U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Also Stacey Abrams response was pretty good, and in a slot that's almost uniformly awful and truly cringeworthy (See Bobby Jindal, Marco Rubio, and Joe Kennedy), that made it one of the best ever.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Craig Gordons Gloves

Due to a snowstorm on my way home (2 1/2 hours to do a 40 min journey) I got home and had stuff to do that stopped me from watching the clown. It appears i didn't miss anything although i did enjoy the tweets counting his 'sniffs'.  45 was the total.  I do like the Nancy Pelosi eff you clap that i've seen in memes since. 

cdfe9cb2-7755-4131-9e88-627ace3dbab6.jpe

Edited by Craig Gordons Gloves

His comment about El Paso going from one of the most dangerous city in the USA to one of the safest, because of a wall, caught my eye.  I thought to myself, "That's incredible."

But it was President Pants-on-fire who said it, so I should have known better.

Here's the fact checker report.  The crime rate actually went higher after the wall was built:

Claim: "The border city of El Paso, Texas, used to have extremely high rates of violent crime -- one of the highest in the country, and considered one of our nation's most dangerous cities. Now, with a powerful barrier in place, El Paso is one of our safest cities."
The President's statement, which has been repeated by public officials and the White House over the course of the last year, makes an inaccurate connection.
According to an analysis of FBI crimes data and city law enforcement data analyzed by the El Paso Times, violent crime in El Paso peaked in 1993. Border fence construction didn't begin until 2008, and was completed in 2009. But violent crime fell long before the wall was built in El Paso, with violent crime falling 34% between 1993 and 2006 in the city.
And according to the El Paso Times, from 2006 to 2011, violent crime in El Paso actually increased by 17 percent.

Francis Albert
21 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Due to a snowstorm on my way home (2 1/2 hours to do a 40 min journey) I got home and had stuff to do that stopped me from watching the clown. It appears i didn't miss anything although i did enjoy the tweets counting his 'sniffs'.  45 was the total.  I do like the Nancy Pelosi eff you clap that i've seen in memes since. 

cdfe9cb2-7755-4131-9e88-627ace3dbab6.jpe

I am not sure what looks more ridiculous. Trump looking for her reaction or Pelosi's bizarre gesture which was apparently repeated several times.

Francis Albert
22 hours ago, Ugly American said:

He actually said, "you weren't supposed to do that!"

What a trainwreck of a speech. He does fear and loathing as well as any politician in my lifetime, but now with the House in Democratic hands he has to do "unity." So his version of unity is, "let's all come together in peace and harmony and if you don't do it my way I'M GOING TO START KILLING PEOPLE!"

Yet it seems according to some polls to have got a positive approval rating. So in his terms maybe less than a train wreck?

Just watched Nancy Pelosi for the second time talking about commitees. She should either get some dental help or stop trying to say oversight, which has both times come out as overshight. The may well be a lot of shight but should not be referred to as such on TV.

Edited by bobsharp

3 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Trump currently is the subject of 17 investigations. Mueller is just one potential headshot.

The New York fraud squad will come knocking soon. Or whatever they're called.

23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The New York fraud squad will come knocking soon. Or whatever they're called.

This probably deserves its own thread, but . . . 

The gossip-chasing tabloid National Enquirer has been exceptionally friendly to Trump, with the CEO of AMI (which owns it) being a close confidant of Trump's. They're now in a cooperation deal with the US Attorney's office in NYC (technically the Southern District of the state of New York) on whether the White House used the inauguration dinner for corrupt purposes.

The Washington Post, owned by Jeff Bezos, has been digging at the deal (among other things). And, well... Bezos just dropped this on Medium, of all places.

https://medium.com/@jeffreypbezos/no-thank-you-mr-pecker-146e3922310f

:oohmatron:

Edited by Ugly American

6 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

The gossip-chasing tabloid National Enquirer has been exceptionally friendly to Trump, with the CEO of AMI (which owns it) being a close confidant of Trump's. They're now in a cooperation deal with the US Attorney's office in NYC (technically the Southern District of the state of New York) on whether the White House used the inauguration dinner for corrupt purposes.

The Washington Post, owned by Jeff Bezos, has been digging at the deal (among other things). And, well... Bezos just dropped this on Medium, of all places.

Cheers ? 

