Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

I very much doubt there will be a two hour dissipation of supporters from the new stadium.

I think it's some poor, worst case scenario calculations.

Even if that's the absolute worst case and its 'only' an hour - that's still laughable.

Too bad if you're an away fan with a train to catch or whatever midweek eh!! Still standing about outside the stadium at half past 10 at night waiting on a bus to come get you.

Could argue the toss over the exact timings or numbers or whatever else until we are blue in the face - the harsh reality of the situation is that its far from an ideal solution logistically. I doubt if that much is even up for debate.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I very much doubt there will be a two hour dissipation of supporters from the new stadium.

I can't blame you guys for looking on the bright side but surely there are alarm bells ringing.

No matter how you look at it, up to 20,000 people will be looking to leave the same place at the same time by vehicle, there'll be virtually no foot traffic.

Think of the crowd leaving a packed tynie, and then picture them in cars and buses.

Exactly, I never said that. I said the transport strategy estimates those relying solely on public buses, it will take two hours to get them all home. The majority will have left within the first hour.

The shuttle bus queue is 45 minutes. Probably similar to empty the car park. Again, this is the final people, the majority will be away quickly.

Supporters buses they say "will have exited within two minutes", which I actually thought was a bit exaggerated, but if the police are holding back traffic which is what they do at Pittodrie then it wouldn't take much longer than that.

These are no different from the Pittodrie waiting times. It takes me an hour to get from Pittodrie to the A90 at the moment, and funnily enough when I lived in Westhill it took me an hour to get home from games. If driving at the new stadium I'll be away much quicker as the bypass is a few hundred yards away.

Even if that's the absolute worst case and its 'only' an hour - that's still laughable.

Too bad if you're an away fan with a train to catch or whatever midweek eh!! Still standing about outside the stadium at half past 10 at night waiting on a bus to come get you.

Could argue the toss over the exact timings or numbers or whatever else until we are blue in the face - the harsh reality of the situation is that its far from an ideal solution logistically. I doubt if that much is even up for debate.

You mean like Aberdeen fans at away games? You can't get a train home from Glasgow for example, which also rules out the likes of Kilmarnock, Hamilton and Motherwell.

I think there's one train home from Edinburgh, at 9.45pm. At the last game at Tynecastle the game finished at 9.35 then all routes to the station were blocked and we had to walk towards Murrayfield, so I don't think any Dons fan would make that train unless they left early.

You mean like Aberdeen fans at away games? You can't get a train home from Glasgow for example, which also rules out the likes of Kilmarnock, Hamilton and Motherwell.

I think there's one train home from Edinburgh, at 9.45pm. At the last game at Tynecastle the game finished at 9.35 then all routes to the station were blocked and we had to walk towards Murrayfield, so I don't think any Dons fan would make that train unless they left early.

A different point that though isn't it. 

That's a geographical issue, this is a genuine concern based on what has been put across in a planning document meaning some fans might be waiting for 2 hours after a game to get back to a city centre. 

As Smithee says, it's quite right that you are looking at this positively, but you are being very closed minded to not acknowledge that there sounds like there will be some issues. Your argument quickly loses credibility when you refuse to acknowledge the other side. 

Even if as you say 'most' is cleared within an hour, that's still a nightmare for some. What if the away fans are kept in - do they then fall outside that 'most' definition? Are you penalising people that stay to the end as they join the back of a queue?

It's ok to say it's a good thing (which undoubtedly a new ground definitely is) and accept there are some issues with it. 

Edited by Dalstonjambo

Wonder if the sheep fans will still be as positive when they're charged ?50 a game to park their car and ?10 to get a shuttle bus.

That ?40 million won't appear itself

I can't blame you guys for looking on the bright side but surely there are alarm bells ringing.

No matter how you look at it, up to 20,000 people will be looking to leave the same place at the same time by vehicle, there'll be virtually no foot traffic.

Think of the crowd leaving a packed tynie, and then picture them in cars and buses.

And at least when they are leaving Tynie they are probably all heading off in different directions in fairly equal numbers.

The vast majority of folk leaving Pittodrie will be headed in exactly the same direction.

IveSeenTheLight

If your an away fan on a midweek game, it's highly unlikely your travelling by train.

Your most likely on a supporters bus or travelled by car.

I been to many a concert venue, or exhibition centre venue and it's possible to disperse a lot of people very quickly from arenas.

It's not realistic to "Think of the crowd leaving a packed tynie, and then picture them in cars and buses." as the road infrastructure around Gorgie is not the same as being right on a bypass running North and South with those going directly east dispersing down the lang stracht or towards Queens Cross

Exactly, I never said that. I said the transport strategy estimates those relying solely on public buses, it will take two hours to get them all home. The majority will have left within the first hour.

