Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

I'm normally opposed to bland new stadiums replacing the old, but Pittodrie is a cold, ugly, bleak, shit stadium that I wouldn't miss at all

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IveSeenTheLight

The bypass that isn't there?

Which is currently being built will be completed long before the stadium is completed

Shit! Sorry man. I never realised it had a bypass and park 'n' ride view!

:wow:

You only see the castle from one stand but to be honest, when I go to Tynecastle, I'm looking on the pitch at the game, not at the castle.

I don't go to the Gyle shopping centre or the Royal Mile etc.

I do enjoy going into a local for some light refreshment after going right round the stadium from theaway end detour, but once inside the ground, it's the action on the pitch that matters.

Right now at Pittodrie, there is very little facilities pre and post match, certainly none attributed to the club, so there is an opportunity to capitalise on this with the new development.

My point was mainly relating to access. I certainly think it will be easier to get to / from than Pittodrie currently is.

Edited by IveSeenTheLight

...a bit disco

It's funny you guys are inferring it as a lego stadium before it's even built.

Did you realise Tynecastle has the nickname of the Pink Lego stadium.

Not a dig, just made me smirk that's all.

The important thing is what happens on the park.

I'm concerned about how this will be funded, but with the training facilities being ready first and the opportunity to rent it out when not required then it could see our revenue stream increase.

I agree that fans make the atmosphere, but the stadium can make a difference.

the images above don't suggest to me a worsening atmosphere, but potentially an opportunity to improve.

:lol:

'Let's be honest here.....

St Mirren park with the corners filled in?

The outside looks good though.'

'I might be jumping the gun a bit but that photo is the definition of a 'soulless lego' stadium'

'Surprise surprise, it looks absolute crap. 

Let's hope this doesn't go ahead, there is no need for Aberdeen FC to die a death for this pathetic, tin pot, lego brick, pie in the sky, shitty "stadium". '

All the above, comments from Aberdeen fans.

:thumbsup:

Edited by ...a bit disco

Can somebody post a picture of the potential view from our new hospitality terrace and then post a picture of the likely view from Aberdeens i.e. a field and a bypass?

Used to date a lovely lady from Westhill and spent alot of time there as you say there is very little in the way of amenities there, there is a costco which was worth a trip.

The dual carriageway from aberdeen to the mini-roundabout at westhill will need to be looked at if you are expecting a lot of traffic.

The whole drive out from Aberdeen city centre takes an age. I used to arrive by train and pick up hire car at the station or take a taxi out to Westhill depending on the rest of my plans for my visit. That drive was always grim, no matter what time of day. Equivalent of driving from City centre to Bilston in heavy traffic, mostly. Urgh.

IveSeenTheLight

Can somebody post a picture of the potential view from our new hospitality terrace and then post a picture of the likely view from Aberdeens i.e. a field and a bypass?

I go to the game to watch the game.

I go to the hospitality to partake int he refreshments.

I concede a terrace looking at the castle will be nice and better than Aberdeen's.

It's not really a deal breaker though is it.

what would you want, a view of the harbour / beach?

You can go to Leith to get that if your desperate ;)

:lol:

'Let's be honest here.....

St Mirren park with the corners filled in?

The outside looks good though.'

'I might be jumping the gun a bit but that photo is the definition of a 'soulless lego' stadium'

'Surprise surprise, it looks absolute crap. 

Let's hope this doesn't go ahead, there is no need for Aberdeen FC to die a death for this pathetic, tin pot, lego brick, pie in the sky, shitty "stadium". '

All the above, comments from Aberdeen fans.

:thumbsup:

Yes, I understand, there will always be some who are against the plans

IveSeenTheLight

The whole drive out from Aberdeen city centre takes an age. I used to arrive by train and pick up hire car at the station or take a taxi out to Westhill depending on the rest of my plans for my visit. That drive was always grim, no matter what time of day. Equivalent of driving from City centre to Bilston in heavy traffic, mostly. Urgh.

I could get from the Train Station to KWesthill (Kingsford) in 20 minutes

25 if the traffic is a bit heavier.

The P&R bus would take 254 mins and runs every 15 minutes

Ok, we don't have a Haymarket which is a 10 minute walk.

Another 1 up for Tynecastle ;)

I go to the game to watch the game.

I go to the hospitality to partake int he refreshments.

I concede a terrace looking at the castle will be nice and better than Aberdeen's.

It's not really a deal breaker though is it.

what would you want, a view of the harbour / beach?

You can go to Leith to get that if your desperate ;)

The castle view will help sell the facilities on non match days. For modern stadiums, it's not all about the match day event

Hearts should just build a stadium beside the Kelpies. Great access to motorways and pure easy to get to. Can we cancel our new stand at this late stage?? :rofl:

Hearts should just build a stadium beside the Kelpies. Great access to motorways and pure easy to get to. Can we cancel our new stand at this late stage?? :rofl:

:D

Falkirk already have

A_A wehatethehibs

I don't think it looks too bad. Better than pittodrie at least which is just shambolic now.

