publish details of the dealings.

1 hour ago, Ked said:

Not just the awarding but the awarding to companies with no track record in ppe supplies . Found this breathtaking myself.

Products that were unusable. Don't pay if it didn't meet spec, think there were arguments over the specs though in one particular high profile case that Panorama highlighted.

Companies registered off shore. And? So are many multinationals!

The bypassing of usual procurement via civil servants to vip lanes. Think the criticism in this area is way, way too harsh given the situation we were in at the time. Normal supply chains were completely broken and I think there was a genuine effort from government officials to reach out to those around them for help in a national emergency. 

The refusal by government to publish details of the dealings. Heard Hancock making excuses on how they were too busy to get to comply with the normal regulations on this (managed to get to his assistant easily enough though), they've had time to catch up now though so it should all be there for scrutiny or questions should be raised as to why it isn't.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Always amuses me when some Nationalists describe Scotland as a colony of England when in fact  Scots were foremost among the colonists and industrial Scotland was developed on the fruits of colonialism from tobacco, jute, shipbuilding etc. 

Go on have another laugh!

jack D and coke
Just now, Francis Albert said:

Always amuses me when some Nationalists describe Scotland as a colony of England when in fact  Scots were foremost among the colonists and industrial Scotland was developed on the fruits of colonialism from tobacco, jute, shipbuilding etc. 

7463D660-BCAC-481F-9725-FF9128E1F7C7.jpeg

2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

It wasn't even a new policy.

It was a policy from 2019 which was dropped in 2020 and has now been reinstated in 2021, but at a worse level.

Konrad von Carstein
15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

At who's behest were Scots soldiers involved in the creation of the empire that  then led to rich folk making their fortunes (bigger) ?

Konrad von Carstein
20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

At who's behest were Scots soldiers involved in the creation of the empire that  then led to rich folk making their fortunes (bigger) ?

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I don't think that most Scots soldiers were coerced any more than most English or Welsh soldiers were.  And my point was not about soldiers specifically. Scottish people who ran businesses and industry or owned them  benefitted with a small trickle down to the rest. Just as in England. And of course the vast majority of English people shared the wealth of empire no more than the vast majority of Scots.

Edited by Francis Albert

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I don't think that most Scots soldiers were coerced any more than most English or Welsh soldiers were.  And my point was not about soldiers specifically. Scottish people who ran businesses and industry or owned them  benefitted with a small trickle down to the rest. Just as in England. And of course the vast majority of English people shared the wealth of empire no more than the vast majority of Scots.

Some people did fantastically well out of the union that can’t be denied. 
We’re talking about knocking a lot of their statues down now though. 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Some people did fantastically well out of the union that can’t be denied. 
We’re talking about knocking a lot of their statues down now though. 

Why? To reduce even further what little knowledge of our history remains? 

Nucky Thompson
9 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Future cabinet ministers.
They’ll throw a job or two to some privately educated pricks from up here to keep us in check. 
**** me man the more I look at these ***** the angrier I get :lol: 

I feel sorry for the good people of England who can’t escape the never ending nightmare of these types. 

Not all posh people are twats Jack.

The proper Toffs are brand new, well the ones I've done jobs for anyway.

It's the social climbers that you've got to watch, the ones who came from nothing who now look down on ordinary people.

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's the social climbers that you've got to watch, the ones who came from nothing who now look down on ordinary people.

Some toffs are great. Most people in general are great. 
I do however reject the little rodents in that picture that believe they’re here to rule. 
Young conservatives though ffs. Just stop it and go and get a ride. 

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Why? To reduce even further what little knowledge of our history remains? 

Yeah…yeah it’s just for that reason. 
The British govt only finished paying these slave traders off about 5 years ago!! 
They were still getting compensation….up till 2015!

Absolutely Incredible stuff. 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Some toffs are great. Most people in general are great. 
I do however reject the little rodents in that picture that believe they’re here to rule. 
Young conservatives though ffs. Just stop it and go and get a ride. 

Young Conservatives :lol:

Who even gets into politics at that age. 

Youngsters should be out enjoying themselves, not attending party political conferences.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah…yeah it’s just for that reason. 
The British govt only finished paying these slave traders off about 5 years ago!! 
They were still getting compensation….up till 2015!

Absolutely Incredible stuff. 

And as to my question?

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Youngsters should be out enjoying themselves, not attending party political conferences.

