• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• maroonlegions

• JFK-1

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There’s a panoramic pic of the night sky on Mars taken from the rover. It was on fb but can’t find it anywhere now. Incredible 

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Cade said:

pia24422-c1-3000.jpg

What a gorgeous pic.

Wait 'til we get there and make an erse of the place.

11 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

There’s a panoramic pic of the night sky on Mars taken from the rover. It was on fb but can’t find it anywhere now. Incredible 

The one you probably saw has been heavily edited to have a star-field.

This is not visible from the surface of Mars.

The guy that made that 360 VR picture has now been forced to add a disclaimer in the description of his picture, admitting to the edit.

The one I posted above is the original raw photo.

Edited by Cade

1 hour ago, Cade said:

The guy that made that 360 VR picture has now been forced to add a disclaimer in the description of his picture, admitting to the edit.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Ah that’s probably why it disappeared. Cheers 

0h8u73aki8j61.jpg

Sojourner, Curiosity, Spirit, Opportunity, Perseverance and Ingenuity all etched onto the hull of Perseverance itself, just in case anybody finds them and wonders if they all came from the same place.

Interesting discussion about the speculated planet 9 beyond Pluto. There is increasing evidence that there is indeed something out there and if it is indeed a planet it may be 10 times the mass of the Earth.

Among the discussion points are if it's there how did it get there? Was it formed alongside the rest of the solar system objects? Is it a failed gas giant?

Was it captured from another star? Perhaps even during the period of the suns birth in a stellar nursery then dragged along when the sun left that nursery.

Edited by JFK-1

Why Oumuamua May Have Been The First Sign of Intelligent Life with Dr. Avi Loeb

In this interview with Avi Loeb, the Frank B. Baird, Jr., Professor of Science and astrophysicist at Harvard University, he explains why in his new book, Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth, he has put forth the theory that our first interstellar visitor to be spotted in our solar system, Oumuamua, might just be the first sign of intelligent life beyond earth.

SpaceX attempting another test flight.

Due off in about half an hour or so.

Let's see if SN10 makes it up and back down again in one piece.

Went up vertically.

Came back down horizontally.

Flipped back to vertical and landed.

Not perfectly, looks like the landing legs didn't work right.

But it's down!

U8s6FNf.gif

chuck berrys hairline

Conspiracies have surfaced saying the rovers in Devon Island, Canada not mars. Does look eerily similar tbh

13 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Conspiracies have surfaced saying the rovers in Devon Island, Canada not mars. Does look eerily similar tbh

:rofl:

2 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

That's one of the testing grounds.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

That's one of the testing grounds.

Also this is “The Moon”, Arizona, in the 1960s

https://library.nau.edu/speccoll/exhibits/daysofarchives/images/nau.ph.426.473_large.jpg

Edited by Justin Z

• 3 weeks later...
AlphonseCapone
On 29/01/2021 at 09:06, JFK-1 said:

Indeed, the idea has been around since at least the mid 20th century. Recent evidence suggests the expansion of the universe is accelerating with the math ruling out a rebound. But in saying that I don't know if an idea proposed by physicist Lawrence Krauss may still suggest a series of universes.

He wrote a book called 'A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing', in which he describes how the universe may have begun from absolutely nothing. Literally nothing, not even space existed.

Now presume his hypothesis were correct. Would that mean even if the universe spreads out, ultimately fizzles out till there is absolutely nothing, not even particles left, that it could begin again, from absolutely nothing?

Lawrence Krauss Explains How You Get A Universe From Nothing

Had this saved for ages and only just got around to watching. Great talk. A lot blew my mind but the very end, the fact that at some point if humans (or something else) are still around, when they look to the sky they won't see any other galaxies, or be able to detect CBR, that just is incredible to imagine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2021 at 05:35, AlphonseCapone said:

Had this saved for ages and only just got around to watching. Great talk. A lot blew my mind but the very end, the fact that at some point if humans (or something else) are still around, when they look to the sky they won't see any other galaxies, or be able to detect CBR, that just is incredible to imagine. 

