More Tory lies

aussieh

maroonlegions

Capitalism nailed.

No photo description available.

In essence the fisherman said feck off, i will decide what i do with my life. 

• Replies 26.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Capitalism nailed.

No photo description available.

In essence the fisherman said feck off, i will decide what i do with my life. 

Capitalism has to be destroyed. Growth is killing everything!

Image may contain: 2 people, text

Oh the irony.:gok:

The only irony is that paper is over twa years auld.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:
Image may contain: 2 people, text

Oh the irony.:gok:

I'm afraid that my overriding memories of the 70's are.

Mass Unemployment

Power Cuts

3 Day week

Mass Industrial Action/Strikes

Rubbish piling up on the streets

The dead not getting buried

The Winter of Discontent

So If it's alright by you, I think I'll give all that a miss, been through all that shit once, don't fancy going through it again, no thank you.

26 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mass Unemployment

Your mind is playing tricks on you there.

Related image

Power Cuts

3 Day week

A Tory Government if my history is correct?

True, a constant in the 1970's.  Not sure you would have that now though, not least due to current legislation.

The Winter of Discontent

Those two were part of the winter of discontent so not really three individual things, rather what happened during one of them.  Not good things, but it's not like this was happening throughout the 1970's.

So If it's alright by you, I think I'll give all that a miss, been through all that shit once, don't fancy going through it again, no thank you.

Definitely if means what happened next were to happen again!

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Boris said:

The unemploymernt rate in 1978 was between 5%-6%, the first time since the 30's that it had reached that high, remember the poster & slogan 'Labour isn't working' and the long dole queue, now unemployment continued to rise well into the 80's, however it's upward trajectory had started in the late 70's.

Related image

True but I never said who was in charge, nor did the headline say anything either, it was just on about returning back to the 70's.

True, a constant in the 1970's.  Not sure you would have that now though, not least due to current legislation.

Couldn't happen nowadays, too many laws now.

Not saying any of that would happen again, merely saying that these things were what I remember happened.

19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The headline was saying Corbyn would take us back to the 70's, wasn't it?  Just making the point that the 70's weren't down to the Labour Party!

Regards unemployment, it's interesting (by that graph) that it took 30 years to get unemployment back to 1979 levels.

1 hour ago, Boris said:

Related image

Those two were part of the winter of discontent so not really three individual things, rather what happened during one of them.  Not good things, but it's not like this was happening throughout the 1970's.

Fecking Thatcher!

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Boris said:

The headline was saying Corbyn would take us back to the 70's, wasn't it?  Just making the point that the 70's weren't down to the Labour Party!

Regards unemployment, it's interesting (by that graph) that it took 30 years to get unemployment back to 1979 levels.

The 70's were a messed up decade irrespective whether it was the Tories or Labour in charge, but I didn't single out any one party for criticism because the 70's for me means the whole of the 70's not just parts but 1970-1979 and all the shit that happened inbetween, so if Corbyn wants to return Britain back to the 70's and for me that means the whole decade, then, like I've said no thank you.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The 70's were a messed up decade irrespective whether it was the Tories or Labour in charge, but I didn't single out any one party for criticism because the 70's for me means the whole of the 70's not just parts but 1970-1979 and all the shit that happened inbetween, so if Corbyn wants to return Britain back to the 70's and for me that means the whole decade, then, like I've said no thank you.

Fair enough.  Except he doesn't.

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, Boris said:

So the headline's a lie, just paper talk, fair enough I can live with that.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Pretty much I'd say.  I get they don't like him or his policies, but the headline is hyperbolic at best.  IMO, of course! ?

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Headline was from the Daily Mail............what part of you thought a headline from that paper could be true..madness

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

The Headline was from the Daily Mail............what part of you thought a headline from that paper could be true..madness

Surely your not trying to tell me that the Daily Mail is any different or worse than any other newspaper.

Imo it would be utter sheer madness to believe one newspaper over any other newspaper or to slate one over another, because every last one of them has an agenda to propagate, every last one of them tell the odd porky or two from time to time as and when it suits their agenda, so in that aspect the Daily Mail is no different from any of the other newspapers, as they are all as bad as each other, imo of course.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Probation services to be re-nationalized after Grayling's disastrous privatization

A phone call every six weeks. Scandalous.

