U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

I watched the news yesterday to see if any result came from the big White House meeting, nothing, stalemate. What was quite interesting to me was Trump making a statement that he would have made a really good General. As one would expect this led to a review of his military deferments from service potentally in Vietnam.

He received four education related deferments, in 1968 he had graduated so was listed as  liable for service. He was examined by a family doctor who diagnosed a bone spur. Trump was later interviewed about this and stated it was on the heel of one foot, he was unable to say which foot.  On a later interview he stated that the problem was on both feet, when further questioned he removed his shoes and advised the interviewer the spurs were on the back of his heels, he stated there was no limitations to his ability to walk but that doing long distance marches as done by the military was out of the question so he had a medical deferment.

It was later found that the doctor doing the diagnosis was paid well for the examination, and was living in a Trump owned apartment for a very low rent, it was also suggested that where Trump indicated the spurs were present was not in fact a proper location for such a condition. It wasn't stated but my own opinion is that this man who claims a superior intellect thought because he was supposed to have bone spurs that he felt they would be where one would wear spurs. Even if I liked or at least respected the man, by his own mouth and ridiculous claims he would have destroyed that feeling, he is without doubt an idiot of the first order, why do people especially those in a position of power continue to pander to him, when it all comes to the ultimate end, like the Titanic escape will be too late and they will go down with him.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Don't go down the rabbit hole, UA. 

Just saying. 

Wasn't planning on it, but cheers all the same. I figure you occasionally extend some folks some good faith -- did it with niblick periodically. But trying to do better about getting in pointless arguments. The old saying about wrestling a pig...

9 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

The Dept of Defense is being run by a former Boeing Exec, The EPA is being run by a former Coal Industry Exec, the Dept of the Interior is about to be run by a former Oil Industry Lobbyist and Health & Human Services is run by a former Pharmaceutical lobbyist.

How's the swamp draining going?

That's a question for Francis, Alpha and Jake.

Edited by ri Alban

7 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Wasn't planning on it, but cheers all the same. I figure you occasionally extend some folks some good faith -- did it with niblick periodically. But trying to do better about getting in pointless arguments. The old saying about wrestling a pig...

You know, I've been thinking for a while that this place is fractionally less bat shit crazy than it used to be and I couldn't put my finger on why. 

Now I realise it's because Nibbles seems to have disappeared. The New World Order finally get to him then? 

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

You know, I've been thinking for a while that this place is fractionally less bat shit crazy than it used to be and I couldn't put my finger on why. 

Now I realise it's because Nibbles seems to have disappeared. The New World Order finally get to him then? 

The kiss of death post.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The kiss of death post.

Aw ****. I figured it'd be safe as I thought he'd been ban hammered. Is he just on holiday then? 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Aw ****. I figured it'd be safe as I thought he'd been ban hammered. Is he just on holiday then? 

I’m sure he disappeared before for a while then reappeared.

Unknown user
35 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

He's not the only gobshite on a sabbatical, there are a couple of other prominent bollocksmiths giving us peace just now. 

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I have no idea what rabbit hole I might have been dragging you down but I don't think anyone is asking you for your "good faith". On Trump (for whom I have never expressed any love or respect)  and Brexit the board is increasingly intolerant of any view which differs not just in opinion but in the manner of expressing opinion from the consensus.

Which if you are into talking to a mirror (or your kettle) is I suppose fine.

9 hours ago, Ugly American said:

There's nothing wrong with a good argument or debate, and you won't always get that from people who agree with you. 

It's sensible to distinguish between diversity and toxicity, and to give the latter a wide berth.  But temptation can be a terrible thing.  :whistling:

I've never wrestled a pig, so I can legitimately claim to be undefeated in that sport.  :laugh: 

Edited by Ulysses

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I have no idea what rabbit hole I might have been dragging you down but I don't think anyone is asking you for your "good faith". On Trump (for whom I have never expressed any love or respect)  and Brexit the board is increasingly intolerant of any view which differs not just in opinion but in the manner of expressing opinion from the consensus.

:D

I see that Trump is resorting to fast and loose logic when it comes to his campaign promise that Mexico will pay for the wall.

"Mexico will be paying for the wall because they signed a trade agreement to replace NAFTA."

Oh, OK then.  :confused:

Watt-Zeefuik
11 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

"Good faith" is essential to a good conversation, even in heated disagreement. It means that both sides are entering the conversation actually interested in hashing the point out, rather than point-scoring, trolling for effect, or adopting a posture for show.

I'd suggest you try it some time.

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

That's a question for Francis, Alpha and Jake.

