Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Car use will be discouraged and they will be encouraging drivers to use the

"Park and Ride" facilities on the city outskirts. 

This is an artists impression of one of them.

the-sheepfold.jpg

Well if you are happy then who are we to criticize. It seems quite a few of your fellow Dons fans are yet to be convinced though.

I wouldn't bank on the special buses though. When St Johnstone first moved out of town there used to be special buses taking folk back into town leaving behind the stand. That didn't last long and nowadays you have to walk up to the main road to wait on a half hourly bus service which is always packed, if you can get on. They will make all the promises about special transport links to get everybody onside and then cut back by saying its too expensive to run etc at a later date.

The transport links in Aberdeen are a lot better than Perth, but I'm one of the fans who has still to be convinced. I've still waiting on the full plans (released tomorrow) to see what the new stadium actually includes (safe standing please) and to see what the transport strategy actually is. That's the two big things for me, because everything else about the stadium is good news.

I grew up in Westhill which is next to where the stadium will be and I know the area well so have no problem with the location. There is a lot of development happening right next to the planned site, with pubs, shops, restaurants, a hotel, so it's not really in the middle of no-where as some people would have you believe. There's also no reason why people can't stick to their usual pre-match rituals in the city centre, and then rather than walk 15 mins to pittodrie, spend that 15 mins on a shuttle bus to Kingsford (but waiting to actually see these transport plans before full lauding them).

I'm just happy to be getting shot of Pittodrie to be honest.

the-sheepfold.jpg

:D

No fan of out of town stadiums but its up to the Dons and their fans to make it work. Good to see other teams investing in their stadiums.

Aberdonians have high expectations of the new bypass they are building l would hate to rely on one road to get to a game. The Edinburgh bypass for example never has any congestion does it ? never mind building a 20K stadium next to it.

Glad we are staying in Gorgie.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

No fan of out of town stadiums but its up to the Dons and their fans to make it work. Good to see other teams investing in their stadiums.

Aberdonians have high expectations of the new bypass they are building l would hate to rely on one road to get to a game. The Edinburgh bypass for example never has any congestion does it ? never mind building a 20K stadium next to it.

Glad we are staying in Gorgie.

It isn't. There's roads going north, south, east and west from the stadium site - in addition to the bypass.

It's more accessible by road than Pittodrie is, which, being hemmed in at the beach and beside union street is actually very difficult to get away from quickly by car. Took me an hour to get from Pittodrie to the A90 after the Celtic game on my last visit.

Full plans being released tomorrow. Just the two released today - the one in the OP and this one.

161123_stadium_page_1.jpg

This is a bit like when I have to discuss religion with my in-laws...

'It's really good. Wow! If I was to follow 'The Dons' from a backward location, then that would be great place to do it from"

:thumbsup:

Stephen Muddie

the-sheepfold.jpg

Christ that boy looks shagged oot

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Once again I feel a bit empty taking the piss out of a club for a stadium when they could very possibly be lifting a trophy in three days. I'll wait until we have another chance at silverware rather than mocking other clubs for the quality of their stadium tours.

Once again I feel a bit empty taking the piss out of a club for a stadium when they could very possibly be lifting a trophy in three days. I'll wait until we have another chance at silverware rather than mocking other clubs for the quality of their stadium tours.

Old Droopy Dog couldnt have put it better himself!!!!!

I can't understand why the font just refurb where they are. Where there fans even consulted?

It's also easy that they can't get more fans to by season tickets as dome gates are as low as 11.5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could get from the Train Station to KWesthill (Kingsford) in 20 minutes

25 if the traffic is a bit heavier.

The P&R bus would take 254 mins and runs every 15 minutes

Ok, we don't have a Haymarket which is a 10 minute walk.

Another 1 up for Tynecastle ;)

Not everyone can be expected to have a Haymarket, that's fair, but it's just the idea of travelling all the way to the centre of one of Scotland's big cities and then still having a bugger of a journey to get to where you're going. It'll change the appeal of Aberdeen as an away day.

If Ann Budge sold Tynecastle to generate money for her own personal business, racked up twenty million quid worth of debt to build a 'Lego stadium' (with less capacity than we currently have) and a few training pitches out by Ratho and then told us to be happy cause it's near the New Forth Bridge and a park-and-ride, I'd be absolutely livid.

