Planning Application. Bit of good news.

Nelly Terraces

Nelly Terraces

Just a wee quickie, a copy of the planning app's arrived in our office this morning. I'm sorry, can't tell you who I work for, though a lot of folk on here who know me personally do, but I'll just say, it's a public body who needs to be consulted on planning apps near major hazard sites (in this case NBD)

It looks the nuts, and has obviously been put together with all the due care and attention required. At this moment in time the body I work for will, due to some quirky regulations have to advise against the app going through, but honestly, no panic, the council will completely ignore this and it'll be all systems go (we wont appeal against them going against our advice).

Cheers. Just thought i'd share that with you kids.

NT. :527:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a wee quickie, a copy of the planning app's arrived in our office this morning. I'm sorry, can't tell you who I work for, though a lot of folk on here who know me personally do, but I'll just say, it's a public body who needs to be consulted on planning apps near major hazard sites (in this case NBD)

It looks the nuts, and has obviously been put together with all the due care and attention required. At this moment in time the body I work for will, due to some quirky regulations have to advise against the app going through, but honestly, no panic, the council will completely ignore this and it'll be all systems go (we wont appeal against them going against our advice).

Carefull. good news not welcome on this board today . . .

How is business at Nelly's Administration and Property Development Inc these days??

tsk tsk ...posting good news on KB - mods, surely a ban is overdue??

Nelly Terraces
How is business at Nelly's Administration and Property Development Inc these days??

tsk tsk ...posting good news on KB - mods, surely a ban is overdue??

Not bad, but business at 'Nellys brown envelopes stuffed full of used banks notes Plc' is really taking off!;)

Not bad, but business at 'Nellys brown envelopes stuffed full of used banks notes Plc' is really taking off!;)

Are you an Environ MENTALIST Nells?

'Nelly's Administration and Property Development Inc.'...

'Nellys brown envelopes stuffed full of used banks notes Plc'...

How are you gonna find the time to start up your 'Nelly's Laughing At The Vermin T-shirt Co.?

I have just hard copied the complete planning approval submission.

The document has been well thought through and is extemely professional. The stadium and commercial office development look superb. The bottom line here is that this development can kick start the economy and emenity of the whole Gorgie area.

I just hope some low life Hobo activist on the Council does not throw a spanner in the works!

It'll go through the council no probs imo - they are desperate for cash and the ?1million odd they will get for the Education centre would be very welcoming.

Nelly Terraces

The document has been well thought through and is extemely professional. The stadium and commercial office development look superb. The bottom line here is that this development can kick start the economy and emenity of the whole Gorgie area.

I just hope some low life Hobo activist on the Council does not throw a spanner in the works!

I'd love to do that.:biggrin:

Zero Tolerance to hobos. Always.

Seymour M Hersh

The planning committee will send it up to the full council for ratification because of the size of the project. This will give the media and fans a chance to work themselves an chance to work themselves into a negative frenzy. Should be entertaining.

It will be needed.

Theres a likely economic slowdown - or possible recession - coming up. Edinburgh will not be immune. So if the council chooses to kick this into touch then they're even more incompetent than I took them for.

The huge worry here is an impending world recession.

The big Banks are all keeping a hold of their money due to the credit squeeze, and the possibility of really bad financial results, primarily due to the USA sub prime business collapse.

As they say when America sneezes, the world catches a cold - and this situation must effect Romanov and his Bank.

I do not believe that Ukio has the assets to take on all the 51M projects costs and they will be looking to other Banks to buy into the equity. In the current climate this could be a real problem.

Toggie says it will go through planning no probs.It wont matter a toss if it doesnt Alex n John will call it in!!!!!!!!!!

The big Banks are all keeping a hold of their money due to the credit squeeze, and the possibility of really bad financial results, primarily due to the USA sub prime business collapse.

As they say when America sneezes, the world catches a cold - and this situation must effect Romanov and his Bank.

