Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

Not sure to be honest, but it seemed to take up a whole corner on the ground floor (there is to be 3 levels) on the North East Corner, with the fans zone outside.

35563f9f5d828e951182f7f816aa449a.jpg

Edited by Buffalo Bill

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stephen Muddie

Well in perspective

Haymarket to Tynecastle - 1.2 miles

Aberdeen Train Station to Pittodrie - 1.5 miles

Aberdeen to Kingsford - 6.2 miles

So it's 4 times further than the current stadium, but only 20 mins on the bus.

Entirely possible to enjoy the town refreshments and then jump on the bus to the stadium.

I've seen times when there is a scramble to get on the train at Haymarket before its gets full after a game to the point that some walk to Waverley to get a better chance of securing a seat on the train.

Indeed it's not the first time I've had to stand the whole way on a train after a game at Tynecastle.

I'm sure the swathes of visiting fans will cope if they want to see the game live.

Keep convincing yourself. Was it you or your pal who suggested building a feckin golf course for fans to play a round on before the match? :laugh:

Seymour M Hersh

Keep convincing yourself. Was it you or your pal who suggested building a feckin golf course for fans to play a round on before the match? :laugh:

There'll be plenty sheep for the Aberdeen fans to "play around with" before the match in the fields surrounding the ground.

There's already a golf course in Westhill.

And coincidently, a golf course right next to Pittodrie.

Stephen Muddie

There's already a golf course in Westhill.

And coincidently, a golf course right next to Pittodrie.

Do many mutton molesters partake in ruining a good walk pre-match presently?

Suspect Device

You mean Stratfords?

if so, good choice, just don't nick our seats at the back bar....

Or ours (Charlie's bench)... I must know you !!!

I think it will be a reasonable enough stadium & transportation shouldn't be a huge issue I'd go to Westhill by going up past Tillydrone and the back road past Bucksburn it cuts out having to go through a packed city centre.

If I was an Aberdeen fan I would be a little concerned as you are certainly going to get minimum walk-ups and televised games will deter people even more so than it does now. Not seen any figures on what Pittodries land is worth but I'd imagine there would also be a significant funding gap.

This is assuming planning permission is approved,  Westhill is a sleepy little town and the residents may not take to kindly to 1000's of football fans invading every two weeks.

Bit like the pink lego stuff aye?

It's a football forum - i made a joke, and you bit. So i achieved my goal.

Do you honestly expect to constantly try and patronise people and Hearts on a Hearts messageboard and not get a bit of stick back? Stop being so precious.

And in answer to your question I'd be making the 900 mile round trip I make to see Hearts every week whoever they were playing, as I care about Hearts. But please come on here and tell us a bit more about how hard it is for Aberdeen fans to get to away games. I'll read a bit more about it on the 4.5 hour train i get up to home games.

Did he even mention difficulty in getting to away games? Only 1 person that seems to be being precious here :lol:

There'll be plenty sheep for the Aberdeen fans to "play around with" before the match in the fields surrounding the ground.

Better known as the 'shire brothels...

Did he even mention difficulty in getting to away games? Only 1 person that seems to be being precious here :lol:

Yep. Repeatedly. Whenever their support is criticised it's the same rubbish about length of trips and where there fans are based.

Just find it pretty boring as someone that does far longer every week and told him as much.

Yep. Repeatedly. Whenever their support is criticised it's the same rubbish about length of trips and where there fans are based.

Just find it pretty boring as someone that does far longer every week and told him as much.

But he never mentioned a word of it [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

But he never mentioned a word of it [emoji38]

But said poster has repeatedly on other threads. And was moaning about getting stick on a football forum of a rival team when he tried a dig a few posts before himself.

I apologise I wasn't aware we couldn't bring up examples from other threads but seems perfectly fair to me.

John Gentleman

It hit -7 in Westhill on Monday. Westhill is an odd place. Based in a valley, in summer it is usually warmer by a few degrees than the city, but tends to spark showers, no other part of the shire ever seem to see. In winter it gets colder - much - dropped by 5 from Kingswells for example only 2 miles East.

Don't worry, you weren't picked on in 79/80, those temperatures, though not common are not unusual either. -21 I seen in Inverurie 1994

That'll be the least of their problems. At 57? North and with these wraparound roofs, the grass won't be seeing much sunshine.