I find it somewhat sad that future intelligent species will be unable to figure out where the universe came from. Though in saying that we're talking mind bogglingly far future. Around a trillion years apparently. That's 73 times the current age of the universe.

As for these future intelligent species I expect they will find themselves stuck with the theory we had prior to building telescopes large enough to actually see the other galaxies.

That was steady state theory which postulated that the universe had always existed and by some method yet unknown was continually creating new matter. They thought the milky way galaxy was the entire universe.

Imagine the astonishment when they discovered that it was scarcely a dot in the actual entirety. They had to come up with a new term to describe the galaxies. And galaxy was that term. Prior to calling them galaxies they were calling them island universes.

Galaxies were initially discovered telescopically and were known as spiral nebulae. Most 18th to 19th century astronomers considered them as either unresolved star clusters or anagalactic nebulae, and were just thought as a part of the Milky Way, but their true composition and natures remained a mystery.

Observations using larger telescopes of a few nearby bright galaxies, like the Andromeda Galaxy, began resolving them into huge conglomerations of stars, but based simply on the apparent faintness and sheer population of stars, the true distances of these objects placed them well beyond the Milky Way.

For this reason they were popularly called island universes, but this term quickly fell into disuse, as the word universe implied the entirety of existence. Instead, they became known simply as galaxies

When I was growing up the estimate was 50 billion galaxies. The most recent estimate is 2 trillion galaxies. And I expect that estimate to keep on increasing since it always has as better observation technology comes along.. 

maroonlegions

NASA's Mars Perseverance Rover: I will watch over you, baby!

Sol 0046 (April 7, 2021)

🎬 360VR video 8K: https://youtu.be/3HNZUEHsNcs with real sounds from the surface
🔎 360VR photo 20K: http://bit.ly/perseverance-sol0046

NASA's Mars Exploration Program
Source images credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
Stitching and retouching: Andrew Bodrov / 360pano.eu

#Mars360 #Video360 #360VR #Mars #Sol0046 #Perseverance 

May be an image of outdoors and text

163558444_294383418725173_5075493441885397349_n.jpg

160617078_289530075877174_7334925667898539965_n.jpg

Mars helicopter drone was due to have it's first flight in the last day or two.

Waiting for the data to come back.

A feckin drone flying about on another planet.

:wow::yas:

The return to the moon is pointless if it's just more visits to pick up rocks like the Apollo missions. In my view it has to be preparation for a moon base or what's the point? I don't know what the long term plan is regarding the new moon venture.

SpaceX wins the contract for the landers that will take NASA astronauts back to the moon.

It'll cost just 13% of what Apollo did.

SpaceX are also planning point-to-point rockets in a networks all over the world, allowing travel to pretty much anywhere on Earth in less than three hours.

Edited by Cade

Bindy Badgy
On 15/04/2021 at 10:41, JFK-1 said:

The return to the moon is pointless if it's just more visits to pick up rocks like the Apollo missions. In my view it has to be preparation for a moon base or what's the point? I don't know what the long term plan is regarding the new moon venture.

Potential source of helium-3, which has been proposed as fuel for nuclear fusion, is another reason to head back to the moon. Long way off from that being a priority though.

On 17/04/2021 at 07:48, Bindy Badgy said:

Potential source of helium-3, which has been proposed as fuel for nuclear fusion, is another reason to head back to the moon. Long way off from that being a priority though.

I have wondered about building telescopes on the moon. No air turbulence, no weather interference so perpetually clear skies.

Ground based telescopes on Earth except in exceptional circumstances have been likened to trying to look at something from below water. The surface of the water is constantly shimmering so to speak so things are blurred. The atmosphere on Earth produces the same effect.  

