• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gorillajam
9 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He’s planning his escape. Prediction:

AFC in oodles of debt, in a half-empty rented stadium in the middle of nowhere.

Its actually very good move by Aberdeen. Again a very well run club. Unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Its actually very good move by Aberdeen. Again a very well run club. Unfortunately.

We shall see. ?

gorgie rd eh11
6 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

In what way is it a very good move? Genuine question, no idea how these things work.

Aberdeen have the second wealthiest board in Scottish Football

I would imagine the funds are in place for the project though like all projects I hope they have added at least 25% to the expected costs

Will the move allow them to generate the running costs of the club plus repayments of monies loaned ?

If so then all well and good for them but they also need a team on the park to draw the crowds

IveSeenTheLight
39 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Its a paperwork excercise to bypass rule 9 of the city code where the investment takes the shareholding beyond 30% and they are honourbound to make an offer for the remaining 70% shares as a public limited company.

Private limited companies don’t have the same requirements.

19 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Its a paperwork excercise to bypass rule 9 of the city code where the investment takes the shareholding beyond 30% and they are honourbound to make an offer for the remaining 70% shares as a public limited company.

Private limited companies don’t have the same requirements.

Haggis shagger, do you reckon the designs of the stadium final from before or will they change to something a bit more exciting on the inside? I am curious, thought the steepness of Tynecastle would influence a ground of same size for atmosphere etc.

Edited by kila

IveSeenTheLight
12 minutes ago, kila said:

Haggis shagger, do you reckon the designs of the stadium final from before or will they change to something a bit more exciting on the inside? I am curious, thought the steepness of Tynecastle would influence a ground of same size for atmosphere etc.

There is to be a consultant stage I believe, but the steepness of the stands I don’t think is an option as it may have been part of the planning permission restrictions for the area.

I don’t know for certain, but think there was something about the height of the stadium. Light pollution or some crap like that.

6 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

There is to be a consultant stage I believe, but the steepness of the stands I don’t think is an option as it may have been part of the planning permission restrictions for the area.

I don’t know for certain, but think there was something about the height of the stadium. Light pollution or some crap like that.

Can get away with height issues on a new build by sinking the pitch down though

IveSeenTheLight
12 minutes ago, kila said:

Can get away with height issues on a new build by sinking the pitch down though

I’m sure you could.

Like I said, I’m not sure of the details but think it was an inclusion factor to get planning permission for some reason.

Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

I’m sure you could.

Like I said, I’m not sure of the details but think it was an inclusion factor to get planning permission for some reason.

Be honest. Are you a little worried about how this might turn out?

Wiggy was recently going round local companies asking them to pony up cash to fund the move. He’s no daft the old baldy *****. 

Source: Aberdeen supporting FDs/CFOs of the aforementioned. 

IveSeenTheLight
10 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Be honest. Are you a little worried about how this might turn out?

Initially I was.

I’m increasingly confident that they will pull this off.

Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

Initially I was.

That’s the spirit. ?

kingdannyb
On 02/03/2019 at 03:53, OTT said:

As a side note, I quite like the design of the Richard Donald stand. It only dawned on me recently how bloody big the thing is. 

I'm the opposite - Pittodrie is the ugliest ground in Scotland solely down to the monstrosity that replaced the Beach End terrace !

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Initially I was.

At what cost?

Just now, kingdannyb said:

I'm the opposite - Pittodrie is the ugliest ground in Scotland solely down to the monstrosity that replaced the Beach End terrace !

I suppose its all about opinions eh! I'm not old enough to remember the old stand. 

I just like how imposing and large it is. I'd love the Gorgie and School end to be replaced with something equally big. Perhaps the external design could be worked on. Hard. :D 

Stephen Muddie
2 hours ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

No matter how they spin it, soul will be lost.

The most successful period in their post 1990 history has been now and they still can't average more than 13,000 home fans. I fear for them, or I would if I gave a toss about them. Can't see how the logistics of how thousands of people make their way there will work either. So much for the environmental concerns people pretend they hold dear thesedays - looks like a car journey for half of them.

kingdannyb
On 07/06/2019 at 22:06, OTT said:

I'm not old enough to remember the old stand. 

5ac2296e9f432_AberdeenFC1980ScottishLeag

kirkierobroy

I said it before on this thread - no team has increased its support after moving to a new bypass/roundabout stadium.

I predicted before, and I stand by it, that if they do build it'll have to be scaled down to a MacDiarmid Park with red seats and butteries in the pie stall.