I think that its best for me to confine my viewing of all things presidential to ‘Designated Survivor.’

On 03/01/2019 at 18:59, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

The Dept of Defense is being run by a former Boeing Exec, The EPA is being run by a former Coal Industry Exec, the Dept of the Interior is about to be run by a former Oil Industry Lobbyist and Health & Human Services is run by a former Pharmaceutical lobbyist.

How's the swamp draining going?

To be fair he's drained it of people pro-those industries and just put them in charge.

So quite well, I suppose. As desperately sad that is.

Especially on climate change.

I actually heard Dump say that the 1m people he is depriving of pay would say "keep going with the shutdown". Let them eat wall, eh.  

On 03/01/2019 at 21:20, bobsharp said:

What was quite interesting to me was Trump making a statement that he would have made a really good General.

I think Trump has just had his Dubya moment, you know the one, when Bush Jnr stood on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln and said that it was 'mission accomplished in Iraq'.

Seems that the US is now backtracking from the statement made by Field-Marshal Trump that ISIS were defeated and that all US troops would be coming home, because John Bolton has just said on a visit to Israel that the withdrawl of US troops was conditional on the defeat of the remaining pockets of ISIS fighters which still remain in Syria.

But but but weren't we reliably informed by the USA's greatest ever war hero that ISIS had already been defeated.

And to highlight that ISIS are still a threat in Syria, it's being reported here in the UK that 2 SAS soldiers have been badly injured and a Kurdish soldier killed in a rocket attack launched by ISIS on their position.

Harry Potter
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think Trump has just had his Dubya moment, you know the one, when Bush Jnr stood on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln and said that it was 'mission accomplished in Iraq'.

Seems that the US is now backtracking from the statement made by Field-Marshal Trump that ISIS were defeated and that all US troops would be coming home, because John Bolton has just said on a visit to Israel that the withdrawl of US troops was conditional on the defeat of the remaining pockets of ISIS fighters which still remain in Syria.

But but but weren't we reliably informed by the USA's greatest ever war hero that ISIS had already been defeated.

And to highlight that ISIS are still a threat in Syria, it's being reported here in the UK that 2 SAS soldiers have been badly injured and a Kurdish soldier killed in a rocket attack launched by ISIS on their position.

Trump say it how it is, bit lost on the lefties on here, tbf im not a fan , but some get their knickers in a twist, hes the main man in the usa get over it.,

25 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Trump say it how it is, bit lost on the lefties on here, tbf im not a fan , but some get their knickers in a twist, hes the main man in the usa get over it.,

Naw, he just makes up utter lies or repeats conspiracy theories he saw on telly, quite often contradicting himself multiple times per day.

The US administration is in complete chaos, running on the whims of a dangerously unstable, deluded and very possibly senile old man.

33 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

He quite literally does the opposite of that. 

God damn righties not paying attention eh? Put your specs on Harry. 

23 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Sorry but I have to disagree with that statement, this from a lifetime conservative.

Harry Potter
10 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Sorry but I have to disagree with that statement, this from a lifetime conservative.

Whatever bud from a shop/steward labour dude , problem now most head of state (syria) lies and hurts his 

own folk. My dad could not go past the tories, miss him so much Bob

I have seen a few medical and psych experts interviewed on TV about Trump. There is a somewhat consensus that Trum actually believes what he says, it sounds to me like they are saying he has his own sense of reality, what he is stating is what he sees in his own mind, I find that even more terrifying than my opinion that he is a compulsive liar, a con man, and has the character of the guys who used to sell kids a ball at the shows to throw at an item that was ac tually nailed to the wall and could not be knocked off so it could be won. A cheap crook.

Unknown user

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

He's the biggest proven liar the white house has seen, he literally says it how it isn't.

Edited by Smithee

Harry Potter
18 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He's the biggest proven liar the white house has seen, he literally says it how it isn't.

Aye mate, but he was voted in by millions, i dont give a hobo about america but thats how it is FTH

Harry Potter
26 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I have seen a few medical and psych experts interviewed on TV about Trump. There is a somewhat consensus that Trum actually believes what he says, it sounds to me like they are saying he has his own sense of reality, what he is stating is what he sees in his own mind, I find that even more terrifying than my opinion that he is a compulsive liar, a con man, and has the character of the guys who used to sell kids a ball at the shows to throw at an item that was ac tually nailed to the wall and could not be knocked off so it could be won. A cheap crook.