I do not believe that Ukio has the assets to take on all the 51M projects costs and they will be looking to other Banks to buy into the equity. In the current climate this could be a real problem.

It is a massive issue. Pedro/Raymond's attitude of 'trust us' and 'it is our money' is not really enough to give the fans confidence on this.

Will still be possible for the club/UBIG to run out of money after the main stand is knocked down.

I am clueless as to how these things work........can anyone tell me

a) when the council are due to meet re this application

B) when a decision will be made public

jamboinglasgow
It is a massive issue. Pedro/Raymond's attitude of 'trust us' and 'it is our money' is not really enough to give the fans confidence on this.

Will still be possible for the club/UBIG to run out of money after the main stand is knocked down.

to be honest, something drasticly bad would have to happen to UBIG for that to happen. Yes there is a slow down in the world economy at the momment however companies will be more willing to invest in an area where they will most likely see a likely profit. A major commerical development like this can be quite profitable and the fact it has a hotel will also benefit. Though a downturn in the world economy shouldn't affect certain tourism i.e. hotel rooms in popular locations should fine but airlines may be affected. With less money people are less likely to fly to distant locations and so will use more local destinations. This would mean a hotel at Tynecastle will have a different demographic but it would still mean the hotel is full.

Plus also this is not likely to be completed till 2010, by that time the "credit crunch" nature of the markets should of been corrected though the economy is increasing at a slower rate.

From what I can tell, they'd find it very difficult to find fault with the plans from a planning perspective. It seems to tick all the right boxes in terms of the local plan and the fact that Gorgie is earmarked for urban regeneration makes the proposal pretty strong. In principle, it's exactly the sort of development that the council are looking for in this area as you mentioned.

I'm no expert, but it seems that you'd have to look pretty damn hard to find a decent reason to refuse the application outright. Unless they find some pernickety loopholes they can use to stall the process, it looks fairly watertight.

Cheers NT.

Good health to you.

UnworthyPapaLazaru

That'll be [EDITED]

Maybe I missed something along the way but has UKIO been mentioned specifically in connection with the investment side of things? I thought UBIG were driving that particular vehicle....

Carefull. good news not welcome on this board today . . .

you call this good news.............................

to be honest, something drasticly bad would have to happen to UBIG for that to happen. Yes there is a slow down in the world economy at the momment however companies will be more willing to invest in an area where they will most likely see a likely profit. A major commerical development like this can be quite profitable and the fact it has a hotel will also benefit. Though a downturn in the world economy shouldn't affect certain tourism i.e. hotel rooms in popular locations should fine but airlines may be affected. With less money people are less likely to fly to distant locations and so will use more local destinations. This would mean a hotel at Tynecastle will have a different demographic but it would still mean the hotel is full.

Plus also this is not likely to be completed till 2010, by that time the "credit crunch" nature of the markets should of been corrected though the economy is increasing at a slower rate.

It might be profitable. It might be a major millstone round UBIG's neck and lose tens of millions. Their creditworthiness across the businesses they run could disappear. Who knows who UBIG plan to borrow from for this or other developments they have? The credit crunch/global downturn could hit them hard in a variety of ways.

It will be interesting to see who wants to stay at a hotel in an out of town situation. It will be interesting to see if the offices are ever filled.

The other factor is that most commercial developments don't have to deliver a stand/facilities for a football club.

Charlie-Brown
It might be profitable. It might be a major millstone round UBIG's neck and lose tens of millions. Their creditworthiness across the businesses they run could disappear. Who knows who UBIG plan to borrow from for this or other developments they have? The credit crunch/global downturn could hit them hard in a variety of ways.

It will be interesting to see who wants to stay at a hotel in an out of town situation. It will be interesting to see if the offices are ever filled.

The other factor is that most commercial developments don't have to deliver a stand/facilities for a football club.

Corstorphine, Maybury, Craigleith & South Queensferry are all as 'out of town' as Gorgie and all have fairly prominent Hotels.

There is also a massive shortage of Hotel space in Edinburgh.