3 hours ago, Ugly American said:

This seems so insane I had to go and check other news sources to make sure it was real. It's on the BBC and Guardian pages so that seems to confirm it.

Apparently, part of the plea bargain people at the newspaper struck with regards to illegal campaign financing was that they avoid jail if they don't commit a crime for three years. Looks like that arrangement is out the window.

14 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Apparently, part of the plea bargain people at the newspaper struck with regards to illegal campaign financing was that they avoid jail if they don't commit a crime for three years. Looks like that arrangement is out the window.

:scenes:

The National Enquirer’s Alleged Threats Against Jeff Bezos Have Put It in Enormous Legal Jeopardy

First, AMI’s emails pretty plainly satisfy the elements of federal extortion, 18 U.S.C. §875(d) . . . Second, by its terms, AMI’s nonprosecution agreement with the Southern District of New York remains effective only so long as AMI commits no further crimes. An attempt to extort Bezos would almost certainly violate the agreement. . . . In the Trump hush money affair, AMI was already exposed as a political actor paying to suppress, not publish, news on behalf of a preferred candidate—hardly a constitutionally protected journalistic activity. If Bezos could show that its publication activities were also driven by partisan affiliation, or worse, money or influence from a murderous foreign government like Saudi Arabia, the damage would be multiplied. Perhaps a chance to prevent such revelations was thought worth the risk.

Notice the Nat Enquirer (aka Trump troll farm) are financially mixed up with Trump's good buddies the Sauds and Russia as well as Trump himself.  One big parcel of rogues.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Charming Trail of Tears reference. The only defense anyone has been able to come up with is that Trump is historicalły illiterate. But Trump regularly praises Andrew Jackson for a reason. Trump’s racism is a feature not a bug. Note Don Jr’s response in case anyone thinks this was unintentional.

.66CD7680-7E93-4D3B-9B39-34BB1979BE2D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Charming Trail of Tears reference. The only defense anyone has been able to come up with is that Trump is historicalły illiterate. But Trump regularly praises Andrew Jackson for a reason. Trump’s racism is a feature not a bug. Note Don Jr’s response in case anyone thinks this was unintentional.

.66CD7680-7E93-4D3B-9B39-34BB1979BE2D.jpeg

What a horrible, racist ***** this man is, as are his supporters. Using the genocide of Native American’s as political jibes. 

How folk can continue to defend this cretin is beyond me. They’re either doing it for attention or they share his vile opinions.

Read an article that Jnr has been telling friends he fully expects to be indicted.

Decision time.

Be co-operative and sing like a canary to save his own skin and put Pops in the firing line for jail time..

Or take one for pops and do more time himself.

7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Read an article that Jnr has been telling friends he fully expects to be indicted.

Decision time.

Be co-operative and sing like a canary to save his own skin and put Pops in the firing line for jail time..

He will most likely do time. If it's only perjury he ends up on, and with, I presume, no previous, he will likely do less than 6 months.

10 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Decision time.

2 minutes ago, southcap said:

He will most likely do time. If it's only perjury he ends up on, and with, I presume, no previous, he will likely do less than 6 months.

Rumour has it that it relates to tax and fraud.*

Dady's tax returns then may well subpoenaed...

*a friend was speaking to respected (former) UK broadcaster who told my friend what his sources told him this during a visit to NY.

11 minutes ago, Boris said:

Rumour has it that it relates to tax and fraud.*

Dady's tax returns then may well subpoenaed...

*a friend was speaking to respected (former) UK broadcaster who told my friend what his sources told him this during a visit to NY.

Hopefully. I think it's the state charges from NYC that is going to cause them the most grief. Can't pardon state crimes. That NYTimes article has opened up a massive can of worms on his entire family and I can't see any of them walking away from that.

Also this,

https://www.wnyc.org/story/ivanka-donald-trump-jr-close-charged-felony-fraud/

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/legal-experts-ivanka-trump-may-have-committed-felony-fraud-by-lying-about-real-estate-deals/

Craig Gordons Gloves
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

The way its going for the Democrats there will soon be more of them running for President than those who are not.

It'll get broader and then will thin out pretty quickly.  Please that Klobuchar has announced her intention to run, even if she did do it in the middle of the snowstorm we had yesterday which gave Donnie the opportunity to once again wheel out his tired joke about global warming which appeals to the brain dead amongst his support. 

