Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is walking to Haymarket not away from the route north

Walking towards Haymarket is the way to two of the biggest train stations in the country, a large bus station, thousands of pubs and restaurants and into the heart of our capital centre.

Walking into Westhill leads you to maybe a pub or two, and a co-op. Oh and a train station that's going to spring up in the middle of the countryside.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Can anyone estimate how much quicker/slower it will be to drive back from the new stadium compared to Pittodrie?

kingantti1874

As a new build, is the design one that allows easy redevelopment in the future should Aberdeen wish to expand beyond just 20,000?

I wouldn't imagine that will be a problem.. the last few years is pretty much as good as its going to get for them and they struggle for 13k..

IveSeenTheLight

Walking towards Haymarket is the way to two of the biggest train stations in the country, a large bus station, thousands of pubs and restaurants and into the heart of our capital centre.

Walking into Westhill leads you to maybe a pub or two, and a co-op. Oh and a train station that's going to spring up in the middle of the countryside.

Woosh!!!

Can anyone estimate how much quicker/slower it will be to drive back from the new stadium compared to Pittodrie?

Its probably going to be very close to the new bypass so could be slightly quicker. I'll say it will be much the same as im not entirely sure how they will work around parking. There is literally zero parking in the proposed area. Westhill is the closest town and I cant see that being a viable option for fans.

Its quite difficult to think of a comparison in Edinburgh. Best i can think of is imagine building a football stadium on the farmland next to the duel carriage way on the way out to the airport but move Ratho further away, 

IveSeenTheLight

It should be easier for all away fans as you'll have direct access to the bypass and save going through town.

I wouldn't imagine that will be a problem.. the last few years is pretty much as good as its going to get for them and they struggle for 13k..

Yeah yeah,

Last year you averaged 3,000 more fans than Aberdeen.

Our average was 13,652, yours was 16,502 until the split.

We both dropped averages post split

In 13/14 just before you went down, you averaged 14,183 to the split and dropped post split to 13,802.

You have a marginally larger home support and have increased attendances since your galvanised behind the club.

This year your averages have dropped (as has ours) despite being sold out each week ;)

IveSeenTheLight

Its probably going to be very close to the new bypass so could be slightly quicker. I'll say it will be much the same as im not entirely sure how they will work around parking. There is literally zero parking in the proposed area. Westhill is the closest town and I cant see that being a viable option for fans.

Its quite difficult to think of a comparison in Edinburgh. Best i can think of is imagine building a football stadium on the farmland next to the duel carriage way on the way out to the airport but move Ratho further away,

There is dedicated away fans parking (definitely for supporters buses)if I recall correctly Edited by IveSeenTheLight

Thig Ar Latha

Similar to Perth I would imagine. Straight Road when the By-pass is finished. How long it takes to filter the traffic on to the By Pass is the big question. Once on the By Pass I would imagine it would add maybe 10 minutes on to a car journey. I stay near Aberdeen and get the train in if Hearts are playing here. Not got a clue how to get there from the station in Aberdeen

Going by the plans I've seen in the Press, parking at the stadium looks very limited. Think there's a park and ride facility at Kingswells. Not sure how far it is from the Stadium or bypass though.

Are Boro, Derby and Hull out of town? genuinely no idea but they are all one team towns so may have worked.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

Hull are in the city. It's next to a large public park which might be which it can look like the countryside around it

Similar to Perth I would imagine. Straight Road when the By-pass is finished. How long it takes to filter the traffic on to the By Pass is the big question. Once on the By Pass I would imagine it would add maybe 10 minutes on to a car journey. I stay near Aberdeen and get the train in if Hearts are playing here. Not got a clue how to get there from the station in Aberdeen

Going by the plans I've seen in the Press, parking at the stadium looks very limited. Think there's a park and ride facility at Kingswells. Not sure how far it is from the Stadium or bypass though.

There is dedicated away fans parking (definitely for supporters buses)if I recall correctly

One positive about the Kingsford area is there is no shortage of space meaning there should be ample space for parking areas.

Fairly expensive ground though. A lot of oil/helicopter/general offshore stuff recently been built out there. Does 'Mr. Aberdeen' already own the land? Wouldnt be surprising! 

