Diagnose the Main Problems at Hearts...

Martin_T

Roman Romanov once told us that they had found the diagnosis and had implemented a painful cure. So what exactly is the main problematic areas at Hearts? In my opinion it remains the same problem that there has been since October 2005...

-The appointment of a capable Head Coach/Manager with full control of team selection and player recruitment.

Without this in place you have......

-Poor team performance

-Increased failure in the quality of player recruitment

-In discipline

-Players losing motivation

-Young players stagnating

-Players having no clear sense of direction

Recognise any of the above problems? It may be repetitive, but it remains the case, Hearts need a manager. I hope that the Romanov's are still actively trying to recruitment in this area, otherwise they'll be in for a nasty surprise come season ticket re-newal time and I'm afraid no amount of planning permission applications are going to sweeten us this time round.

0,,10002~3053132,00.jpg

"The cure may be painful but at least we have the diagnosis."

The Pressley-ectomy is taking a long time to cure our ills.

Drylaw Hearts
Roman Romanov once told us that they had found the diagnosis and had implemented a painful cure. So what exactly is the main problematic areas at Hearts? In my opinion it remains the same problem that there has been since October 2005...

-The appointment of a capable Head Coach/Manager with full control of team selection and player recruitment.

-Poor team performance

-In discipline

Recognise any of the above problems? It may be repetitive, but it remains the case, Hearts need a manager. I hope that the Romanov's are still actively trying to recruitment in this area, otherwise they'll be in for a nasty surprise come season ticket re-newal time and I'm afraid no amount of planning permission applications are going to sweeten us this time round.

The second word in to your post answered your question.

He knows what he wants buty doesn't have a clue how to get it.

He think he does.

But in reality he doesn't.

Fine Scottish Wine

We don't just need a manager we need a manager who does not just command but demands respect, Frail is too much of an easy touch and is being golden showerd from a great heigh by the players. If any player is reading this and thinks it is garbage then show it with 90 minutes of 100% commitment.

Has anyone actually seen Frail look or sound angry after a match or is it just me that thinks he just looks a little down because his players are tired and had a bad game and the wee darlings will be better after a few weeks training. They are not kids Shaggy, and that's another thing tell them to call you BOSS or GAFFER or SIR, not Shaggy, they are supposed to have respect for you not be your mate. I really don't think the players see him as their boss.

Anyway, i am ranting so i will stop.

chester copperpot
The second word in to your post answered your question.

He knows what he wants buty doesn't have a clue how to get it.

He think he does.

But in reality he doesn't.

Take 1 nail, and 1 hammer, hit head of nail.

Boom.

Heart of the Matter

-Poor team performance

-In discipline

Martin, you have described the symptoms, rather than the problem. The problem is that Hearts are owned, controlled and subject to the fleeting whims and knee jerk reactions of a man who believes he knows everything about running a football club but who patently knows nothing about football.

Why do people think that putting in place a manager with 'full control over team selection and player recruitment' will address that problem? Everything we have learned about Romanov suggests that empowering others is just not part of his make up. While he is in charge it will always be Romanov United, not Heart of Midlothian.

The owner decides what players we sign and he's not very good at it.

We therefore have some terrible players playing in key positions.

We have no manager and god only knows when we are getting one.

Our players are badly trained and have discipline problems.

We have no leadership on the field.

The transfer window is about to end with us needing a whole new team and a manager.

On the pitch:

We have a poor selection of goalkeepers, Banks the best of a bad lot, who feels he needs to punt the ball as far up the pitch as he can to avoid giving it to our hopelessly inept full backs who are so uncomfortable on the ball it is hard to watch. Hence we give the ball away nigh on every time we get it.

We have absolutely no creativity in the midfield area other than Kingston, all the rest of our midfielders are very similar with Ruben being the best option to play alongside Larry in the centre, IMO. Stewart constantly gives the ball away and is a waste of a jersey, despite this he is played every week and given the opportunity to take every set piece. Whilst having very little creativity in the midfield area, we need to ensure we don't waste the opportunities we get from set pieces, unfortunately we waste just about them all.

Our wingers don't get to the byline and whip crosses in, and arguably our best winger hasn't scored a league goal in 3 years. Driver has potential but still isn't quite there yet.

Up front we have very little, Velicka can usually put the ball away but adds very little else to the team, he needs a partner up there with him.

Off the pitch:

We've an owner who has interfered to a ridiculous extent and hired/fired puppets for his own shortcomings. This has transferred down to the team in terms of morale and his made decent players looks poor, and poor players look worse.

