Thread on last nights fitba (pls not a playground 'who's maist RUBBISH' thread)

cocobeab

i'm not knocking anyone elses rights to kick off whatever debate they see fit but felt the need to post my perception on the tactics last night ... call it cathartic

Big game for Shaggy and sad to say he was found wanting. Very poor stall he set out. Had a massive backing from fans bordering on a feel good factor for first time in weeks and an opportunity to get a momentum going on the back of a derby victory. Especially with M'well coming off a weekend humpin at the weekend. Needed to take game to them and come out the traps, as it was we set out a very unthreatening 4,5,1 with a middle 5 all too complicated and miles from the supporting lone striker.

Issues; use and apparent status of Stewart who on last nights performance is more a hindrance that a help. Demanded he took every set piece including approx 10 potentially threatening free kicks in and around the box and all corners, 100% poor delivery. Berates others for his mistakes and generally disrupts Pala and Eggy by adding another body in the middle of the park. Definite billy big boots attitude last night and suspect accommodating him was a bad move. Left Eggert and Pala playing on top of Berra and Christos and meant Motherwell could miss out 5 of our team with a ball over the top down the middle.

Chesney moved out to left to accommodate Miko. Scare stories that was because Driver is away god I really hope not. Ches less than interested out left and so obviously right footed he was wasted there.

Miko absolutely hopeless, we must have better than him, either Frail is blind to that or you fear Vlads influence . As it was we got nothing from either wide man in 1st 45 not even the ability to track back or sit on the touch line and stretch them. Amazingly it wasn't Miko but Ches who was sacrificed at half time . Needed to get support on for Vel not arguing that but in taking off Ches he disrupted the whole midfield and not for the better. Movin Miko to left, made him even less productive (we thought it wasn't possible) and movin Eggert wide right more or less froze him out of things, he tries but its not his natural role and left him a frustrated fish out of water.

Wallace played well agst Hibs and was surely a better bet for left mid even if not from the start then surely at half time. A midfield of ches, egg, pala and wallace would have had more shape and ammo to supply a nade & vel front line that looked threatening during stages but got shocking service from; Pala (sitting way back with centre halves), Stewart (see above) Miko (in one instance beat one man then ran the ball out the park unchallenged as if to typify his entire career) and Eggert (getting himself worked up and annoyed having been forced out despite having done okay in middle).

Nade showed in flashes he has ability in spades but is horrendously unfit, blowing out his erse 10 mins after coming on. One or two jinky runs before being upended or wasteful , but long balls to him were more effective than anything else we attempted in first half.

Frustrating night for Velicka who didn?t look too impressed being isolated in first half. Hope Bolton weren't there as they would have seen a guy doing his best but let down by others and could easily turn his head with pledge of better than last night. Him and Eggert are the last boys you want to annoy the now as they carry us at times.

In summary we're better than this, could have been a different night had he lined up a more balanced 442 from outset, got more from wide men and not had stewart be so wasteful with numerous set pieces. Motherwell were their usual tidy selves and played some good attacking stuff in first half. That said they had no possesion in our half or attempts on goal in second half and only really the pen in the first, cannae mind Banks having to deal with anything more than a couple of crosses and pass backs all night.

Maybe harsh on Frail but if he's picking the team he picked the wrong one last night and made poor changes. If that?s his best he should not be left in charge for long. Seems to get best out of them, as evidenced in better 2nd half effort but found wanting when setting them up. Desperately need a strong manager to instil belief, some semblance of shape and who is big enough to see past the likes of Miko and Stewart and play those who deserve to be there.

Guest JamboRobbo

Couldn't have said it any better.

You've covered exactly the problems I saw on the football side last night.

Moving chesney to accomodate Miko. Stewarts position, and his continued taking of free kicks/corners. Velickas isolation.

The positives for me? As you say, Eggert. Showed commitment and desire and no lack of ability, even when those around him were showing nothing. And yes, Nade looked like a football player again after looking lost for the past few appearances.

Last night was the night that Frail confirmed for me that he is not up to the task at hand.

its where we bide
i'm not knocking anyone elses rights to kick off whatever debate they see fit but felt the need to post my perception on the tactics last night ... call it cathartic

Big game for Shaggy and sad to say he was found wanting. Very poor stall he set out. Had a massive backing from fans bordering on a feel good factor for first time in weeks and an opportunity to get a momentum going on the back of a derby victory. Especially with M'well coming off a weekend humpin at the weekend. Needed to take game to them and come out the traps, as it was we set out a very unthreatening 4,5,1 with a middle 5 all too complicated and miles from the supporting lone striker.

Issues; use and apparent status of Stewart who on last nights performance is more a hindrance that a help. Demanded he took every set piece including approx 10 potentially threatening free kicks in and around the box and all corners, 100% poor delivery. Berates others for his mistakes and generally disrupts Pala and Eggy by adding another body in the middle of the park. Definite billy big boots attitude last night and suspect accommodating him was a bad move. Left Eggert and Pala playing on top of Berra and Christos and meant Motherwell could miss out 5 of our team with a ball over the top down the middle.

Chesney moved out to left to accommodate Miko. Scare stories that was because Driver is away god I really hope not. Ches less than interested out left and so obviously right footed he was wasted there.

Miko absolutely hopeless, we must have better than him, either Frail is blind to that or you fear Vlads influence . As it was we got nothing from either wide man in 1st 45 not even the ability to track back or sit on the touch line and stretch them. Amazingly it wasn't Miko but Ches who was sacrificed at half time . Needed to get support on for Vel not arguing that but in taking off Ches he disrupted the whole midfield and not for the better. Movin Miko to left, made him even less productive (we thought it wasn't possible) and movin Eggert wide right more or less froze him out of things, he tries but its not his natural role and left him a frustrated fish out of water.