If it was Hearts id have the same mixed feeling about it... Excited about the development but  more concerned about leaving home. 

Club say only 55% of their season ticket holders live in the city itself.

Nearly 20% are in the west or north-west of the city, which is where the stadium will be.

Has their "downfall" been directly down to the stadium being "out of town", or other factors?

Bayern Munich and Juventus have out of town stadiums for comparison.

So a whole 2000 fans travel from Westhill and beyond. There aren't sufficient public services to get folk there from anywhere but Aberdeen city centre. So five and a half thousand can get a bus if they choose buy everyone else will have to walk or take their tractor. Don't kid yourself, it's a shite location for anyone that doesn't live in Westhill and it's shite for most that live there since the majority support celtic, rangers, or man u.

It should be easier for all away fans as you'll have direct access to the bypass and save going through town.

Yeah yeah,

In 13/14 just before you went down, you averaged 14,183 to the split and dropped post split to 13,802.

You have a marginally larger home support and have increased attendances since your galvanised behind the club.

This year your averages have dropped (as has ours) despite being sold out each week ;)

Yup, an average of 3,000 more or put more clearly an additional 57,000 people paying to see the Hearts over the season...

I didn't realise that in 13/14 we had a higher average attendance even after being officially relegated compared to your attendance last season when you "challenged" Celtic...

Have you ever been to the Hydro concert hall in Glasgow, went to see Kevin Bridges there, from leaving our seat to getting out the car park was an hour and three quarters, that's about 10,000 many on foot and many using trains. As for the idea of a few refreshments I'm sure the local traffic cops will be queued up waiting to breathalyse car drivers, adding to the delay getting back.

The car park exit at the hydro isn't controlled by police or traffic lights though is it?

I quite often drive past it on the way home from work after an event has been on, and the delays are minimal if you're already on the road. But if you're in the car park trying to squeeze out into a road full of traffic then yes, it will take time.

There will be police traffic control at Kingsford though. The same as there is at Pittodrie.

I've been trying to remember who else was trying to convince us that an out of town development wouldn't be an issue.

I remember now

5c4386dff6f067ba7768727d8585b030.jpg

It's the Hibernian "I'm no driving all the way out there!" Training Centre, putting parents off since John Collins left

For those asking about an indoor pitch. Space has been left for one to be built in future should the club feel they need one. You can see that on the site plan here. I didn't actually notice that before but on the application on the council website the design brief explains it.

overlay.png

Secondly, for those asking how close it is to Westhill and the bypass, this map should show here.

map.png

Yeah yeah,

Yeah we averaged 3000 more than your pishy wee club. Your a feckin non entity now, your days of fame are away back 30+ years ago and thats your only claim to fame.

Why the feck are you pestering another teams forums with your drivel? away and chat up your fellow ewes. 

Other random images

day.png

stadium_night.png

training.png

The artist's impression of the inside of the stadium was posted in the OP of this thread, but the design has since been updated and is now out of date. The number of rows in the main stand are 24, while the other three stands has risen to 32. The OP also didn't include the wheelchair sections.

I don't how well this image will show up, especially on a mobile, but this is a more updated one.

inside.png

The best way of describing how it is likely to look, is to post the AFG Arena in Switzerland, and the Groupama Arena in Hungary. Aberdeen's will be different in that all the corners have things in them (two TV screens at either side, one is a police control room, and the other I think is just a covered block), but it has the same style in that the main stand seating is lower with executive boxes above it, then the other three stands wrap around.

AFG Arena

AFG_ARENA_St._Gallen_-_Erstes_Spiel_CH_-

Groupama Arena

Groupama_Arena1.jpg

I've been trying to remember who else was trying to convince us that an out of town development wouldn't be an issue.

I remember now5c4386dff6f067ba7768727d8585b030.jpg

It's the Hibernian "I'm no driving all the way out there!" Training Centre, putting parents off since John Collins left

LOL.

Yeah yeah,

Last year we averaged 3000 more than Aberdeen.

Three thousand is not an insignificant number on the scale we are talking about.

In addition to that, take in to account that our average from last season would have been affected by limitations on our capacity.  Had we had space for everyone who wanted a ticket for every game last season, that average would have been a fair bit higher.