So whats the story on the mups that voted him in bob, must have a reason, tbh like i said i dont care about the usa, apart 

from pumpin them at golf., one place i will never be, 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye mate, but he was voted in by millions, i dont give a hobo about america but thats how it is FTH

Well yeah but I don't see how that means I can't have an opinion on him, or how that makes him telling it how it is

Harry Potter
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well yeah but I don't see how that means I can't have an opinion on him, or how that makes him telling it how it is

Your opinion is cool mate , sorry never meant that, we are gorgie boys. Trump gettin between us. wee thought there

21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

18 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

So whats the story on the mups that voted him in bob, must have a reason, tbh like i said i dont care about the usa, apart 

For someone who doesn't give a damn about the USA, you seem to be getting quite excited about the opinions of people towards a man, who is the elected leader of a country you couldn't care less about.

P.S. I'm many things but being a lefty certainly isn't one of them.

57 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I believe a lot of the American population did feel a change was needed in American politics. They had elected the first black American President, with reasonable success. There was now something different needed, unfortunately the possible first woman President was, Hillary Clinton, and that was pretty well a no no right from the start, the second alternative was a supposedly succesful businessman with absolutely no political bac kground at all, he had TV experience and used it in the Campaign to show himself as a man of the people who would make changes that a person not a politico would make. He also appealed to the evangelicals with Roe v Wade and some gender choices. He showed some racial bias, and developed a following that is now described as his base. He campaigned heavily in States Clinton didn't and I understand that gave him the electoral college win that gave him the election, again as I understand without winning the popular vote.

He has turned out ot be exactly what some were afraid of , a charicature of the person he portrayed in the Apprentice. He is over his head in the job, and does what he done in business, lies and tells the customer what he thinks they want to hear, because of his racial, religious , and anti left rhetoric his base still believe in him, but as happens in life they will, as most of us have at some time, wake up one morning, think this is not right and do something about what you have been misled into believing.

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I believe a lot of the American population did feel a change was needed in American politics. They had elected the first black American President, with reasonable success. There was now something different needed, unfortunately the possible first woman President was, Hillary Clinton, and that was pretty well a no no right from the start, the second alternative was a supposedly succesful businessman with absolutely no political bac kground at all, he had TV experience and used it in the Campaign to show himself as a man of the people who would make changes that a person not a politico would make. He also appealed to the evangelicals with Roe v Wade and some gender choices. He showed some racial bias, and developed a following that is now described as his base. He campaigned heavily in States Clinton didn't and I understand that gave him the electoral college win that gave him the election, again as I understand without winning the popular vote.

He has turned out ot be exactly what some were afraid of , a charicature of the person he portrayed in the Apprentice. He is over his head in the job, and does what he done in business, lies and tells the customer what he thinks they want to hear, because of his racial, religious , and anti left rhetoric his base still believe in him, but as happens in life they will, as most of us have at some time, wake up one morning, think this is not right and do something about what you have been misled into believing.

:greatpost:

Harry Potter
28 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Bit like british poliitics a waste o breath, been there, stopped a strike, i dont care anymore, leave the tree huggers to abuse trump/

Wheres the lefties feeding the poor, oh wait, too busy up their own cracks

12 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Bit like british poliitics a waste o breath, been there, stopped a strike, i dont care anymore, leave the tree huggers to abuse trump/

:blah:

19 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

:olly:

Francis Albert

Read a couple of columnists, one in yesterday's Guardian and one in today's Mail who agreed on one thing - that in the case of Syria if not much else Trump has got it right. The area has huge armies, bristling with modern weapons (American, British and French) in states opposed to ISIS. There is no reason why these cannot take care of the remnants of ISIS without a mere 2000 US troops. Trump is the first president to challenge the disastrous JFK pledge to act as world policeman in defence of "liberty" (as defined by the US). After the disasters of the 50 odd years since JFK's pledge, not least the west's interventions in the Middle East and North Africa, this is surely something at least to be grateful for.

19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Read a couple of columnists, one in yesterday's Guardian and one in today's Mail who agreed on one thing - that in the case of Syria if not much else Trump has got it right. The area has huge armies, bristling with modern weapons (American, British and French) in states opposed to ISIS. There is no reason why these cannot take care of the remnants of ISIS without a mere 2000 US troops. Trump is the first president to challenge the disastrous JFK pledge to act as world policeman in defence of "liberty" (as defined by the US). After the disasters of the 50 odd years since JFK's pledge, not least the west's interventions in the Middle East and North Africa, this is surely something at least to be grateful for.