"The Scottish Executive have set an aspirational target of 50% growth in the value of Scottish tourism by 2015. In order to meet this growth target, a recent report on tourism accomodation within the Edinburgh city region has highlighted a requirement for 1500 additional beds of a four star standard. As we are already a major player in the Edinburgh accomodation market with our three properties consistently in high demand, we feel we are best placed to capitalise on this."

Angela Vickers, Managing Director of Apex Hotels.

http://www.apexhotels.co.uk/hotel/new-hotels/

Corstorphine, Maybury, Craigleith & South Queensferry are all as 'out of town' as Gorgie and all have fairly prominent Hotels.

"The Scottish Executive have set an aspirational target of 50% growth in the value of Scottish tourism by 2015. In order to meet this growth target, a recent report on tourism accomodation within the Edinburgh city region has highlighted a requirement for 1500 additional beds of a four star standard. As we are already a major player in the Edinburgh accomodation market with our three properties consistently in high demand, we feel we are best placed to capitalise on this."

Yes these hotels have all been built during a long period of global economic growth/easy financial conditions. These situations might or might not have changed now.

I am not sure that the Scottish Executive can forecast growth in hotel visitor numbers effectively or not.

Anyway, picking on that point is sidestepping the issue really.

Yes these hotels have all been built during a long period of global economic growth/easy financial conditions. These situations might or might not have changed now.

I am not sure that the Scottish Executive can forecast growth in hotel visitor numbers effectively or not.

Anyway, picking on that point is sidestepping the issue really.

You're obviously not fortunate enough (ahem) to be on the council's mailing list...they just released their extremely exciting annual report for the city centre and hotel occupancy is up on last year. It's expected to continue rising because Edinburgh has one of the most sustainable tourist industries in the world. Dunno about the rest of it, but it would seem that the hotel part is a safe bet profit-wise.

You're obviously not fortunate enough (ahem) to be on the council's mailing list...they just released their extremely exciting annual report for the city centre and hotel occupancy is up on last year. It's expected to continue rising because Edinburgh has one of the most sustainable tourist industries in the world. Dunno about the rest of it, but it would seem that the hotel part is a safe bet profit-wise.

Yes, no doubt the Council think that tourist visits will increase. Their forecasts are subject to just as much doubt as anyone else's.

No doubt the stag and hen capital of the country will continue to attract people.

Anyway the broader point rests - property developments of this type are a risky situation in the current economic climate.

Yes, no doubt the Council think that tourist visits will increase. Their forecasts are subject to just as much doubt as anyone else's.

No doubt the stag and hen capital of the country will continue to attract people.

Anyway the broader point rests - property developments of this type are a risky situation in the current economic climate.

I don't know nearly enough about UBIG or its business interests to try and forecast what effect the current economic problems might have on it, but I do know that commercial property is still considered to be a safe bet. Prices went down by about 11% in 2007 but number crunching analyst types reckon that the worst is already over and there's still demand in Edinburgh.

The prospects of the development seem pretty safe as far as investments go, I guess it comes down to any potential reasons why UBIG can't safely ringfence the ?51m. Although going on what little I have heard and/or read about them...I can't imagine what those reasons might be.

Thunderstruck

If, repeat if, there is to be a recession or "correction" in the stock markets, I think you will find a move of money to more secure and less risky investments such as Govt Bonds, Krugerrands under the bed and property. This might work in favour of a sensible, mixed use development.

Thanks for insight/update NT. :)

Toxteth O'Grady

This will be what the press pick up on

Corporate guests (thats the ones who keep the Edinburgh hotel industry alive for 8 months of the year) want to be bang in the city centre, unless an out of town (centre) hotel has something right on its doorstep they want to visit. Nothing in the Gorgie area I can think of would attract significant numbers of corporate guests AWAY from the hotels they currently use.(And you would have to poach them from other hotels) That means as well as being top class, you have to be cheap, not an ideal position for a new build hotel and any chain getting involved in the running of it (I understand it will be offered to a chain to run) will take that into account when talking hard cash.

