More Tory lies

aussieh

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

How much would those 75,000  be contributing to public finances if they were not granted "non-dom" status?

There is enough information in the public domain to suggest that Murthy would be paying over £2m more in tax to the treasury instead of the £30,000 cost of being designated a "non dom"

I actually think you may be leaping too far on that - I suspect if the tax situation had been unfavourable to start with one could also argue they may have never have resettled here at all. Give the green card he may well have been planning a life in the US - all supposition of course. While I'm happy to comment/offer explanation on it I'm really not comfortable being associated with defending it.

I get the argument that if they all paid their way then there would theoretically be more in the pot, problem with that argument is that folk don't like paying taxes and if they have the wherewithal to legally avoid doing so they often will - look at our public figures and sportsmen with their service company/image rights/offshore arrangements. We laud the likes of Hamilton and Coulthard but the reality is they have done one to Monaco, nice weather I'll grant you but also very decent tax arrangements. Not just them though all sorts of wheezes are available.

• Replies 27.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

To put it simplistically; Pay your taxes in full and on time or GTF back to whence you came or whence you claim to be resident. 

Same goes for the likes of Amazon, Vodafone, BP and all the other chancing ****s who rip the pish.

No pay in the UK? No play in the UK.

You'd find the the tax system would be reformed tout de suite. 

point is they are paying what the rules say they should Thor...

Don't disagree that the rules need a good going over mind; perhaps if our legislative bodies actually parked the virtue signalling/squabbling and actually got round the table and tried to make some meaningful reforms (like we pay them to do) we may all benefit?

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

I actually think you may be leaping too far on that - I suspect if the tax situation had been unfavourable to start with one could also argue they may have never have resettled here at all.

The fact is that they all want to resident in the UK for their own personal reasons. They couldn't claim nom-dom status without being a resident of the UK. You are legally a resident for tax purposes in you spend more than 90 days in the Uk in any tax year.

They may have property here. They may have business interests here. Their children may have been born here or educated here. They may have other family connections here.

I'm not so sure that they would necessarily up sticks and leave en-masse.  I think that it would be more likely that they would seek to avoid tax by other means, which gets to the point that if they can avoid paying their share, then they will. It is primarily an option that is available to the super wealthy.

Just yesterday in the Times, Sajid Javid was seeking to justify his tax and domicile arrangements prior to becoming a minister. He went on to say that he felt that he had to pay his "fair share".  That in itself demonstrates that he wasn't paying his fair share prior to becoming part of the government.

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

point is they are paying what the rules say they should Thor...

Don't disagree that the rules need a good going over mind; perhaps if our legislative bodies actually parked the virtue signalling/squabbling and actually got round the table and tried to make some meaningful reforms (like we pay them to do) we may all benefit?

A relatively simple approach for the UK (as a 3rd country) would be to say to multi-national companies, that in order to operate, buy or sell in the UK, then they must create a UK registered company, though which all their UK related business is transacted and subject to regulatory standards, accounting and taxation. 

Footballfirst

Tory MP Crispin Blunt's response to Imran Ahmad Khan's conviction for sexual assault ................. WTF

https://www.blunt4reigate.com/news/statement-conviction-imran-ahmad-khan-mp

I am utterly appalled and distraught at the dreadful miscarriage of justice that has befallen my friend and colleague Imran Ahmad Khan, MP for Wakefield since December 2019.  His conviction today is nothing short of an international scandal, with dreadful wider implications for millions of LGBT+ muslims around the world.

I sat through some of the trial. The conduct of this case relied on lazy tropes about LGBT+ people that we might have thought we had put behind us decades ago.

As a former Justice Minister I was prepared to testify about the truly extraordinary sequence of events that has resulted in Imran being put through this nightmare start to his Parliamentary career.  

I hope for the return of Imran Ahmad Khan to the public service that has exemplified his life to date. Any other outcome will be a stain on our reputation for justice, and an appalling own goal by Britain as we try to take a lead in reversing the Victorian era prejudice that still disfigures too much of the global statute book.

