Arsehole Neighbours

Solid Snake

29 minutes ago, Locky said:

Going to bump this as I'm :seething: at the moment.

Moved into a house at the start of September that me and my girlfriend are renting. Fairly new builds, been standing about 3-4 years I think. Now, there's us 2, her 2 young children (3 and 1), my 9 year old daughter comes to stay sometimes, and we have a baby on the way. Yes, it's a bit hectic, but I'm sure many of you have been down that road.

Few weeks ago, my wee girl accidentally kicked a wee ball over into the next door neighbours garden one early evening, so I chapped the door to politely request we get it back. Boy in the house then sheepishly 'pulled me up' about the noise coming from the house. Not noise as in screaming, shouting or loud music or the likes. Merely the banging of footsteps through the non-carpeted floors and the banging of doors, including the front and back doors. The guy felt the need to tell me his good lady is pregnant and we need to keep it down, to which I promptly pointed out, so is mine. Best part is, he pointed out that this wasn't just us, but the previous tenants caused the same problems too. In a new build property? Yeah, that's really our fault I guess.

Anyway, as a new resident to the street, I kept polite and assured him we would try to keep the noise down etc. My girlfriend has just this morning, received an email from the letting agent, saying they've been contacted by a neighbour complaining of 'extreme' noise levels. Now, it could only be them, or our neighbours on the other side. I doubt the latter, as like us they are a young family with 2 small children, and we hear plenty noise from them.

Genuinely ****ing fuming. I concede that with 2 young children in the house, it's not exactly peaceful at times. But what do they want us to do? Strap the kids into a chair 24/7 so they can't move around? They're ****ing children mate. ****s going to get a fright when his expected baby turns into a riotous toddler who loves banging doors and playing with everything it shouldn't be.

I'm going to go through to their door later and confront them. Respectfully of course. I'm a reasonable man, I'd have respect for them if they came and confronted me about noise face to face, but emailing my landlord is scummy. What's the end game? To get us evicted from our home with young children? Also, the letting agents emailed us a couple of weeks ago to complain about my girlfriends parking, of which there's **** all wrong with. I don't know for sure, but can only assume it was them too. Clearly a couple of busy bodies who are never happier than when they're complaining. ****s.

Rant over. For now.

Having previously lived below neighbours who stamp around on hard flooring and slam doors, I can confirm it is a nightmare. Irritating beyond belief. It can slowly drive you mental.

The landlord should really put adequate sound insulation under the flooring. Something you should suggest to the letting agency since they're getting complaints that you can't do much about yourself.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Салатные палочки

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• ri Alban

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Having previously lived below neighbours who stamp around on hard flooring and slam doors, I can confirm it is a nightmare. Irritating beyond belief. It can slowly drive you mental.

The landlord should really put adequate sound insulation under the flooring. Something you should suggest to the letting agency since they're getting complaints that you can't do much about yourself.

Had the very same issue when we had our flat, the one above us was owned by Canmore and we got new neighbours on a regular basis, majority were fine but the were 4 or 5 over the years who didn't give a flying **** and behaved like dicks...even had to raise a complaint with Canmore about one of them after the cheeky get got the cops to my door, luckily we had been keeping a diary of thier behaviour. The cops promptly went up to their door for a word :lol: They moved out overnight a few days later.

Will never have anyone above me ever again.

JudyJudyJudy
45 minutes ago, Locky said:

Moved into a house at the start of September that me and my girlfriend are renting. Fairly new builds, been standing about 3-4 years I think. Now, there's us 2, her 2 young children (3 and 1), my 9 year old daughter comes to stay sometimes, and we have a baby on the way. Yes, it's a bit hectic, but I'm sure many of you have been down that road.

Few weeks ago, my wee girl accidentally kicked a wee ball over into the next door neighbours garden one early evening, so I chapped the door to politely request we get it back. Boy in the house then sheepishly 'pulled me up' about the noise coming from the house. Not noise as in screaming, shouting or loud music or the likes. Merely the banging of footsteps through the non-carpeted floors and the banging of doors, including the front and back doors. The guy felt the need to tell me his good lady is pregnant and we need to keep it down, to which I promptly pointed out, so is mine. Best part is, he pointed out that this wasn't just us, but the previous tenants caused the same problems too. In a new build property? Yeah, that's really our fault I guess.