You average takes in to account that everyone who wanted a ticket got one and, at 13652, your average leaves space for something like an additional 7000 folk, meanwhile we continue to sell out week in week out with demand for tickets higher than tickets available.

You average, which was 3000 less than ours represents a true picture of demand for tickets.

Our average, at 3000 more doesn't represent the current demand for tickets to see Hearts.

Whilst we might not completely sell out every single game with our increased capacity - I don't think its unreasonable to expect our average to jump up to 18k+ fairly easily - that makes the gap more like 5000...... something like 35-40% higher than yours.

kingantti1874

Yeah yeah,

If we weren't limited to 16,800 the differential would be much bigger, your average is boosted by occasional large crowds .. we do sell out tickets every week but the crowd varies as not all season ticket holders attend every week..

But my main point is you've had s free run at Celtic for quite a while, ON the pitch this is as good as it gets IMO, to add to that the economic situation in Aberdeen is only going one way long term and the central belt fans "gathered" during the fergie ERA are not being replaced by a new generation..

This is peak sheep..

Three thousand is not an insignificant number on the scale we are talking about.

In addition to that, take in to account that our average from last season would have been affected by limitations on our capacity.  Had we had space for everyone who wanted a ticket for every game last season, that average would have been a fair bit higher.

You average takes in to account that everyone who wanted a ticket got one and, at 13652, your average leaves space for something like an additional 7000 folk, meanwhile we continue to sell out week in week out with demand for tickets higher than tickets available.

You average, which was 3000 less than ours represents a true picture of demand for tickets.

Our average, at 3000 more doesn't represent the current demand for tickets to see Hearts.

Whilst we might not completely sell out every single game with our increased capacity - I don't think its unreasonable to expect our average to jump up to 18k+ fairly easily - that makes the gap more like 5000...... something like 35-40% higher than yours.

Excellent post, well said.

This is a big six months now for Hearts because Jan recruitment, the rest of season performances, summer recruitment and season tickets sales will go a long way in determining how much we sell out the new capacity.

Should we recruit well, and perform well, I think next season we could be looking at an average of around 18,500. 

I've Seen The light had a slight dig at averages being down for the this season. All I can say is that we have dot count threads on here, and pretty every game is a home sell-out. If a few hundred fans don't show up for any reason, so be it. And besides, it's hardly our fault that the likes of Hamilton and Ross County only bring a smattering of fans.

Come back next season when we're on an even keel with Aberdeen and Hibs capacity-wise and lets talk about crowd figures then.

Re the shuttle buses. Elland Road is a nightmare after games unless you leave early, and you tend to get to the ground too early pre match incase the shuttles are busy. At least you can have a pint there though. Be a lot of loitering in the cold pre and post match in Aberdeen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a big six months now for Hearts because Jan recruitment, the rest of season performances, summer recruitment and season tickets sales will go a long way in determining how much we sell out the new capacity.

Should we recruit well, and perform well, I think next season we could be looking at an average of around 18,500. 

Absolutely agree with this, and its something I've been wittering on about for a fair few months now.

Put simply, we cant really afford to just write off this season as a 'work in progress' - theres a massive feel good factor around the club just now, and its important that we have 'something' to use to carry that forward in to next year when we're going to actually start NEEDING that extra demand to still be around.

The sheer novelty value of having a shiney new stand should bump the average up on its own, so next years average might be somewhat false in terms of folk who are going along for a nosey but wont keep it up.

Either way, I don't think expectations of an average in the 18k+ range are in anyway unreasonable.

Id imagine next year we'll set the highest average attendance outwith the Glasgow two for a long long time.

For those asking about an indoor pitch. Space has been left for one to be built in future should the club feel they need one. You can see that on the site plan here. I didn't actually notice that before but on the application on the council website the design brief explains it.

overlay.png

I get that there is space for to build one. I just find it incredible that for a ?10M outlay, and in the location you're in, you're not building one in the first place! To impulsively say "oh, we can just throw that up if we ever need it" is bit glib. Where are all these millions coming from? We're talking more than putting up a gazebo at a BBQ.