But still makes me think Wardagh Conn MacKay and Bauld would turn in their graves if we moved to a flat pack like Aberdeen are. Gorgie and the brewery smell runs deep in the blood of the phm

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

scott herbertson

The location will be right on the bypass and park and ride routes making access very good.

I believe they may also be looking at revenue opportunities before and after the game.

Does that mean little kids offering to look after your car in the park and ride for a fiver?

Edit - I should have added i have fond memories of the old Pittodrie having done a post grad in Aberdeen in the year when they won the league under Fergie. Good atmosphere. Will be sad to see another urban football ground go

Edited by scott herbertson

Prefer a city centre stadium, with plenty pubs/clubs for pre and post match drinks, than an out of town drive or bus ride. Looks an ok stadium but I'm glad it's not ours.

IveSeenTheLight

No it doesn't, you made that up.   

Sorry but I didn't

Quick google found a couple of examples, but it's generally referred to amongst the fans

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38022511&p=38022556&viewfull=1#post38022556

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=37808120&p=37808631&viewfull=1#post37808631

IveSeenTheLight

Does that mean little kids offering to look after your car in the park and ride for a fiver?

Edit - I should have added i have fond memories of the old Pittodrie having done a post grad in Aberdeen in the year when they won the league under Fergie. Good atmosphere. Will be sad to see another urban football ground go

Settle, this is no Glasgow or Gorgie ;) just in jest

I'm sure when they looked at the Loch of Loirston, they considered putting in a golf course / range with some local pubs / restaurants.

There's plenty of ground around the facility to expand into this.

Could be a good option, round of golf, few pints and then the game.

Years away, but the potential is there

I've never heard Tynecastle referred to as the Pink Lego Stadium before. If you're of a certain green and white persuasion, you might call it the Pink Bus Shelter, but as for calling it a Lego stadium, it's one of the most unique stadiums in the country, and is as far away from a flat pack stadium as I can see.

Good on them for doing it, but if Aberdeen want to build a new stadium, they should do it without copying one of the default stadiums from FIFA 17. I hate seeing the same "Out of a catalogue" stadium all over the country :(

scott herbertson

Settle, this is no Glasgow or Gorgie ;) just in jest

I'm sure when they looked at the Loch of Loirston, they considered putting in a golf course / range with some local pubs / restaurants.

There's plenty of ground around the facility to expand into this.

Could be a good option, round of golf, few pints and then the game.

Years away, but the potential is there

What I said was a joke, hopefully you realised that - there'll be no kids there anyway as it's in the middle of nowhere  :sunny:

I don't think golf courses make money anyway. I understand that American guy has got a part time job now so he's probably losing interest.

Seriously I think golf courses, unless they are top end, are struggling. You would be better, if you can get planning, going for a complex with franchised five a side, mini golf, huge kids play barn, etc and aim for throughout the week coverage (also gives you an option to market to the client groups

It really isn't a nice place. I'm surprised more is not made of how totally shit a stadium it is.

Exterior - Metal-clad nod to the Royal Infirmary. No distinguishing features like an entrance or plaza.

Internal view - All the stands are scattered about the place at random distances from each other, and they are all metres from the pitch.

Stadium interior - Breezeblocks. Shite strip-lights. Breezeblocks. Breezeblocks.

It's like something from 1960's East Germany.

Hey, that's a bit unfair on totalitatrian/iron curtain brutalist architecture! Easter Road isn't even imposing - it's simply characterless and ramshackle...

This is proper brutalist stadia design:

tumblr_n3ty4uIGRI1t96rc2o1_1280.jpg

Dynama Stadium, Minsk, Belarus.

****ing hilarious Aberdeen fans lapping this up as some sort of progress. ?40 million quid for a cardboard box ground and a training pitch or two in the middle of nowhere?

How many Scottish clubs have moved to these soulless grounds and how many have prospered?

Looks utter shite

If Ann Budge sold Tynecastle to generate money for her own personal business, racked up twenty million quid worth of debt to build a 'Lego stadium' (with less capacity than we currently have) and a few training pitches out by Ratho and then told us to be happy cause it's near the New Forth Bridge and a park-and-ride, I'd be absolutely livid.

Aberdeen must be absolutely brain dead

queensferryjambo

Hibs have also just started stadium tours.

Think Hibs have done them for years to be fair through the Hibernian Historical Trust definitely longer than Hearts have done stadium tours.

You might remember a few years ago there was an article about old players shirts on display that were stolen during their stadium tours. Hibs class.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Pittodrie is actually one of very few senior grounds in Scotland I've never been to, I'll have to visit before they tear it down.

Makes you appreciate staying at tynie when you see what ?40m gets you. Surely it'll look better than that?

Edited by Jambos1983

Pittodrie is actually one of very few senior grounds in Scotland I've never been to, I'll have to visit before they tear it down.

You really shouldnt make the effort, its fecking awful and has played a part pre McInnes to their pitiful performances in the previous 20 odd years.....

Hey, that's a bit unfair on totalitatrian/iron curtain brutalist architecture! Easter Road isn't even imposing - it's simply characterless and ramshackle...