Edit: Also see Khan's attempts to gag the media in relation to this case.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/uk_today_homepage/20061030.tory-mp-tried-gag-media-schoolboy-sexual-assault/

Edited by Footballfirst

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Tory MP Crispin Blunt's response to Imran Ahmad Khan's conviction for sexual assault ................. WTF

I am utterly appalled and distraught at the dreadful miscarriage of justice that has befallen my friend and colleague Imran Ahmad Khan, MP for Wakefield since December 2019.  His conviction today is nothing short of an international scandal, with dreadful wider implications for millions of LGBT+ muslims around the world.

I sat through some of the trial. The conduct of this case relied on lazy tropes about LGBT+ people that we might have thought we had put behind us decades ago.

As a former Justice Minister I was prepared to testify about the truly extraordinary sequence of events that has resulted in Imran being put through this nightmare start to his Parliamentary career.  

I hope for the return of Imran Ahmad Khan to the public service that has exemplified his life to date. Any other outcome will be a stain on our reputation for justice, and an appalling own goal by Britain as we try to take a lead in reversing the Victorian era prejudice that still disfigures too much of the global statute book.

Another one who needs his hard drive checked.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Another one who needs his hard drive checked.

The Tory HQ isn't happy with him either.

dobmisterdobster
8 hours ago, sadj said:

Ach well lets just not bother changing it. Take back womens votes at the same time too. Why not. Hark ya back to ye olde times or else….

Because there is nothing wrong with the existing non-dom laws. The overwhelming majority of European countries have the same policy.

No Labour or Tory government is going abolish it.

Most people didn't even know what Non-Domicile even meant before this week. Now, everybody is up in arms until they find something else to moan about.

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Edit: Also see Khan's attempts to gag the media in relation to this case.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/uk_today_homepage/20061030.tory-mp-tried-gag-media-schoolboy-sexual-assault/

Having read the articles he seems like a stand up guy. A second accuser came forward too?

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The Tory HQ isn't happy with him either.

Blunt's intervention is following the current Tory playbook to the letter.

They'd rather change the rules or change the law than change their behaviours. 

Rules and laws, just like taxes, are for little people. 

What's the Tory nonce count up to now?

manaliveits105
5 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Because there is nothing wrong with the existing non-dom laws. The overwhelming majority of European countries have the same policy.

Most people didn't even know what Non-Domicile even meant before this week. Now, everybody is up in arms until they find something else to moan about.

Fair comment 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Having read the articles he seems like a stand up guy. A second accuser came forward too?

Blunt's intervention is following the current Tory playbook to the letter.

They'd rather change the rules or change the law than change their behaviours. 

Rules and laws, just like taxes, are for little people. 

What's the Tory nonce count up to now?

One can only assume Blunt has raping children, too.

Footballfirst
9 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Fair comment 

There is a place for "non-dom laws".  The issue appears to be who is able to claim it, why and when.

I can understand it for people who are truly mobile for business reasons, but being resident in the UK with your family who are being educated here for anything beyond a year would suggest that you are already domiciled here.

Footballfirst

Stewart McDonald resigns as vice chair of a parliamentary group last night.

Followed this morning by a retraction from Blunt.

Edited by Footballfirst

Unknown user
9 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

That's pretty patronising to assume people didn't know what non doms are.

And there's plenty wrong with the existing non dom laws, paying 30k so you can live in the country and not pay tax, are you ****ing kidding me?

But you're a tory and in defend everything mode. Fair enough but it's your own future credibility you're harming, when they're out you'll be the guy that defended the indefensible til the bitter end.

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

That's pretty patronising to assume people didn't know what non doms are.

And there's plenty wrong with the existing non dom laws, paying 30k so you can live in the country and not pay tax, are you ****ing kidding me?

But you're a tory and in defend everything mode. Fair enough but it's your own future credibility you're harming, when they're out you'll be the guy that defended the indefensible til the bitter end.

that isn't how it works, you still pay tax on UK earnings. 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Who's talking about UK earnings?

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

That isn't how it works either when you take advantage of bilateral tax arrangements which mean that you can pay a lower tax rate in your country of domicile, because you are resident in the UK for tax purposes.

It's called playing the system and a loophole that should be closed.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

There is a place for "non-dom laws".  The issue appears to be who is able to claim it, why and when.

I can understand it for people who are truly mobile for business reasons, but being resident in the UK with your family who are being educated here for anything beyond a year would suggest that you are already domiciled here.