Yes, it was mild last Christmas. All the beer sitting out the back of my house got warm on the very day I needed it to be cold. But you've surly seen the Aberdeen 'That Was The Team That Was' episode and the winter of 79/80. The snow will come, as will the frost and the sleet.

Yes, you can jet of to Dubai for one week, or use the local sports centre - but what does that say about your ?10M facility?

Given that there are already serious questions over where the initial funding is coming from to cover even the stuff which is already planned......... its staggering just how many 'aye but we will just chuck that up at a later date' type comments I'm reading regarding this.  

'Well we will just do this, and we will just build that, and then we will just expand over there and throw this up next to that and yeah maybe then we can just add to this and buy that'

Pure pie in the sky stuff.

Other random images

day.png

stadium_night.png

training.png

The artist's impression of the inside of the stadium was posted in the OP of this thread, but the design has since been updated and is now out of date. The number of rows in the main stand are 24, while the other three stands has risen to 32. The OP also didn't include the wheelchair sections.

I don't how well this image will show up, especially on a mobile, but this is a more updated one.

inside.png

The best way of describing how it is likely to look, is to post the AFG Arena in Switzerland, and the Groupama Arena in Hungary. Aberdeen's will be different in that all the corners have things in them (two TV screens at either side, one is a police control room, and the other I think is just a covered block), but it has the same style in that the main stand seating is lower with executive boxes above it, then the other three stands wrap around.

AFG Arena

AFG_ARENA_St._Gallen_-_Erstes_Spiel_CH_-

Groupama Arena

Groupama_Arena1.jpg

Wouldn't swap it for Tynecastle.

Ten minutes after the match I'll be back in the pub on my first pint. Two hours later I'll be on my fourth pint whilst some Dons punter is still waiting to get out the car park.

I think the stadium looks tiny. Would be better not filling in the corners, this spreads the capacity out and just makes the stands look a bit st mirren. Filling in the corners only works on much higher capacity grounds.

Much better to have 4 larger, steeper stands.

Imagine tynecastles stands smaller and the corners filled in, I think it would be much worse.

You didn't explain WHY it isn't valid to compare distances. Surely distance is a direct measurement (and thus comparable), and an eight mile move west for Hearts (we can't exactly move eight miles east) would take us to the outposts of Newbridge, Ratho or Kirknewton. Perhaps I can answer that for you by going back to the point about attachment? Hearts ARE attached to Gorgie, but more so because the stadium, as well as the neighbourhood is special to us. If we had Pittodrie Stadium in Gorgie, complete with that North Sea chill, I'm not so sure we'd be QUITE as passionate to remain at all costs.

But re an even greater Tynecastle capacity, it is entirely possible, and the costs, as well as the logistics are lesser than what Ann Budge overcame to deliver the new Main Stand (assuming construction of that goes to plan this year). It's not something we'd need to address unless we pretty much sold out Tynecastle for the next five years and the team was successful, but neither of those scenarios are unrealistic. It is possible we'll continue to grow. It is possible we'll have on-field success (a cup or two would be lovely).

To go into some, but not all detail, we could in theory, extend the Wheatfield Stand without having to move the giant support truss that runs along the top of it. It would need more steel supports from the back, and new roof cladding, but it's very do-able. To obtain planning for that, the ethanol tanks would maybe need to go, but in theory, that is a possibility in the future and could happen anyway regardless of what Hearts do. To build the stand up, we just need a small strip of the community pitch land, but the last time I looked, we've already erected a fence up which, if a deal has been or could be stuck, that strip of land would be all we need. Costs? No idea, but if demand was there, it would surely be worth doing. Planning...we'd need to wax the council, HSE people no doubt.

Could it be done? Well put it this way. Two years ago, people were still saying we couldn't build a new Main Stand due to costs, planning, HSE, infrastructure. Now look at us.

Would it be worth doing? Well, if we think the Wheatfield Stand looks good with 30 rows and 6,000 seats. Imagine how good it would look with 40 rows, and 8,000 seats.

In an ideal world we would purchase the old Tynecastle school and pay to relocate the Distillery's ethanol tank.

This would allow us to knock down the Roseburn and extend the Wheatfield and Main Stand by an additional section... Although solving our issues with pitch size.