Well, I guess it depends how far away their home is ;)

To be honest, I can see a few heading straight into the supporters bar afterwards and chilling out with a refreshment or two.

I quite like the idea myself

That is not through fault of the location of Tynecastle no its transport links though.

We have copious bus services surrounding the area headed in all directions, and a major train station a 15 minute walk away.

The location of Tynecastle has NOTHING to do with your ability (or indeed lack of) to get home from a midweek fixture in Edinburgh.

Edited by Erik

If your an away fan on a midweek game, it's highly unlikely your travelling by train.

I been to many a concert venue, or exhibition centre venue and it's possible to disperse a lot of people very quickly from arenas.

It's not realistic to "Think of the crowd leaving a packed tynie, and then picture them in cars and buses." as the road infrastructure around Gorgie is not the same as being right on a bypass running North and South with those going directly east dispersing down the lang stracht or towards Queens Cross

To be honest, I can see a few heading straight into the supporters bar afterwards and chilling out with a refreshment or two.

I can't think of many 20,000 capacity exhibition centres to compare with, but I get what you're saying.

I'm really really glad that the equivalent isn't our only option though!

That is not through fault of the location of Tynecastle no its transport links though.

We have copious bus services surrounding the area headed in all directions, and a major train station a 15 minute walk away.

The location of Tynecastle has NOTHING to do with your ability (or indeed lack of) to get home from a midweek fixture in Edinburgh.

You can't moan that fans won't be able to get home by train, then dismiss the fact they can't get home by train from Tynecastle either.

I'm not even sure if they can get home from Pittodrie by train at a midweek game, so it's actually no different.

As it goes, a train station being built near the stadium is likely at some point, it just won't be there in time for the stadium being built. The government are already building three new stations in Aberdeen, one of which is part of the new AECC complex, and are dualling the Inverurie to Stonehaven line in order to run more services.

Linking the new stadium (or surrounding area) to the tracks wouldn't be that difficult a job. It's only a couple of miles of track and mainly through the countryside.

Wonder if the sheep fans will still be as positive when they're charged ?50 a game to park their car and ?10 to get a shuttle bus.

That ?40 million won't appear itself

Be more unhappy with 10 years of reduced money for the team.

You can't moan that fans won't be able to get home by train, then dismiss the fact they can't get home by train from Tynecastle either.

I'm not even sure if they can get home from Pittodrie by train at a midweek game, so it's actually no different.

As it goes, a train station being built near the stadium is likely at some point, it just won't be there in time for the stadium being built. The government are already building three new stations in Aberdeen, one of which is part of the new AECC complex, and are dualling the Inverurie to Stonehaven line in order to run more services.

Linking the new stadium (or surrounding area) to the tracks wouldn't be that difficult a job. It's only a couple of miles of track and mainly through the countryside.

Last input on this as its boring me now.

The location of Tynecastle doesn't hinder folk from getting home.

The location of the new Aberdeen stadium WILL hinder folk from getting home.

Its as simple as that.

As such, I could probably leave Tynecastle after a game, and drive to Aberdeen before the last of the folk who've waited 2 hours on a bus have managed to leave the stadium.... or at least not far off it anyway.

As for the rest of your post regarding rail links - that's a whole lot of if's but's and maybe's. Pure speculation and not part of any current plan.

Edited by Erik

The shuttle bus queue is 45 minutes. Probably similar to empty the car park. Again, this is the final people, the majority will be away quickly.

Supporters buses they say "will have exited within two minutes", which I actually thought was a bit exaggerated, but if the police are holding back traffic which is what they do at Pittodrie then it wouldn't take much longer than that.

These are no different from the Pittodrie waiting times. It takes me an hour to get from Pittodrie to the A90 at the moment, and funnily enough when I lived in Westhill it took me an hour to get home from games. If driving at the new stadium I'll be away much quicker as the bypass is a few hundred yards away

Had a look at Appendix F of the Transport Assessment. For non OF/Euro games, there will be nine buses from the City Centre making a single journey.  Might be enough for most games, but us, United (hopefully), Dundee? 

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OJMF3EBZIED00

'Not that difficult a job' - are you kidding? it would cost ?10s of millions of pound for a completely new line and station at the stadium.

There's absolutely no danger the government or the city council will pay for that considering it will basically only be of the benefit to the Football club and a few local residents.

You can add another ?20 million to that ?40 million you're never going to raise.

That'll be fine, then. Never any problems with transport infrastructure projects in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire!