This is proper brutalist stadia design:

tumblr_n3ty4uIGRI1t96rc2o1_1280.jpg

Dynama Stadium, Minsk, Belarus.

Much better than the piggery! B)

It's great, considering the lack of dosh in the Scottish game, that clubs are still able to expand or build new stadia.

The majority of clubs in this country are starting to get their houses in order and build the infrastructure that should (hopefully) see us as a nation progress.

We don't have the money that is flying about down south, but if clubs with potential like Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibernian (if they ever get out that division) have modern-looking and full stadia, then we could definitely raise the profile of the game in Scotland.

Good luck to them.

queensferryjambo

It was great when we used to get the beach end and took up decent grounds.

It is really crap since they moved the away fans into that crappy pen :(

Is the stadium being sponsored by IKEA?

It's truly horrific. If I was a Aberdeen fan I would be embarrassed, angry and shocked. Seems no thought or imagination has went into this. A flatpac off the shelf stadium aka Livi, St Mirren, Saints etc.....

Has any thought went Into travelling fans arriving by Train ? Not that I would expect AFC to worry about this.At a guess,I would say,If you arrive In Aberdeen Train Station,It would take near to an hour to get to the ground on a busy Match Day.Do away fans really want to share buses laid on for Aberdeen fans to travel on ? IMO not the greatest of designs for a Stadium and the wrong location.Are they keeping the Aberdeen name,despite not playing In Aberdeen ?

Aberdeen fans seem to be divided on this. That in itself is not a good thing you have to have the fans onside for that kind of commitment.

Its not even giving them an increased capacity and a net spend(debt ?) of ?20million. If the expenditure on the new stadium impacts on team budget this could backfire badly.

I think it is just a bigger version of McDiarmid Park although I admit to being biased against new build out of town stadiums that look more like a shopping centre than a football ground.

Thank god for Ann budge and Tynecastle. :smile:

Makes you appreciate staying at tynie when you see what ?40m gets you. Surely it'll look better than that?

. Wrong quote.

Edited by Irufushi

It's ****ing shite. The sycophants are lapping it up already though....

Hopefully that photos released earlier are playing the plans down but I suspect not.

Worst stadium in the top flight, imo. Like going back in time.

WoolfordsHearts

If Ann Budge sold Tynecastle to generate money for her own personal business, racked up twenty million quid worth of debt to build a 'Lego stadium' (with less capacity than we currently have) and a few training pitches out by Ratho and then told us to be happy cause it's near the New Forth Bridge and a park-and-ride, I'd be absolutely livid.

Aberdeen must be absolutely brain dead

It is close to a by-pass though.

:illogical:

As for Aberdeen's new ground. It is a souless bowl. Souless bowls near town centres are bad enough but ones in the middle of the countryside, on the edge of towns are awful. 

Shite transport links, no pubs.

How can a stadium that hasn't even got past planning permission never mind been built already be "soulless"?

A stadium's atmosphere comes from the fans that are in it. Where the stadium is or what the view is like outside it has nothing to do with that.

Bayern Munich and Juventus both have stadiums that are in the middle of no-where. Neither could be classed as soulless.

As for "shite transport links", the new stadium would actually be more accessible by road and bus than Pittodrie. The one thing it lacks is a train station, however shuttle buses will run from the station to the ground.

It was great when we used to get the beach end and took up decent grounds.

Beach end was the greatest of away days at times. Some great wins up there.

How can a stadium that hasn't even got past planning permission never mind been built already be "soulless"?

A stadium's atmosphere comes from the fans that are in it. Where the stadium is or what the view is like outside it has nothing to do with that.

Bayern Munich and Juventus both have stadiums that are in the middle of no-where. Neither could be classed as soulless.

As for "shite transport links", the new stadium would actually be more accessible by road and bus than Pittodrie. The one thing it lacks is a train station, however shuttle buses will run from the station to the ground.

This is Scotland. It'll be a large version of McDiarmid Park, which is brutal to even think about

Dont know if its been mentioned on here but Aberdeen had the first all seated stadium in the UK. Smug b.st.rds used to look down on us when HRH Fergie was an honoury member of Wooliebacks Inc..!

"MESSAGE"......"Good luck with the oil meltdown ya sheepshaggin' roughnecking redknecks"........Q..!!

Edited by Section Q

Dont know if its been mentioned on here but Aberdeen had the first all seated stadium in the UK. Smug b.st.rds used to look down on us when HRH Fergie was an honoury member of Wooliebacks Inc..!

"MESSAGE"......"Good luck with the oil meltdown ya sheepshaggin' roughnecking redknecks"........Q..!!

We're in a cup final at the weekend and above you in the league. We're still looking down on you!

Well if you are happy then who are we to criticize. It seems quite a few of your fellow Dons fans are yet to be convinced though.

I wouldn't bank on the special buses though. When St Johnstone first moved out of town there used to be special buses taking folk back into town leaving behind the stand. That didn't last long and nowadays you have to walk up to the main road to wait on a half hourly bus service which is always packed, if you can get on. They will make all the promises about special transport links to get everybody onside and then cut back by saying its too expensive to run etc at a later date.