The Roseburn could then be rebuilt as a safe standing Kop end.

If we were to obtain the old school, it's perfectly possible to build a fantastic 30k capacity Tynecastle... Assuming we find ?30m in a disused room whilst knocking down the old stand!!!

Beyond that if we ever reached a stage where 30k was far too small, then Murrayfield suddenly becomes a credible option.

Edited by David McCaig

I think the stadium looks tiny. Would be better not filling in the corners, this spreads the capacity out and just makes the stands look a bit st mirren. Filling in the corners only works on much higher capacity grounds.

Imagine tynecastles stands smaller and the corners filled in, I think it would be much worse.

I agree. Tynecastle will be a 20k that feels like 25k... Whereas Aberdeen ground will be 20k that looks like 15k.

The discussion is mute when there's very little chance that they'll raise the money required to pay for even these out of town retail park style designs.

Originally the stands would have been higher than Tynecastle. They were going to be 40 rows with 4,400 behind each goal.

However, after the stadium consultations it became apparent that the three biggest objections from locals were traffic, parking and the stadium blocking their view.

So they've compromised by reducing the height, and say they've managed to win many of the locals over by doing that.

Long before the plans were revealed, one of the Aberdeen forums had a "stadium World Cup" with about 30 stadiums all roughly 20,000 capacity (Tynecastle and Easter Road were included). The Groupama Arena won it, so the fact the new design is fairly similar has gone down well.

Originally the stands would have been higher than Tynecastle. They were going to be 40 rows with 4,400 behind each goal.

I'm sure you've had that in the Roseburn before.

IveSeenTheLight

I can accept most of that post and believe me, I'm not looking to ignite an average attendance debate.

I accept Hearts have a higher home fan base than Aberdeen.

However your average of 16k+ is only in the last 18 months and has shown a drop this year.

Has it peaked? or will it grow more? It's yet to be seen, as despite the sell back option that Hearts operate, attendance this year is marginally lower than last year

If we weren't limited to 16,800 the differential would be much bigger, your average is boosted by occasional large crowds .. we do sell out tickets every week but the crowd varies as not all season ticket holders attend every week..

But my main point is you've had s free run at Celtic for quite a while, ON the pitch this is as good as it gets IMO, to add to that the economic situation in Aberdeen is only going one way long term and the central belt fans "gathered" during the fergie ERA are not being replaced by a new generation..

This is peak sheep..

I understand the point you are making, but the attendances so far for Hearts have marginally dropped this year (as has Aberdeen's) and I read a lot of apathy in these forums.

Will it be boosted by Cathro's new team, possibly, but I can easily envisage a drop in all grounds attendances if it becomes a two horse race again.

I've Seen The light had a slight dig at averages being down for the this season. All I can say is that we have dot count threads on here, and pretty every game is a home sell-out. If a few hundred fans don't show up for any reason, so be it. And besides, it's hardly our fault that the likes of Hamilton and Ross County only bring a smattering of fans.

Come back next season when we're on an even keel with Aberdeen and Hibs capacity-wise and lets talk about crowd figures then.

Rest assured, I mean no dig at all.

Just opening up a discussion topic.

You mention Ross County and Hamilton bringing a poor away crowd, but you have also had both gruesome twosome at home as well as Aberdeen which should have boosted the away average attendance so far.

Like I said, I'm not looking to debate the merits of attendance between Aberdeen and Hearts, I fully accept Hearts have a larger home attendance.

Many fans can be fickle (for all clubs, arguably Aberdeen more than others) and if you don't recruit well, you don't see the performances expected, it's entirely possible that the crowds do not rise as expected as well.

Our attendance has dropped slightly this year because of the overboard segregation barrier. We're probably about 150 seats down per match because of this. Although I think it's been scaled back in the past couple of home games.

Might need to visit Pittodrie soon before it goes, not been there since 1998, shame,  like all grounds after redevelopment or a move they lack character and style.

Modern day football grounds are concrete dishes with plastic seats in them, cheap and nasty.

Fond memories of visits to Aberdeen FC back in the good old days.

I can accept most of that post and believe me, I'm not looking to ignite an average attendance debate.

However your average of 16k+ is only in the last 18 months and has shown a drop this year.