And I recall reading somewhere that a radio telescope on the far side would be ideal since it would shield the telescope from all radio interference from the Earth. Apparently the far side of the moon is the only truly radio silent spot in the entire inner solar system.

19 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Apparently the far side of the moon is the only truly radio silent spot in the entire inner solar system.

The moon is tidally locked so that seems legitimate unless we have satalites on the other side of the moon. 

A lot of Sci-Fi have telescopes on Phobos and Deimos as they were a great place to put them. 

12 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

The moon is tidally locked so that seems legitimate unless we have satalites on the other side of the moon. 

A lot of Sci-Fi have telescopes on Phobos and Deimos as they were a great place to put them. 

There's a space telescope scheduled for launch in October this year which may return stunning images. This thing has to work flawlessly since there will be no way to send manned repair missions as happened with Hubble when it was discovered there was a lens flaw.

The James Webb telescope will be sited at a Lagrange point in the shadow of the Earth close on a million miles away.

719px-L2_rendering.jpg

The telescope itself is far more powerful than Hubble plus will be in a far more favourable position with little to no light pollution from the Sun. And we all know how impressive the historic images Hubble returned are.

On 12/04/2021 at 16:37, Cade said:

Mars helicopter drone was due to have it's first flight in the last day or two.

Waiting for the data to come back.

A feckin drone flying about on another planet.

:wow::yas:

It has been successfully flown, NASA has just announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56799755

Edited by redjambo

Hagar the Horrible

The video images of a few frames of it hovering about 3m above the surface is incredible

Well done

I've some tartan paint, glass hammers and left handed screwdrivers for sale. This is the perfect thread. 

Roll up, Roll up. 

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've some tartan paint, glass hammers and left handed screwdrivers for sale. This is the perfect thread. 

Roll up, Roll up. 

🤔🤨😐What? 

maroonlegions
On 19/04/2021 at 15:32, ri Alban said:

Roll up, Roll up. 

:bwcornette:   :getout:

Tones of highly credible scientific stuff posted on hear but you still act the joker?? 

Its a wonder you have not been emptied from this thread , pure and utter trolling.  

Schools are back, get the homework done instead  of trolling.

In one ear and out the other. Nap..LOL.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

-Isaac Asimov

:greggy:

4 hours ago, Cade said:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

-Isaac Asimov

This, then, is the new illiteracy, the illiteracy of those who can read but don't. This new illiteracy is more pernicious than the old, because unlike the old illiteracy it does not debar its victims from power and influence, although like the old illiteracy it disqualifies them for it.

Those long-dead men and women who learned to read so that they might read the Bible and John Bunyan would tell us that pride is the greatest of all sins, the father of sin.

And the victims of the new illiteracy are proud of it. If you don't believe me, talk to them and see with what pride they trumpet their utter ignorance of any book you care to name.

Gene Wolfe

Governor Tarkin

What a pair of jumped-up, conceited, phannies. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Governor Tarkin

"Fancy popping in to mine for a bottle of wine? Let me hold your wrist so I can feel your spirit connection. " 

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Back in the real world, SpaceX's second Crew Dragon flight taking astronauts to the International Space Station is very close, they're just waiting for a weather window to launch.

The Crew Dragon already docked with the ISS has relocated to a different docking port to make room for the incoming ship.

Soyuz MS-17 has returned 3 ISS crew safely to Earth.

At Mars, China's Tianwen-1 lander prepares for a landing attempt in May. The mothership has been in orbit since February this year.
It's busy up there, as the UAE's Hope orbiter arrived the day before the Chinese did and NASA's Perseverance arrived 8 days after.

Crew Dragon is lifting off in the next hour or so, taking 4 astronauts up to the ISS.

The ship is capable of holding 7 crew now, after upgrades.

Soyuz can only carry 3 as the basic design hasn't changed since the 1960's.

The Space Shuttle could carry up to 7, but that was huge.

For something as small as Crew Dragon to fit 7 humans inside really shows how far technology has come.