Just now, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

It'll get broader and then will thin out pretty quickly.  Please that Klobuchar has announced her intention to run, even if she did do it in the middle of the snowstorm we had yesterday which gave Donnie the opportunity to once again wheel out his tired joke about global warming which appeals to the brain dead amongst his support. 

Yes old Don made comments about the snow  and blizzard  and her hair and that she was like a snowman. She responded by asking how his hair would have survived in a snowy blizzard.

48 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

It's not surprising that the con man doesn't know the difference between climate and weather.

There seems to be some noise around Qatar, Kushner, 666 (yes seriously) 5th Ave., and MBS. If I knew what was coming I'd call Vegas but Arab peninsula watchers are scratching their heads about some recent announcements.

28 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

There seems to be some noise around Qatar, Kushner, 666 (yes seriously) 5th Ave., and MBS. If I knew what was coming I'd call Vegas but Arab peninsula watchers are scratching their heads about some recent announcements.

Any word about the pending Invasion of Iran. His final destination when the noose tightens.

Just now, ri Alban said:

Any word about the pending Invasion of Iran. His final destination when the noose tightens.

It was a given when Bolton came on board that he'd be angling for Iran yet again. He's never once gotten the military on board and Congress shows no appetite for an AUMF, and now Iraq is telling Trump they won't be a doorstep for an invasion. So while I never underestimate the desire of a President, particularly a Republican, to start a war when his popularity starts to slip, it doesn't look very hot right now, thankfully.

50 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

It was a given when Bolton came on board that he'd be angling for Iran yet again. He's never once gotten the military on board and Congress shows no appetite for an AUMF, and now Iraq is telling Trump they won't be a doorstep for an invasion. So while I never underestimate the desire of a President, particularly a Republican, to start a war when his popularity starts to slip, it doesn't look very hot right now, thankfully.

?

5 hours ago, Ugly American said:

The jist of it seems to be, Kushner needed crazy money to prop up his Manhattan property deal.

He wanted the Qatar to fund it.

They told him to **** off.

All of a sudden Saudi Arabia get hold of top US intelligence files on Saudi dissidents and at the same time, start a naval blockade of Qatar.

Qatar decide to thrown money at Kushner's property.

Blockade gets lifted.

Saudi/American journalist gets chopped up in Turkey.

When it all ends, I can see Kushner getting the needle.

2 hours ago, southcap said:

When it all ends, I can see Kushner getting the needle.

The only way I can see any of these plutocrats being executed for this stuff is if the Revolution comes, and then it would be the wall or the guillotine, not the needle. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

The only way I can see any of these plutocrats being executed for this stuff is if the Revolution comes, and then it would be the wall or the guillotine, not the needle. :lol:

You're right that it's most likely highly wishful thinking, but he seems like the one that really is going in the deep end in terms of pure corruption and it would appear to own the least political capital.

Also, add in the fact he's Jewish and his dad is a convicted fraudster, he will be the easiest to throw under the bus for the republican party in their attempts to save face.

Trumps and co have a rabid base, so they will most likely get off mostly unscathed due to the republican not wanting to lose that base. That rabid base is also viciously anti-jewish.

The democrats will want someone to suffer badly. Most of the rest involved are too highly connected politically, so the Flynns, Manaforts and Stone types probably won't suffer too badly.

It seems like a win-win for both sides to make him be the one that suffers most with little comeback.

Shame, lovely guy too...

The Senate Intelligence Commitee say there is no direct evidence of collusion by the Trump campaign with Russia. Dems on the committee don't totally disagree.

A thousand page agreement is submitted by a commitee to ensure no other shutdown. Trump is believed to be going to sign it, but, he will get money for the Wall from other appropriations. However this has to be approved by Congress which the Democrats rule. Aye Right Pelosi will jump to approve that.

Meanwhile slightly off subject but to me some relevance about the state of the world, Canada's Prime Minister is alleged to have interfered in a legal action involving a major company. His Justice Minister has resigned and she is supposedly going to tell the whole story about obstruction of justice a criminal offence, for some reason I feel I have heard this sorry before.

Strictly from interest read some stories about Brexit, it seems there is some discussion in U.K about that.

