Ian Cathro confirmed as Head Coach ( merged threads )

The Comedian

Own thread.

He's the most likely candidate IMO. Given a chance by Levein at United and was close to coming a few times in various roles I believe.

Learned at a few clubs and currently working under Benitez. Hibs managed to lure Calderwood from there and he was assistant.

This is the perfect opportunity to be his own man.

Great appointment in my opinion, seems a good fit to me.

Own thread.

He's the most likely candidate IMO. Given a chance by Levein at United and was close to coming a few times in various roles I believe.

Learned at a few clubs and currently working under Benitez. Hibs managed to lure Calderwood from there and he was assistant.

This is the perfect opportunity to be his own man.

Great appointment in my opinion, seems a good fit to me.

What role did he have at Utd?

Best out a bad bunch I guess, but....."....... I think we are in for a surprise .

Not ITK I may add.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I'd love to know more about his personality. I would rather someone a little less laid back than Robbie.

You can be the most knowledgeable person in football but that means nothing if you haven't got the right personal qualities.

Don't think we could say he'd be a great appointment until he proves himself and he's never had a managers job yet. Good coaches don't always make good managers. Neilsons done pretty well with us in his first job though so may be worth the risk. Time will tell

I'd like to see us bring him in.

Certainly has a wide pedigree of experience. Might just be the ideal role for his first gig with Levein there to support as DOF.

Would certainly be a step up from Nelson.

Always felt he had to try and do the job with one hand though tbf.

Levein isn't going anywhere and Cathro can work with him, Im sure he tried to hire him for the role Roger Arnott is doing. Someone will be able to confirm that one.

jamboinglasgow

Certainly has a wide pedigree of experience. Might just be the ideal role for his first gig with Levein there to support as DOF.

I remember reading somewhere that he has huge respect for Levein as it was Levein who gave him his big break. And he has been wanting to get managerial, so hopefully he feels the time is right.

Levein isn't going anywhere and Cathro can work with him, Im sure he tried to hire him for the role Roger Arnott is doing. Someone will be able to confirm that one.

It was the under 20 position he was offered but you are right. He almost took it after Levein talked him round but he was given the opportunity to be assistant manager at Valencia with the manager he was assistant to in Portugal and felt it was too good a chance to turn down.

I remember reading somewhere that he has huge respect for Levein as it was Levein who gave him his big break. And he has been wanting to get managerial, so hopefully he feels the time is right.

It was the under 20 position he was offered but you are right. He almost took it after Levein talked him round but he was given the opportunity to be assistant manager at Valencia with the manager he was assistant to in Portugal and felt it was too good a chance to turn down.

Could just be one of those times when the stars all align to everyone's benefit.

Unless there is some left field whizzkid out there he is my choice.

Tough ask to get him but he has the Levein thing And he wants to be a head coach.

We now have a solid foundation for him to build on and he knows he would have a boss that totally buys into his methods.

If he wants to move into management I am not sure there will be a better first opportunity for him.

kingantti1874

Could be, to be honest for young manager starting out, I don't think there is a better job available anywhere, certainly not in Scotland..

Great facilities, pragmatic and hugely supportive owner..

I think he'll be the number 1 choice. Whether he wants to leave the excellent position he currently has we'll have to wait and see. Might not be a bad opportunity for him though as he's unlikely to get a much bigger gig for his first managerial position whenever he takes the leap.

Despite what was said about creating a conveyor belt of coaches I'm not of the opinion that this means that this is the only option. My understanding has always been that it is in the same way that the academy tries to create a conveyor belt of players ie. promoting from within is ideal but there will be times we need to recruit externally.

I'd imagine he will be on a pretty decent wage as assistant at Newcastle, probably more than we can offer him, but he will have made decent money so far in his career by age of 30 and ultimately knows a pay cut may be required to get into first team management.

He has set up one of the most impressive youth academies in the country, been assistant to current Porto manager at Rio Ave and Valencia and now works under Rafa, great CV for a guy who hasn't been a manager yet

Problem we have IMO is that he may feel his first managerial role is English Championship level and bide his time. Although in our favour is that we are an attractive club for a first time manager. Stable board with a chairwoman with a great reputation and his old mentor Levein involved. State of the art training facilites on the way, improved stadium, crop of good youngsters and a strong focus on youth development.

At first I thought no chance, but more think about it it is realstic, so long as he is looking for a managers job

jamboinglasgow

I think he'll be the number 1 choice. Whether he wants to leave the excellent position he currently has we'll have to wait and see. Might not be a bad opportunity for him though as he's unlikely to get a much bigger gig for his first managerial position whenever he takes the leap.