Unknown user
On 06/05/2019 at 16:39, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Surely your not trying to tell me that the Daily Mail is any different or worse than any other newspaper.

Imo it would be utter sheer madness to believe one newspaper over any other newspaper or to slate one over another, because every last one of them has an agenda to propagate, every last one of them tell the odd porky or two from time to time as and when it suits their agenda, so in that aspect the Daily Mail is no different from any of the other newspapers, as they are all as bad as each other, imo of course.

I don't mind telling you that the daily mail is worse than most in the UK.

Only one title in the UK fell foul of the independent fact checker employed by Microsoft, which gives a warning when you visit sites that can be proven to report lies.

"Proceed with caution: this website generally fails to maintain basic standards of accuracy and accountability"

maroonlegions
On 06/05/2019 at 12:42, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mass Unemployment

Power Cuts

3 Day week

The Winter of Discontent

And you think its better now.Try telling that to the poor and those IN WORK visiting food banks,  what about over worked nurses and doctors, teachers saying school funding is beyond a joke. What  about those who have DIED because of the inhumane Tory welfare reforms that cause people to wait up to FIVE weeks with no money, having  feck all. And the Tory draconian  attacks on those  welfare reforms  aimed at those with physical and mental disabilities. What about rise in homelessness , record numbers, Grenfell residents still not rehomed. Wage rise stagnation for TEN YEARS.  Oh and the Tory calamity that is BREXIT. Could also add in the Tory Austerity  that has NOT helped the poor. NHS is not save in today's Tory hands, just ask Mr Hunt.

So if its alright by you i would love to have your luxury of giving the last ten years of Tory Austerity attacks on the poor i miss.

Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions
On 06/05/2019 at 15:28, Boris said:

:thumbsup:

Tories still trying the 70s cop out and blaming everything thing today on Labours past records .:jj_facepalm:

Governor Tarkin

And you think its better now.Try telling that to the poor and those IN WORK visiting food banks,  what about over worked nurses and doctors, teachers saying school funding is beyond a joke. What  about those who have DIED because of the inhumane Tory welfare reforms that cause people to wait up to FIVE weeks with no money, having  feck all. And the Tory draconian  attacks on those  welfare reforms  aimed at those with physical and mental disabilities. What about rise in homelessness , record numbers, Grenfell residents still not rehomed. Wage rise stagnation for TEN YEARS.  Oh and the Tory calamity that is BREXIT. Could also add in the Tory Austerity  that has NOT helped the poor. NHS is not save in today's Tory hands, just ask Mr Hunt.

So if its alright by you i would love to have your luxury of giving the last ten years of Tory Austerity attacks on the poor i miss.

I've done rather tidily over the last ten years of Conservative (show some respect and give them their correct name please) austerity.

Looking forward to the next ten TBQFHWY.

Should be lots of home re-possessions going to auction that we can snap up on the cheap and add to our slum landlord portfolio.

Maybe if folk spent less time positong ill informed, poorly copy-and-pasted, lefty memes on the internet and instead knuckled down to the hard work of taking responsibility for their lives, we might realise Thatchers dream of an upwardly mobile, entrepreneurial, working class.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

will-i-am-a-jambo
14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've done rather tidily over the last ten years of Conservative (show some respect and give them their correct name please) austerity.

Looking forward to the next ten TBQFHWY.

Should be lots of home re-possessions going to auction that we can snap up on the cheap and add to our slum landlord portfolio.

Maybe if folk spent less time positong ill informed, poorly copy-and-pasted, lefty memes on the internet and instead knuckled down to the hard work of taking responsibility for their lives, we might realise Thatchers dream of an upwardly mobile, entrepreneurial, working class.

Typical 'I'm alright Jack and f@ck the rest of you' attitude the Tories promote unless this was meant as a joke?

May god help you if you lose your job through no fault of your own and can't pay the bills.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

I don't mind telling you that the daily mail is worse than most in the UK.

Only one title in the UK fell foul of the independent fact checker employed by Microsoft, which gives a warning when you visit sites that can be proven to report lies.