You can, because our attendances in the current situation are well established, while your new circumstances are likely to affect your already diminished crowds.

As for your railway line comment, it costs millions to lay track and build a station - they're going to spend that for it to get used heavily 25 days out of 365? Dreaming mate

Come on now boys its 'only a couple of miles of track' and a new station to go with it.

Not that difficult a job.................

:cornette:

'Not that difficult a job' - are you kidding? it would cost ?10s of millions of pound for a completely new line and station at the stadium.

There's absolutely no danger the government or the city council will pay for that considering it will basically only be of the benefit to the Football club and a few local residents.

You can add another ?20 million to that ?40 million you're never going to raise.

It wouldn't be Aberdeen paying for it.

The government are spending ?740m on EGIP.

They're spending ?330m on the Aberdeen to Inverness line.

Money can be found for these things, especially since this would relatively cheap in comparison and I still actually just an extension of the current improvements they are already making.

It wouldn't just be for the benefit of football fans. It would serve Westhill, Kingswells, Counteswells, possibly Cults, and the Prime Four business park which is putting through a ?100m extension to build a retail park.

I wouldn't say it was that unrealistic.

It wouldn't be Aberdeen paying for it.

The government are spending ?740m on EGIP.

They're spending ?330m on the Aberdeen to Inverness line.

Money can be found for these things, especially since this would relatively cheap in comparison and I still actually just an extension of the current improvements they are already making.

It wouldn't just be for the benefit of football fans. It would serve Westhill, Kingswells, Counteswells, possibly Cults, and the Prime Four business park which is putting through a ?100m extension to build a retail park.

I wouldn't say it was that unrealistic.

You're in an absolute fantasy land mate. You'd have to agree to contribute to the construction of a train station and train line outside your brand new stadium otherwise It wouldn't go ahead.

Well you guys seen to have an answer for everything, good luck to you.

Again though, really glad this isn't Hearts problem

Agreed. It all seems a bit desperate.

You're in an absolute fantasy land mate. You'd have to agree to contribute to the construction of a train station and train line outside your brand new stadium otherwise It wouldn't go ahead.

I never said it'd be built at the stadium. I said near the stadium, which could be anywhere up to a 20-30 minute walk away.

I never said it'd be built at the stadium. I said near the stadium, which could be anywhere up to a 20-30 minute walk away.

The nearest bit of track at the moment is five miles away? Where are you suggesting this new station would be? Where is the line going to continue to? 

This guy Panda makes another ill-informed post (his bits in bold) with my response below. He seems to read JKB so he'll hopefully see this.

Hearts though are also having to put up with the many problems faced by staying put. Firstly, considering their crowds, many wanted to see a lot bigger capacity than 20,099. However they can't really build any bigger than that. So while in future Aberdeen and Hibs could probably expand (even if only temporarily to host a Euros or something) Hearts can't.

Again, this is something that Panda seems to be certain of, but I would disagree. I think it is possible, as described in my previous response further up the thread. And again, out of Aberdeen and Hearts, I think we're the only club that WILL actually have to address this issue in the mid-term.

They're also having to make do with the limited space they have. Even with the new Stand built they'll have less hospitality than Pittodrie. They have no room to build executive boxes.

Incorrect. The reason we won't have any "executive boxes" facing the pitch is that we've chosen not to do so. The Tynecastle experience isn't about hiding behind a glass box. It's about being in the stand and sampling the atmosphere. Corporate guest will get wined and dined as much as Pittodrie, but ours won't be shielding themselves from the bitter North Sea chill. Our new stand has two floors of fantastic corporate facilities including a stunning GLASS BOX roof terrace over-looking the great city of Edinburgh. And we also still have the Gorgie Suite.

Their museum is so small they have had to leave stuff out if it, but don't have the room to build it anywhere else.

True, not everything in our collection can be shown at once, but that's the same with The Lourve in Paris. You display some things, and then to keep the museum 'fresh', you rotate it with other stuff at a later date. The Hearts museum is a magnificent experience, beautifully done and for me, the time it took to go round was just about right. And yes, there is potentially more room in the Main Stand for more exhibits, so Panda: don't talk shite.

If you read the new main stand thread on kickback you'll see them all arguing about how they can't fill in the corners, how the distillery own land behind Tynecastle which prevents further expansion, etc.

Not true. Only a small minority are arguing about the corners not being filled in, and most of them haven't considered the engineering involved in doing that.

Hearts have done very well with what they've got and when the main stand is finished it'll be a cracking stadium. But, it's a basic stadium with very basic facilities. When the day comes (admittedly a long way away) that the other three stands need replaced, they'll likely have to consider moving again.