Aberdeen must be absolutely brain dead

I'm really confused by their reaction to it. I don't understand why they're okay with this at all. [emoji53]

manaliveits105

You could swop the Aberdeen badge for TK Max and it looks like any other retail park .

Aberdeen are a kinda TK Max football club .

You could swop the Aberdeen badge for TK Max and it looks like any other retail park .

Aberdeen are a kinda TK Max football club .

Was TK maxx good for a couple of years in the 80s and then been utterly pointless since? 

kingantti1874

I think the proposal looks fine, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't want to do similar as it's a bit off an the the shelf identikit design and the location sounds soulless but I don't think Aberdeen were ever going to build the emirates of the north..

I'm interested to see how they raise the full ?40m without crippling themselves.. how much is pittodrie going to raise and where is the delta coming from !!?

kingantti1874

I'm really confused by their reaction to it. I don't understand why they're okay with this at all. [emoji53]

I think it's because they don't like pittodrie, the location or the ground itself.. it is a bit shit tbh... certainly don't have the same empathy for it as we recognise for tynecastle..

kingantti1874

All a bit hibs isn't it..

How can a stadium that hasn't even got past planning permission never mind been built already be "soulless"?

A stadium's atmosphere comes from the fans that are in it. Where the stadium is or what the view is like outside it has nothing to do with that.

Bayern Munich and Juventus both have stadiums that are in the middle of no-where. Neither could be classed as soulless.

As for "shite transport links", the new stadium would actually be more accessible by road and bus than Pittodrie. The one thing it lacks is a train station, however shuttle buses will run from the station to the ground.

The 'soulless' thing that gets trotted out regularly on here is an absolute nonsense term that means nothing. It's a building.

It could and of course, I'm biased in my opinion.

Both Tynecastle and the new Aberdeen stadium will have a similar capacity, but very different looking grounds. And I know which one I prefer. One Aberdeen fan has described it as "St Mirren Park with the corners filled in". It doesn't look nearly as good as the futuristic white-bowl that IveSeenTheLight posted.  

But location wise, it is a gamble. If Hearts moved out to Kirknewton or Ratho, I would still attend, and I suspect Aberdeen crowds might shoot up for the first season or two. But after that?

In short, I just don't like out-of-town stadia. The facilities will be good, but something would be missing for me.

This is exactly where I'm at. Really don't like out-of-town stadiums.

And it's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like 'saucer' might describe it better than 'bowl'.

It's funny you guys are inferring it as a lego stadium before it's even built.

Did you realise Tynecastle has the nickname of the Pink Lego stadium.

Not a dig, just made me smirk that's all.

The important thing is what happens on the park.

I'm concerned about how this will be funded, but with the training facilities being ready first and the opportunity to rent it out when not required then it could see our revenue stream increase.

I agree that fans make the atmosphere, but the stadium can make a difference.

the images above don't suggest to me a worsening atmosphere, but potentially an opportunity to improve.

Actually, it's the Pink Bus Shelter.

Despite the fawning from one or two on here, you can't seriously expect us to be positive about anything Aberdeen do, do you?

It isn't. There's roads going north, south, east and west from the stadium site - in addition to the bypass.

It's more accessible by road than Pittodrie is, which, being hemmed in at the beach and beside union street is actually very difficult to get away from quickly by car. Took me an hour to get from Pittodrie to the A90 after the Celtic game on my last visit.

Genuinely hope it works out for you but 1600 cars leaving a carpark at fulltime has traffic chaos written all over it. Ive wasted years of my life at Newbridge and Gogar roundabouts , so would say the public transport has to be spot on for this to succeed.

You would hope Milne and co had researched how people currently travel to and from Pittodrie. They should know which areas their season ticket holders live in and travel from.

It's a good location for a traing ground and academy but if i was a dons fan i would want to stay in the town.

Overall development including training facilities look good.

Overhead view of enclosed stadium roofs looks good.

Enclosed corners including boxes and screens (?) look good.

Not convinced on retail park exterior TK Maxx as suggested

Terracing, seating look shallow and the distance from last row to roof and distance from pitch doesn't bode for a great 'game watching' experience. I'm sure however, inside all the stands will have all modern day match day experience facilities that only our main stand will be able to offer.