Wallace played well agst Hibs and was surely a better bet for left mid even if not from the start then surely at half time. A midfield of ches, egg, pala and wallace would have had more shape and ammo to supply a nade & vel front line that looked threatening during stages but got shocking service from; Pala (sitting way back with centre halves), Stewart (see above) Miko (in one instance beat one man then ran the ball out the park unchallenged as if to typify his entire career) and Eggert (getting himself worked up and annoyed having been forced out despite having done okay in middle).

Nade showed in flashes he has ability in spades but is horrendously unfit, blowing out his erse 10 mins after coming on. One or two jinky runs before being upended or wasteful , but long balls to him were more effective than anything else we attempted in first half.

Frustrating night for Velicka who didn?t look too impressed being isolated in first half. Hope Bolton weren't there as they would have seen a guy doing his best but let down by others and could easily turn his head with pledge of better than last night. Him and Eggert are the last boys you want to annoy the now as they carry us at times.

In summary we're better than this, could have been a different night had he lined up a more balanced 442 from outset, got more from wide men and not had stewart be so wasteful with numerous set pieces. Motherwell were their usual tidy selves and played some good attacking stuff in first half. That said they had no possesion in our half or attempts on goal in second half and only really the pen in the first, cannae mind Banks having to deal with anything more than a couple of crosses and pass backs all night.

Maybe harsh on Frail but if he's picking the team he picked the wrong one last night and made poor changes. If that?s his best he should not be left in charge for long. Seems to get best out of them, as evidenced in better 2nd half effort but found wanting when setting them up. Desperately need a strong manager to instil belief, some semblance of shape and who is big enough to see past the likes of Miko and Stewart and play those who deserve to be there.

totally agree mate but weve all been saying this (if a few words/names were changed for nearly 2 1/2 years

And its 24 th tomm and no sign of anything other than who we might be selling

De Ja Vu for me mate

Lets get the new stand up tho yipee

sad

Good post cocobeab, pretty much ticks all the boxes for me.

We can see it...

The people in power claimed to have seen it a few weeks ago...just where is the new man. We need him and quickly.

We need discipline, we need organisation and we need consitency.

Excellent post. I would add that I cannot recall ever being as worried when the ball goes near either of our fullbacks. Total bombscares the pair of them.

Nelly Terraces

Can't say I disagree with a single word of that. Spot on, and 100% more professional and honest than anything I have ever heard Frail come out with.

I'd like to have your name added the the list (if there is one) for new manager mate. Good call.

Mr Cocobeab,

You are Spot On, I wish to second your nomination for the position as Hearts Manager, I really hope you are a well known Scottish manager right now and your hat is already in the ring, but if not i think most people would agree that you know what your talking about.

P.S. Do you have you're coaching Badges.

Walter Bishop

Cesnauskis was ill!!

awadooningorgie2
Cesnauskis was ill!!

Can we blame that on Stewart as well - spreading his germs alongside his bad distribution?

Can we blame that on Stewart as well - spreading his germs alongside his bad distribution?

Unfortunately Kurkis won't catch it ;)

Walter Bishop
Post of the year print it off and send it to Vlad someone.

Hardly, accumilative post of what has been said by others already! ;)

The way i saw it,

1. we had a massive gap between the midfield and attack which left Velicka isolated and every time the ball went forward, it came back straight away. Nade came on and made a difference but we still never got enough players forward to support.

2. Our full backs are too limited as professional football players and don't defend properly or contribute in attack.

3. Chesney never showed up and Miko was in terrible form so we had no threat from wide ares.

4. Three holding midfielders who didn't have the creativity to make anything and didn't have the natural ability to support the striker.

5. Terrible waste of set pieces.

Nelly Terraces

It's quite hrad to take an accumulative amount of views and condense these down to a cohesive/concise whole. Effective writing they call it.

I think the OP has done a good job in pointing out the factors in our defeat last night and an overall view of the general footballing issues needing addressed as a whole at HMFC.

Agree with most of the post but few would have disagreed I suspect with the team selection after Saturday's result against the Hobos. I assume that Miko was in for Driver who it's claimed was injured. I also assume that the reason that Chesney was subbed was because he was ill. In truth there wasn't much between him or Miko to sub anyway. Although I'd like to have seen both switch wings now and again to give the Motherwell full backs something to think about (not alot I suppose). Most would agree with SF bringing on Nade but it shows the paucity of our squad when the only other serious sub to bring on is Wallace, a left back to play left mid field...:o

Walter Bishop
It's quite hrad to take an accumulative amount of views and condense these down to a cohesive/concise whole. Effective writing they call it.

I think the OP has done a good job in pointing out the factors in our defeat last night and an overall view of the general footballing issues needing addressed as a whole at HMFC.

And your point is? All these "factors" have been posted by others since 9:45 last night.

KilbrideJambo

A bit precious given most of the points and commets were very specific to the match last night? When else have Miko and Chesney for example started a match together in a very long time? I thought it was an ecellent, thought provoking post.

Nelly Terraces
And your point is? All these "factors" have been posted by others since 9:45 last night.

Oh give it a rest. I'm too old and too tired to fight with the likes of you, honestly, trying to pick a fight. Suppose the blokes not entitled to his view then, fair enough, you win. Well done.

PS, dont bother posting back, I wont be revisiting this thread, if you have anything to say to me, Row F in Section N, every home Saturday if you want to prolong the discussion.

Guest Dipped Flake

And what is your point???

The OP has summed up the 90 minutes very well IMO, something I have not seen in any of these other posts you mention, most of which are just saying player A is crap and B should gtf and C should never have been there in the first place.

Archived