Has it peaked? or will it grow more? It's yet to be seen, as despite the sell back option that Hearts operate, attendance this year is marginally lower than last year

I understand the point you are making, but the attendances so far for Hearts have marginally dropped this year (as has Aberdeen's) and I read a lot of apathy in these forums.

Will it be boosted by Cathro's new team, possibly, but I can easily envisage a drop in all grounds attendances if it becomes a two horse race again.

You mention Ross County and Hamilton bringing a poor away crowd, but you have also had both gruesome twosome at home as well as Aberdeen which should have boosted the away average attendance so far.

Like I said, I'm not looking to debate the merits of attendance between Aberdeen and Hearts, I fully accept Hearts have a larger home attendance.

Many fans can be fickle (for all clubs, arguably Aberdeen more than others) and if you don't recruit well, you don't see the performances expected, it's entirely possible that the crowds do not rise as expected as well.

This is a silly post that is likely to bite you on the arse.

Hearts average will rise next season based on the new stand, and the likelihood of Hibs being back up.

Asking if their crowds have peaked ahead of that is just nonsense.

Tynecastle lost a bit more capacity halfway through last season when some drunken arsehole Dundee Utd fan climbed his way over the tarpaulin segregation. The nearest Hearts fan to him was a middle-aged woman. The result of which was a new, hideously ugly tarpaulin and way wider than it needs to be resulting in less seats for sale. In fact, Since the last stand was built 20 years ago, we've lost so much capacity here and there that it's almost impossible now to get 17,000 in our stadium now.

There was an interesting opinion on the Aberdeen forum about how, should the new stadium be built, Aberdeen have got five years 'grace' (or a similar word used) to keep the fans who will support the move; and in that number there will be a percentage who are maybe new or rejuvenated fans who are interested to see and be part of the new ground.

I suppose we've seen that with West Ham, in which there was a huge uptake in season tickets down there this summer.

I expect Hearts to spark a similar interest and uptake with the new stand open, and as a result, the new 'complete' and fully enclosed look of Tynecastle. As I said before, this is big period for Hearts coming up. Progress on the field will have a direct influence on progress off it. The signing of Cathro and McPhee is a 'gamble', in that it flies in the face of your Billy Browns and Jimmy Calderwood-type appointments, but everything is being done now to create success. As long as the 'floating' fans see progress, they'll turn up in numbers.

I predict Hearts will average 18,500 next season - a 50 year high.

fabienleclerq

I think it's good they're building a new ground as Pittodrie is probably the shitest one in the top flight, certainly from an away fan perspective and aesthetically.

?40m seems about right for that and a training ground, again it's good to see an investment in facilities. A lot of money to find though.

ISTL and LL are obviously sold on it but the location is shite, they're stuck with it so are defending it but Iit's shite. As for the train station, it's my opinion local authorities should be paying for public transport to this type of place if it's built.

fabienleclerq

I think it's good they're building a new ground as Pittodrie is probably the shitest one in the top flight, certainly from an away fan perspective and aesthetically.

?40m seems about right for that and a training ground, again it's good to see an investment in facilities. A lot of money to find though.

ISTL and LL are obviously sold on it but the location is shite, they're stuck with it so are defending it but Iit's shite. As for the train station, it's my opinion local authorities should be paying for public transport to this type of place if it's built.

Hearts average will rise next season based on the new stand, and the likelihood of Hibs being back up.

Hearts fans bought 4,000 tickets for Raith game in a few days

Hearts fans were saying beforehand they didn't expect a big crowd on Sunday

There's a momentum behind Hearts just now. It could dissipate with results. But it might be bigger than it might seem.

That's the big trick. We've been fortunate in how our progress had come about.

New stadium is an opportunity for Aberdeen. Top many obstacles just now but overcoming these could lead to a strong future.

Allowayjambo1874

It's fair enough the Aberdeen lads supporting/ defending the new stadium decision, let's be honest if we done the same there would be guys on here who would be saying the same stuff and defending the club if we relocated.

All I will say is that I think it's naive to think that the transport back and forward will be straightforward and everyone will be gone an hour after the game. If you don't drive or don't have a car you are humped. not sure how many people relying on this public transport plan (especially with kids) will stick with it after 2-3 matches waiting an hour plus at a time especially if we have cold winter.