Indeed 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

That isn't how it works either when you take advantage of bilateral tax arrangements which mean that you can pay a lower tax rate in your country of domicile, because you are resident in the UK for tax purposes.

It's called playing the system and a loophole that should be closed.

What you said Sunak's wife was doing. 

The story may be more about her avoiding tax in India. 

HartleyLegend3
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Fines for Johnson and Sunak...

Not a hope in hell both can keep their jobs. 

What an absolute joke Westminster is. 

Just now, Sooperstar said:

No. Neither will.

I suspect you are right but they are finished politically. Only trouble is what Eton mess will take over 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Fully expect Johnson to deny he has been fined

As he’s a pathological liar he might.

Lord Montpelier

Really rips my knitting that these tossers felt it OK to party whilst the plebs were busy wearing face masks to go on outdoor country walks for our alloted 30 minutes within 5 miles or whatever nonsence they decreed. 

26 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

No. Neither will.

This sadly

18 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Fully expect Johnson to deny he has been fined

🤣

11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As he’s a pathological liar he might.

🤣

Got to go now. That’s unforgivable for a sitting PM and chancellor. What an actual embarrassment they both are. 

Gotta have an emergency recall of parliament and a no confidence vote. Surely Labour must smell blood here. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

What you said Sunak's wife was doing. 

The story may be more about her avoiding tax in India. 

She has almost certainly made choices about residency and domicile to minimise the tax she pays worldwide. So yes, she will reduce the tax paid in her chosen domicile. One assumes that to be India.

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Really rips my knitting that these tossers felt it OK to party whilst the plebs were busy wearing face masks to go on outdoor country walks for our alloted 30 minutes within 5 miles or whatever nonsence they decreed. 

Glad I just followed their “ orders “ for a specific length of time , bloody hypocrites . 

No way they're resigning.  It will be another round of bluster and bullshit.  World leading cost of living aid.  World leading ally of Ukraine.  World leading some other shite.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Victorian said:

No way they're resigning.  It will be another round of bluster and bullshit.  World leading cost of living aid.  World leading ally of Ukraine.  World leading some other shite.

But…but…but.

1) Only the PM can recall Parliament. This ain't happening for obvious reasons.

2) Needs 54 Tory MP's to send letters to the 1924 Committee to depose him as Leader.

3) Even if that does happen and a motion of no confidence is brought against Boris, 181 Tory MPs would have to vote to get rid.

There is no obvious successor in the Tory ranks right now, so neither of these will happen either.

4) The Opposition can call a vote of no confidence in the Government and force a General Election, but this needs Tory MPs to vote for the motion. Which won't happen.

5) The Queen dissolves Parliament on a whim and triggers a constitutional crisis. Nah, not happening.

What a wonderful democracy we live in, where having a majority means you can do anything, anything you want with zero comebacks.

Expect the line to be "Well, they're only fixed penalty notices, not a court conviction so they've not really been found guilty of anything really and don't you know there's a war on?"

Edited by Cade

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

1) Only the PM can recall Parliament. This ain't happening for obvious reasons.

2) Needs 54 Tory MP's to send letters to the 1924 Committee to depose him as Leader.

3) Even if that does happen and a motion of no confidence is brought against Boris, 181 Tory MPs would have to vote to get rid.

There is no obvious successor in the Tory ranks right now, so neither of these will happen either.

4) The Opposition can call a vote of no confidence in the Government and force a General Election, but this needs Tory MPs to vote for the motion. Which won't happen.

5) The Queen dissolves Parliament on a whim and triggers a constitutional crisis. Nah, not happening.

What a wonderful democracy we live in, where having a majority means you can do anything, anything you want with zero comebacks.

Expect the line to be "Well, they're only fixed penalty notices, not a court conviction so they've not really been found guilty of anything really and don't you know there's a war on?"

Tories bad, damn straight

Unknown user
Just now, doctor jambo said:

Should be enough to end Sunak, knives are out for him .

Not Bojo though 

No, but it should be.

The absolute nick of Westminster, it's beneath contempt

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Should be enough to end Sunak, knives are out for him .

Not Bojo though 

The scumbag is untouchable.