Not true. The new stand will give us some of the best and most unique facilities in the country. This new stand is certainly not being done on the cheap. The three new stands are made of steel and concrete. They're just fine thanks. And if the time comes, I reckon we could extend the Wheatfield.

If Aberdeen build everything they say they are going to build, then we'll have a far better, more modern place, with room to build what we like in future, and right across the road from our own training facility. Add to that it'll all be in a beautiful part of the world too.          

Because Edinbrugh isn't beautiful? A city that is often voted top of the list of the best cities on the UK and indeed Europe.

From what looked like a nice enough stadium to all a bit $h!t in the space of a few pages.

In about 5 years time the Scottish Supporters Association or whatever they are called annual survey will have Aberdeen down not only as the worst away day experience, but one for home supporters too.

So a 30 minute walk to a train station on country roads or an hour wait for a bus in Aberdeen weather.

Again, how the **** is your chairman getting away with this?

IveSeenTheLight

So a 30 minute walk to a train station on country roads or an hour wait for a bus in Aberdeen weather.

Again, how the **** is your chairman getting away with this?

All getting a little hypothetical and a bit further into future options to be honest.

the ground is right on the outskirts of Westhill. It will back onto Lawsondale football playing fields which at the edge of theLawsondale / Arnhall area of Westhill.

If a system was introduced to support the local area, you would not be walking 30 minutes along country roads.

From what looked like a nice enough stadium to all a bit $h!t in the space of a few pages.

In about 5 years time the Scottish Supporters Association or whatever they are called annual survey will have Aberdeen down not only as the worst away day experience, but one for home supporters too.

Hardly

If a system was introduced to support the local area, you would not be walking 30 minutes along country roads.

I would deem the chances of this "system" being introduced as very unlikely.

All getting a little hypothetical and a bit further into future options to be honest.

the ground is right on the outskirts of Westhill. It will back onto Lawsondale football playing fields which at the edge of theLawsondale / Arnhall area of Westhill.

Is walking into Westhill not the opposite direction to Aberdeen city centre..

So Aberdeen will be left with a debt of about ?25million, there is 0% chance that they will be able to trade themselves out of that.

We only know too well how a big debt can weigh down a club and strangle it financially.

I can see this being a disaster if it goes ahead. ?40,000,000 for a new stadium in Scotland??

The nearest bit of track at the moment is five miles away? Where are you suggesting this new station would be? Where is the line going to continue to?

Well, me, I would build it next to the Kingswells park and ride. It could join the line between Dyce and Kintore.

But I wasn't really wanting an in depth discussion about something not yet planned. I was simply saying with Aberdeen city council planning to build more train stations, there's every chance one will be considered in future.

Debating where it will go or how much it will cost is for another day, but if they can build a bypass across the city then it's not unrealistic to extend the train tracks a few miles.

Edit: Should add, one of the planned new stations was/is at Cove, and one of the factors behind it was that it would be next to Aberdeen's planned new stadium at Loirston. Though, granted, it was already on an existing line.

Edited by La_Leyenda

Well, me, I would build it next to the Kingswells park and ride. It could join the line between Dyce and Kintore.

But I wasn't really wanting an in depth discussion about something not yet planned. I was simply saying with Aberdeen city council planning to build more train stations, there's every chance one will be considered in future.

Debating where it will go or how much it will cost is for another day, but if they can build a bypass across the city then it's not unrealistic to extend the train tracks a few miles.

Edit: Should add, one of the planned new stations was/is at Cove, and one of the factors behind it was that it would be next to Aberdeen's planned new stadium at Loirston. Though, granted, it was already on an existing line.

Is the stadium do-able without a train link ? Serious question. It's a few years since I've been up in Aberdeen but I remember the drive from airport to city centre was really horrendous in the evening rush hour. I'm assuming things haven't gotten any better over the year , hence talk of more local stations ?

Are there no plans for an indoor pitch at this new site?

Club say it's a consideration for future, and easily done (presume they can just put a roof over one of the pitches), but initial planning doesn't include it.

Is the stadium do-able without a train link ? Serious question. It's a few years since I've been up in Aberdeen but I remember the drive from airport to city centre was really horrendous in the evening rush hour. I'm assuming things haven't gotten any better over the year , hence talk of more local stations ?

Bypass is currently being built.

As for the stations, I can't remember the exact figures but it is something like 15% of the city use local train services at the moment (i.e. Inverurie-Dyce-Aberdeen-Stonehaven) and they wanted to increase that to nearer 40%, so are building stations at Kintore and Cove with plans to then run more services, while the new AECC at Bucksburn will also have a station, which in turn provides a rail link direct to the airport.