The owner has alienated and infuriated fans with his lies and interference to the extent where the slightest mistake on the park is absolutely chastised as fans are so wound up before they even arrive at the ground for the game. There is a lack of trust between owner/manager/puppet and between team and fans all resulting in a tense/hostile atmosphere which can't be enjoyable to play in. Which in turn, I believe has resulted in huge indiscipline from frustrated players.

The owners signing policy is very poor, he should leave signings to footballing people and butt the hell out. If he does find a gem, (which he has done on occassion, allow the manager to give them a trial first before signing him, it would allow us to stop clogging the squad up with duds.)

There is huge problems within our football club, which will not be sorted overnight. The first step would be to allow a football manager (with full control) in to clear out the dross, install some discipline and re-install the feel good factor around the club.

I have huge doubts this will ever happen.

Just realised how long that post I wrote was, been sitting trying to do a uni assignment for ages and not even written half that, which I typed up in about 5 minutes.

:confused:

Heart of the Matter
Just realised how long that post I wrote was, been sitting trying to do a uni assignment for ages and not even written half that, which I typed up in about 5 minutes.

:confused:

Why not just submit your post? It is a good critique.

Why not just submit your post? It is a good critique.

Unfortunately the problems at Hearts having nothing to do with planning a hypothetical development site, well actually...

;)

rambothejambo

D-McG,

Excellent post, team-wise I agree with you. Banks is an average goalie but he's the best we currently have, and the two full-backs (Robbie & Jose) wouldn't get a game for Linlithgow Rose. In midfield we badly miss Larry. Rubens is a very good player and along with Ches these three are a pretty decent midfield outfit. Up front we need someone to beat a man and then cross it (old fashioned winger) into the box, Driver ain't good enough, and we also need another goal scoring forward to help Velicka. Sort out these minor problems and we could end up with a semi-decent team.

Unfortunately as long as we don't have a manager with full control of team matters nothing will change, and as long as that crazy Lithuanian ***** owns the team nothing is likely to change.

Martin, you have described the symptoms, rather than the problem. The problem is that Hearts are owned, controlled and subject to the fleeting whims and knee jerk reactions of a man who believes he knows everything about running a football club but who patently knows nothing about football.

Why do people think that putting in place a manager with 'full control over team selection and player recruitment' will address that problem? Everything we have learned about Romanov suggests that empowering others is just not part of his make up. While he is in charge it will always be Romanov United, not Heart of Midlothian.

While he is in charge it will always be Romanov United, not Heart of Midlothian

Sadly you're spot on :(

On the pitch:

We have a poor selection of goalkeepers, Banks the best of a bad lot, who feels he needs to punt the ball as far up the pitch as he can to avoid giving it to our hopelessly inept full backs who are so uncomfortable on the ball it is hard to watch. Hence we give the ball away nigh on every time we get it.

We have absolutely no creativity in the midfield area other than Kingston, all the rest of our midfielders are very similar with Ruben being the best option to play alongside Larry in the centre, IMO. Stewart constantly gives the ball away and is a waste of a jersey, despite this he is played every week and given the opportunity to take every set piece. Whilst having very little creativity in the midfield area, we need to ensure we don't waste the opportunities we get from set pieces, unfortunately we waste just about them all.

Our wingers don't get to the byline and whip crosses in, and arguably our best winger hasn't scored a league goal in 3 years. Driver has potential but still isn't quite there yet.

Up front we have very little, Velicka can usually put the ball away but adds very little else to the team, he needs a partner up there with him.

Off the pitch:

We've an owner who has interfered to a ridiculous extent and hired/fired puppets for his own shortcomings. This has transferred down to the team in terms of morale and his made decent players looks poor, and poor players look worse.

The owner has alienated and infuriated fans with his lies and interference to the extent where the slightest mistake on the park is absolutely chastised as fans are so wound up before they even arrive at the ground for the game. There is a lack of trust between owner/manager/puppet and between team and fans all resulting in a tense/hostile atmosphere which can't be enjoyable to play in. Which in turn, I believe has resulted in huge indiscipline from frustrated players.

The owners signing policy is very poor, he should leave signings to footballing people and butt the hell out. If he does find a gem, (which he has done on occassion, allow the manager to give them a trial first before signing him, it would allow us to stop clogging the squad up with duds.)

There is huge problems within our football club, which will not be sorted overnight. The first step would be to allow a football manager (with full control) in to clear out the dross, install some discipline and re-install the feel good factor around the club.

Top post.

If you're uni assignment is the probelms at H.M.F.C then you have pretty much past.

Top post.

If you're uni assignment is the probelms at H.M.F.C then you have pretty much past.

The sad thing is, could probably write a dissertation sized post on the problems at Hearts there is that many!

:)

Toxteth O'Grady
On the pitch:

Off the pitch:

:bravo:

Archived