On 07/06/2019 at 21:00, IveSeenTheLight said:

Initially I was.

Always thought they would pull it off.

Location would be my biggest concern.

Just cannot see how fans getting there and back is going to work.

the general
4 minutes ago, benny said:

Always thought they would pull it off.

Location would be my biggest concern.

Just cannot see how fans getting there and back is going to work.

Would maybe have worked easier if you could drink in the stadium.having the bars open before and after the game could ease the flow

Lord Beni of Gorgie

As much as I would like to see this fail, Aberdeen is a place where you can very easily add the shire. We are all very much used to motoring around the city and not relying on public transport (just as well).

It wont fail on location. It may well fail on over ambition though.

Aberdeen people will not buy into it unless Aberdeen are beating Rangers regularly. Strong Rangers=apathetic Aberdeen

GorgieFifeLife

I cant see the new stadium changing anything, they will get the same poor crowds but will be playing in a half empty soulless stadium. 

Once the novelty factor wares off (probably after season 1 - maybe earlier depending on results) I strongly believe it will be a failure of a move for Aberdeen.  The future trends all point towards people moving into city centres, ditching cars, walking/cycling, micro mobility (electric scooters), is the future.  Aberdeen are not going to build a suitable transport network to reach the stadium, the cost will be prohibitive for the numbers being quoted 10,000 pax every 2 weeks for 3/4 of a year..  A lot of people fall into trap of looking at the bigger clubs building football campus's with incredible stadia and facilities - these will work because they have the budgets/fanbase, they have fans travelling from all over the globe to watch matches but in Scotland sadly we will never have that level support.

In a world where there are a growing number of obstacles to stop people from attending the football the last thing you want to do is move your ground to a field 15 miles away.  People are just looking at the wealth of the owners, I don't believe that they are in the position they are to make Aberdeen a better football club, I believe they are there with the main intention of making themselves and their personal businesses wealthier.  

54 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Once the novelty factor wares off (probably after season 1 - maybe earlier depending on results) I strongly believe it will be a failure of a move for Aberdeen.  The future trends all point towards people moving into city centres, ditching cars, walking/cycling, micro mobility (electric scooters), is the future.  Aberdeen are not going to build a suitable transport network to reach the stadium, the cost will be prohibitive for the numbers being quoted 10,000 pax every 2 weeks for 3/4 of a year..  A lot of people fall into trap of looking at the bigger clubs building football campus's with incredible stadia and facilities - these will work because they have the budgets/fanbase, they have fans travelling from all over the globe to watch matches but in Scotland sadly we will never have that level support.

In a world where there are a growing number of obstacles to stop people from attending the football the last thing you want to do is move your ground to a field 15 miles away.  People are just looking at the wealth of the owners, I don't believe that they are in the position they are to make Aberdeen a better football club, I believe they are there with the main intention of making themselves and their personal businesses wealthier.  

Spot on. It's a very regressive move, especially as there is no need for it. In the MLS they've built a lot of new stadiums, many - maybe most - in or near the centre of cities and transport links, Minnesota's being the latest. Aberdeen is going against the grain here.

The only thing Aberdeen might be gambling on is that a lot of Aberdeen fans don't seem to live in Aberdeen. Maybe their counting on a lot of folk already driving to games anyhow and now it might be easier.

IveSeenTheLight
6 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Most of the support come from the shire.

only 8% walk to Pittodrie, the remaining includes various means of transport.

Kingsford will be easier to get to than Pittodrie for most fans and is not 15 miles away. It’s 6.2 miles from Union street.

There will no doubt be initial traffic problems, but far less than around Pittodrie as it stands.

14 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Kingsford will be easier to get to than Pittodrie for most fans and is not 15 miles away. It’s 6.2 miles from Union street.

There will no doubt be initial traffic problems, but far less than around Pittodrie as it stands.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

On 07/06/2019 at 20:00, IveSeenTheLight said:

Initially I was.

I enjoy your input on this thread as it's good to hear from someone with an emotional stake in this. 

However, I don't understand what it is it that gives you confidence in this project. 

Your dismissal of the change in plc status status as a paper exercise only and your willingness to buy in to the 'it'll be alright on the night' transport plan does bear a similarity to our own hopeless naivety in assuming any of  Vlad's plans were well worked through.

I get the feeling that you'll rationalise every announcement and accept the offered logic rather than scrutinise the arguments and come to a different conclusion.

Personally, I don't think the costs and location are in your favour at all. I think Aberdeen will be operating at a lower level rather than kicking on as a result of this project. Milne will see he's doing fine though.

