U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

3 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Jerome Corsi refuses plea deal:

“They can put me in prison the rest of my life. I am not going to sign a lie”

Asked what happens now that he is refusing, Corsi responded: “I don’t know.”

A spokesman for the special counsel’s office had no comment.

Last week, Corsi acknowledged he was in plea negotiations with Mueller’s office, and earlier this month, he said he expected to be indicted for “giving false information to the special counsel or to one of the other grand jury.”

Corsi said Monday that he believed he would by lying by signing the plea agreement because he says he did not wilfully mislead anyone.

Describing his experience with Mueller’s team as “like being interrogated as a POW in the Korean War,” Corsi said after two months of questioning, prosecutors believed they caught him in various lies and did not appear to believe him when he said he could not recall certain events.

Corsi insisted he had no contact with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and that “investigators were so mad because I didn’t give them what they wanted.” CNN

I wonder how Trump's record on indictments and convictions of associates compare to previous Presidents of either party?  I suspect that he has more than all Presidents since WWII combined!!  You can read the following and conclude, "move along everyone, nothing to see here," but others, like me, think that something stinks.  The following article is a month old ... the numbers have increased since then.

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team has indicted or gotten guilty pleas from 32 people and three companies — that we know of.

That group is composed of four former Trump advisers, 26 Russian nationals, three Russian companies, one California man, and one London-based lawyer. Six of these people (including now all four former Trump aides) have pleaded guilty.

If you also count investigations that Mueller originated but then referred elsewhere in the Justice Department, you can add plea deals from two more people to the list.

It’s a sprawling set of allegations, encompassing both election interference charges against overseas Russians, and various other crimes by American Trump advisers.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I wonder how Trump's record on indictments and convictions of associates compare to previous Presidents of either party?  I suspect that he has more than all Presidents since WWII combined!!  You can read the following and conclude, "move along everyone, nothing to see here," but others, like me, think that something stinks.  The following article is a month old ... the numbers have increased since then.

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team has indicted or gotten guilty pleas from 32 people and three companies — that we know of.

That group is composed of four former Trump advisers, 26 Russian nationals, three Russian companies, one California man, and one London-based lawyer. Six of these people (including now all four former Trump aides) have pleaded guilty.

If you also count investigations that Mueller originated but then referred elsewhere in the Justice Department, you can add plea deals from two more people to the list.

It’s a sprawling set of allegations, encompassing both election interference charges against overseas Russians, and various other crimes by American Trump advisers.

The link below highlights those charged/convicted in Mueller’s Russia probe so far.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/who-has-been-charged-in-russia-investigation-mueller-trump-2017-12?r=US&IR=T/#konstantin-kilimnik-2

………………….…………………………………………………………………………………………………...

No person should be above the law. If convicted of serious crime then they should suffer the consequences of their action.

An enormity of time and money has been spent investigating allegations that Trump or the Trump campaign colluded with Russia to influence the election. However, multiple investigations over months have yielded no evidence collusion occurred.

Having said that, other allegations made of “Russian collusion” NOT committed by Trump are somehow lost to Mueller.

Below, Victor Davis Hansen identifies a number of people who had a role in the 2016 election and who had distinct connections to Russia that, for some reason, Mueller can’t find the time to pursue.

………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

Former British spy Christopher Steele, the man who compiled the infamous “Russia dossier” at the heart of so much regarding this scam. He was hired by the campaign of Hillary Clinton “through a series of firewall intermediaries,” Hanson writes, and “probably paid Russian sources for gossip and smears” on Trump. Shouldn’t Clinton contractors be under investigation for seeking Russian sources for dirt on the eventual GOP nominee?

Collusion of some sort most likely took place when the Obama Justice Department and FBI went to the secretive FISA court and obtained surveillance warrants so they could spy on Trump campaign official Carter Page — who, of course, as a member of the campaign interacted with just about everyone else involved, including the candidate himself. On several occasions’ officials requesting the warrants made sure that the FISA court judges did not know that the dossier was paid for by Clinton, it was not verified by the FBI, and that the bureau severed its ties to Steele “on the basis of his unreliability,” Who planned it out that Comey would write and leak memos of meetings he allegedly had with Trump, allowing him to pass them to a friend who then leaked them to the press, to ensure he was once-removed from the process? Collusion must have taken place in order to leak a classified memo containing such information that House Intelligence Committee members with security clearances can’t see what the media and a personal friend have seen already.