Huge risk on taking the club out of town.  I'm yet to be convinced the Retail Park football stadium, not part of a community will work in Scotland.

Due to our pitch dimensions, we will never have a 5 Star European standard stadium,, which I'm sure the new Aberdeen ground, like Easter Road will have.

Andy Townsend said of Tynie - 'There may only be seventeen thousand in here, but it feels like seventy'

Take that any day.

Edited by DETTY29

John Gentleman

It's funny you guys are inferring it as a lego stadium before it's even built.

Did you realise Tynecastle has the nickname of the Pink Lego stadium.

Not a dig, just made me smirk that's all.

Tynecastle's mair like Meccano than Lego.

I'm biased but a combination of being Doonhamer born, good weather and Hearts wins, but many Hearts fans I know said their favourite ground / trip in years was Palmerston Park.

Community football and a history is vital.

I think it's because they don't like pittodrie, the location or the ground itself.. it is a bit shit tbh... certainly don't have the same empathy for it as we recognise for tynecastle..

Ah right. I can't imagine how that feels at all. I know it's a bit of a mess but it's in a great location and crucially it's in Aberdeen itself. They've been there since 1899 apparently, and that's a long time by anyone's standards. Fancy not loving your home, that's difficult to process. [emoji52]

Nelly Terraces

Dress it up how you like, out of town football grounds are almost without exception utterly crap, devoid of atmosphere & a pain to get to/from.

It's also not like Germany where you get free travel to the ground either, and the police don't mind you having a drink - it's more expense and you get treated like a potential criminal by heavy handed cops.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Coming from the city, its my 2nd derby if you will. I am not fond of the club it is fair to say, and why I get peeved with Hearts fans who feel overly entitled, that is very Aberdeen I have to say. Anyhow, that's another issue, but suffice to say anything I do say here is not with fondness for my home town!!!

I actually think this is a good thing. Pittodrie is not very good, Aberdeen as a sporting city has been bereft. We now have the Sports Village which is a great facility, but anything that aids kid playing, and this undoubtedly will has to be good in general.

Aberdonians, I am not convinced will flock (pun intended) to this new arena. It is better placed moving forward, on the new road, much better than the bottleneck the current midden is located. However there is nothing really around, except Westhill, where I sit at this very moment. The "good" people of Westhill are not overly keen, up their own arses the lot of them (bar a few black sheep that got in when the money was good - another intended pun).

Key to the success will be parking. Park and ride generally is not a done thing in Aberdeen, the people don't like buses, they are generally reserved for our friends who have migrated to the city, elderly ladies or young ladies and their screaming kids. To be fair I understand why they don't like them.

But the Aiberdeener, likes to travel in his Audi, Beemer or 4x4er to the match (I have been this man - Shamefaced). They don't like traffic and they don't like getting out of the city. So on matchday I don't think it will see a big uptake, maybe a novelty factor, but like Hibs, first signs of trouble, they wont be in a hurry back. Check the crowds now bang in the city, they can spraff whatever they like about declarations of attendance, but they are kidding themselves.

The main reason this should go ahead is the training facility. The city needs it, and for once and only once, I wish them well.

Edited by Sir Gio

scott herbertson

Dress it up how you like, out of town football grounds are almost without exception utterly crap, devoid of atmosphere & a pain to get to/from.

It's also not like Germany where you get free travel to the ground either, and the police don't mind you having a drink - it's more expense and you get treated like a potential criminal by heavy handed cops.

Exactly

Abroad you can stand around outside with a hot dog and a beer

I Aberdeen your hot dog would have icicles hanging off it and you'd have an Irn Bru

I'm out...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Exactly

I Aberdeen your hot dog would have icicles hanging off it and you'd have an Irn Bru

I'm out...

It would this past week Scott. Thankfully it got warm enough on Tuesday to hose down, and give us the joy of black ice instead of plain old frost :rolleyes:

IveSeenTheLight

I wouldn't bank on the special buses though. When St Johnstone first moved out of town there used to be special buses taking folk back into town leaving behind the stand. That didn't last long and nowadays you have to walk up to the main road to wait on a half hourly bus service which is always packed, if you can get on. They will make all the promises about special transport links to get everybody onside and then cut back by saying its too expensive to run etc at a later date.

No need for special transport.