But said poster has repeatedly on other threads. And was moaning about getting stick on a football forum of a rival team when he tried a dig a few posts before himself.

I apologise I wasn't aware we couldn't bring up examples from other threads but seems perfectly fair to me.

If that's the case then fair enough bud.

If that's the case then fair enough bud.

No worries at all good sir. FWIW I think it's also great news that any non Old Firm team is trying to improve their infrastructure, and good luck to them.

Surely with the drop in the value of oil, the land that Pittodrie is on right now is at an all time low?

I think it will be a reasonable enough stadium & transportation shouldn't be a huge issue I'd go to Westhill by going up past Tillydrone and the back road past Bucksburn it cuts out having to go through a packed city centre.

If I was an Aberdeen fan I would be a little concerned as you are certainly going to get minimum walk-ups and televised games will deter people even more so than it does now. Not seen any figures on what Pittodries land is worth but I'd imagine there would also be a significant funding gap.

This is assuming planning permission is approved,  Westhill is a sleepy little town and the residents may not take to kindly to 1000's of football fans invading every two weeks.

Certainly is a movement against the stadium from Westhill residents. Difficulty for them is that Westhill is Aberdeenshire while the stadium is in the City therefore, they can object all they like, but as the council who is making is not answerable to Westhill residents, they have not duty to take their objections on board.

Personally speaking, the pictures in the press look decent enough. Looks better than many other new builds in Scotland and a definite improvement on the past its sell by date Pittodrie. folk have compared it to New St Mirren Park - c'mon. Of course, it's all about the execution, we'll see what it's likes once (if) it gets built. Could it be better? Yeah, of course, at a price though and a price we can't afford. Regards souless and atmosphere - all about the fans.

For me, the location is a huge improvement on Pittodrie which is a feckin pain to get to unless you're city centre. I often drive from the south side of the city and take the kids - getting across town is a mare while there's nae real parking within a reasonable walking distance with young kids in tow. These things have stopped me going whereas the new stadium would/will encourage me to go to more games. The Western Periphery route will hugely improve access from north and south and the location is better for those driving/buses from the west. Accessibility from the city centre is a major issue and make or break regards the success and maintaining crowds. You'd think this has been recognised... It works in other countries, why not Scotland? And, tbf, it's hardly the ends of the earth. Aberdeen isn't that big. 

all in all, looking forward to it. Sorry in some respects to say by by to Pittodrie but an exciting development to look forward too.

scott herbertson

Certainly is a movement against the stadium from Westhill residents. Difficulty for them is that Westhill is Aberdeenshire while the stadium is in the City therefore, they can object all they like, but as the council who is making is not answerable to Westhill residents, they have not duty to take their objections on board.

Personally speaking, the pictures in the press look decent enough. Looks better than many other new builds in Scotland and a definite improvement on the past its sell by date Pittodrie. folk have compared it to New St Mirren Park - c'mon. Of course, it's all about the execution, we'll see what it's likes once (if) it gets built. Could it be better? Yeah, of course, at a price though and a price we can't afford. Regards souless and atmosphere - all about the fans.

For me, the location is a huge improvement on Pittodrie which is a feckin pain to get to unless you're city centre. I often drive from the south side of the city and take the kids - getting across town is a mare while there's nae real parking within a reasonable walking distance with young kids in tow. These things have stopped me going whereas the new stadium would/will encourage me to go to more games. The Western Periphery route will hugely improve access from north and south and the location is better for those driving/buses from the west. Accessibility from the city centre is a major issue and make or break regards the success and maintaining crowds. You'd think this has been recognised... It works in other countries, why not Scotland? And, tbf, it's hardly the ends of the earth. Aberdeen isn't that big. 

all in all, looking forward to it. Sorry in some respects to say by by to Pittodrie but an exciting development to look forward too.

That can't be right - the planning authority making the decision must have responsibility for the area (and be accountable to its residents) unless the issue is referred to central government on appeal

That can't be right - the planning authority making the decision must have responsibility for the area (and be accountable to its residents) unless the issue is referred to central government on appeal

Which they do. Stadium to be in Aberdeen City boundaries and, as such, ACC making planning decision.

Westhill in Aberdeenshire and under the jurisdiction of Aberdeenshire Council. ACC are not accountable to Westhill residents, Aberdeenshire Council are.

scott herbertson

Which they do. Stadium to be in Aberdeen City boundaries and, as such, ACC making planning decision.