Didn’t Comey himself collude? He misled Congress when he assured them, he had not made up his mind to exonerate Hillary Clinton before his agents had completed their investigation into her mishandling of classified information, then contradicted what both Loretta Lynch and Andrew McCabe have said about how he was not the source of media leaks nor had he approved any. And of course, he had to have colluded with someone when he opted to tell Trump about the dossier but declined to inform him that it was political opposition research or that the Clinton had paid for it.

Didn’t Lynch “collude” with Comey and others after she met with Clinton’s former presidential husband on an Arizona airport tarmac?

This all ties back to that Russian-supplied dossier.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The Podesta Group, co-founded by Podesta, lobbied Washington on behalf of Russia’s largest bank, Sberbank, as exposed by the Panama Papers, a leak of millions of documents on offshore entities. Tony Podesta, brother of John Podesta and chairman of The Podesta Group, is a registered lobbyist for Russia’s Sberbank and was a top campaign bundler and contributor for Clinton’s presidential campaign.

Further, Bill Clinton was paid $500,000 by Russian investment bank Renaissance Capital, owned by Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, for a speech in 2010. Hillary Clinton disclosed this payment. Around the same time, Renaissance Capital was involved in a deal to obtain Uranium One, a Canada-based uranium company with operations in the United States. The State Department, under Hillary Clinton, signed off on the transfer; at the same time, the Clinton Foundation received payments from the organization. The New York Times reported in April 2015 that “as the Russians gradually assumed control of Uranium One in three separate transactions from 2009 to 2013, Canadian records show, a flow of cash made its way to the Clinton Foundation.”

According to the report from the GAI, “Nine Uranium One shareholders donated more than $145 million to the Clinton Foundation,” and some of them, including one from Uranium One Chairman Ian Telfer, “had not been disclosed by the Clinton Foundation.” CAP

Edited by alfajambo

5 hours ago, alfajambo said:

The link below highlights those charged/convicted in Mueller’s Russia probe so far.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/who-has-been-charged-in-russia-investigation-mueller-trump-2017-12?r=US&IR=T/#konstantin-kilimnik-2

………………….…………………………………………………………………………………………………...

No person should be above the law. If convicted of serious crime then they should suffer the consequences of their action.

An enormity of time and money has been spent investigating allegations that Trump or the Trump campaign colluded with Russia to influence the election. However, multiple investigations over months have yielded no evidence collusion occurred.

Having said that, other allegations made of “Russian collusion” NOT committed by Trump are somehow lost to Mueller.

Below, Victor Davis Hansen identifies a number of people who had a role in the 2016 election and who had distinct connections to Russia that, for some reason, Mueller can’t find the time to pursue.

………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

Former British spy Christopher Steele, the man who compiled the infamous “Russia dossier” at the heart of so much regarding this scam. He was hired by the campaign of Hillary Clinton “through a series of firewall intermediaries,” Hanson writes, and “probably paid Russian sources for gossip and smears” on Trump. Shouldn’t Clinton contractors be under investigation for seeking Russian sources for dirt on the eventual GOP nominee?

Collusion of some sort most likely took place when the Obama Justice Department and FBI went to the secretive FISA court and obtained surveillance warrants so they could spy on Trump campaign official Carter Page — who, of course, as a member of the campaign interacted with just about everyone else involved, including the candidate himself. On several occasions’ officials requesting the warrants made sure that the FISA court judges did not know that the dossier was paid for by Clinton, it was not verified by the FBI, and that the bureau severed its ties to Steele “on the basis of his unreliability,” Who planned it out that Comey would write and leak memos of meetings he allegedly had with Trump, allowing him to pass them to a friend who then leaked them to the press, to ensure he was once-removed from the process? Collusion must have taken place in order to leak a classified memo containing such information that House Intelligence Committee members with security clearances can’t see what the media and a personal friend have seen already.

Didn’t Comey himself collude? He misled Congress when he assured them, he had not made up his mind to exonerate Hillary Clinton before his agents had completed their investigation into her mishandling of classified information, then contradicted what both Loretta Lynch and Andrew McCabe have said about how he was not the source of media leaks nor had he approved any. And of course, he had to have colluded with someone when he opted to tell Trump about the dossier but declined to inform him that it was political opposition research or that the Clinton had paid for it.

Didn’t Lynch “collude” with Comey and others after she met with Clinton’s former presidential husband on an Arizona airport tarmac?

This all ties back to that Russian-supplied dossier.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The Podesta Group, co-founded by Podesta, lobbied Washington on behalf of Russia’s largest bank, Sberbank, as exposed by the Panama Papers, a leak of millions of documents on offshore entities. Tony Podesta, brother of John Podesta and chairman of The Podesta Group, is a registered lobbyist for Russia’s Sberbank and was a top campaign bundler and contributor for Clinton’s presidential campaign.