IveSeenTheLight

It's not silly, it was just a consideration / a discussion point

You make a very good point about new stand / Hib may increase attendances and I accept its entirely plausible for that to happen.

The peaked comment was a reflection of all clubs apathy if the league resorts to a two horse race.

Out of interest, do Hearts have a waiting list for Season Ticket applicants?

IveSeenTheLight

Tynecastle lost a bit more capacity halfway through last season when some drunken arsehole Dundee Utd fan climbed his way over the tarpaulin segregation. The nearest Hearts fan to him was a middle-aged woman. The result of which was a new, hideously ugly tarpaulin and way wider than it needs to be resulting in less seats for sale. In fact, Since the last stand was built 20 years ago, we've lost so much capacity here and there that it's almost impossible now to get 17,000 in our stadium now.

A very fair point which I was not aware of.

There was an interesting opinion on the Aberdeen forum about how, should the new stadium be built, Aberdeen have got five years 'grace' (or a similar word used) to keep the fans who will support the move; and in that number there will be a percentage who are maybe new or rejuvenated fans who are interested to see and be part of the new ground.

I suppose we've seen that with West Ham, in which there was a huge uptake in season tickets down there this summer

I struggle to compare with West Ham.

Totally different clubs and fanbase. I'm sure they had a huge waiting list which was just waiting for the capacity increase.

This is not the same with Aberdeen.

I expect Hearts to spark a similar interest and uptake with the new stand open, and as a result, the new 'complete' and fully enclosed look of Tynecastle. As I said before, this is big period for Hearts coming up. Progress on the field will have a direct influence on progress off it. The signing of Cathro and McPhee is a 'gamble', in that it flies in the face of your Billy Browns and Jimmy Calderwood-type appointments, but everything is being done now to create success. As long as the 'floating' fans see progress, they'll turn up in numbers.

I predict Hearts will average 18,500 next season - a 50 year high.

Its entirely possible, the new team, new stand and re-establishing the Edinburgh Derby will all help.

A return to a two horse race and lack of success on the field may negatively impact that potential.

It would truly be success if you achieve the target of 18,500 average, representing a 12% increase in attendance with the new stand.

I'm not sure why you're struggling to grasp this.

We continue to sell out despite this apparent 'apathy' you've mentioned.

As I said in my post after the one you've quoted - the novelty value of the new stand alone should ensure that our average next season could / should / most likely will be the highest non-OF average in more years than I can remember.

As I've also already said, even after that novelty value wears off - I don't think 18k+ averages are in any way unrealistic.

You've talked about hearts having a MARGAINALLY larger home support......... the point here is that there's nothing marginal about it whatsoever.

Even the current 'false' gap of 3000 is a substantial number given the values we're talking about here. We're talking about a nigh on 20% difference as things stand even with our average being capped by limited capacity.

20% is not marginal by any stretch of the imagination.

IveSeenTheLight

I'm not sure why you're struggling to grasp this.

We continue to sell out despite this apparent 'apathy' you've mentioned.

As I said in my post after the one you've quoted - the novelty value of the new stand alone should ensure that our average next season could / should / most likely will be the highest non-OF average in more years than I can remember.

As I've also already said, even after that novelty value wears off - I don't think 18k+ averages are in any way unrealistic.

You've talked about hearts having a MARGAINALLY larger home support......... the point here is that there's nothing marginal about it whatsoever.

Even the current 'false' gap of 3000 is a substantial number given the values we're talking about here. We're talking about a nigh on 20% difference as things stand even with our average being capped by limited capacity.

20% is not marginal by any stretch of the imagination.

You've misread my posts.

When I mentioned marginal, it was the drop from last years averages.

I did mention the season before you went down where there was a marginal difference then

"In 13/14 just before you went down, you averaged 14,183 to the split and dropped post split to 13,802."

but then went on to say that you have increased from being successful and galvanising behind your club.

I reitterate, I'm not interested in debating who has the larger home fan base. I concede Hearts have repeatedly had more home fans than Aberdeen

Edited by IveSeenTheLight