Westhill in Aberdeenshire and under the jurisdiction of Aberdeenshire Council. ACC are not accountable to Westhill residents, Aberdeenshire Council are.

Ah right, thanks for the clarification

So the stadium's near Westhill but not in it

Ah right, thanks for the clarification

So the stadium's near Westhill but not in it

Correct. Stadium to be located along A944 between Kingswells and Westhill but, importantly, within ACC boundary.

Maybe been mentioned already if so apologies but why only 20000 capacity ?

Aberdeen can easily attract more than that for big games.

I'm fairly certain if Hearts had decided to move we would have enough looking for at least 25000 capacity.

If you are going to build a new stadium at least try and increase your fan base.

Correct. Stadium to be located along A944 between Kingswells and Westhill but, importantly, within ACC boundary.

As a major application, Aberdeenshire should be a consultee, especially if they're that close to the border between LAs?

Maybe been mentioned already if so apologies but why only 20000 capacity ?

Aberdeen can easily attract more than that for big games.

I'm fairly certain if Hearts had decided to move we would have enough looking for at least 25000 capacity.

If you are going to build a new stadium at least try and increase your fan base.

much debate on that but, tbh, 20k would be an increase in fans through the gate.

20k is right for now. Question as to whether it is right for the future. I understand at least part of the logic is to create a demand by limiting supply, something i believe Hearts benefit from. the other part is, of course, cost - ?40m for 20k seats gets you a better class/quality of stadium than ?40m for 20k.

As a major application, Aberdeenshire should be a consultee, especially if they're that close to the border between LAs?

Maybe, i don't know, I don't work in planning. Westhill residents have been consulted by the club, but it's whether or not ACC take notice of any objections. Being hard nosed about it, what impact on ACC does over looking/ignoring a complaint from Mr Nimby in a different local authority matter?

Maybe, i don't know, I don't work in planning. Westhill residents have been consulted by the club, but it's whether or not ACC take notice of any objections. Being hard nosed about it, what impact on ACC does over looking/ignoring a complaint from Mr Nimby in a different local authority matter?

Quite. Although there's usually more layers to the complexity of risk for councillors in their decision making than that. I don't know the lay of the land up that way though.

Speaking of land, what's the story with the land at Pittodrie? I may have missed this in discussion earlier on, but who owns it and what's the current status? Is it used by Aberdeen on lease?

Dont know if its been mentioned on here but Aberdeen had the first all seated stadium in the UK. Smug b.st.rds used to look down on us when HRH Fergie was an honoury member of Wooliebacks Inc..!

"MESSAGE"......"Good luck with the oil meltdown ya sheepshaggin' roughnecking redknecks"........Q..!!

Meadowbank Thistle had an all seater stadium as indeed did Clydebank at Kilbowie both before Aberdeen. They can't even boast about that.

Quite. Although there's usually more layers to the complexity of risk for councillors in their decision making than that. I don't know the lay of the land up that way though.

Speaking of land, what's the story with the land at Pittodrie? I may have missed this in discussion earlier on, but who owns it and what's the current status? Is it used by Aberdeen on lease?

Owned by AFC, or a subsidiary of - Talltray Ltd iirc. Football and stadium related businesses were separated a few years ago I think. Meaning were the football business to go into administration, the stadium would be safeguarded from creditors. That's my take on it at least.

Owned by AFC, or a subsidiary of - Talltray Ltd iirc. Football and stadium related businesses were separated a few years ago I think. Meaning were the football business to go into administration, the stadium would be safeguarded from creditors. That's my take on it at least.

I see. So why isn't redevelopment of the current site an option?

I see. So why isn't redevelopment of the current site an option?