Anyway, as a new resident to the street, I kept polite and assured him we would try to keep the noise down etc. My girlfriend has just this morning, received an email from the letting agent, saying they've been contacted by a neighbour complaining of 'extreme' noise levels. Now, it could only be them, or our neighbours on the other side. I doubt the latter, as like us they are a young family with 2 small children, and we hear plenty noise from them.

Genuinely ****ing fuming. I concede that with 2 young children in the house, it's not exactly peaceful at times. But what do they want us to do? Strap the kids into a chair 24/7 so they can't move around? They're ****ing children mate. ****s going to get a fright when his expected baby turns into a riotous toddler who loves banging doors and playing with everything it shouldn't be.

I'm going to go through to their door later and confront them. Respectfully of course. I'm a reasonable man, I'd have respect for them if they came and confronted me about noise face to face, but emailing my landlord is scummy. What's the end game? To get us evicted from our home with young children? Also, the letting agents emailed us a couple of weeks ago to complain about my girlfriends parking, of which there's **** all wrong with. I don't know for sure, but can only assume it was them too. Clearly a couple of busy bodies who are never happier than when they're complaining. ****s.

Rant over. For now.

I have tried to send a PM but says you are not receiving them. Maybe your inbox is full ? 

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes this is a good compromise However it appears that Lockys neighbours are next door to him and not below him. 

48 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I can imagine its not ideal, but as @JudyJudyJudy pointed out, we're next door, not above. Even still, I do get it's not ideal and we do try to minimise noise as much as we can, I do have respect for my neighbours. But try telling a 1 year old and a 3 year old to not slam a door or run through the house so much. I hear noise from my other neighbours too, who like I said have 2 young kids of similar ages. While we hear it, to say it's 'extreme' noise would be a massive over reaction. And to cap it all off, any noise that is made is during the day time. The kids are in their beds by 8pm every night until 8am. 

I fully take on board any complaints, but it seems to me like they're just being complete arseholes for the sake of it.

38 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I have tried to send a PM but says you are not receiving them. Maybe your inbox is full ? 

I'll try clear some room and try drop you a PM myself mate.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

on. And to cap it all off, any noise that is made is during the day time. The kids are in their beds by 8pm every night until 8am. 

Thats an important point actually.  

1 hour ago, Locky said:

I can imagine its not ideal, but as @JudyJudyJudy pointed out, we're next door, not above. Even still, I do get it's not ideal and we do try to minimise noise as much as we can, I do have respect for my neighbours. But try telling a 1 year old and a 3 year old to not slam a door or run through the house so much. I hear noise from my other neighbours too, who like I said have 2 young kids of similar ages. While we hear it, to say it's 'extreme' noise would be a massive over reaction. And to cap it all off, any noise that is made is during the day time. The kids are in their beds by 8pm every night until 8am. 

I fully take on board any complaints, but it seems to me like they're just being complete arseholes for the sake of it.

Without actually living in their home and experiencing the noise for yourself, you don't know how much of an over reaction it may be. It might be a nightmare.

It could be the case that your landlord has put in poorly fitted flooring with no insulation and with the boards right up against the walls with no expansion gap. In which case they are the arsehole, not your neighbours.

You've said that they actually sheepishly brought up the noise with you before contacting the letting agent. They may be at the end of their tether knowing that simply asking the tenants to try and be quiet doesn't work. If you haven't actually seen their complaint letter, it may well be the case that they've asked your landlord to address the noise issue rather than asking them to have a go at you, or turf you out. Rather than doing anything that might cost them money, the landlord has chosen to just pass the complaint on to you.

Something to bare in mind before chapping their door and going radge. It could be that they are being fussy arseholes, but they just as easily could be really suffering.

Edited by Ray Gin

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, Locky said:

Rant over. For now.

