More Tory lies

aussieh

Pans Jambo
8 hours ago, CJGJ said:

As soon as things are clearer a huge building programme should start with an emphasis on social housing...private house demand will take while to recover after this crisis.

Although I agree we all know this wont happen under the tories. If it did, it would probably be a privately funded thing with a private company collecting rents. The rents would be "reasonable" to start with then deregulation in the sector would mean it would be cheaper getting a mortgage and the whole thing starts again...its the tory way.

• Replies 26.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never really got the owning property is good thing. As a Renter I can move whenever I want.

My life insurance will take care of my wife and weans.

Right to buy is biggest scandal to ever hit these shores. An attack on Councils, Unions and there are no mass apprenticeships anymore, leaving very little people with trade skills. And it helped Maggie's pals drive up the cost of rent.

Edited by ri Alban

Pans Jambo
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Right to buy is biggest scandal to ever hit these shores. An attack on Councils, Unions and there are no mass apprenticeships anymore, leaving very little people with trade skills. And it helped Maggie's pals drive up the cost of rent.

This is the real answer here.

I bought an ex-council house in 1993 so I benefited briefly (before I got divorced and left it to to the first Mrs PJ) but I seen the difficulty after I moved out of that house and I couldn't get a social home to rent. Back into my parent house for almost a year whilst I saved up for a deposit and a ridiculous monthly mortgage payment. So I have seen both sides of the argument.

Huge deposits to buy ridiculously expensive "starter" homes versus massive private rents...or stay with your parents. Some choice our young folks face nowadays.

East Lothian Jambo
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

7 day suspension - its hardly a Natalie McGarry scandal 

McGarry will be found not guilty at Retrial 

Nap 

It may have been Maggie that began the decimation of social housing stocks and the growth of the rental trap cycle but Labour did nothing to stop it over their 13 years in power.

If anything they made it worse.

Houses have become cash generators instead of family homes and millions of people are only one landlord's letter away from eviction.

Rents are now more expensive than monthly mortgage payments  but renters can't save up enough for a deposit due to their rents being so high.

Added to that, house prices are shoved upwards all the time due to housing being such a cash-cow; it's disgusting to see estate agents listing the "yield" as part of the property prospectus.

This further lifts housing out of reach for huge swathes of the renting population.

It's a national scandal and both parties are to blame for the situation.

Spitonastranger
18 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Are you still sore that Maggie shut down the mines :lol:

Take it you don't keep up to date with Politics including the misery and death the tory government has caused. Cognitive dissonance on your part i think.  

Ainsley Harriott
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I've never really got the owning property is good thing. As a Renter I can move whenever I want.

My life insurance will take care of my wife and weans.

Right to buy allowed lots of working class people to leave a nest egg for their kids as well as retire comfortably. When most people pay off their mortgage it's a decent step towards stopping work or cutting back their hours. 

manaliveits105
18 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Are you still sore that Maggie shut down the mines :lol:

It was Scargills fault :greggy:

Unknown user
8 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Right to buy allowed lots of working class people to leave a nest egg for their kids as well as retire comfortably. When most people pay off their mortgage it's a decent step towards stopping work or cutting back their hours. 

No one doubts it was good for a minority but social housing's not meant to be a vehicle for the upwardly mobile, an asset to be sold on, it's meant to he a public service. 

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

No one doubts it was good for a minority but social housing's not meant to be a vehicle for the upwardly mobile, an asset to be sold on, it's meant to he a public service. 

Yip! A wee old couple or widow or widower sitting in a  3/4/5 apartment house for 30  odd year, while a young family of 5 live in a 1 bedroom flat at a price they can't afford just so the people can have something to sell when they're dead. Some life.

14 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Better wages is the key to all that, not the sell off of public property.

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

My folks bought their old corpey house and in their late 60's are now mortgage free. Both still work, so for the first time in their lives have a bit of disposable income and can afford the odd holiday.

The extra couple of bedrooms means that one granchild lives with them full time, and the others can stay over whenever required. This saves a fortune on childcare and has allowed the rest of us to try and get on a bit. We all still consider it the family home.

Many of the ex council houses where I live have been massively upgraded with extensions, loft conversions, garden rooms, etc. 

In my opinion the scandal wasn't allowing folk to buy their council house, it was not building more to replace the aging stock that was sold off.

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My folks bought their old corpey house and in their late 60's are now mortgage free. Both still work, so for the first time in their lives have a bit of disposable income and can afford the odd holiday.

The extra couple of bedrooms means that one granchild lives with them full time, and the others can stay over whenever required. This saves a fortune on childcare and has allowed the rest of us to try and get on a bit. We all still consider it the family home.

Many of the ex council houses where I live have been massively upgraded with extensions, loft conversions, garden rooms, etc. 

In my opinion the scandal wasn't allowing folk to buy their council house, it was not building more to replace the aging stock that was sold off.