"Proceed with caution: this website generally fails to maintain basic standards of accuracy and accountability"

Yeh, remember seeing something about that.

Jambo-Jimbo

And did I say it was better now, no I didn't but you bash on, I'm sure it'll make you feel better having a rant about the Tories, but when it comes to the NHS or Education or welfare reforms, you could look back 20, 30 40 years ago and the same compaints and arguements were being made then as well, there always seems to be a lack of funding in the NHS or Education, hell they were moaning about a lack of funding in the 70's when I was at school, so nothing much changes over the years, same old shit just different people in charge.

Unknown user
37 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, remember seeing something about that.

IIRC they got a 1 star rating, same as the Kremlin controlled RT!

In this day and age we should know all papers have an editorial agenda and all papers report things in a way that suits that agenda, as you say. 

Not all papers are such blatant, repeated, proven liars though.

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

IIRC they got a 1 star rating, same as the Kremlin controlled RT!

In this day and age we should know all papers have an editorial agenda and all papers report things in a way that suits that agenda, as you say. 

Not all papers are such blatant, repeated, proven liars though.

I don't think that In this day and age has much to do with newspapers having an agenda, haven't they been telling lies and manipulating the truth for decades and decades. 

Maybe the Daily Mail is perceived as the worst right now, but I'm pretty sure someone else would have held that mantle in days gone by, in other words they all have done and continue to lie to suit their own agenda.

Governor Tarkin
56 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

May god help you if you lose your job through no fault of your own and can't pay the bills.

The only god I worship is the chap who looks after our investments in the British Virgin Islands. 

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

The only god I worship is the chap who looks after our investments in the British Virgin Islands. 

I know a chap in Nigeria who can get you a much higher return rate, I just need one or two wee details to get you started. ?

will-i-am-a-jambo
10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

As long as you're happy mate and your conscience is clear.

ps let's hope you won't have to dip into your investments if you ever have to. Some people don't have that luxury to fall back on  as they can't afford to put food on the table never mind sticking money aside for a rainy day.

maroonlegions
51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And did I say it was better now, no I didn't but you bash on, I'm sure it'll make you feel better having a rant about the Tories, but when it comes to the NHS or Education or welfare reforms, you could look back 20, 30 40 years ago and the same compaints and arguements were being made then as well, there always seems to be a lack of funding in the NHS or Education, hell they were moaning about a lack of funding in the 70's when I was at school, so nothing much changes over the years, same old shit just different people in charge.

Total cop out.

You did by your response make out that its better now, was it not you who listed things that were wrong in the 70s, i responded by reminding you thats its WORSE for MANY people, in work or out of it since the 70s.  Even a  UN investigation regarding poverty in the UK linked it to a direct result of TORY Austerity and welfare policies. Seems you are living in the past.

Flabbergasted that you are trying to compare the NHS in the70s to the present day, nothing changes over the years you say, so the rich have not got richer and the poor not poorer since the 70s. Its not a rant about the Tories is FACTS mate.Facts that 10 years of TORY AUSTERITY and welfare reforms have pushed people into EXTREME poverty  including those in WORK.In fact the % has RISEN since the 70s . 

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I know a chap in Nigeria who can get you a much higher return rate, I just need one or two wee details to get you started. ?

:interehjrling:

Tell me more... 

maroonlegions
22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

:jj_facepalm:

All that is wrong with Tory Britain. 

Tax avoidance by those who should pay it ,to the greedy work shy dole scroungers, perspectives seem redundant there. Who are the true parasites , a  NHS nurse scraping  by or UK tax avoiding  wankers in the Virgin islands, just no morals at all, in fact vile self serving cowards . That is were the REAL money is that should be paying for better schools for kids, better funding for social housing  , police and the NHS, in fact a better life for a lot of kids and low paid workers . Mind you making a joke out of such scant  UK tax avoidance and all its repercussions is never a manly thing to be proud of, would go as far to say that no real man would boast about it either.

Image may contain: 1 person, text
Edited by maroonlegions

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Some people don't have that luxury to fall back on  as they can't afford to put food on the table never mind sticking money aside for a rainy day.

They've nobody but themselves to blame for not better engaging in a life of predatory and exploitative business dealings, nepotism, and tax avoidance.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Vile self serving cowards . 

