Glentoran

JamboX2

J Cheever Loophole

Good post.... I got involved with the Yes vote a couple of years ago, brought up by Irish parents but genuinely, to my surprise, found the orange boys tunes coming back down the mound that day, catchy.

If you want to find a reason to hate, you will!.... One of the best things about following football, is having differences, but seeing things from the other guys prospective......

Sorry going of thread.......

Agree man, it opened my eyes when I lived and worked in ROI nearly 20 years ago. They're no different from us apart from the rabid few, like here.  

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stephane Grappelli

• Beast Boy

• Phil Dunphy

• jambo1961

Салатные палочки

Used to have a Glen's shirt years ago. Never knew of any connection. I also had a Derry City, Linfield and Cork City top. Went through a wee phase of collecting Irish "soccer" shirts.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

:oohmatron:

Dahhhhllinnngg!

We simply MUST do lunch, sometime.

Your new look sounds devine.

Must rush, big kisses.

Wear an orange rose in your lapel, Taff. ;)

Straight out of the Charlie Nicholas book of witty comebacks.

Aye I was just sitting there thinking on how to keep up with the boring dross you continue to churn out post after post but you have got it down to a fine art so I think I'll retire for the evening, you take care now Gabby

Was at the Linfield pre season Yrs ago Andy got it tight from the home fans.. great time all the same

Upstairs was rocking with Hearts as you could watch the game from there

No love lost between Linfield and Glentoran that's for sure.

Been a few choice barneys over the years.

Minibus from kilkeel ( half blues and half glens ) always had broken windows on the way back whether it was at the oval or Windsor.

Happy days

I'm thinking:

Bowler hat with a pink and an orange feather sticking out.

Red, white and blue leotard.

Gold hot-pants.

Orange stockings.

Royal blue high heels.

Orange sash.

Should go down a storm. I'll look fabulous. :wub:

And you still won't look out of place.

Stephane Grappelli

Its a shame that a thread about a wee team in Northern Ireland develops into this absolute, utter drivel.

Och, it's just a wee bit banter on a Friday night big man.  Lighten yourself up.

Aye I was just sitting there thinking on how to keep up with the boring dross you continue to churn out post after post but you have got it down to a fine art so I think I'll retire for the evening, you take care now Gabby

That's even worse than you're previous retort lad.  I'm not blaming you though, you can't help it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

No love lost between Linfield and Glentoran that's for sure.

Been a few choice barneys over the years.

Minibus from kilkeel ( half blues and half glens ) always had broken windows on the way back whether it was at the oval or Windsor.

Happy days

The pair of them are morons.

Here's to the Sky Blues winning the League Cup this weekend! :toasting:

Malinga the Swinga

Watching Cliftonville v Glentoran on Sky Sports.

Behind the Glentoran goal is a Hearts badge. Anyone able to explain this? Never knew of a tie up with them.

bet you wish you had never asked

Agree man, it opened my eyes when I lived and worked in ROI nearly 20 years ago. They're no different from us apart from the rabid few, like here.

Cheers...

Och, it's just a wee bit banter on a Friday night big man.  Lighten yourself up.

That's even worse than you're previous retort lad.  I'm not blaming you though, you can't help it.

Well said, Friday night is when you can have a wee swally, have a bit of banter online, feed the dog and look forward to the game tomorrow......

:lol:

Nailed it. I mean it's all delightfully camp and fruity the way they dress up and carry on, but you can't help but think they'd be better just joining some kind of gay Mardi Gras instead... you even get to wear feathers in those.

Mothy at his best!

:lol:

August Landmesser

I was in the Linfield directors box a few times and they all presumed I would be a Rangers fan. When I said Hearts they said a lot of Glens fans have a soft spot for us. A lot also have a soft spot for Rangers, though, so it isnt clean cut.

It's pretty clean cut though really, the throwbacks over in Mordor assume that Hearts & Whatever-passes-for-Rangers-these-days & Linfield & Glentoran are all cut from the same scratchy, orange cloth.

On the few occasions I've had the misfortune to be in that makey-uppy wee country, I've had Nordies of both colour (Green and Ornj) assume that I'm a Good Loyalist purely because I'm Hearts fan.

The province is a basket case.

It's pretty clean cut though really, the throwbacks over in Mordor assume that Hearts & Whatever-passes-for-Rangers-these-days & Linfield & Glentoran are all cut from the same scratchy, orange cloth.