Yes got to agree with you there the money raised from the sales should have been used to build replacement social houses. The new system of asking house builders to build a few whenever a new development is under way doesn't work. 

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Better wages is the key to all that, not the sell off of public property.

Higher wages just makes things more expensive for everyone not always increasing the standard of living. Although our national average salary is low at £28k but I suspect that's a lot higher in the Edinburgh area where most of us likely are.

Thunderstruck
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Yip! A wee old couple or widow or widower sitting in a  3/4/5 apartment house for 30  odd year, while a young family of 5 live in a 1 bedroom flat at a price they can't afford just so the people can have something to sell when they're dead. Some life.

You could suggest a tax to encourage downsizing but be careful not to call it the “Bedroom Tax” - that didn’t go down too well. 

dobmisterdobster

Ask local councils in Scotland why they haven't been building new social housing.

Unknown user
54 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

You could suggest a tax to encourage downsizing but be careful not to call it the “Bedroom Tax” - that didn’t go down too well. 

What does that do to increase social housing stock?

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

Bedroom tax was designed to clear London for Boris to sell to his mates.

Maybe something in the lease, instead.

Does bedroom tax affect house owners?

Edited by ri Alban

Thunderstruck
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I wasn’t referring to the Bedroom Tax (The under-occupancy adjustment to Housing Benefit) but suggesting that Fiscal Pressure might ‘encourage’ the your suggested downsizing by Empty-Nesters thus freeing-up larger houses for larger families. 

A fault with the Bedroom Tax was the stress it would impose on Senior Citizens who might not have suitable, smaller accommodation to rent without moving away from family and friends.

Any actions designed to pressure owners into moving are likely to be unpopular and electorally damaging. 

7 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I wasn’t referring to the Bedroom Tax (The under-occupancy adjustment to Housing Benefit) but suggesting that Fiscal Pressure might ‘encourage’ the your suggested downsizing by Empty-Nesters thus freeing-up larger houses for larger families. 

A fault with the Bedroom Tax was the stress it would impose on Senior Citizens who might not have suitable, smaller accommodation to rent without moving away from family and friends.

Any actions designed to pressure owners into moving are likely to be unpopular and electorally damaging. 

👍 

If we could make it the natural thinking?

Thunderstruck
38 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

👍

If we could make it the natural thinking?

There is a natural pressure to move. Cost, Infirmity, Loneliness, Weather. 

Balanced against that is a social cost that prevents movement. Family and Friends, for example. Family ties are a huge part of that especially with grandparents providing “free” childcare. 

People are also working longer so, upping sticks might be difficult. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Was it ****? It was at least two decades too late for that. The bedroom tax was a late addition to the process of the residualisation of Council house started by Thatcher in her early years. I hoped Grenfell would be the end of it but alas I continue to underestimate the callousness of the capitalist property developers. What amazes me was how little the Blair govt. at Westminster or Labour and SNP administrations at Holyrood did/are doing to alleviate the impact of this policy.

As a footnote, if you bought a council home you are a ***** with blood on your hands, but I do understand why small minded people allow themselves to be bought off cheaply.

2 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Ask local councils in Scotland why they haven't been building new social housing.

See if you engaged your brain before picking up your crayons you would know that Scotland already build far more social housing than your lord and masters in Westminster

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
19 minutes ago, XB52 said:

See if you engaged your brain before picking up your crayons you would know that Scotland already build far more social housing than your lord and masters in Westminster

I agree, lots been built in Dalkeith (Salters/Woodburn) recently.

2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

There is a natural pressure to move. Cost, Infirmity, Loneliness, Weather. 

Balanced against that is a social cost that prevents movement. Family and Friends, for example. Family ties are a huge part of that especially with grandparents providing “free” childcare. 

People are also working longer so, upping sticks might be difficult. 

Agreed, but surely they could find smaller house in the same street.

Ainsley Harriott
25 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Except that's just a made up lie. Did you check those facts or just make them up? 

36 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Was it ****? It was at least two decades too late for that. The bedroom tax was a late addition to the process of the residualisation of Council house started by Thatcher in her early years. I hoped Grenfell would be the end of it but alas I continue to underestimate the callousness of the capitalist property developers. What amazes me was how little the Blair govt. at Westminster or Labour and SNP administrations at Holyrood did/are doing to alleviate the impact of this policy.

As a footnote, if you bought a council home you are a ***** with blood on your hands, but I do understand why small minded people allow themselves to be bought off cheaply.

I agree with most of what you've said. But Boris was instrumental in the Bedroom tax as Major of London.

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I agree with most of what you've said. But Boris was instrumental in the Bedroom tax as Major of London.

He was. I like the idea of Major of London too. I should get that job.

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

He was. I like the idea of Major of London too. I should get that job.