Wealthy vile self serving cowards, if you don't mind. 

:verysmug:

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Wealthy vile self serving cowards, if you don't mind. 

:verysmug:

Weirdos more like if you dont mind. Man not.

Image may contain: 1 person

Edited by maroonlegions

John Findlay

So people are poorer. I grew up in Royston/West Pilton 1963-1979. I could play football in the street in those schemes as there was hardly a car on the street. Bairns can't do that nowadays as the streets of these schemes are crammed with cars. Now correct me if I am wrong but these two schemes are not seen as the most prosperous in Edinburgh. If the people are poor. How come the majority that live there have cars?

will-i-am-a-jambo
17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

They've nobody but themselves to blame for not better engaging in a life of predatory and exploitative business dealings, nepotism, and tax avoidance.

So let's just throw them on the scrap heap to rot! Maybe some people don't have the same opportunities that others enjoy. Maybe they have a disability that doesnt help them to achieve their aims or are suffering from mental health issues or are completely incapacitated and unable to do so. Maybe they are capable but aren't getting paid correctly or maybe their being exploited? Maybe they don't know how to better themselves and are stuck in positions? That is not entirely their fault is it?

I hope you never find yourself in such a position but just imagine you were? How do you think you would want to be treated? Don't you think you would want be helped by others that show some kind of compassion?

This is a difficult world to live in and would be a hell of lot nicer if people showed kindness and compassion now and again instead of trampling over the weak and vulnerable just to make a few more quid that they don't even need but do so just because they can.

ps l think your actually taking the piss and making a parody?

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

So people are poorer. I grew up in Royston/West Pilton 1963-1979. I could play football in the street in those schemes as there was hardly a car on the street. Bairns can't do that nowadays as the streets of these schemes are crammed with cars. Now correct me if I am wrong but these two schemes are not seen as the most prosperous in Edinburgh. If the people are poor. How come the majority that live there have cars?

People, in general, are materially better off than they were when you were a nipper, John.

Expectations, however, are also very much higher.

For previous generations consumerism was a privilege. Today's generations see it as a right.

Capitalism breeds us that way.

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

ps l think your actually taking the piss and making a parody?

I am a bit, mate. Sorry if I got your back up. ?

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

People, in general, are materially better off than they were when you were a nipper, John.

Expectations, however, are also very much higher.

For previous generations consumerism was a privilege. Today's generations see it as a right.

Capitalism breeds us that way.

Excellent point. I believe as a society we should only have what we really need and use resources carefully and as and when we need them not to be exploited and over used such as how we have been brought up thus far. And lm as guilty as the next person. 

Poverty is is also relative, a person in poverty in the UK is completely different to someone who is in poverty in other parts of the world such as lndia. Now that's real poverty!

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I am a bit, mate. Sorry if I got your back up. ?

Lol no worries my fault for jumping in with two feet! I get what your saying now.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Excellent point. I believe as a society we should only have what we really need and use resources carefully and as and when we need them not to be exploited and over used such as how we have been brought up thus far. And lm as guilty as the next person. 

Poverty is is also relative, a person in poverty in the UK is completely different to someone who is in poverty in other parts of the world such as lndia. Now that's real poverty!

Agreed. I don't know what age you are, mate, but when I was growing up in the high-rises in the 70's and 80's we were all properly skint.

I remember my dad (tradesman) being in and out of work as this company went bust or that company was laying off.

Mum out cleaning Doctors surgeries a couple of nights a week and waitressing the others.

In the winter all the kids would stay at the house of whichever one of our parents friend could afford the heating that week.

Having to be quiet because the Provvy man was at the door.

Nobody had cars. Nobody had phones. Holidays were at your Aunties in Stonehaven.

We had **** all but folk looked after each other.

As kids we loved it because we were a big extended family. Can't have been much fun for our parents though.

But you're absolutely right, poverty is relative. Im typing this from Dakar in Senegal, and through my window right now I can see poverty much worse than anything most of us posting on Kickback tonight are ever likely to experience.

will-i-am-a-jambo
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Agreed. I don't know what age you are, mate, but when I was growing up in the high-rises in the 70's and 80's we were all properly skint.