Further, Bill Clinton was paid $500,000 by Russian investment bank Renaissance Capital, owned by Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, for a speech in 2010. Hillary Clinton disclosed this payment. Around the same time, Renaissance Capital was involved in a deal to obtain Uranium One, a Canada-based uranium company with operations in the United States. The State Department, under Hillary Clinton, signed off on the transfer; at the same time, the Clinton Foundation received payments from the organization. The New York Times reported in April 2015 that “as the Russians gradually assumed control of Uranium One in three separate transactions from 2009 to 2013, Canadian records show, a flow of cash made its way to the Clinton Foundation.”

According to the report from the GAI, “Nine Uranium One shareholders donated more than $145 million to the Clinton Foundation,” and some of them, including one from Uranium One Chairman Ian Telfer, “had not been disclosed by the Clinton Foundation.” CAP

Has Mueller advised you through divine channels what he has regarding the collusion investigation, you state pretty definitely that you believe he has nothing. My viewing which is basic news channels and their guests quite often senior officials from both political parties are very strident in their comments that they have never seen an investigation like Muellers where there have been absolutely no leaks. They constantly state that no one outside Mellers group have any idea what he has.  Trump has some inkling not a lot but enough to put him in panic mode.

Why with all the excellent people around has Trump selected Whittaker  ac ting AG, why was Trump so anxious to get the highly qualified but seemingly morally bankrupt Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court, anything to do with their very public condemnations of the system and Muellers investigation.

My goodness I am a sinning, lapsed religious person, who has lots in a way if one has to answer in the after life when entering , but I judge Trump as one of the worst human beings, and I have encountered some bad ones, that I have ever encountered, yet you a man and I do not criticise that of strong religious beliefs support and defend him without trepidation.  None so blind as he who will not see.

Not to turn this into a religious thread, but I have to promote these folks, from a church where I have some friends, responding to Trump's America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/26/singing-amazing-grace-church-surrounded-an-ice-van-stop-an-arrest-were-jailed/

Not all of us have completely lost our moral compass and hidden behind the church to justify evil.

Watching PBS  documentary at moment about Charlottesville. That’s when Trump wouldn’t differentiate anti fascists from Nazis when it kicked off. Total cretin.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, westbow said:

Watching PBS  documentary at moment about Charlottesville. That’s when Trump wouldn’t differentiate anti fascists from Nazis when it kicked off. Total cretin.

He could, it was "inconvenient" at the time because he did not want to offend any of his potential base, in otherwords, any racists/supremacists enamored by his "message".

I don't necessarily believe he's one of them, in fact, I doubt he "believes" in anything other than what suits his gargantuan ego. An unscrupulous a-hole who has never had to deal with anything resembling rejection. **A 70 year old, spoiled brat.

**Stating the blatantly obvious. (again)

Craig Gordons Gloves

Once again he rejects the comprehensive climate change report claiming to be highly intelligent. Definitely smarter than the average bear this guy, as well as being smarter than 300 plus scientists. 

Also, his gut is a better indicator of economics than the federal reserve. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-again-rejects-climate-change-report-lashes-out-at-federal-reserve/

maroonlegions
On 23/11/2018 at 21:55, Barack said:

BBC News - Climate change: Report warns of growing impact on US life
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46325168

Fake nooooos!

Do folk at the White House consider The Day After Tomorrow/San Andreas/The Core/2012, to be heretical fiction?

If God didn't do it...it didn't happen!

No automatic alt text available.

20 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

He could, it was "inconvenient" at the time because he did not want to offend any of his potential base, in otherwords, any racists/supremacists enamored by his "message".

I don't necessarily believe he's one of them, in fact, I doubt he "believes" in anything other than what suits his gargantuan ego. An unscrupulous a-hole who has never had to deal with anything resembling rejection. **A 70 year old, spoiled brat.

**Stating the blatantly obvious. (again)

Cannot help but suspect he was rooting for the Alt-right on that occasion. He hasn’t an ideological bone in his body, I agree. He believes in helping himself and playing to the big macho gallery.

13 minutes ago, westbow said:

Cannot help but suspect he was rooting for the Alt-right on that occasion. He hasn’t an ideological bone in his body, I agree. He believes in helping himself and playing to the big macho gallery.

Correct, in fact he was a member of the Democrat party from 2001-8

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Yes cause thats what he meant by the post right enough ffs.

I take it you did read what was below the picture of the Mars Landing? 