On the few occasions I've had the misfortune to be in that makey-uppy wee country, I've had Nordies of both colour (Green and Ornj) assume that I'm a Good Loyalist purely because I'm Hearts fan.

"Makey-uppy wee country" - really? Good God. Are you referring to Northern Ireland?

Northern Ireland is full of great, lovely, friendly and welcoming people. Your description makes me think you havent actually ever been there.

Marooned In Oz

Enlighten me then Obi Wan, if it's because they are orange men you are biggest TOSSER here for judging them because they have different beliefs to yours.

Any grown man who classes themselves as a loyalist and goes over for "Marching season" is a cretinous arsehole.  Hope this helps.

MacDonald Jardine

So are you from this post.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MacDonald Jardine

Any grown man who classes themselves as a loyalist and goes over for "Marching season" is a cretinous arsehole. Hope this helps.

It doesn't.

Stick to your wee backwater.

portobellojambo1

Watching Cliftonville v Glentoran on Sky Sports.

Behind the Glentoran goal is a Hearts badge. Anyone able to explain this? Never knew of a tie up with them.

Don't think there is any sort of what you might call an official sort of tie up but there does appear to be a few Glentoran fans who have a soft spot for us, whereas Linfield fans have a soft spot for the Rangers. One thing Glentoran do have is a brilliant social club upstairs in their main stand. Was over for the friendly we played against them a few years back, and after frequenting a number of hostelries we ended up in their social club before the game and they were very welcoming. It was a bit of a struggle to get out of bed the next morning and on the flight back to Edinburgh. Then more recently we went over for 3/4 days for the pre season tournament involving Crusaders, Liverpool and us, but hosted at Glentoran's Oval Ground. Again we ended up in their social club and they were brilliant to us, I still cannot remember leaving the ground and heading back into town.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Any grown man who classes themselves as a loyalist and goes over for "Marching season" is a cretinous arsehole.  Hope this helps.

Didn't help me I'm afraid as I already knew this.

It doesn't.

Stick to your wee backwater.

It absolutely does, likes. :lol:

The star-nosed mole and the goblin shark don't realise they are ridiculous looking creatures with daft names... doesn't make them any less humorous to normal human beings though.

Edited by The Earl of Mothsbery

Northern Ireland is about as "Makey-uppy" a country as it is possible to get! :rofl:

Mothy, you're trying to 'outbigot' the bigots tonight mate.

What a ridiculous statement.

Marooned In Oz

It absolutely does, likes. :lol:

The star-noses mole and the goblin shark don't realise they are ridiculous looking creatures with daft names... doesn't make them any less humorous to normal human beings though.

Imagine living to march to commemorate the slaughter of catholics in the 17th century,   :lol:.  Aye some ****ing laugh that. 

By far, the saddest ***** in the entire united kingdom.  Scottish "loyalists".  Laughable.

Imagine living to march to commemorate the slaughter of catholics in the 17th century, :lol:. Aye some ******* laugh that.

By far, the saddest ***** in the entire united kingdom. Scottish "loyalists". Laughable.

I know right? Amazing scenes that folk think it's something to celebrate! :rofl:

Mothy, you're trying to 'outbigot' the bigots tonight mate.

What a ridiculous statement.

Unfortunately not bud. Northern Ireland is, at best, a tragic monument to imperialism and oppression via the use of national identity as a tool for domination and control. Reminds me of Hitler wanting to **** the Czechs up the farter to "protect" the 'Germanic' folk who lived there. Edited by The Earl of Mothsbery

Fly the Saltire

I know right? Amazing scenes that folk think it's something to celebrate! :rofl:

Brought up in stauch protestant household had fights with catholics during school years taken to Orange Walk in Belfast but once a mature adult thought this is complete bollocks and Hearts fans  should have nothing to do with neathanderal religious differences..

Brought up in stauch protestant household had fights with catholics during school years taken to Orange Walk in Belfast but once a mature adult thought this is complete bollocks and Hearts fans should have nothing to do with neathanderal religious differences..

Absolutely 100%. But....the OP was feck all to do with any of it.

MacDonald Jardine

Imagine living to march to commemorate the slaughter of catholics in the 17th century, [emoji38]. Aye some ******* laugh that.