Exactly. You’d slap your bairn if they talked that kind of shite :lol: 

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yes I would agree that not all “ toffs “ are twats . Met a few in my Time and they have been fairly decent . Got a couple “ toff “ friends who are lovely and very forward thinking and progressive in their views . It isn’t their fault they were born with a silver spoon . As you say it’s the new ones who came from nothin who are the dodgey ones . Chips on their shoulder 

Edited by JamesM48

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Pathetically I was a member of the Edinburgh University Labour Club when Gordon Brown was its star and of the Earls Court branch of the Labour Party a year later. Between times I quite enjoyed myself. But of course the internet and social media did not impose on my time.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I would agree that not all “ toffs “ are twats . Met a few in my Time and they have been fairly decent . Got a couple “ toff “ friends who are lovely and very forward thinking and progressive in their views . It isn’t their fault they were born with a silver spoon . As you say it’s the new ones who came from nothin who are the dodgey ones . Chips on their shoulder 

You should send this into "Pseuds Corner". :rofl:

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You should send this into "Pseuds Corner". :rofl:

Stop being an inverted snob ! 

The UK’s main container ports are overwhelmed with unclaimed imports and starting to refuse the restitution of empty boxes urgently needed back in Asia.

And other North European ports are also heavily congested, but the acute HGV driver shortage in the UK has extended container dwell times significantly in past weeks, with the country’s main box hubs now “in danger of grinding to a complete halt”, according to one industry observer.

Yesterday, Felixstowe suspended the restitution of Evergreen, Maersk and CMA CGM empty returns.

Other carriers are also expected to be restricted by the port, but there is no indication as yet that there could be a blanket stop on receiving empty equipment, or that export deliveries could be halted.

In a customer advisory, Evergreen says the block on the return of its empties at Felixstowe was “due to the large volume of import containers coming into the port” against the backdrop of “a well-publicised national driver shortage”.

It added: “Import container dwell times are increasing as a result and causing port congestion.”

The carrier said that since the Felixstowe gate had closed, its restitution team had received “a surge of e-mail enquiries” and asked customers to “bear with us” while it processed them.

“Unfortunately, we have no choice but to temporarily direct all empty units to Tilbury, Liverpool, Teesport and the port of Tyne,” it said, adding that the drop-off locations were “subject to change”, and suggested that customers “contact our restitution team before returning any containers”.

Evergreen said it would contribute to the extra costs by waiving drop-off charges at the new locations, but shippers are being saddled with substantial additional wasted journey and additional haulage charges. Indeed, one forwarder told The Loadstar the extra cost was as much as £500 ($680) per box.

“Merchant hauliers are killing us, charging between £300 and £500 additional for redirecting the empty to another port,” he said.

Meanwhile, in a customer advisory today, Maersk says the empty stop at Felixstowe was due to “the high volume of empty containers on the terminal”, adding: “In giving you this information we hope to avoid further congestion and port congestion.

“We advise that you steer merchant haulage empty returns to London Gateway,” said the carrier, adding that it could also accommodate empty restitution at its feeder ports in the north of the country.

“We understand that this is far from ideal and continue to follow the situation closely with the port, and are looking at ways to reopen as soon as possible,” said Maersk.

Another forwarder said: “It’s getting worse at Felixstowe as the day goes on – now you can’t deliver boxes back there and hauliers are in the wrong places, which is also having further impact on tonight/tomorrow’s collections.

“It’s going very much ‘tits-up’ very rapidly, with knock-on effects causing greater disruption than the obvious congestion – it’s all being pushed back through the chain. This will be a major issue by next week, I suspect.”

The Loadstar understands that some carriers are now considering skipping UK port calls until the import backlog eases, overlanding containers at Rotterdam or Antwerp for eventual relay back to the UK.

The diversions and lengthy delays in relay will constitute a serious threat to the UK’s Christmas market.

The port of Felixstowe issued this statement to The Loadstar. “We have recently increased storage space available for empty containers and have been in constant dialogue with all our customers in recent weeks about increasing numbers of empty containers on port. Each customer knows what capacity is available within its own allocation and manages its stock accordingly.”

Meanwhile prime minister Boris Johnson yesterday denied there was a crisis, but also said that the UK’s “world leading” logistics industry could fix it.

But one UK forwarder said the prime minster was “deranged”.

“Bob the builder, I am not,” he added.

https://theloadstar.com/its-all-going-tits-up-at-uk-box-ports-and-despite-what-boris-says-we-cant-fix-it/

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The UK’s main container ports are overwhelmed with unclaimed imports and starting to refuse the restitution of empty boxes urgently needed back in Asia.

And other North European ports are also heavily congested, but the acute HGV driver shortage in the UK has extended container dwell times significantly in past weeks, with the country’s main box hubs now “in danger of grinding to a complete halt”, according to one industry observer.

Yesterday, Felixstowe suspended the restitution of Evergreen, Maersk and CMA CGM empty returns.

Other carriers are also expected to be restricted by the port, but there is no indication as yet that there could be a blanket stop on receiving empty equipment, or that export deliveries could be halted.

In a customer advisory, Evergreen says the block on the return of its empties at Felixstowe was “due to the large volume of import containers coming into the port” against the backdrop of “a well-publicised national driver shortage”.

It added: “Import container dwell times are increasing as a result and causing port congestion.”