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:29, Ugly American said:

Not to turn this into a religious thread, but I have to promote these folks, from a church where I have some friends, responding to Trump's America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/26/singing-amazing-grace-church-surrounded-an-ice-van-stop-an-arrest-were-jailed/

Not all of us have completely lost our moral compass and hidden behind the church to justify evil.

Edited by alfajambo

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:00, bobsharp said:

Has Mueller advised you through divine channels what he has regarding the collusion investigation, you state pretty definitely that you believe he has nothing. My viewing which is basic news channels and their guests quite often senior officials from both political parties are very strident in their comments that they have never seen an investigation like Muellers where there have been absolutely no leaks. They constantly state that no one outside Mellers group have any idea what he has.  Trump has some inkling not a lot but enough to put him in panic mode.

Why with all the excellent people around has Trump selected Whittaker  ac ting AG, why was Trump so anxious to get the highly qualified but seemingly morally bankrupt Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court, anything to do with their very public condemnations of the system and Muellers investigation.

My goodness I am a sinning, lapsed religious person, who has lots in a way if one has to answer in the after life when entering , but I judge Trump as one of the worst human beings, and I have encountered some bad ones, that I have ever encountered, yet you a man and I do not criticise that of strong religious beliefs support and defend him without trepidation.  None so blind as he who will not see.

10 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I take it you did read what was below the picture of the Mars Landing? 

Please share with us, Hershey, your vast scientific knowledge in either field, as the basis for why you might have any objection to what was posted.

Cohen has just pled Guilty to lieing and is throwing Trump to the wolves. Talking about his Trumps business relations with Russia, potential visits to Russia, has passed E mails about all this stuff on, its like he just hoofedd a big ball right up the middle of the park to the unmarked Mueller who will score..

56 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Cohen has just pled Guilty to lieing and is throwing Trump to the wolves. Talking about his Trumps business relations with Russia, potential visits to Russia, has passed E mails about all this stuff on, its like he just hoofedd a big ball right up the middle of the park to the unmarked Mueller who will score..

This is interesting news after the Manaforte stories of changing his stories suspected to be a move to get a Pardon. Critics were saying it really was a major blow to Mueller.  Some said it seeemed strange that somebody as smart as Mueller would make such a bad error, others suggested they felt although didn't know what that Mueller had something else up his sleeve. This could be the thing. I know a sitting President cannot be indicted, but if Cohns stories are all true and confirmed could this if it is to do with Trumps business dealings be referred to the New York District Court and the Presidential protections be null and v oid. It is suggested that he has also given evidence about the meeting at Trump Tower.

On another front Stormy Daniels has now turned on Avenatti saying he went against her will suing Trump, and carrying her case forward, has she been got at again, and being paid off to turn down the heat on Trump. Christ you couldn't write a soap opera with so many twists and turns and this is to some extent real life, but not real like most of us have lived in.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

This has certainly brightened my day.

All this on a day that Deutche Bank, widely known as pre-candidate Trump's source for financing his adventures after no one else would lend to him, gets raided.

Seymour M Hersh
On 26/11/2018 at 21:52, maroonlegions said:
Image may contain: one or more people, meme, crowd, text and outdoor

ML you do realise that Tear Gas was used on the border on average once a month during the Obama administration don't you? This is not a new thing to happen. 

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

ML you do realise that Tear Gas was used on the border on average once a month during the Obama administration don't you? This is not a new thing to happen. 

I dunno about ML but I realise that.

We ought to be asking why in the world this is okay in the eyes of the law--domestically and internationally. Why if it were done by soldiers to enemy combatants it would be deemed a war crime, but done by soldiers to civilians it's hunky dory.

I'm glad there's a moral outrage now. But it's a sad indictment of America that it takes a morally bankrupt arsehole in the White House to get any of its citizens to pay attention to its atrocities.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I dunno about ML but I realise that.

We ought to be asking why in the world this is okay in the eyes of the law--domestically and internationally. Why if it were done by soldiers to enemy combatants it would be deemed a war crime, but done by soldiers to civilians it's hunky dory.

I'm glad there's a moral outrage now. But it's a sad indictment of America that it takes a morally bankrupt arsehole in the White House to get any of its citizens to pay attention to its atrocities.

Link to that please. Okay to fire bullets, throw grenades and have planes drop ordinance on enemy combatants but if you fire tear gas you're headed for The Hague?  

46 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Link to that please. Okay to fire bullets, throw grenades and have planes drop ordinance on enemy combatants but if you fire tear gas you're headed for The Hague?  