By far, the saddest ***** in the entire united kingdom. Scottish "loyalists". Laughable.

The slaughter of Catholics?

If that's the extent of your knowledge I'd bow out now.

August Landmesser

"Makey-uppy wee country" - really? Good God. Are you referring to Northern Ireland?

Northern Ireland is full of great, lovely, friendly and welcoming people. Your description makes me think you havent actually ever been there.

I've been there.

It's got some lovely, welcoming people but it sure as shite is not 'full' of them.

Also, yes. It's a made-up 'country'. That's pretty much an historical fact.

It has lots of nice shappin sennurrs though, so it does.

Malinga the Swinga

Brought up in stauch protestant household had fights with catholics during school years taken to Orange Walk in Belfast but once a mature adult thought this is complete bollocks and Hearts fans  should have nothing to do with neathanderal religious differences..

Well said. Hearts is a non sectarian club and people of any nationality, and colour and any religion are welcome to support the club and play for the club. People who wish to tie us in to a fight/cause/war/struggle or whatever you want to call it, that belongs in the dark ages can go **** themselves.

So sad that you could almost guarantee that certain posters would appear on this thread. Hopefully, the future generations of supporters of Heart of Midlothian will wonder what all this was about because this type of stupidity, like a cancer, has to be removed and allowed to die out.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Imagine living to march to commemorate the slaughter of catholics in the 17th century, :lol:. Aye some ******* laugh that.

Except that's incorrect. William of Orange's finest infantry unit was solely Catholic and he was also supported by the Pope.

Careful as to whom you deem ignorant.

August Landmesser

Well said. Hearts is a non sectarian club and people of any nationality, and colour and any religion are welcome to support the club and play for the club. People who wish to tie us in to a fight/cause/war/struggle or whatever you want to call it, that belongs in the dark ages can go **** themselves.

So sad that you could almost guarantee that certain posters would appear on this thread. Hopefully, the future generations of supporters of Heart of Midlothian will wonder what all this was about because this type of stupidity, like a cancer, has to be removed and allowed to die out.

Hear hear.

Unfortunately not bud. Northern Ireland is, at best, a tragic monument to imperialism and oppression via the use of national identity as a tool for domination and control. Reminds me of Hitler wanting to **** the Czechs up the farter to "protect" the 'Germanic' folk who lived there.

Except the majority of those people have always wanted to be a part of Britain. So that's hardly neo-imperialism.

Hee haw to do with Hearts right enough.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Except the majority of those people have always wanted to be a part of Britain. So that's hardly neo-imperialism.

Quite. An existential debate on a "makey uppy wee country" which is about to celebrate its centenary belongs in The Shed.

The majority of Czech people wanted **** all to do with the fatherland either.

Best 'fred' ever  on this subject , I actually cried with laughter (but then I am pished). Fanks Moffy and TGG.

Wait a minute. Am I to understand that there's been some sort of argy-bargy, nay - shenanegans between Catholics and Protestants at some point?

Seems like there's been some kind of conflict going on.

Never mind, I'm sure there can't be too many differing versions of events for us not to be able to settle this over a few kind words and a healthy debate, for knowledge's sake. After all, we've a lot in common, right?

Who's for a nice cup of tea, then?

P.S. SHED! **** all to do with Heart of Midlothian.

**** off.

Thank you.

I do think we are veering off topic though...

Orange-'men' and Gay MardiGras boys...

Get on the blower. Make some connections... you have sooo much in common. Combine forces and you could start to be noticed on the global stage.

The Jason Orange Order would be a good name to start off with. :thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Please point out the homophobia Geoffrey.

:)

I'm presuming you agree there has been bigotry on the thread then.

As for homophobia, seeing Gay Pride as a vehicle for lampooning things you don't like as opposed to recognising Gay Pride as a celebration of overcoming discrimination against homosexuality is pretty homophobic in my opinion.

MacDonald Jardine

The majority of Czech people wanted **** all to do with the fatherland either.

Are you seriously comparing the two?

MacDonald Jardine

Anyway there's been a connection between Hearts and Glentoran for many years.

Some don't like it.

Anyway there's been a connection between Hearts and Glentoran for many years.

Some don't like it.

There's been a more consistent connection between hearts and fruity campness recently. Some hate that. Edited by The Earl of Mothsbery