I remember my dad (tradesman) being in and out of work as this company went bust or that company was laying off.

Mum out cleaning Doctors surgeries a couple of nights a week and waitressing the others.

In the winter all the kids would stay at the house of whichever one of our parents friend could afford the heating that week.

Nobody had cars. Nobody had phones. Holidays were at your Aunties in Stonehaven.

As kids we loved it because we were a big extended family. Can't have been much fun for our parents though.

But you're absolutely right, poverty is relative. Im typing this from Dakar in Senegal, and through my window right now I can see poverty much worse than anything most of us posting on Kickback tonight are ever likely to experience.

Was born in the late 70s so not far off you mate but was very fortunate to be brought up by reasonably well-off parents. We weren't rich but we weren't poor either. My dad was a lecturer at Queen Matagaret College and my mum looked after us at home (she later had a part time job) but we were always brought up to think about others that were less fortunate and l try to carry that on with my own child.

Sounds like you had a mixed up-bringing, on the one hand you didnt have material possessions but that didn't matter as you were brought up in a community atmosphere. It's sad that a lot of that has gone now but there's no reason why it couldn't return. I know a lot of the communities were decimated because of Thathchers policies in the 80s (that were really a reflection of Reagans politics in the US) and l know a lot of blame lies there although l accept it's probably more complicated than that.

Its funny you mention about cars and phones. I talk to my  5 yr old all the time how we grew up with no mobiles, no internet and we didn't have a car for much of my childhood too and she struggles to get her head round that. I showed her a picture of the street l grew up in and it showed maybe 300-500 yards of street and there were literally 2 cars parked on it, if you go there now you struggle to find a parking space as its chocked full of cars.

re poverty elsewhere, the worse thing l saw was in lndia, children begging and adults going round on skateboards with no legs pushing with there arms as they couldn't afford a wheelchair and because there is no welfare state to look after them. But do you know what, l met probably the most happiest people l've ever met in my life, they literally had nothing and they would come up to you and give you food, it was very humbling. We in the UK could learn a lot from the Indians about sense of community.

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The decade before in the 60's was similar.

We never had a fridge until the 70's, the TV you put money in it for it to work, if my parents didn't have any money the TV wasn't on, same for the electric meter, can remember the house being so cold that there was ice on the inside of the windows, as the only source of heating was a coal fire in the living room.

Food, nothing was wasted, you couldn't afford to waste anything.

Clothes were often hand me downs, my brother or older cousins had worn them before I got them.

Folks of today have absolutley no idea about how things were like back then.

You are right about nobody having feck all, most people didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together, yeh we were poor but so was the whole street, nobody had anything, everybody was in the same boat, but I also think we were happier than today's kids, maybe because nobody had nothing there wasn't the same pressure to keep up with your mates, whereas nowadays they seem to have to have the latest designer gear or the latest gadget, we as kids never had that problem.

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The decade before in the 60's was similar.

We never had a fridge until the 70's, the TV you put money in it for it to work, if my parents didn't have any money the TV wasn't on, same for the electric meter, can remember the house being so cold that there was ice on the inside of the windows, as the only source of heating was a coal fire in the living room.

Food, nothing was wasted, you couldn't afford to waste anything.

Clothes were often hand me downs, my brother or older cousins had worn them before I got them.

Folks of today have absolutley no idea about how things were like back then.

You are right about nobody having feck all, most people didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together, yeh we were poor but so was the whole street, nobody had anything, everybody was in the same boat, but I also think we were happier than today's kids, maybe because nobody had nothing there wasn't the same pressure to keep up with your mates, whereas nowadays they seem to have to have the latest designer gear or the latest gadget, we as kids never had that problem.

I can relate to most of that.

Yet I remember fantastic times in my childhood.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I can relate to most of that.

Yet I remember fantastic times in my childhood.

I would think that many on here can relate to how tough life was for some growing up in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

And this is the point I've been trying to make, a point which seems to me is being completely ignored by one particular poster.

