Smith, McGhee and manifesto promises

The People's Chimp

The People's Chimp

So, it looks like it's 'gorgeous' George Burley for the Scotland job. Good news, well done George and all that. If he can get Scotland to play football even remotely like the football we played for 11 scintillating games, then we'll be a happy nation indeed. Is this the reasons Gordon Smith chose Burley, his past record? Or is there more to it that that?

Given Smith's high profile campaign against simulation and cheating, it can come as no surprise that he failed to pick McGhee, a man whose Motherwell team are experts in the art of time wasting, fouling, diving and trying to get other players sent off (for nothing).

Clearly Smith has taken a principled stand and now that the distraction of finding a manager is over, he will get down to the task in hand and start to deal with the retrospective punishments and use of video evidence he promised, and hand out the relevant suspensions to Messrs Quinn, Clarkson, Grainger et al.

One piece I saw suggested that Burley had intimated to the SFA in interview that this would be his last managing job so the SFA were assured he wouldn't jump ship if a club side came sniffing a la Smith & McLeish.

I've also just realised your OP is more about diving Motherwell players and GFA incompetence...oops by me. :confused:

Archived