The party line is

• physical restraints - site not big enough for the clubs needs,
  • munney - renovating more costly than new build, selling Pittodrie creates income to offset cost of build, disruption costs
  • and a desire to have training facilities and stadium in a single location.

the time to renovate was when the gas works behind the south stand were sold and flats built. Available land for the stadium at least. but would've been more akin to Spurs' renovation than building a stand at Tynie as the pitch orientaiton would need to be changed (I think)

The party line is

• physical restraints - site not big enough for the clubs needs,
  • munney - renovating more costly than new build, selling Pittodrie creates income to offset cost of build, disruption costs
  • and a desire to have training facilities and stadium in a single location.
the time to renovate was when the gas works behind the south stand were sold and flats built. Available land for the stadium at least. but would've been more akin to Spurs' renovation than building a stand at Tynie as the pitch orientaiton would need to be changed (I think)

Ah. Have the supporters groups done much about finding out about the credibility of this stuff for themselves? After being told repeatedly that Tynecastle was beyond saving (by someone with vested financial interest) and finding out that's just bollocks, I'd be tempted to question all that stuff these days.

Depends how much you see Pittodrie as your spiritual home, I suppose. For many of us, Tynecastle and Gorgie are inextricably entwined with the character and soul of the club. Yes, we face development constraints, but we're staying at home. I don't want my club's stadium to be in the middle of some industrial park in Gogarburn or Straiton, I can't imagine that ever feeling like home.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

New Roads!!! Only 40 years late but never mind

Lord Beni of Gorgie

much debate on that but, tbh, 20k would be an increase in fans through the gate.

20k is right for now. Question as to whether it is right for the future. I understand at least part of the logic is to create a demand by limiting supply, something i believe Hearts benefit from. the other part is, of course, cost - ?40m for 20k seats gets you a better class/quality of stadium than ?40m for 20k.

You are spot on there. I had it on good authority (the person that told me, close to a director, would not say anything to make me feel good!!!!) that they were of the thinking that Tynecastle worked well for us, twofold, limited capacity, drives demand and enclosed and intense.

I genuinely hope this comes off for you, Pittodrie, the first football ground I stepped into by the way, has never been the same since RDS went up. It died with the Beach End I'm afraid

Post 4036

:wtf:

Do they have no moderation :rofl:

Not really, anything goes pretty much. That forum's gone down hill hugely in past few years.  

To add, nothing to do with a lack of moderation and all to do with the "characters".

Edited by Sheepie

Not really, anything goes pretty much. That forum's gone down hill hugely in past few years.  

To add, nothing to do with a lack of moderation and all to do with the "characters".

3o85xu10Wg5Nl7xwVG.gif

• 1 month later...

Formal planning application lodged....

http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/6589/Aberdeen_FC_formalise_%C2%A340m_Kingsford_Stadium_plan.html

Also, if you click on the link in the story it will take you to the Aberdeen City Council planning portal where you can see the architect's proposals in detail.

Edited by mars plastic

IveSeenTheLight

Formal planning application lodged....

http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/6589/Aberdeen_FC_formalise_%C2%A340m_Kingsford_Stadium_plan.html

Also, if you click on the link in the story it will take you to the Aberdeen City Council planning portal where you can see the architect's proposals in detail.

LOL, first objection in.

A resident of Larbart, Stenhousemuir ;)

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/files/7AAA78F0B958C3C9024A9A1515146505/pdf/170021_DPP-Objects-Mr_gordon_jackson_FULL_-1441154.pdf

Edited by IveSeenTheLight

IveSeenTheLight

A suitable toilet bowl for the shite that will regularly inhabit it and play in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, I like the look about it and hope it will aid the matchday experience.

It should be more enlosed leading to a better atmosphere and better protection from the environment.

Bazzas right boot

Car use will be discouraged and they will be encouraging drivers to use the

"Park and Ride" facilities on the city outskirts.

This is an artists impression of one of them.

the-sheepfold.jpg

Lucky baaaaastards they a standing section.

LOL, I like the look about it and hope it will aid the matchday experience.

It should be more enlosed leading to a better atmosphere and better protection from the environment.

That term 'matchday experience' is the biggest load of corporate shite term going. I mean, who the feck goes to the fitba for an 'experience'? Along the lines of folk thinking it's trendy to refer to football clubs as 'projects' and 'models'.

IveSeenTheLight

That term 'matchday experience' is the biggest load of corporate shite term going. I mean, who the feck goes to the fitba for an 'experience'? Along the lines of folk thinking it's trendy to refer to football clubs as 'projects' and 'models'.

Maybe, but there are often fans I hear of not going to games because the weather is poor.

I've read a lot in here of Hearts fans not wanting to go to Pittodrie because of the stadium, view and exposure to the elements.

You can try and diss it as much as you want, but if it comes off, it will be a massive improvement for Aberdeen