Yes there is poverty in the UK right now, yes there is homelessness, yes there are welfare reforms, yes there is crisis in the NHS, in Education, in social care and so on and so forth, but 10, 20 30, 40, 50+ years ago there was still poverty in the UK, there were still people living on the streets, there has near enough always been a funding crisis in the NHS, in Education etc etc etc etc, all these problems and more didn't just start 10 years ago with Tory austerity, true because of austerity they have gotten worse in the last 10 years, but most of these problems have been around for decades and it seems to me that successive governments whether they wore a blue or red rosette have done precious feck all to tackle them, sure they have tinkered around the edges so they can claim to be tackling the issues, yet the same old issues of poverty, homelessness, funding crisis in the NHS etc etc remain from one government and from one decade to the next, irrespective of the colour of rosette whoever happens to be in charge wears.

For what it's worth that's my opinion, as bad as the Tories are Labour are no great shakes either, as things which government should be addressing seem to just carry on being an issue decade after decade and nothing ever really seems to get done about them, and I wouldn't be shocked nor surprised if that in 20, 30+ years time the same old issues of poverty, homelessness, NHS etc etc are still being argued over by either the Tories or Labour or whatever party there might be in the future, I would hope that I'm wrong, but going by past history of politics in this country I'm not too optimistic that any real change will happen.

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I would think that many on here can relate to how tough life was for some growing up in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

And this is the point I've been trying to make, a point which seems to me is being completely ignored by one particular poster.

Yes there is poverty in the UK right now, yes there is homelessness, yes there are welfare reforms, yes there is crisis in the NHS, in Education, in social care and so on and so forth, but 10, 20 30, 40, 50+ years ago there was still poverty in the UK, there were still people living on the streets, there has near enough always been a funding crisis in the NHS, in Education etc etc etc etc, all these problems and more didn't just start 10 years ago with Tory austerity, true because of austerity they have gotten worse in the last 10 years, but most of these problems have been around for decades and it seems to me that successive governments whether they wore a blue or red rosette have done precious feck all to tackle them, sure they have tinkered around the edges so they can claim to be tackling the issues, yet the same old issues of poverty, homelessness, funding crisis in the NHS etc etc remain from one government and from one decade to the next, irrespective of the colour of rosette whoever happens to be in charge wears.

For what it's worth that's my opinion, as bad as the Tories are Labour are no great shakes either, as things which government should be addressing seem to just carry on being an issue decade after decade and nothing ever really seems to get done about them, and I wouldn't be shocked nor surprised if that in 20, 30+ years time the same old issues of poverty, homelessness, NHS etc etc are still being argued over by either the Tories or Labour or whatever party there might be in the future, I would hope that I'm wrong, but going by past history of politics in this country I'm not too optimistic that any real change will happen.

Very good post.

We had an outside loo.

When I tell the Grandkids that I’m sure they think it’s a wind up.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Very good post.

We had an outside loo.

When I tell the Grandkids that I’m sure they think it’s a wind up.

Outside loos, fortunately only ever had to use one when visting my Grandparents who still had an outside loo, can always remember the cut up newspaper hanging on a hook ?, oh those were the days, thank feck they are long gone.

Yip, my own kids look at me as if to say 'yeh right' when I tell them about even into the early '80's and the little we had to set up a home, not just how little money we had but also household stuff to start with, things like carpet oddments in the middle of the floor, bean bags to sit on as we couldn't afford a table or chairs let alone a 3 piece suite or anything like that.  They don't have a scooby, and this is why I sometimes get angry when somepeople try and claim that things are worse now than they have ever been, presumably they weren't around in the 60's or 70's as I'd be surprised they would come out with statements like that, if they had been.

Wrinkled News paper to wipe my backside. Paraffin heater in the bathroom on bath nights. Beans on toast the night before pay day. Cheese sandwiches for lunch at work with a handful of crisp crunched up to make it different. 

These days I own three properties outright with one of them in Tenerife. I worked bloody hard to put these days of making do a thing of the past and now I’m enjoying my hard earned money. 

Jambo-Jimbo is right. There will always be and always has been poverty on some people and some institutions. I’ve never yet seen or read a manifesto that will sort these problem out once and for all. Some people are greedy and some people are down right lazy others through no fault of their own struggle to get ahead. Sadly there is no one size fits all answer. That doesn’t mean we should go out our way to help those that are truly in need.