2E59EA00-34AC-41E7-BD4B-39249C613820.jpeg

tenor.gif?itemid=5571480

A stadium with no public transport connection is a terrible idea, especially in this day and age.

Assuming people drive by the sounds of it, they'll be in the carpark for ages trying to get out.

Edited by Guest

I have no ill will toward our sheep visitor in particular but I hope this white elephant hampers your club for years to come.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Was obvious. So I fixed it for you.??

I'm glad you're here sometimes to keep me on the straight and narrow.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the
Inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men 
Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will 
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness 
for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children 
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious
Anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers 
And you will know
My name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Aye aye shepherds and aw that. Don't overplay your part?. Anyway hope the stadium is shite and costs them a fortune.

9 hours ago, Barack said:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the
Inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men 
Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will 
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness 
for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children 
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious
Anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers 
And you will know
My name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

I assume everyone else read that in Samuel L Jackson's voice...?

TyphoonJambo
33 minutes ago, BRY said:

Not just me then?

34 minutes ago, BRY said:

It’s better if you do it in Reverend Lovejoy’s voice.  

some football clubs should never move to out of town stadiums, I reckon (and hope) the sheep will regret this.

Related image

Fareastjambo

It’s the kingswells/Westhill residents I feel for. Would Stewart Milne like a stadium on his doorstep? Think the answer might be no!  

5 hours ago, cheetah said:

some football clubs should never move to out of town stadiums, I reckon (and hope) the sheep will regret this.

Related image

State of that pitch ?

Unknown user
5 hours ago, cheetah said:

Related image

They made a spectacular arse of that! They spent most of their life in the bottom tier with average crowds of less than 5k but built a 25,000 all seater out of town stadium in the early 2000s which led to 3 administrations and a liquidation before reforming as Darlington 1883. They now play at the 3,300 capacity Blackwell Meadows as tenants of Darlington Rugby with most games getting less than 1500 through the gates.

Seriously, spectacular arse!

19 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

What’s the source of the 8 per cent, and does it tell you how many use public transport/taxis/their own cars? Have always been curious what these numbers are for HMFC, too.

I agree with the earlier comment that out-of-town stadia are an idea whose time has passed. But genuinely interested in any data you have.

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

What’s the source of the 8 per cent, and does it tell you how many use public transport/taxis/their own cars? Have always been curious what these numbers are for HMFC, too.

I agree with the earlier comment that out-of-town stadia are an idea whose time has passed. But genuinely interested in any data you have.

It's one of those stats that sounds good til you actually think about it.

It gives the impression that 92% of fans won't be inconvenienced as they don't currently walk to Pittodrie anyway, but what about those who get buses and what have you  from other parts of Aberdeen? I don't know Aberdeen well, but I've seen the buses round Tynecastle on matchday, public transport is hoachin on match day in any city. 

Well those guys now need to get a bus into the centre of town before queuing with hopefully thousands of others for one of the fleet of buses provided at the club's expense. I'd be interested to know what percentage of fans get local public transport to games.

indianajones

Maybe they should redesign the Kingsford arena to look like a Tardis seen as thats where the majority of Aberdeen fans seem to live. 

kirkierobroy
On 11/06/2019 at 15:20, Jambo92 said:

That's as good a summary of the situation as I've read, even if per our Doric chum some of the mileages are overstated.

On 29/01/2019 at 14:35, Harry Potter said:

Where are they getting 50 million ?

A friend, originally from Edinburgh, worked for many years in finance in the US - he was sent some sort of investment prospectus for this, and it horrified him.

He said it was based on wild speculation, hope, and wishful thinking - the figures just didn’t stand up to any scrutiny at all.

He’s never had any real interest in Football, so has no axe to grind with Aberdeen, and i’ve no reason to doubt him.

1 hour ago, The Gasman said:

A friend, originally from Edinburgh, worked for many years in finance in the US - he was sent some sort of investment prospectus for this, and it horrified him.

He said it was based on wild speculation, hope, and wishful thinking - the figures just didn’t stand up to any scrutiny at all.

He’s never had any real interest in Football, so has no axe to grind with Aberdeen, and i’ve no reason to doubt him.

It's all very Romanov-esque. Except his stadium plans were to cost 50m as well and were met with derision in the press. They were much more realistic and workable than Aberdeen's though as we weren't moving anywhere. There doesn't seem to be a lot of scrutiny of Aberdeen's financing of this.