Despite what was said about creating a conveyor belt of coaches I'm not of the opinion that this means that this is the only option. My understanding has always been that it is in the same way that the academy tries to create a conveyor belt of players ie. promoting from within is ideal but there will be times we need to recruit externally.

I sure there was an interview with Levein months back where he said they want to promote from within but will not be afraid to look outside if required (for example the young coach they want to progress from the ranks still needs time.) To me I see Cathro as the coach Levein wanted to promote from within but could not get him into the system, with  Daly and Fox needing more time to develop it creates a perfect time for Cathro to come to the club.

I see the papers are already saying that Cathro and Naysmith are on the shortlist.

People are swooning a bit about him being at NUFC.

It's a great position if he wants to be an assistant for his career.

If he wants to be a head coach - which he does - he has now had pro team experience at United, Alaves, Valencia and NUFC.

If he is going to make the move when do it if not now?

I'm hopeful Levein can get him, they know each other very well.

He definately must have something about him. Highly rated by all the managers who have worked with him.

Rafa knows the score, he would have emptied him at Newcastle if he wasn't up to it.

I would be amazed if Levein hasn't already been talking to him about coming to Hearts.

Not all assistants/coaches make good managers

McGlynn

Steve Maclaren

Brian Kidd

In fact all Fergies assistants and players

Get the jist

But you never know Cathco could be the exception

Robbie still there though

North Berwick Jambo

I think it is perfect for him! A perfect time to take a perfect job, after cutting his teeth as assistant at some big clubs he finally gets to be manager at a decent club with good prospects and back with his good friend Levein. I hope we do everything we can to try and persuade him and I will be ******* delighted if we manage to pull it off!

I believe that Levein will be in charge until the end of the season with Cathro coming in for start of pre season.

I believe that Levein will be in charge until the end of the season with Cathro coming in for start of pre season.

Your opinion or you have heard this and believe it?

BangkokHearts

Happy with that if true.

Honestly can't see Levein stepping down from upstairs.

Did he not openly say he was looking to take a back seat away from the dugout?

If it did happen I'd be ok with it. Did a good job when he managed us before on a small budget.

Jamtarts-1874

would be very happy if he was given a chance. Apparently he was good whilst at Valencia, they have been terrible since nuno and Cathro left.

You have to think it's going to be him. I remember reading that he's very keen to become a manager, and sees Scotland as a natural place to start.

He may be young, he may be inexperienced in managerial terms, but he's very highly thought of and has contacts at a very decent level.

We already use his Box coaching with the kids too, it kind of looks like it's meant to be

Not all assistants/coaches make good managers

McGlynn

Steve Maclaren

Brian Kidd

In fact all Fergies assistants and players

Get the jist

But you never know Cathco could be the exception

Robbie still there though

You missed out the one and only Billy Brown.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Shanks said no

But Cathro isn't just a number 2 is he? (actually number 4 at NUFC)

This is the guy who set up a football coaching system in Dundee that was his system, he wasn't working under anyone or am I missing something?

Dundee colleagues with lads who were Cathro kids still wax lirecally about him.

Son Of Anarchy

No from me. Just because he put the cones out at Valencia doesn't make him manager material.

Does he commute from Newcastle?

Charlie-Brown

Wont leave a high profile English club to step backwards into Scottish football IMO.

Could get a managers job in England if he wanted is very highly thought of.

Will be on a very substantial salary at Newcastle. That would be the biggest stumbling block for me so not sure if at all realistic. But maybe he is prepared to take a short term hit for the opportunity. If he's interested Hearts should try to structure a very incentivized contract. Even put in a compensation clause whereby any future suitor pays x and he gets y of that amount. Load it so if he makes us successful we take good care of him.

Sorry read it wrong.

Its cool bud.

I was like wtf is he on about? thought you were on the wind up. :lol:

I feel bad now. :sob:

Son Of Anarchy

Its cool bud.

I was like wtf is he on about? thought you were on the wind up. :lol:

I feel bad now. :sob:

Long day mate, read it as puts and not put. Won't fall out over a non existent "s" :thumbsup:

chester copperpot

I am not commenting on the man Cathro as I don't know much about the guy.

However I have been to 2 Box Soccer demonstrations and I found it to be pish.

There's more important and better qualified people involved who disagree with my point however I didn't like it.

Very well thought off in football circles though.

Whoever gets the gig will get my full support until we lose our first game and I will be with the plane hiring crew.

Archived