Edinburgh has a shortage of hotels for about 8 weeks a year. The whole of August, half of September, Rugby weekends and a couple of big conferences. The rest of the time its a highly competitive market and Edinburgh is rarely out of space. There isnt one single 4 star hotel in Edinburgh that achieves more than 92% occupancy consistently (outwith the 3 weeks of the festival)

50% growth in Scottish tourism in 7 years cannot possibly be achieved. Everyone who works at a high level in the indutsry knows this. Its a government wishlist and nothing more than that. 1500 beds is a good estimate of what might be required in high season in 7 years time but that is nothing like 50% above the current stock (more like 10%) And for 40 weeks of the year those 1500 beds will lie empty, with all the others that currently do.

This hotel project is one of at least five 4 star hotels to be built in central Edinburgh in the next 4-6 years, and its by far the furthest away from the city centre. Its enormously high risk and it will have to be something pretty special to be attractive to guests and potential buyers or leasers.

I know for a fact that Hearts have NOT employed or taken on board on a consultancy basis any one person, or any company or body who is have expertise in tourism or more particularly in the Edinburgh Hotel scene.

I know this because I recently asked Hearts, and a recruitment agency also asked on my behalf, if they were recruiting individuals with expertise in this field (my field) and they wrote back saying they had no current plans to do so.

So theyve designed a hotel WITHOUT any input from hoteliers or any expertise in the hotel industry basically. Asking for trouble IMO.

I want some of that;)

Corporate guests (thats the ones who keep the Edinburgh hotel industry alive for 8 months of the year) want to be bang in the city centre, unless an out of town (centre) hotel has something right on its doorstep they want to visit. Nothing in the Gorgie area I can think of would attract significant numbers of corporate guests AWAY from the hotels they currently use.(And you would have to poach them from other hotels) That means as well as being top class, you have to be cheap, not an ideal position for a new build hotel and any chain getting involved in the running of it (I understand it will be offered to a chain to run) will take that into account when talking hard cash.

Edinburgh has a shortage of hotels for about 8 weeks a year. The whole of August, half of September, Rugby weekends and a couple of big conferences. The rest of the time its a highly competitive market and Edinburgh is rarely out of space. There isnt one single 4 star hotel in Edinburgh that achieves more than 92% occupancy consistently (outwith the 3 weeks of the festival)

50% growth in Scottish tourism in 7 years cannot possibly be achieved. Everyone who works at a high level in the indutsry knows this. Its a government wishlist and nothing more than that. 1500 beds is a good estimate of what might be required in high season in 7 years time but that is nothing like 50% above the current stock (more like 10%) And for 40 weeks of the year those 1500 beds will lie empty, with all the others that currently do.

This hotel project is one of at least five 4 star hotels to be built in central Edinburgh in the next 4-6 years, and its by far the furthest away from the city centre. Its enormously high risk and it will have to be something pretty special to be attractive to guests and potential buyers or leasers.

I know for a fact that Hearts have NOT employed or taken on board on a consultancy basis any one person, or any company or body who is have expertise in tourism or more particularly in the Edinburgh Hotel scene.

I know this because I recently asked Hearts, and a recruitment agency also asked on my behalf, if they were recruiting individuals with expertise in this field (my field) and they wrote back saying they had no current plans to do so.

So theyve designed a hotel WITHOUT any input from hoteliers or any expertise in the hotel industry basically. Asking for trouble IMO.

Very interesting.

The Mighty Thor

Sounds about right.

They've been trying to build and run a football team without any input from anyone that has expertise in football management.

it's why we're 10th and our season is over in January.

I am clueless as to how these things work........can anyone tell me

a) when the council are due to meet re this application

B) when a decision will be made public

The application will not be considered by the Council until all the consultations have been completed and any problems have been put back to Hearts to resolve. If the pre-application discussions have been effective this may not be a major hurdle. the officers dealing with the application then have to present a report with a recommendation either for approval or refusal. Give the complexity of the application it could be several months before a report is completed.