You can get dampers for the doors to prevent them slamming……..I’ve fitted these (guest house) as some people are way more noisy than others, I’ve also fitted the soft close mechanism but they’re coming in at about £35 each.  The dampers work well…. not expensive either and the tension can be adjusted, got them from “tool station”:

69C1FEDC-86D1-4308-8884-48DE2C308059.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

Just for perspective…..they’re like the ones on the kitchen cabinets but bigger, quite difficult to press down as well:

43561CAC-B2D5-4CD7-97B6-C32C68784B76.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Without actually living in their home and experiencing the noise for yourself, you don't know how much of an over reaction it may be. It might be a nightmare.

It could be the case that your landlord has put in poorly fitted flooring with no insulation and with the boards right up against the walls with no expansion gap. In which case they are the arsehole, not your neighbours.

You've said that they actually sheepishly brought up the noise with you before contacting the letting agent. They may be at the end of their tether knowing that simply asking the tenants to try and be quiet doesn't work. If you haven't actually seen their complaint letter, it may well be the case that they've asked your landlord to address the noise issue rather than asking them to have a go at you, or turf you out. Rather than doing anything that might cost them money, the landlord has chosen to just pass the complaint on to you.

Something to bare in mind before chapping their door and going radge. It could be that they are being fussy arseholes, but they just as easily could be really suffering.

That's all fair enough. I don't intend on going radge. I just want to chat to them and address the situation rather than sending shitty emails when we're living yards apart. I'd like to think that as adults, we can reasonably discuss this and try come to some form of regular communication. The previous tenant was actually the landlords son who was living up here while studying. It's only since we've moved in that it's been let out.

It's really upto the neighbours what they make of the situation in my eyes. I've calmed down and I'm ready to talk in a civilized manner. If they decide they'd rather keep ignoring us in the street when they see us, and want to send my landlord shitty emails behind our back then that's up to them.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Get a noise level recorder to back yourself up.

And work the flaming toalie routine on his doorstep.

:lol:  I'm a big fan of the 2nd suggestion.

Also cheers @highlandjambo3

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

That's all fair enough. I don't intend on going radge. I just want to chat to them and address the situation rather than sending shitty emails when we're living yards apart. I'd like to think that as adults, we can reasonably discuss this and try come to some form of regular communication. The previous tenant was actually the landlords son who was living up here while studying. It's only since we've moved in that it's been let out.

It's really upto the neighbours what they make of the situation in my eyes. I've calmed down and I'm ready to talk in a civilized manner. If they decide they'd rather keep ignoring us in the street when they see us, and want to send my landlord shitty emails behind our back then that's up to them.

Is there a remote possibility either of them could be on the autistic spectrum? Hypersensitivity to noise could be a sensory overload for them. Added to that social communication difficulties and a desire to avoid potential confrontation could be why they went down the landlord route without thinking of how you'd take it?

Just a mild , Monday pm ponder...I presume your bairns aren't running around in hobnail boots on laminate flooring!

Locky, tell them to **** off. Cheeky b*stards.

if the noise was mental after 10pm then they'd be well within their right to complain but it sounds like it's normal, every day noise so they are just being arseholes.

I'd tell them to get f***** and to stop being weird c****.

They'll soon realise they've no basis to complain.

If a noisy neighbour rocked up at my door telling me to get ****ed and calling me a ****, I'd take it as a declaration of war and make every effort to make their lives as miserable as possible in return. 

Probably not the best approach.

Edited by Ray Gin

JudyJudyJudy
42 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You can get dampers for the doors to prevent them slamming……..I’ve fitted these (guest house) as some people are way more noisy than others, I’ve also fitted the soft close mechanism but they’re coming in at about £35 each.  The dampers work well…. not expensive either and the tension can be adjusted, got them from “tool station”:

Good suggestion 

19 minutes ago, Boof said:

Is there a remote possibility either of them could be on the autistic spectrum? Hypersensitivity to noise could be a sensory overload for them. Added to that social communication difficulties and a desire to avoid potential confrontation could be why they went down the landlord route without thinking of how you'd take it?

Just a mild , Monday pm ponder...I presume your bairns aren't running around in hobnail boots on laminate flooring!

They may well be but they will know all about noise when they’re bairn arrived . Might make them realise a certain level of noise is acceptable 

16 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

if the noise was mental after 10pm then they'd be well within their right to complain but it sounds like it's normal, every day noise so they are just being arseholes.