No argument with the content of your post, of course I am sure that you are as aware as I that journalists have as many opposite views as we do here on JKB.  I personally see the biggest criticism of Trump in the Syria matter is that he seems to have arbitrarily made the decision himself without any consultation with those who are in the Cabinet and White House as advisers. Hence the resignation of Mattis, and condemnation by many of the Generals who have been and those who would never be members of the Presidents staff. Many are concerned about how he comes to some of his decisions, it is alleged he never reads briefing papers, listens to advisers then goes his own way anyway, and whether he likes it or not the United States regardless of the foundation of the responsibilities have put themselves in a position that any major withdrawl from some of these responsibilities will cost them greatly in foreign relations.

I remember sitting in classrooms reading and being taught about the high international responsibilities of the Empire, and how the kilties marching behind a pipe band were the undefeatable enforcers of these policies and perceived responsibilities. We have now seen how that ended, and the mess the world that they protected has ended up.

rs

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

If you had been eligible to vote for Trump or Clinton who would you have voted for?

14 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

No argument with the content of your post, of course I am sure that you are as aware as I that journalists have as many opposite views as we do here on JKB.  I personally see the biggest criticism of Trump in the Syria matter is that he seems to have arbitrarily made the decision himself without any consultation with those who are in the Cabinet and White House as advisers. Hence the resignation of Mattis, and condemnation by many of the Generals who have been and those who would never be members of the Presidents staff. Many are concerned about how he comes to some of his decisions, it is alleged he never reads briefing papers, listens to advisers then goes his own way anyway, and whether he likes it or not the United States regardless of the foundation of the responsibilities have put themselves in a position that any major withdrawl from some of these responsibilities will cost them greatly in foreign relations.

I remember sitting in classrooms reading and being taught about the high international responsibilities of the Empire, and how the kilties marching behind a pipe band were the undefeatable enforcers of these policies and perceived responsibilities. We have now seen how that ended, and the mess the world that they protected has ended up.

This.  Whenever the United States of America leaves a strategic geopolitical vacancy, it will be occupied by others, and generally speaking those others will not act in the best interests of the United States.

There are many reasons why the United States may have to concede geopolitical space, but the buffoonery and childishness of an illiterate nincompoop are not good reasons. 

Ultimately, the real problem with Trump is not that he is stupid, or insecure, or childish, or skittish, or vulgar, or a laughing stock, or that he does things that piss off some people.  Those failings are not unique to Trump.  The real problem with Trump is that he does not act in the best interests of the United States of America.  That is a very big and very obvious failing for a President.

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

???

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

rs

And I have no argument with the content of your post. Trump's "style" (or idiocy) means he will get almost everything wrong but occasionally he will get something right. Not consulting with the military "experts" is wrong but it would have been for the better if a few of his predecessors, having consulted with them, had chosen not to take their advice.

(Incidentally Simon Jenkins in the Guardian drew a similar analogy as you have done with the British Empire.)

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Les Izemore said:

If you had been eligible to vote for Trump or Clinton who would you have voted for?

Very good question bud, stick my jambo neck on the kb chopping board, Trump for his acting 

on his policies. 

ears.png

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Bollox. Is there nothing you will not back yer man on. He's a dobber who wants these troops for his wall.

Very good question bud, stick my jambo neck on the kb chopping board, Trump for his acting 

on his policies. 

ears.png

Which policies?  As soon as the recession hits, America through tax cuts, will have no money to save themselves. Oh, that will be good to watch, as trump is crucified on his own wall.

Watching cnn and they show a clip of Sarah Huckabee Sanders being interviewed on Fox news. She states that four thousand terrorists have been arrested at the border so a wall must be built. The interviewer says I was interested in that number and contacted Homeland Security about it, they say there have been no terrorist suspects arrested at the Border, there have been at the airports. Sarah started to explain and was cut short. The reporter took the time to check the numbers and locations, you would think she as the Presidents spokesperson and representative would have done the same. It is just another example of the egotism of the White House that they think they can say what they like and no one will question it. Of course they just have to repeat the figures to Hannity or Carlson and they will not be questioned.

Edited by bobsharp

Slashes taxes. Economy goes up a bit. But national debt soars by $2 TRILLION  to a total of $21.6tn as they now have to borrow dosh to pay for the things that the taxes used to pay for.

Donny doesn't care as he'll not have to be the one that pays it off. Classic short term thinking.

Edited by Cade

Watt-Zeefuik

This is quite the article if the reporting holds up.  The wall was something his advisors cooked up to keep him on message, intending it to just stand in for hating on immigrants in general.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/us/politics/donald-trump-border-wall.html

Instead, it's turned into a personal obsession that he won't let go and it's keeping his toadies from doing the kind of kid-stealing, brown people hating that they wanted to do instead of a concrete wall.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)