It's all part of their stragedy to move traffic away from the city centre. The new stadium being west of the city helps in that respect too.

Club say it's a consideration for future, and easily done (presume they can just put a roof over one of the pitches), but initial planning doesn't include it.

And the initial ?10M is earmarked for training facilities? I find that staggering, especially when considering where Kingsford is. 

Hearts have exclusive use of a 60M x 40M indoor pitch (4G and all that), as well as having availability to use the full sized indoor pitch. 

Where would Aberdeen train when there's a foot of snow? 

5410529.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

WheatfieldWarrior

Are you trying to suggest that they should catch the train from Haymarket to Waverley, to then catch the train from Waverley to Aberdeen?

I think the problem with these night games and train schedules was that there was not a train scheduled from Haymarket to Waverley in time to catch the train north.

I prefer to just pick up a takeaway from Dalry and wait in Haymarket,

There was no issues with the result to walk off.

I prefer to just pick up a takeaway from Dalry and wait in Haymarket,

Yes that's right. even at night they are every 4-5 mins tops. Must surely be faster than hoofing it half way across Edinburgh.

If the connection is tight and can't accommodate that then the people walking to Waverley are getting their pick of the seats on a later train.

The obvious choice if getting on at Haymarket works too though,

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

Looks like Bournemouth's ground. They're also putting in a museum and memorial  garden. Wonder where they took that idea from?

No mention of dates of when they see it happening.

Except it is twice the size of Bournemouth's ground!

So Aberdeen will be left with a debt of about ?25million, there is 0% chance that they will be able to trade themselves out of that.

We only know too well how a big debt can weigh down a club and strangle it financially.

I can see this being a disaster if it goes ahead. ?40,000,000 for a new stadium in Scotland??

This, or else Milne or someone is going to foot a large part of the bill, at best Aberdeen will struggle through a decade of budget cuts if they're ?25m in debt. Given the current financial situation in the UK it would probably be an even worse situation than our own. Edited by Ibrahim Tall

Have you ever been to the Hydro concert hall in Glasgow, went to see Kevin Bridges there, from leaving our seat to getting out the car park was an hour and three quarters, that's about 10,000 many on foot and many using trains. As for the idea of a few refreshments I'm sure the local traffic cops will be queued up waiting to breathalyse car drivers, adding to the delay getting back.

IveSeenTheLight

Is walking into Westhill not the opposite direction to Aberdeen city centre..

Is walking to Haymarket not away from the route north?

Are there no plans for an indoor pitch at this new site?

It would not be hard to retrospectfully put up a frame over the existing pitches is required

Where would Aberdeen train when there's a foot of snow? 

Maybe Dubai if there's a winter break ;)

Seriously though, at the moment we would use the Aberdeen Sports Villiage like we do now

IveSeenTheLight

Have you ever been to the Hydro concert hall in Glasgow, went to see Kevin Bridges there, from leaving our seat to getting out the car park was an hour and three quarters, that's about 10,000 many on foot and many using trains. As for the idea of a few refreshments I'm sure the local traffic cops will be queued up waiting to breathalyse car drivers, adding to the delay getting back.

Guess you'll not be going back to the Hydro then

Guess you'll not be going back to the Hydro then

Well exactly, now take out "the Hydro" and replace it with "Aberdeens new stadium complex in the backarse of nowhere"

It would not be hard to retrospectfully put up a frame over the existing pitches is required

That's the second time someone's come out with this - never done any building work then?

We'll just put a building up over the pitch, **** me!

Maybe Dubai if there's a winter break ;)

Seriously though, at the moment we would use the Aberdeen Sports Villiage like we do now

Wouldn't you agree though that if you were to spend ?10M on a training facility in the north east of Scotland, you would at the very least have an indoor pitch to train on when the weather is at its worst. Even Hibs have got a shed of some description!

Why fit a 'frame' retrospectively? Why not include one in the original design. Because you'll surely need it. 

Why spend ?10M on a training facility you can't use in winter?

Just asking :)

IveSeenTheLight

Wouldn't you agree though that if you were to spend ?10M on a training facility in the north east of Scotland, you would at the very least have an indoor pitch to train on when the weather is at its worst. Even Hibs have got a shed of some description!

Why fit a 'frame' retrospectively? Why not include one in the original design. Because you'll surely need it.

Why spend ?10M on a training facility you can't use in winter?

Just asking :)

There has been no winter though.

Xmas day was 15 degrees ;)

I was out playing in Inverurie when there was a heavy frost forecast and the ALL- weather pitch was very good.

If it were to become a problem, we have alternatives, so nothing to worry about at this stage.

Edited by IveSeenTheLight