Even in the Province of British Columbia, two senior staffers of the previous government are being investigated for using government money for expensive holidays, and personal purchases.

I can remember days of standing in the pub in Edinburgh listening to old guys discuss politics, and you could bet money on someone saying, "Aye they are all crooks", I wonder what they would think of this times politicians.

Edited by bobsharp

12 hours ago, southcap said:

You're right that it's most likely highly wishful thinking, but he seems like the one that really is going in the deep end in terms of pure corruption and it would appear to own the least political capital.

Also, add in the fact he's Jewish and his dad is a convicted fraudster, he will be the easiest to throw under the bus for the republican party in their attempts to save face.

Trumps and co have a rabid base, so they will most likely get off mostly unscathed due to the republican not wanting to lose that base. That rabid base is also viciously anti-jewish.

The democrats will want someone to suffer badly. Most of the rest involved are too highly connected politically, so the Flynns, Manaforts and Stone types probably won't suffer too badly.

It seems like a win-win for both sides to make him be the one that suffers most with little comeback.

Shame, lovely guy too...

Bannon’s fall was allegedly that he wanted to throw Kushner under the bus as the fall guy for the Russia mess, but Trump is loyal to family until the end it seems.

As to what Democrats want from Trump, well, at this point this is a fair approximation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25_5aBnMHwA

8 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Bannon’s fall was allegedly that he wanted to throw Kushner under the bus as the fall guy for the Russia mess, but Trump is loyal to family until the end it seems.

As to what Democrats want from Trump, well, at this point this is a fair approximation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25_5aBnMHwA

Out of all the wrong uns involved so far, Bannon has appeared to be the most sensible/shrewd.

And the only thing worse than a wrong un, is a capable wrong un.

Former F.B.I Director McCabe is in a book admitting that he was checking how many of the elected would support a 25th Amendment action against Trump. He had started looking at potential evidence. Rosenstein is mentioned in the book and he again vehemently denies that he was asked or was going to wear a wire when dealing with Trump. What a mess, two years of a Presidency with intrigue, lies, investigations, indictments and people going to jail, as in Manaforts situation a sentence that as a seventy year old man will possibly mean he will die in prison. And Republican Senators, Congressmen still give support to Trump, not because they believe in him, purely for their self motivation of career survival.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Played a blinder there, in fairness to him.

I'm not so sure.  The Dems need to keep hammering on the fact that he is breaking one of his major campaign promises, that Mexico would pay for a wall from sea to sea.

Now he is making it clear that the American taxpayers will pay for a very short wall, only about 200 miles, I believe.

There couldn't be a more obvious broken promise, and the Dems need to hammer that message home in the run up to the 2020 election.

19 hours ago, Barack said:

Played a blinder there, in fairness to him.

Keeps many people happy, on his side of the fence, and will look to demonise the Democrats with any legal challenge they (likely will) make.

There will be numerous legal challenges but it might get stopped cold by Congress anyway. Truman tried to seize steel mills in the 50s using a national emergency and was smacked down by Congress. The Supreme Court ruled that once Congress said nope, the emergency was over.

Pelosi will have a resolution out of the House by the close of business today, I'm reasonably sure, and McConnell has to bring it to a vote, which he really does not want to do, because the 6-7 moderate GOP Senators really don't want to be on record backing this dumb thing.  So there's a very real chance it fails.

Let him demonize the Democrats. The wall is unpopular, people (rightly) blame him for the stupid and destructive shutdown, and being anti-Trump is proving a better mortar for holding the always fractured Democratic party together than anything in my lifetime.

What a fecking clown just said that he doesn't know Ann Coulter, well I hardly know her, In fact I haven't spoken to her in about a year.

So in one sentence it went from I don't know her to I haven't spoken to her in about a year.

Starting to lose it with the media again.

I was of course too rosy in predicting Pelosi would get a resolution out of the House by tonight. Congress never moves that fast on anything, silly me.

It will pass next week, I have to think, probably with about 300 votes.

He's becoming more deranged by the month.  Here's a tweet of his from 2014 referring to Executive action by Obama:

"Repubs must not allow Pres Obama to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress."

5 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

It's terrifying that this guy is the President of the US.   It really is.

Indeed, but who is really in charge Trump or Sean Hannity?

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)