'Cathro Kids'

OTT

Hey,

So I've heard that stat about cathro's youth programme being extremely successful, I was interested to know what players who have came through his programme have went onto become pro's?

I know of:

Ryan Gauld

John Souttar

Craig Wighton

I'm assuming Harry Souttar also went through it.

Anyway, anyone know who else?

LarrysRightFoot

Think Stuart Armstrong joined United around 2009. Don't know if Cathro would have been involved in coaching him?

Big differences between bringing through kids and managing a team I hope it works out but not convinced by this appointment if it goes ahead

Saying that prepared to give them a chance hopefully works out well

United have always had a good history of bringing through top youngsters to be fair.

Was Johnny Russell one of cathro's?

Been impressed with Blair Spittal in the current United team. Dunno if he was one

jamboinglasgow

Robertson?

Came through Queens Park, as did Spittal.

I would say United are a bit funny with their player development at the moment. They have sold a few players to epl clubs in the summer who are 16 or 17 so they would have come through the Cathro program at Dundee United.

liked that Johnny Russel, is He still at derby, be great swap deal for CP.

Aye sure he'll head back up from his 25k a week to a couple of grand up here

Mr Brightside

Came through Queens Park, as did Spittal.

I would say United are a bit funny with their player development at the moment. They have sold a few players to epl clubs in the summer who are 16 or 17 so they would have come through the Cathro program at Dundee United.

Do you know any names? I am always interested in the progress of young Scottish players in England.

The_razors_edge

The first batch of 'Cathro's kids' that we'll hear about will be kids born between 1999/2000. If they've continued to use and develop the curriculum he implemented then pretty much any kid churned out of Utd's academy from here could be classed as a Cathro kid although some of them won't have been directly coached by him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamboinglasgow

Do you know any names? I am always interested in the progress of young Scottish players in England.

Harry Souttar went to Stoke and kieran freeman went to Southampton.

Only reason Cathro has been mentioned is due to his connection with Levein of course, I think we need to go with someone with managerial experience but someone who hasn't had a connection with the club previously.

I don't think it would be good for the club by taking risks, proven manager experience necessary.

If Cathro were to get the job and be successful then I'll eat my words and wish him all the best.

Mr Brightside

Harry Souttar went to Stoke and kieran freeman went to Southampton.

Cheers, knew about Souttar but not Freeman. Hopefully they both make it in time.

Only reason Cathro has been mentioned is due to his connection with Levein of course, I think we need to go with someone with managerial experience but someone who hasn't had a connection with the club previously.

I don't think it would be good for the club by taking risks, proven manager experience necessary.

If Cathro were to get the job and be successful then I'll eat my words and wish him all the best.

Much more experience in ciaching than RN had when he was appointed.

kingantti1874

Big differences between bringing through kids and managing a team I hope it works out but not convinced by this appointment if it goes ahead

He was assistant manager at rio ave, valencia and Newcastle for a time.. this "bringing through kids" chat is a bit miseleading..

He has much much more experience than robbie did

and at CP wages I suppose......

Sadly very injury prone and struggling to get game time!

If we don't take risks, we will never be better than 2nd. We cannot afford a manager with experience and the kind of skills we'll need to challenge at the top. The right man, and I'm no saying it's definitely Cathro, could revolutionise the way we compete. It's like developing a Walker/Paterson because you can't afford to buy them.

This is a gamble alright, but it's one well worth taking.

Francis Albert

It's a welcome appointment - risky but preferable to just plugging in an old style manager. with experience ... when the ones we could afford would not have huge track records of success.

Even the best can fail and Cathro certainly might. I have to say the list of "Cathro's Kids" on this thread doesn't impress any more than the Hearts Academy has achieved in the past.

It's a welcome appointment - risky but preferable to just plugging in an old style manager. with experience ... when the ones we could afford would not have huge track records of success.

Even the best can fail and Cathro certainly might. I have to say the list of "Cathro's Kids" on this thread doesn't impress any more than the Hearts Academy has achieved in the past.

Yeah, I had hoped to have a few more names by the now :(

Francis Albert

Yeah, I had hoped to have a few more names by the now :(

Ryan Gauld is probably the highest profile "Cathro Kid". Sporting Lisbon paid a reported ?3m for him. He has made two first team appearances in two years.

Big Slim Stylee

Ryan Gauld is probably the highest profile "Cathro Kid". Sporting Lisbon paid a reported ?3m for him. He has made two first team appearances in two years.

I still hope he does well.  They've converted him to a deeper-lying midfielder and he was quoted as saying he's still learning.  He's on loan at the moment.

Sepp's Bladder

To be fair, he has done far more than just "bringing through kids"

Sepp's Bladder

I still hope he does well. They've converted him to a deeper-lying midfielder and he was quoted as saying he's still learning. He's on loan at the moment.

Someone better tell Setubal, he started their cup match last Tues up top!

Archived