:D decking predictive text:jj_facepalm:

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Except that's just a made up lie. Did you check those facts or just make them up? 

From your lord and masters government figures

In terms of supply, there were 60,000 affordable homes supplied (built, bought or rehabilitated) between April 2017 and March 2018, with the best available data suggesting Scotland comparatively supplied the most affordable homes per person (16 homes per 10,000 people).

Ainsley Harriott
9 hours ago, XB52 said:

In terms of supply, there were 60,000 affordable homes supplied (built, bought or rehabilitated) between April 2017 and March 2018, with the best available data suggesting Scotland comparatively supplied the most affordable homes per person (16 homes per 10,000 people).

Per 10000 people. So when you said we built more social houses we actually didn't. 

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Per 10000 people. So when you said we built more social houses we actually didn't. 

You can per population when suits you. If Scotland builds say 20000 and England build 100000 , Scotland has built more even tho it's less. But nice try Ains!

Ainsley Harriott
14 hours ago, XB52 said:

Affordable homes and social housing are 2 different things. Affordable homes it's just a nonsense made up term. Every house if affordable otherwise nobody would buy them.

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Affordable homes and social housing are 2 different things. Affordable homes it's just a nonsense made up term. Every house if affordable otherwise nobody would buy them.

Affordable homes are homes sold at the price they should be sold. The other fools with money buy the same shite with a name tag.

Ainsley Harriott
45 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Affordable homes are homes sold at the price they should be sold. The other fools with money buy the same shite with a name tag.

I thought they were low priced homes builders used as a sweetener to get planning permission. If for example a home is far larger and in an excellent school catchment then it is worth more and you will make your money back. 

maroonlegions

Tories the NHS is safe in our back pockets, eh, sorry, safe in our snouts, eh, safe in our grasp, eh, ah, safe in our hands..

95748481_3505072132843025_1101723819401281536_n.jpg

Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Cannot think of any other political party in this country, that harbours ,such horrible and deeply insidious   individuals  like Hancock within their party  or  indeed has such a ****  of a senior government minister  like a one  Mr Hancock.

This man is deeply horrible and lacks all human empathy. 

He is also a serial liar like his master Boris.

His reaction when faced with a hell of a question posed to him revealed his true face , his mask was off his face.

A right nasty piece of shit.

Matt Hancock blasted for telling female Labour MP to 'watch her tone'

"Celebrities weighed into the fallout and savaged Mr Hancock Chef Nigella Lawson, whose father Nigel was Chancellor of the Exchequer under Margaret Thatcher, added: 'There was absolutely nothing wrong with your tone.'

Film producer Jemima Goldsmith, sister of.Zac Goldsmith who was married to Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan, said online: 'Your tone @DrRosena was entirely reasonable and measured"

Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions

And the Tories cry "dont politicize this pandemic".. The fecking irony as yet again their masters are found to be utterly  incompandant and liars.

96140664_1873424392789773_4252693105431543808_n.jpg

The health secretary never said the words “watch her tone” he said “she should take a leaf out of the Shadow Secretary’s text book in terms of tone” 

If you or anyone is going to quote someone get it right first. 

2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

The health secretary never said the words “watch her tone” he said “she should take a leaf out of the Shadow Secretary’s text book in terms of tone” 

If you or anyone is going to quote someone get it right first. 

Aye but... 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Aye but... 

aye but what? 

Quote what the man said not what you want him to have said to suit your narrative. 

Just now, Cade said:

Are you trying to say that he wasn't criticising her tone?

:cornette:

No I’m not. It’s miss quoting what he Actually said. He never told her to “watch her tone” did he? 
Read my post before you pile in.

jack D and coke

All feels distasteful just now tbh. 
Cant we leave all this stuff until we’re back? Scoring political points doesn’t sit right with me atm. 

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

All feels distasteful just now tbh. 
Cant we leave all this stuff until we’re back? Scoring political points doesn’t sit right with me atm. 

It is. I agree with you. It’s just riles me people don’t actually listen to or read the words and follow the crowd in throwing stones. 
As an aside I think the Government were slow in reacting to this Pandemic. It could well have saved lives if they reacted quicker. We will no doubt find out in the fullness of time. 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

It is. I agree with you. It’s just riles me people don’t actually listen to or read the words and follow the crowd in throwing stones. 
As an aside I think the Government were slow in reacting to this Pandemic. It could well have saved lives if they reacted quicker. We will no doubt find out in the fullness of time. 

Possibly. 
It would be nice if we could all stop this playground shite until we’re back.
Snp this Tory that it’s chronic man. 

1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

No I’m not. It’s miss quoting what he Actually said. He never told her to “watch her tone” did he? 
Read my post before you pile in.

He inferred it, and Dr Khan certainly thinks that was what he meant:

Instead of answering the question, he complained about her tone.

No other way about it.