There's a century-long history of it in treaties dating back to post-WWI, which you're free to research yourself. Whether they've overextended what gets caught by international law that proscribes the use of any sort of gas agents, in that tear gas also gets caught up in that, is up for debate. But what's not up for debate is that it's not permitted in warfare but absolutely permitted against civilians.

But, speaking of munitions, things like hollow point bullets, which are prohibited by the one of the Hague conventions dating back to the 19th century ("bullets which expand or flatten easily") are also used by municipal police forces in many places against the civilian population.

6 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Classed as a chemical weapon since the early 90s. Crazy, but true.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Classed as a chemical weapon since the early 90s. Crazy, but true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_gas

"Use of tear gas in warfare (as with all other chemical weapons) is prohibited by various international treaties that most states have signed. Police and private self-defense use is not banned in the same manner. Armed forces can legally use tear gas for drills (practicing with gas masks) and for riot control."

Seymour M Hersh
17 hours ago, Justin Z said:

There's a century-long history of it in treaties dating back to post-WWI, which you're free to research yourself. Whether they've overextended what gets caught by international law that proscribes the use of any sort of gas agents, in that tear gas also gets caught up in that, is up for debate. But what's not up for debate is that it's not permitted in warfare but absolutely permitted against civilians.

But, speaking of munitions, things like hollow point bullets, which are prohibited by the one of the Hague conventions dating back to the 19th century ("bullets which expand or flatten easily") are also used by municipal police forces in many places against the civilian population.

I let you provide the proof as you were the one offering it up as a reason. That's only fair isn't it. So thanks for that as I was unaware of that. 

9 hours ago, redjambo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_gas

"Use of tear gas in warfare (as with all other chemical weapons) is prohibited by various international treaties that most states have signed. Police and private self-defense use is not banned in the same manner. Armed forces can legally use tear gas for drills (practicing with gas masks) and for riot control."

Cheers rid ? makes things so much easier.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
10 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I swear he's got Alzheimer's. 

Probably uses his brother as an excuse. He'll be blind drunk. 

If I were a bookie I'd have spent this week shortening the odds considerably on him not finishing the term.

The Mueller office is still totally inscrutable but the Flynn memo basically says "he's been a huge help" and then has 22 more lines of text redacted from public view.

Add to the fact that Stone and Corsi are clearly squirming on a hot seat. The Saudi nonsense seems to be finally too much for some Republican Senators who are publicly disagreeing with the President more than they have since he took office. And more -- Pence is increasingly posturing as hostile to Putin, while the rumors are that Trump keeps asking people if Pence is "loyal."

We're still a long way off and I don't have any crystal ball about what will happen but there's at least signs that the necessaries for impeachment and removal could be aligning.

I watched the Bush funeral this morning, Trump was there arms folded defensively as usual. He is the first president in forty five years not to speak at a former presidents funeral. The speakers were generally sincere about H W Bush 41, spoke of his sincerity and sense of humour. If one listened closely words suc h as friends, trust, loyalty, respect, service to country were all mentioned, and sometimes the full content gave one  the feeling that the content in which they were spoken were aimed at someone amongst the mourners. Trumps name was never mentioned, but Bill Clinton was named as a close friend of the former president, that must have rankled.

Between the Bush funeral and the many praiseful comments about the man, and the Cohen, Manafort, and other Trump cohorts situations with plea deals etc, I am as I have been for some time, and have previously stated it, Trump will not finishg his first term.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I watched the Bush funeral this morning, Trump was there arms folded defensively as usual. He is the first president in forty five years not to speak at a former presidents funeral. The speakers were generally sincere about H W Bush 41, spoke of his sincerity and sense of humour. If one listened closely words suc h as friends, trust, loyalty, respect, service to country were all mentioned, and sometimes the full content gave one  the feeling that the content in which they were spoken were aimed at someone amongst the mourners. Trumps name was never mentioned, but Bill Clinton was named as a close friend of the former president, that must have rankled.

Between the Bush funeral and the many praiseful comments about the man, and the Cohen, Manafort, and other Trump cohorts situations with plea deals etc, I am as I have been for some time, and have previously stated it, Trump will not finishg his first term.

He would be seething at actually being there.

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He would be seething at actually being there.

As is his wont when not the centre of attention. Maybe wishing he was the one in the casket. :whistling:

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

As is his wont when not the centre of attention. Maybe wishing he was the one in the casket. :whistling:

:laugh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/aramroston/jerry-falwell-jr-michael-cohen-pool-attendant-lawsuit

Folk online are speculating that Cohen was blackmailing Falwell for having a threesome with his wife and the poolboy.

Probably too much to hope for but gave me a laugh.

Edited by Ugly American

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)