Correct . Most noise between the hours of 7 am to around 10 pm would not be investigated and certainly not “ domestic noise” Which kids make 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If a noisy neighbour rocked up at my door telling me to get ****ed and calling me a ****, I'd take it as a declaration of war and make every effort to make their lives as miserable as possible in return. 

Agreed , going in All guns blazing would only aggravate the situation . 

29 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Aye you're right but would certainly be a laugh.

Jeffros Furios
49 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Or he could break the door down and torture the ***** ..

A hammer and a blowtorch should due the trick .

Our next door neighbour has a wee dog that has discovered there's a gap in the fence that she can weasel through and comes to play in our garden, looking for my dog. She comes to the door all apologetic every so often to get her back, but it's seriously not a problem, her wee dog is lovely and just has a jailbreak to try and come and play.  I feel bad for how worried she gets, but I genuinely don't care at all :lol:   The wee dog weighs about 8kg and is easy enough to scoop up once she's had a run around.

Thankfully my great big lump of a dog is too big to get through to her side, because he's absolutely wrecked my garden, I'd be mortified if he started digging in hers and eating the plants over there!

After years, and years, and years of arsehole neighbours in shitty soundproofed flats, I'm thankful my house is now a well build, well insulated, well soundproofed one.  I regularly ask next door if she can hear my dog when he's barking, and she asks the same, and apparently we can't hear each other at all.  Bliss.

Hard flooring in flats should be ****ing banned, because it causes so much stress and noise.  I was on the verge of setting my old one on fire just to take the absolute wankers upstairs out as well at one point because of them thundering around at all times of the night :lol: 

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Rant over. For now.

Continually play dubstep at a medium to loud noise level so your neighbours cant hear the excruciating noise of children playing over it.

Problem......solved.

Spitonastranger
4 hours ago, Locky said:

Rant over. For now.

My guess is they probvably did the same to the last tenants, i would contact the landlord and request they visit with the point being about carpeting etc 

Spitonastranger
3 hours ago, Locky said:

Any Council/Authority would deem taht reasonable noise between the times yuo are talking and take no action, people have to expect usual noise 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Spitonastranger said:

Any Council/Authority would deem taht reasonable noise between the times yuo are talking and take no action, people have to expect usual noise 

Yes they would. 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Yes they would what

Take no action if there is noise between 8 am to around 10pm 

been here before
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Might get them for my house. The Mrs loves a slammed door at the end of an arguement, theres few things more frustrating than making your point, storming off pulling the door hard behind you and it not slamming.

Those would **** her off no end :lol:

2 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

You’re absolutely correct here.  👍

Reasonable ‘Anti-social’ house noise, here in France, is deemed to be acceptable between 8.00am and 9.30pm.

I’m pretty sure it’ll be about the same in Edinburgh.

Spitonastranger
10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You’re absolutely correct here.  👍

Reasonable ‘Anti-social’ house noise, here in France, is deemed to be acceptable between 8.00am and 9.30pm.

I’m pretty sure it’ll be about the same in Edinburgh.

Yeah and the Councils I work across 👍

One person's usual noise is another's racket I suppose.

I've a noisy neighbour downstairs and I've no idea why people really need to be making constant noise 😂

I get the days of DIY etc, or a movie or music but the sort of constant banging and clanging feels so unnecessary 

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Might get them for my house. The Mrs loves a slammed door at the end of an arguement, theres few things more frustrating than making your point, storming off pulling the door hard behind you and it not slamming.

I think you've just done a great job of selling this product for the manufacturer as I'm sure I'm not the only other guy who thinks that's a good idea.

il Duce McTarkin
4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

99A2BD95-5363-4B81-AC66-0997EC1F6137.jpeg

Seriemorder-ekteparet: Fred og Rosemary West rystende ...

9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Judging from your posting on here, I simply cannot imagine that you would live in a house that has arguments.

:lol:

15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Judging from your posting on here, I simply cannot imagine that you would live in a house that has arguments.

Good planning to edit ‘love’ for ‘live’.  👏

BHB wouldn’t have liked ‘love’.  😀

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

I would phone the polis and say DRUG lord living next door.