The X40 already runs every 20 minutes on a Saturday.

I'm sure once completed First bus would consider extending the route past the new stadium at peak times

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No need for special transport.

The X40 already runs every 20 minutes on a Saturday.

I'm sure once completed First bus would consider extending the route past the new stadium at peak times

They can run as many as they like, 2 buses for an Aberdonian is too much to cope with :)

Where does the X40 run to and from currently? My particular location, I would have to go 5 miles one way to come back 7 the other, I don't see that being doable for most people, they are going to have to get the parking right, and traffic control

Ah right. I can't imagine how that feels at all. I know it's a bit of a mess but it's in a great location and crucially it's in Aberdeen itself. They've been there since 1899 apparently, and that's a long time by anyone's standards. Fancy not loving your home, that's difficult to process. [emoji52]

There are some things like intrinsic value that can never be replaced. I would have hated to leave Tynecastle

scott herbertson

It would this past week Scott. Thankfully it got warm enough on Tuesday to hose down, and give us the joy of black ice instead of plain old frost :rolleyes:

Ha Ha

I was there September 1979 to june 1980 so saw them a few times in their league winning year (Strachan, Weir and McMaster were outstanding).

It was absolutely bloody freezing in my student flat - we had a meter for the gas which we basically couldn't afford. We all wore our duvets indoors it was that bad. I just checked and on January 14th 1980 there it was -14C

IveSeenTheLight

Not everyone can be expected to have a Haymarket, that's fair, but it's just the idea of travelling all the way to the centre of one of Scotland's big cities and then still having a bugger of a journey to get to where you're going. It'll change the appeal of Aberdeen as an away day.

Well in perspective

Haymarket to Tynecastle - 1.2 miles

Aberdeen Train Station to Pittodrie - 1.5 miles

Aberdeen to Kingsford - 6.2 miles

So it's 4 times further than the current stadium, but only 20 mins on the bus.

Entirely possible to enjoy the town refreshments and then jump on the bus to the stadium.

I've seen times when there is a scramble to get on the train at Haymarket before its gets full after a game to the point that some walk to Waverley to get a better chance of securing a seat on the train.

Indeed it's not the first time I've had to stand the whole way on a train after a game at Tynecastle.

I'm sure the swathes of visiting fans will cope if they want to see the game live.

IveSeenTheLight

Was TK maxx good for a couple of years in the 80s and then been utterly pointless since? 

Ok, biting a little bit here, but you guys trot out the 80's far more than any dons fan I see on forums.

If we are pointless as a club, then how do Hearts fare?

Are Motherwell a pointless club? If so, what would you be doing this Saturday if Motherwell did not exist.

Are Hibs pointless?, in fact which teams are worthy of playing against Hearts?

We all support our teams for whatever reasons and it is extremely important to have an opposition to play against, otherwise there is no game.

It would really put me off going to Aberdeen if I then had another 20-25 minute bus journey on top of the train journey to go to the match. Hopefully they do something about this.

Ok, biting a little bit here, but you guys trot out the 80's far more than any dons fan I see on forums.

If we are pointless as a club, then how do Hearts fare?

Are Motherwell a pointless club? If so, what would you be doing this Saturday if Motherwell did not exist.

Are Hibs pointless?, in fact which teams are worthy of playing against Hearts?

We all support our teams for whatever reasons and it is extremely important to have an opposition to play against, otherwise there is no game.

Bit like the pink lego stuff aye?

It's a football forum - i made a joke, and you bit. So i achieved my goal. 

Do you honestly expect to constantly try and patronise people and Hearts on a Hearts messageboard and not get a bit of stick back? Stop being so precious. 

And in answer to your question I'd be making the 900 mile round trip I make to see Hearts every week whoever they were playing, as I care about Hearts. But please come on here and tell us a bit more about how hard it is for Aberdeen fans to get to away games. I'll read a bit more about it on the 4.5 hour train i get up to home games. 

Nelly Terraces

Exactly

I'm out...

Indeed. Be better off washing down your 'dog with antifreeze!

I remember being in Dusseldorf heading to Dortmund for a Scotland game a few years back (free travel there/back with match ticket of course), struggling to open a bottle of beer on the platform when a cop comes up, laughing, whips out a bottle opener & does the job for me! Can't see the same scenario for a trip to this place!