The decision will be public as soon as it has been made by the Council. Incidentally the meeting when it is considered should be open to the public.

Corporate guests (thats the ones who keep the Edinburgh hotel industry alive for 8 months of the year) want to be bang in the city centre, unless an out of town (centre) hotel has something right on its doorstep they want to visit.

Closer to the corporate offices at the Gyle than the city centre?

Closer to the corporate offices at the Gyle than the city centre?

True, but then you have the Holiday Inn at Corstorphine, The Marriott, the airport hotels and the new one going to be built at Edinburgh Park to compete with (all closer to the Gyle than Gorgie is)

Nobody seems to have factored the huge developments along Fountainbridge into their analysis of the hotels viability.

The Scottish Widows expansion steelwork is already up, HBOS corporate are at New Uberior house and their business banking has been displaced as far down as Grove Street. with the develpments on other side of the road catching up. With the redevelopment of the Brewery site Fountainbridge looks set to see the West end business district extend as far as the old S&N HQ across the bridge from the Diggers abd possibly on into the gap site next to it.

Meanwhile metropolitan Haymarket continues to overflow into previously proletarian upper Dalry bringing a host of decent restaraunts with it and while gentrification has yet to really bite in Lower Dalry and while the Lidl isn't entirely out of place the idea that there once was a pub with no windows there now seems incongruous.

Gorgie is never going to be city-centre and compared to the Scandic Crown or The Balmoral it's not a great location for a Hotel but it's not that bad and it's only going to get better. As the Centre of Gravity of the city is moving Westward Gorgie is ceasing to be quite as out of the way as it once was.

Some people think building a hotel in Gorgie is crazy

but 10 years ago you would have said the same about opening Restaurants in Dalry.

And I haven't even mentioned the direct tram services to and from the airport and train stations. Which also means that it can be effectively as close to Edinburgh Park as the Marriot or corstorphine.

givememychoice

Wrong. What you know is that they werent doing it when you asked/werent interested in you. I deal with various companies, and when phoned by recruitment agencies they say "no, we have nothing at the moment" even though that morning or whatever they advertised a position. Maybe they had consulted with an expert before you contacted them?

Im not saying they have, as i simply dont know, but then neither do you. Your last few paragraphs are worthy of the EEN. (and sorry if this tone is a bit negative, i did actually enjoy reading your post!)

Nobody seems to have factored the huge developments along Fountainbridge into their analysis of the hotels viability.

The Scottish Widows expansion steelwork is already up, HBOS corporate are at New Uberior house and their business banking has been displaced as far down as Grove Street. with the develpments on other side of the road catching up. With the redevelopment of the Brewery site Fountainbridge looks set to see the West end business district extend as far as the old S&N HQ across the bridge from the Diggers abd possibly on into the gap site next to it.

Meanwhile metropolitan Haymarket continues to overflow into previously proletarian upper Dalry bringing a host of decent restaraunts with it and while gentrification has yet to really bite in Lower Dalry and while the Lidl isn't entirely out of place the idea that there once was a pub with no windows there now seems incongruous.

Gorgie is never going to be city-centre and compared to the Scandic Crown or The Balmoral it's not a great location for a Hotel but it's not that bad and it's only going to get better. As the Centre of Gravity of the city is moving Westward Gorgie is ceasing to be quite as out of the way as it once was.

Some people think building a hotel in Gorgie is crazy

but 10 years ago you would have said the same about opening Restaurants in Dalry.

And I haven't even mentioned the direct tram services to and from the airport and train stations. Which also means that it can be effectively as close to Edinburgh Park as the Marriot or corstorphine.

An hotel in Gorgie would surely clean up when the six nations rugby is on? Two/three times a year I know but...

BTW this "Upper Dalridian" while trying to remain true to his proletarian roots and principles is enjoying the slight gentrification of his locale. ;)

Archived