:greggy:

I've got 2 living doors from me, don't fancy the petrol through the letter box trick if they ever found out I'd grassed them.

been here before
5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Strange but true. She makes her point, I hear the noise of the teacher in Charlie Brown.

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, been here before said:

If you stick on 2 or 3 of these on full tension, the door might actually spring back and smack her in the coupon 😂😂😂

Edited by highlandjambo3

12 hours ago, Taffin said:

One person's usual noise is another's racket I suppose.

I've a noisy neighbour downstairs and I've no idea why people really need to be making constant noise 😂

I get the days of DIY etc, or a movie or music but the sort of constant banging and clanging feels so unnecessary 

Sometimes people can be doing very little and it sounds like a riot. Poor sound proofing is a cause for a false reality of noise. 

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sometimes people can be doing very little and it sounds like a riot. Poor sound proofing is a cause for a false reality of noise. 

Yeh absolutely. Sometimes people are just oddly loud as well though, the folks before them I never heard a peep from apart from the odd Saturday night when they cranked the surround sound on a film. The current ones it's shouting (not aggressive, more hyper happy if anything, like lassies on a night out) and doors banging. 

17 hours ago, Boof said:

Yeah that's worth considering too Boof. Downside if that's the case though is I fear never being able to form a communicative bond, and we're stuck in this vicious cycle of going behind one another's backs, sending emails to a middle man.

All I'm looking for is a bit of communication, and to strike up a civil bond. Nobody wants to be at loggerheads with their neighbour I don't think.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Yeh absolutely. Sometimes people are just oddly loud as well though, the folks before them I never heard a peep from apart from the odd Saturday night when they cranked the surround sound on a film. The current ones it's shouting (not aggressive, more hyper happy if anything, like lassies on a night out) and doors banging. 

My neighbours living room is next to mr bedroom .  I can hear them talking so I assume they can hear my “ noises “ ! Might explain the smirk I got one day from the guy after I had a rather passionate night one time !😎

Jambo_jim2001
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

My neighbours living room is next to mr bedroom .  I can hear them talking so I assume they can hear my “ noises “ ! Might explain the smirk I got one day from the guy after I had a rather passionate night one time !😎

download.jpeg.1d058fef744a9d18f174a4812d34f1f2.jpeg???😲😲

Jambo_jim2001
6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

🙂

FAFE81CC-EBC7-4244-B3F6-F6BC82F86346.gif

images.jpegglad you have a good sense of humour👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by Jambo_jim2001

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

images.jpegglad you have a good sense of humour👍🏻👍🏻

Oh i dont mind a bit of mucky humour. In fact any humour. I leave people in stitches at times ...and they dont end up in bandages. 😮  

Harry Potter

Dont miss living in a flat, never understood the constant banging of front doors,

no need for it, and the communial rubbish chute, always blocked with pizza boxes. 

again no need, folk above me, lovely couple but heard every movement across the floor.

highlandjambo3
39 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Dont miss living in a flat, never understood the constant banging of front doors,

no need for it, and the communial rubbish chute, always blocked with pizza boxes. 

again no need, folk above me, lovely couple but heard every movement across the floor.

We have one of our guest rooms located above our own bedroom, we had carpets fitted about 2 years ago and specifically asked for the best/thickest underlay for soundproofing, I had to take about an inch off the bottom of the bedroom doors as the new carpet & underlay was thick. I though “job done” but no, every now and again there is a stomper in the room, I’ve actually went up to the room and  had a go at making the equivalent noise and you actually have to deliberately raise your feet upwards in an unnatural way to make a stamping noise…………I really don’t get it with some people.

2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

We have one of our guest rooms located above our own bedroom, we had carpets fitted about 2 years ago and specifically asked for the best/thickest underlay for soundproofing, I had to take about an inch off the bottom of the bedroom doors as the new carpet & underlay was thick. I though “job done” but no, every now and again there is a stomper in the room, I’ve actually went up to the room and  had a go at making the equivalent noise and you actually have to deliberately raise your feet upwards in an unnatural way to make a stamping noise…………I really don’t get it with some people.

Some people just have no consideration for others really. You'll always hear your neighbours from time to time and that's normal and they'll always hear you. Those who make a racket day in, day out though are something else.