The carrier said that since the Felixstowe gate had closed, its restitution team had received “a surge of e-mail enquiries” and asked customers to “bear with us” while it processed them.

“Unfortunately, we have no choice but to temporarily direct all empty units to Tilbury, Liverpool, Teesport and the port of Tyne,” it said, adding that the drop-off locations were “subject to change”, and suggested that customers “contact our restitution team before returning any containers”.

Evergreen said it would contribute to the extra costs by waiving drop-off charges at the new locations, but shippers are being saddled with substantial additional wasted journey and additional haulage charges. Indeed, one forwarder told The Loadstar the extra cost was as much as £500 ($680) per box.

“Merchant hauliers are killing us, charging between £300 and £500 additional for redirecting the empty to another port,” he said.

Meanwhile, in a customer advisory today, Maersk says the empty stop at Felixstowe was due to “the high volume of empty containers on the terminal”, adding: “In giving you this information we hope to avoid further congestion and port congestion.

“We advise that you steer merchant haulage empty returns to London Gateway,” said the carrier, adding that it could also accommodate empty restitution at its feeder ports in the north of the country.

“We understand that this is far from ideal and continue to follow the situation closely with the port, and are looking at ways to reopen as soon as possible,” said Maersk.

Another forwarder said: “It’s getting worse at Felixstowe as the day goes on – now you can’t deliver boxes back there and hauliers are in the wrong places, which is also having further impact on tonight/tomorrow’s collections.

“It’s going very much ‘tits-up’ very rapidly, with knock-on effects causing greater disruption than the obvious congestion – it’s all being pushed back through the chain. This will be a major issue by next week, I suspect.”

The Loadstar understands that some carriers are now considering skipping UK port calls until the import backlog eases, overlanding containers at Rotterdam or Antwerp for eventual relay back to the UK.

The diversions and lengthy delays in relay will constitute a serious threat to the UK’s Christmas market.

The port of Felixstowe issued this statement to The Loadstar. “We have recently increased storage space available for empty containers and have been in constant dialogue with all our customers in recent weeks about increasing numbers of empty containers on port. Each customer knows what capacity is available within its own allocation and manages its stock accordingly.”

Meanwhile prime minister Boris Johnson yesterday denied there was a crisis, but also said that the UK’s “world leading” logistics industry could fix it.

But one UK forwarder said the prime minster was “deranged”.

“Bob the builder, I am not,” he added.

https://theloadstar.com/its-all-going-tits-up-at-uk-box-ports-and-despite-what-boris-says-we-cant-fix-it/

The secondary issue which is choking the ports is that there are not enough customs inspectors (government) or customs clearing agents (commercial) to get the containers cleared for the non-existent HGV drivers to not pick them up. 

The lack of Customs officers is on the government. The government knew what would happen. They created the monster. 

I feel for the customs clearing agents as there was the capacity there to clear inbound goods before Brexit but now the paperwork required post Brexit has brought them to their knees.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The secondary issue which is choking the ports is that there are not enough customs inspectors (government) or customs clearing agents (commercial) to get the containers cleared for the non-existent HGV drivers to not pick them up. 

The lack of Customs officers is on the government. The government knew what would happen. They created the monster. 

I feel for the customs clearing agents as there was the capacity there to clear inbound goods before Brexit but now the paperwork required post Brexit has brought them to their knees.

I read somewhere that UK needs around 50,000 customs agents (apparently we have around 150 in the UK pre 2016 , so you can see the scale of the problem).

Part of the issue here is that businesses have been telling the government they needed to get on with brexit so that they could plan , recruit/train the necessary cutoms agents. Of couse, Johnson has been doing the opposite since 2016 (inbound checks now delayed until 2022) and UK business has been pointing they can't employ people who are then simply going to sit on their arses for years doing nothing. 

Also , the learning curve for "the 50,000" is going to be hard and even when they're in place the tap isn't going to be fully & effectively on for a long time. 

11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

:cornette:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

1DCD4E74-F20A-49D9-9E26-14CAB099FDD6.jpeg

Since when were iron men made of flab?

Decades of this kind of shit from the Tory tabloids have assisted in the crusade to turn people’s brains to mush. Brexit explained.

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, leginten said:

Since when were iron men made of flab?

Decades of this kind of shit from the Tory tabloids have assisted in the crusade to turn people’s brains to mush. Brexit explained.

:spoton:
It just seems to insane that some still swallow it though. Then use the same papers to vilify another🤪

Like her or not,  Thatcher's Iron Lady name was well earned as she was a tough customer who achieved desired outcomes from disputes and negotiations.  Giving that arsehole an Iron Man handle is a spectacular piece of unintended irony.  He's a political,  economic and societal vandal and nothing more.

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Telling it "how it is"

Just laughable. This is our national media…it’s ****ing wild man :lol: